ADVERTISEMENT

Was Kyric's fumble the biggest turnover in NU history?

ParisCat

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2002
We had all the momentum after Paddy's interception. Then Kyric puts it on the ground and MSU takes over the game from there. Given the stakes, I can't think of a bigger turnover ever. Maybe Musso's "fumble" in the Rose Bowl?

Having said that, Kyric has had a great career and I'm confident that he'll come up big for us again in the next few games. I don't mean to dis the young man... but man, that hurt.
It sure felt that way. I thought the game was won with the INT. Then the fumble, and it felt like it was only a matter of time before we gave up the game.

We had all the momentum after Paddy's interception. Then Kyric puts it on the ground and MSU takes over the game from there. Given the stakes, I can't think of a bigger turnover ever. Maybe Musso's "fumble" in the Rose Bowl?

Yeah, if you had to find one play that swung the game back towards MSU, I’d agree.

That being said, there were certainly missed opportunities throughout the game. Multiple third down drops, lack of contain on 3rd down scrambles, and so on.

I’m sure Kyric feels terrible about that one, but plenty of blame to go around, including the coaching staff.

I was bummed right after the game, but it’s pretty awesome that the team can fall on back on the opportunity to play for a Big Ten title.

I mean the fact NU was in the national conservation regarding playoff even for a week was insane! Never thought that would be the case in October. Hard for me to be too broken up.

No. The bad snap in punt formation against Miami of Ohio kept the Cats from a perfect regular season that would have left the Cats at 2nd in country entering the Rose Bowl.

Possibly, however, I believe Barnett felt that loss focused the 1995 squad for their run in BIG play.

If today’s loss were to accomplish the same result for the current Cats, sign me up.

MRCat would have great insight here.

Last edited:
I still think the interception in the fourth quarter against USC in the 1995 (Jan 1 1996) Rose Bowl was the biggest. We had come roaring back to take the lead 32-31, and had forced USC to punt it back, only to turn it over on a play where Hartl was open downfield. It was a killer. If Schnur hits Hartl, I think we continue the drive, and likely score again to win the game. We were ranked #3 at the time. A win would have had finish #3 in the country.

Kyric's turnover was a game changer, but the truth is this team is not nearly good enough to do battle in the college playoff. The offensive line is really feeble in the run game, and we don't have playmakers on offense to take the top off any defense. We had a bad game and were exposed today.

Last edited:
I still think the interception in the fourth quarter against USC in the 1995 (Jan 1 1996) Rose Bowl was the biggest. We had come roaring back to take the lead 32-31, and had forced USC to punt it back, only to turn it over on a play where Hartl was open downfield. It was a killer. If Schnur hits Hartl, I think we continue the drive, and likely score again to win the game. We were ranked #3 at the time. A win would have had finish #3 in the country.

Kyric's turnover was a game changer, but the truth is this team is not nearly good enough to do battle in the college playoff. The offensive line is really feeble in the run game, and we don't have playmakers on offense to take the top off any defense. We had a bad game and were exposed today.
Poor time for a fumble! We need Bowser healthy

Possibly, however, I believe Barnett felt that loss focused the 1995 squad for their run in BIG play.

If today’s loss were to accomplish the same result for the current Cats, sign me up.

MRCat would have great insight here.

Ohio State apparently still has a path to the Big Ten Championship game. Northwestern's path is even more likely at this point in time. While today's loss is a tough pill to swallow today, it certainly could be the medicine that is eventually credited for winning against Ohio State in that game if that becomes our lot.

Yep, that was the ballgame!

No. That's silly. Maybe if the identical situation happened in the Big Ten title game. Although that pick in the 4th quarter of the Rose Bowl vs USC stands out in my mind. And I don't consider Musso's because it was a bad call.

Was Fitz’s decision to go for it on 4th and 1 at the 18 instead of kicking the FG the worst coaching decision in NU’s first quarter history?

Was the 75 yard TD that Ruiz gave up the biggest blown coverage in NU history?

Was the non-pass interference on Ramsey’s first pick the worst officiating call in NU history?

Are we good enough to climb out of multiple 17 point B1G holes?

Was the blocking the worst we’ve ever seen?

Answers: No. No. No. No. Probably not.

Stop blaming it on Kyric. This was as much of a team loss as they come. We didn’t play like a top 8 B1G team, much less a top 8 CFP team - and MSU beat us.

On to the next one.

Last edited:
Past is History the Future a mystery all that matters is the present prepare and live for today's moment.

Reactions: cat inkansas
The guy had seven catches for 80 against Wisconsin (in what some were calling the biggest victory in NU history) and a week later, he's responsible for the worst turnover in NU history? Tough crowd ...
well he fumbled just one play after NU had taken over because of a MSU turnover. I'd have to say that fumble was the ball game.

Reactions: No Chores
well he fumbled just one play after NU had taken over because of a MSU turnover. I'd have to say that fumble was the ball game.
I agree. Our momentum evaporated after that fumble. Worse yet, it was a no contact fumble on a play in which I believe Kyric would have scored, or at the very least have taken the ball deep into the red zone. While I recognize that mistakes are a part of the game, that one was particularly huge.

Reactions: willycat
I agree... that one was particularly huge.
tenor.gif

Reactions: IAWildcat79
Was it LaVelle Brown who fumbled in '97 vs Wisconsin late in game heading toward the north Endzone? Beautiful night with ESPN in the house. Long walk back to the car at SPAC that night.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Obviously the fumble was a critical point, but I don't like to put everything on one play or blame one player. Winning and losing is the result of an accumulation of what went on throughout the game. You have an interception or fumble, then your defense needs to force a three and out. If the defense gives up a big play for a TD, then the offense needs to respond.

There were other negative critical points like the pass interference call that was cancelled and allowed MSU an interception and return to the red zone that led to a quick TD, but even on officiating errors, you may need to be good enough to overcome them or at least assume their bad calls against you or cancel out the bad calls for you. There was the repeat inability to push through the MSU front seven to get short yards for 1st downs or TDs. The dubious calls to go for it on 4th down in the early part of the game. It adds up.

Overall, I would note the critical points in the game but remember that they win as a team and lose as a team.

It was not the ball game. Letting Lombardi get to the edge on a read-option for the final first down was. A punt there and we have enough time for a drive to set up Kuhbander.
That play made me ill. Not so much that we lost out in a critical stop, but that a senior leader blew his assignment on a routine play at a critical time. Just very uncharacteristic of our team.

Musso's fumble in the rose bowl, even though it wasn't a fumble. Kyric's fumble saved us an embarrassing loss in the college playoffs. I drank the purple kool aid and thought we were contenders but we are just pretenders again.

His fumble helped save us, and at the same time it didn't give up our position to get to the BTC. I'm not joking. And I hope that OSU gets one more game cancelled because I think we have a great shot at clobbering indy. Then go to the Fiesta and we should be ok, or at least competitive. But, no, we would have been thoroughly embarassed against Alabama. The line would have been 45 pts at least.

Was it LaVelle Brown who fumbled in '97 vs Wisconsin late in game heading toward the north Endzone? Beautiful night with ESPN in the house. Long walk back to the car at SPAC that night.

Dennis Lundy fumble on the goal line against Ohio State. Because he was getting paid to lose by the mob. We should have beaten them for the 1st time since 1971. Effing Ohio State. Would have made 1995 a little less shocking I suppose, but it would have perhaps dampened the BS about Buck dodging for our titles in 95 and 96 and in any case throwing what otherwise would have been a historic win against the Bucks, and a blow for good against evil, is definitely one we'd like to have back, especially given the dirty nature of it all.

Not fair to post this thread! Kyric is one of our best players. All jocks make mistakes. We are soon to be Big Ten West champs! And likely Big Ten Champs too! Party time!

That one was huge...inside the Badger 10 yard line, if I recall. Wisconsin drove down the field late and nailed a long walk off FG to win.

The debut of renovated Dyche on national TV. That game was one of several the ‘Cats nearly had in 1997. Bates’ injury in the opener was felt throughout the season.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The sad answer is yes. 25 years from now we will all remember this game and that fumble. The pain will subside, but the memory will live on forever.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Chores
That one was huge...inside the Badger 10 yard line, if I recall. Wisconsin drove down the field late and nailed a long walk off FG to win.

The debut of renovated Dyche on national TV. That game was one of several the ‘Cats nearly had in 1997. Bates’ injury in the opener was felt throughout the season.
I believe we would’ve been bowl eligible if we didn’t fumble that game away in 1997. Perhaps we would’ve won a lower bowl and things would’ve gone differently for Barnett?

I believe we would’ve been bowl eligible if we didn’t fumble that game away in 1997. Perhaps we would’ve won a lower bowl and things would’ve gone differently for Barnett?

Also, they lost a shocker to Rice (triple option) and could have took down #2 Penn State if a few things broke their way too...I think there were a couple of 50-50 calls that went the Nittany Lions way in that one.

The Wake Forest loss early defintely stung, but after what happened in 1996, it was less surprising.

The only stinkers that year were the 2nd half vs Ohio State and the fourth quarter at Michigan.

Last edited:
The sad answer is yes. 25 years from now we will all remember this game and that fumble. The pain will subside, but the memory will live on forever.
I’ve already forgotten about it.

What are we talking about again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT