ADVERTISEMENT

Watkins is OUT

Somebody said it was theater knee. Not sure that is at all confirmed.

Oh no...not theater knee!

kelly.jpg

I can give information on "theater knee" It refers to a positive "movie theater sign" that indicates patellofemoral pain after prolonged sitting
You can take a bow for that one Doc, he typed judiciously checking every letter before hitting reply.

Ugh...sucks for Watkins. Mayo and Campbell out as well. SkyTeam is depleted.

Is there anyone who can shift positions at this point? Even if Mayo and Campbell are out for just a few games, we need guys who can hang with Power 5 conference wideouts. Only other option could be burning Ruiz's shirt.

FWIW, the Trib reported in today's game story that Watkins has indeed torn the ACL in his other knee and is out for the year.
This is further evidence to my theory that some guys, as great as they are as athletes in the broad sense, have physical points of weakness that disqualify them from reaching their potential. It is a shame because they work so hard and appear to have all the components until the hidden weakness can not keep up with all the trading and other component parts. Chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.
The other side of this coin is some guys never seem to get injured.

Is there anyone who can shift positions at this point? Even if Mayo and Campbell are out for just a few games, we need guys who can hang with Power 5 conference wideouts. Only other option could be burning Ruiz's shirt.

Ruiz or Bryce Jackson. I think Jackson is a hybrid CB/S. Probably more a safety, but someone has to suit up and take the field.

Yes, some people seem prone to ACL tears. I work with a woman, a former college soccer player, who has torn 4 ACLs.
I think of that guy back in the Barnett era (I forget his name). He was supposed to be such a beast but had ankle problems that had to be surgically repaired. He left the program to go with Barnett to Colorado (I think) and had to have the other ankle repaired. I think of Persa's achilles. He was the iron man in the weight room, developed himself to an incredible degree but his achilles blows out jumping up and down after a TD. Weakest link.

Ruiz or Bryce Jackson. I think Jackson is a hybrid CB/S. Probably more a safety, but someone has to suit up and take the field.

It does seem like we need to burn at least one shirt. I haven't heard anything about Rod Campbell's injury status, hope it's not a long term thing but get the feeling it may.

I think Pace would be first frosh up. They mentioned him in yesterday's broadcast...actually showed him on the sidelines at one point. I also read that he was one of the true freshman that took the field at some point.

I think of that guy back in the Barnett era (I forget his name). He was supposed to be such a beast but had ankle problems that had to be surgically repaired. He left the program to go with Barnett to Colorado (I think) and had to have the other ankle repaired. I think of Persa's achilles. He was the iron man in the weight room, developed himself to an incredible degree but his achilles blows out jumping up and down after a TD. Weakest link.
I suspect you are thinking of DE Loren Howard from the Walker era. IIRC, he had a genetic tendon issue in both ankles. He was otherwise a physical specimen and a real weight room warrior. He ended up transferring to Arizona State.

Last edited:
I suspect you are thinking of DE Loren Howard from the Walker era. IIRC, he had a genetic tendon issue in both ankles. He was otherwise a physical specimen and a real weight room warrior. He ended up transferring to Arizona State.
That is who I was thinking of. My point is we all ultimately have some genetic limitations. Except Austin Carr, I guess.;)

Yes, some people seem prone to ACL tears. I work with a woman, a former college soccer player, who has torn 4 ACLs.
Teddy's tweet said that it was a non-contact injury. Same thing happened with the other knee last year. Unfortunate.

I think I heard women's anatomy is supposed to make them more susceptible to ACL tears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT