ADVERTISEMENT

West Lot mirage no longer

d'son d

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2007
In the throes of hearing that there will be a fence along the west edge of the west lot so as not to allow foot traffic "disturbing" the neighbors 6 or 7 times a year (it's like people near O'Hare c/o the noise even though it had been there when they moved in) comes news that many have been wishing for, and now, reportedly, will happen. The west lot will be completely re-done (so I'm told", paving of the alley next top the west lot edge, better lighting as well as a "beautification" program (and a fence). This is part of being a better neighbor. That would mean that Central or Isabella would be the only pathways open to the side streets where many walk and park on game day. This was a result of a petition from the Central Street association signed by 375 persons. From my standpoint it means walking via Isabella to the stadium instead of straight across the alley, like we've done for many years. If this is the price to pay for no potholes, better lighting, and beautification, so be it.
has anyone else heard about this project??

I guess the downside is that new trees will block neighbors view of the UberTent :)

This is what I found in Evanston Now:
http://evanstonnow.com/story/govern...-15/74799/revised-ryan-field-parking-plan-okd

Pleased to hear from happy neighbors for a change, Evanston aldermen Monday night voted to introduce revised plans for Northwestern University to revamp its parking lot across Ashland Avenue from Ryan Field.

The neighbors, who had opposed various aspects of the university's original plan, offered praise for revisions agreed to by the school which include:

• Eliminating a pedestrian access to the west side of the lot from Livingston Street.
  • Adding a fence along the alley that separates the parking lot from homes to the west and a row of evergreens to block views of the lot from those homes
  • Reducing the height of light poles illuminating the field, reducing the brightness of LED lights on the poles and equipping the lights with dimmers to further reduce light levels during off hours.
In addition, John D'Angelo, NU's vice president for facilities management, said the university intends to contribute to the cost of paving the four-block stretch of alley at the west side of the lot.

The scope of work required on the alley hasn't been determined yet, D'Angelo said, but that the university hoped to be able to cover the cost of the alley project without requiring the abutting neighbors to pay a special assessment to cover part of the cost.

He said the university has followed that approach recently on some other alleys in the campus area that have a mix of university-owned and privately-owned properties.

Typically the city pays half the cost of alley paving with the rest of the cost split among the abutting property owners.

The project still requires another vote at the next City Council meeting to gain final approval.

Does not sound too inconvenient for the fans. I would not want to have to deal with throngs of people coming down my sidestreets either.

This is an outrage! It just added four blocks to our walk to the Uber tent! We're gonna have to bring a wheelbarrow to carry our beer now!

I suggest the city build a subway to carry fans directly to the west lot from anywhere in a 6 block radius. Get 500 signatures on a petition and maybe we can get it done!

In the throes of hearing that there will be a fence along the west edge of the west lot so as not to allow foot traffic "disturbing" the neighbors 6 or 7 times a year (it's like people near O'Hare c/o the noise even though it had been there when they moved in) comes news that many have been wishing for, and now, reportedly, will happen. The west lot will be completely re-done (so I'm told", paving of the alley next top the west lot edge, better lighting as well as a "beautification" program (and a fence). This is part of being a better neighbor. That would mean that Central or Isabella would be the only pathways open to the side streets where many walk and park on game day. This was a result of a petition from the Central Street association signed by 375 persons. From my standpoint it means walking via Isabella to the stadium instead of straight across the alley, like we've done for many years. If this is the price to pay for no potholes, better lighting, and beautification, so be it.

You would think the families that sell parking spaces in their yards along Eastwood would not like this. People would have to walk all the way to Central to get into the lot?

We usually parked on Eastwood, walked down Livingston or Jenks to sneak through the hedgerow. There was a good path near Livingston that was the preferred route, over the log and through the hedgerow, right by the dumpster. Are you saying there is now going to be a fence there? Say it ain't so.

Go Cats !

You would think the families that sell parking spaces in their yards along Eastwood would not like this. People would have to walk all the way to Central to get into the lot?

We usually parked on Eastwood, walked down Livingston or Jenks to sneak through the hedgerow. There was a good path near Livingston that was the preferred route, over the log and through the hedgerow, right by the dumpster. Are you saying there is now going to be a fence there? Say it ain't so.

Go Cats !
purple11, I too, followed your route, and I'm moderately depressed by these developments. The question I have is whether the paving of the alley will permit me to drive to my tailgate next to the families of players and drop off my beer, food,etc. Anybody have a thought about this? Are helicopters, or even drones, permitted to land in the West Lot?

This is an outrage! It just added four blocks to our walk to the Uber tent! We're gonna have to bring a wheelbarrow to carry our beer now!

I suggest the city build a subway to carry fans directly to the west lot from anywhere in a 6 block radius. Get 500 signatures on a petition and maybe we can get it done!
The cretins that hang out in Uber's tent would walk on their lips through 4 blocks of busted glass for a case of Keystone Light and some Slim Jims. The parking lot fence won't deter them any more than Rubio deterred Trump.

The cretins that hang out in Uber's tent would walk on their lips through 4 blocks of busted glass for a case of Keystone Light and some Slim Jims. The parking lot fence won't deter them any more than Rubio deterred Trump.

Gotta problem with Slim Jims and cheap beer? Keystone Light comes in a specially lined can!

The Waterboy is going to have to do some engineering on that fence for us before next season.

So much for kids bored with being at tailgates tossing the football in the alley. Thanks Evanston Prigs..

Go Cats !
Yeah, that's the route, guided by the large three trunked tree. Have to wait and see the response to this imposition on the masses, to see if there will be a reprieve, a modification, or just no response. BUT, the lot gets paved!!!And striped??? and beautified!!

Some perspective here...

The Waterboy family has owned a residence at the SE corner of Livingston and Eastwood since 1984. Incidentally, that 3-trunk tree is on my property and is one of the largest maples in Evanston. At the time of purchase, I could only afford this residence because the house/property values in this neighborhood were 12-15% lower because of those 5-6 (now 6-7) home games per fall and the crazy stuff that occurs during EVERY home game. Since that time, NOTHING regarding property value appreciation has changed much simply because of all the abusive activity laid on property grounds and structures by the inebriated football fans (both home team & visitors). I have a LOT of war stories (which the UberCat tailgate population have heard ad nauseum) - all of which, unfortunately, are very true; and are highlighted by several nearly unimaginable red-letter examples which, over those 30-plus years, have formed the foundation of my enmity for all things done by HogEye, Wisky Drunkard & BuckNut fans - on top of my personal hatred of those teams borne from by my career as an NU athlete. Those examples and more are why there is a very visible Evanston police presence on game days - to try and prevent such abuses. And yet those abuses that keep property values reduced by double figures continue (like drunken fans who insist on pissing on the walls of garages and coach houses adjacent/near the alley instead of using the port-o-sans in the parking lot. Never could understand that choice. Over the course of the past 5 seasons, the cops have nabbed at least a couple fans per game "in the act". Two seasons ago, I caught and challenged a very inebriated fellow who was relieving himself on the back wall of my garage; and after I alerted the cops, this joker tried to out-run the cops bolting west on Livingston while he still holding his exposed package and eliminating himself in flight in front of scores of people leaving the game. Had to go to the police station and sign a personal complaint on this Mensa Man for trespassing on private property and destruction of property – all of which drew approximately $250 in fines from this idiot.)

The point is: NU announced to the neighborhood residents approximately 2 months ago what they planned to do and that NU had little to no interest in the opinions of those same residents either pro or con regarding their plans. That forced the neighborhood residents to band together into an association to air their grievances and offer alternatives to several less-than-friendly aspects of NU's rigid plans. One of the more crazy planned items was the afore-mentioned paving the alley just west of the west parking lot at the adjacent owners expense. I'm sorry, but if NU’s plans include changes to city of Evanston property, like paving an alley that NU doesn’t use - ever, then NU must foot the entire nut, period. My property doesn’t even use the alley, so an assessment to me is totally uncalled-for. Paving the alley is NOT an improvement to adjacent property - but is a modification to a city owned street/thoroughfare dictated by some NU planning committee who wanted to railroad the city and the residents into reducing their project costs. This item is a major sticking point and still under heavy debate. One item that the grievance meeting did resolve was to eliminate the access to the parking lot from Livingston via a portal through the proposed 6-ft high fence – and in doing so will eliminate 98% of those jack-holes who insist on relieving themselves against some alley-adjacent structure’s wall. Personally, I wanted the portal, but virtually every other resident decided that removing the portal was the best means to eliminate the heavy foot traffic which would be funneled to that portal point (and the associated property abuse by drunken fans). I capitulated on that one.

Last edited:
They don't make drones big enough for our coolers!
fig2-lg.jpg

To the rescue!

Some perspective here...

The Waterboy family has owned a residence at the SE corner of Livingston and Eastwood since 1984. Incidentally, that 3-trunk tree is on my property and is one of the largest maples in Evanston. At the time of purchase, I could only afford this residence because the house/property values in this neighborhood were 12-15% lower because of those 5-6 (now 6-7) home games per fall and the crazy stuff that occurs during EVERY home game. Since that time, NOTHING regarding property value appreciation has changed much simply because of all the abusive activity laid on property grounds and structures by the inebriated football fans (both home team & visitors). I have a LOT of war stories (which the UberCat tailgate population have heard ad nauseum) - all of which, unfortunately, are very true; and are highlighted by several nearly unimaginable red-letter examples which, over those 30-plus years, have formed the foundation of my enmity for all things done by HogEye, Wisky Drunkard & BuckNut fans - on top of my personal hatred of those teams borne from by my career as an NU athlete. Those examples and more are why there is a very visible Evanston police presence on game days - to try and prevent such abuses. And yet those abuses that keep property values reduced by double figures continue (like drunken fans who insist on pissing on the walls of garages and coach houses adjacent/near the alley instead of using the port-o-sans in the parking lot. Never could understand that choice. Over the course of the past 5 seasons, the cops have nabbed at least a couple fans per game "in the act". Two seasons ago, I caught and challenged a very inebriated fellow who was relieving himself on the back wall of my garage; and after I alerted the cops, this joker tried to out-run the cops bolting west on Livingston while he still holding his exposed package and eliminating himself in flight in front of scores of people leaving the game. Had to go to the police station and sign a personal complaint on this Mensa Man for trespassing on private property and destruction of property – all of which drew approximately $250 in fines from this idiot.)

The point is: NU announced to the neighborhood residents approximately 2 months ago what they planned to do and that NU had little to no interest in the opinions of those same residents either pro or con regarding their plans. That forced the neighborhood residents to band together into an association to air their grievances and offer alternatives to several less-than-friendly aspects of NU's rigid plans. One of the more crazy planned items was the afore-mentioned paving the alley just west of the west parking lot at the adjacent owners expense. I'm sorry, but if NU’s plans include changes to city of Evanston property, like paving an alley that NU doesn’t use - ever, then NU must foot the entire nut, period. My property doesn’t even use the alley, so an assessment to me is totally uncalled-for. Paving the alley is NOT an improvement to adjacent property - but is a modification to a city owned street/thoroughfare dictated by some NU planning committee who wanted to railroad the city and the residents into reducing their project costs. This item is a major sticking point and still under heavy debate. One item that the grievance meeting did resolve was to eliminate the access to the parking lot from Livingston via a portal through the proposed 6-ft high fence – and in doing so will eliminate 98% of those jack-holes who insist on relieving themselves against some alley-adjacent structure’s wall. Personally, I wanted the portal, but virtually every other resident decided that removing the portal was the best means to eliminate the heavy foot traffic which would be funneled to that portal point (and the associated property abuse by drunken fans). I capitulated on that one.
Just one question H2o-boy, were you or were you not one of the 350 signers of said petition?

I would suggest that Ohare Noise is a problem. Runways were oriented NW and when they did the Ohare modernization, they put all new runways in EW and are working to close down the old runways. That means areas not in the former flight paths are now right under them. Suddenly areas never really exposed to the noise before are subject to planes every 30 seconds

Some perspective here...

Waterboy,

I admire your restraint. If I were in your shoes, I long ago would have become the Michael Douglas character in Falling Down, and meted out some angry white suburban justice on the Hogeye fans.

Or maybe even Snake Plissken, who doesn't give a f*** about the war...or the Presdient...or visiting fans.

I would suggest that Ohare Noise is a problem. Runways were oriented NW and when they did the Ohare modernization, they put all new runways in EW and are working to close down the old runways. That means areas not in the former flight paths are now right under them. Suddenly areas never really exposed to the noise before are subject to planes every 30 seconds
Yes, but just think how happy those NW runway folks will be. I grew up below a Midway Airport flight path and couldn't talk on the phone or watch TV as the planes flew over the house. To all O'Hare, Midway, Wrigleyville and Evanston residents... get over it, it was there before you.

Waterboy,

I admire your restraint. If I were in your shoes, I long ago would have become the Michael Douglas character in Falling Down, and meted out some angry white suburban justice on the Hogeye fans.

Or maybe even Snake Plissken, who doesn't give a f*** about the war...or the Presdient...or visiting fans.

Hungry -
Actually, early on, I had several meltdowns regarding fan abuse of my property. One was during an NU-HogEye game back in the late 80's, when I went back to the homestead at halftime for a bathroom break and to quaff a quick beer when I saw a 911 Carerra w/ Io_a plates parked in the middle of my backyard lawn, along with a Honda 75cc dirt bike parked in my driveway - w/ no note from either on my back door... or anything else for that matter to acknowledge that the owners decided to use my property as their personal parking lot. Since I left for the beginning of the game just after the initial kick-off, it was more than obvious that both jack-holes had arrived and parked there sometime in mid-Q1 after I left the premises and decided to impose themselves on me and my family regardless of consequence. I got so incensed that I lifted the freakin' dirt bike and planted it on the roof of the Carrera with little regard to any damage being done (was still pretty strong back then) and then let all the air out from 3 of 4 of the Porsche's tires to ensure that the owner couldn't make a quick get-away after the game. Then I called the cops & North Shore Towing who had a standing city of Evanston contract to tow illegally parked cars throughout the neighborhood on game days. The cops arrived and saw the heavily scratched & dented Carrera roof with the dirt bike planted on it... took one look at me then gave me a knowing wink & nod of admiration for my ingenuity at payback. Then North Shore Towing arrived and hauled the Carrera & dirt bike to their site off Howard Street. After the game the very distraught Carrera owner (a obviously wealthy 20-something entitled a-hole) knocked on my back door desperately asking what happened to his Yuppie mobile - stating that he thought it had been stolen off my property. I told him that I didn't have a clue where his vehicle was... then asked why he didn't leave a note or anything else to acknowledge that he was using my lawn as his private parking spot. When he got p.o.'d at that reply and realized just what had happened, I grabbed him by his collar, gruffly dragged the bum from my porch to the curb and deposited him into the street. This Mensa Man realized I meant business (kinda like what happens to many uninformed folks when meeting FootballPhil for the first time) and left, never to be seen again. The next home game, I noticed a couple of Evanston coppers parked on Livingston at my residence and went to thank them for their service. The officers told me that they had heard about the condition of the tow-aways when their buddy coppers arrive on the scene after the previous game. Both agreed that a definite poignant point was made to the owners of both vehicles when they showed-up at the station house to report their vehicles stolen - in the form of trespassing and illegal parking citations and fines given them, as well as $175 in towing fees from NST. All three of us had a hearty laugh on that one.

Last edited:
Hungry -
Actually, early on, I had several meltdowns regarding fan abuse of my property. One was during an NU-HogEye game back in the late 80's, when I went back to the homestead at halftime for a bathroom break and to quaff a quick beer when I saw a 911 Carerra w/ Io_a plates parked in the middle of my backyard lawn, along with a Honda 75cc dirt bike parked in my driveway - w/ no note from either on my back door... or anything else for that matter to acknowledge that the owners decided to use my property as their personal parking lot. Since I left for the beginning of the game just after the initial kick-off, it was more than obvious that both jack-holes had arrived and parked there sometime in mid-Q1 after I left the premises and decided to impose themselves on me and my family regardless of consequence. I got so incensed that I lifted the freakin' dirt bike and planted it on the roof of the Carrera with little regard to any damage being done (was still pretty strong back then) and then let all the air out from 3 of 4 of the Porche's tires to ensure that the owner couldn't make a quick get-away after the game. Then I called the cops & North Shore Towing who had a standing city of Evanston contract to tow illegally parked cars throughout the neighborhood on game days. The cops arrived and saw the heavily scratched & dented Carrera roof with the dirt bike planted on it... took one look at me then gave me a knowing wink & nod of admiration for my ingenuity at payback. Then North Shore Towing arrived and hauled the Carrera & dirt bike to their site off Howard Street. After the game the very distraught Carrera owner (a obviously wealthy 20-something entitled a-hole) knocked on my back door desperately asking what happened to his Yuppie mobile - stating that he thought it had been stolen off my property. I told him that I didn't have a clue where his vehicle was... then asked why he didn't leave a note or anything else to acknowledge that he was using my lawn as his private parking spot. When he got p.o.'d at that reply and realized just what had happened, I grabbed him by his collar, gruffly dragged the bum from my porch to the curb and deposited him into the street. This Mensa Man realized I meant business (kinda like what happens to many uninformed folks when meeting FootballPhil for the first time) and left, never to be seen again. The next home game, I noticed a couple of Evanston coppers parked on Livingston at my residence and went to thank them for their service. The officers told me that they had heard about the condition of the tow-aways when their buddy coppers arrive on the scene after the previous game. Both agreed that a definite poignant point was made to the owners of both vehicles when they showed-up at the station house to report their vehicles stolen - in the form of trespassing and illegal parking citations and fines given them, as well as $175 in towing fees from NST. All three of us had a hearty laugh on that one.
Wow. I am not sure which element of the story is more jaw-dropping: the brazen entitled arrogant ignorance of the Porsche owner, or your malevolent but well-applied in genius in maximizing the pain this half-wit had to endure in order to reclaim the object manifestation of his incomprehensible stupidity.

I fully condone your behavior.

Wow. I am not sure which element of the story is more jaw-dropping: the brazen entitled arrogant ignorance of the Porsche owner, or your malevolent but well-applied in genius in maximizing the pain this half-wit had to endure in order to reclaim the object manifestation of his incomprehensible stupidity.

I fully condone your behavior.
Hungry -
It boggles the rational mind when one recognizes the utter stupidity of even educated people these days - especially 20-something types. Two seasons ago (same season when I rudely interupted and frightened that 20-something jack-hole relieving himself on the back wall of my garage) a 20-something college daughter of one of the football player parents parked in my drive during the NU-Mich game. My ex (who resides at the residence) saw the young idiot park her vehicle then walk to the NU football family tailgate - and never came to the door to ask permission or leave even a note. The WaterGirl and my ex's bro (a Mich biz school grad) arrived soon afterwards and had nowhere to park; so, they parked behind the illegal parked car trapping her in the drive. When I arrived, the ex was inconsolably livid and in the process of dialing North Shore Towing since the standard coppers usually parked on Livingston were off dealing with some other jack-wagon's malfeasance. I asked her to hold off on the call and said I'll ask for a "parking fee" from the car owner or her parents at the tailgate. The ex stated that she'd take nothing less than $100, since it had been about an hour with no contact from the driver and wanted to drive-home a point of her anger and frustration with the situation. I went to the tailgate and asked for anyone to identify the owner of the car and was directed to a tipsy, if not clearly impaired college-age woman. Rather than deal with the young lady's alcohol-addled mental state, I asked to speak with her and her parents, together, which I did. In a calm and cool voice. I related that the ex demanded the $100 "parking fee" for the insult and imposition. On hearing this, the boozed-up 20-something stated categorically that she would never pay such a "parking fee" since it was equivalent to extortion. I calmly explained that she could either pay the asked-for "parking fee" or have the pleasure of paying the $175 towing fee and then the $250 in fines for illegal trespass and parking on private property, further explaining to her and her parents that this situation had been precipitated originally from the young woman's stupidity and ignorance in what she had done in the first place; and added that, either way, it was going to be a cash-resolved learning experience for all parties involved. The booze-stupid girl still protested and her parents finally intervened in the matter. I stated that if they wanted to negotiate the "parking fee" with the ex, they were invited to do so in person. In spite of the ex status, I was proud that my ex, a primary school educator, had her "moment of educational clarity" with the idiot 20-something jerk-wad girl.

Last edited:

Brilliant as per usual! Next time I make to FLA I must look you up!

Though it sucks that you've had to deal with all these a-holes, I wish these stories would never end, especially the revenge parts. Please give us more!

Some perspective here...

So, this is a financial success for the surrounding homeowners! As you said, you could only afford the place because property values were lower. I am sure that is true for all those along this path. Assuming this cuts the traffic and reduces activity, you receive an extra profit. Hell, I would sign a petition that increases the net worth of my assets. I'm sure most of the residence there are giddy about it. Now of course the new assessments will also increase property taxes, so the city gets it share. And in the end, everyone (the University, fans, and residents) has to pay a higher price. Bravo!

LOL, well that's the price we all pay for special interest groups. So, when we all get that next ticket and parking price increase, it should not be the University or athletic department we should blame. Then there is the unintended consequence of these activities going to other parts of the neighborhood. Every project has bribes to pay. That is just the way of the world.

Last edited:
That motto should be on our flag! Do you have a flag? Do you still have a tent, Uber?

Yes. Yes.

My N flags are usually deployed as tailgate table coverings. The one thing that flies in the wind is the Waterboy windsock.
The tent is a new white one replacing the old purple paint on top of maroon tent. It was a casualty of the ESPN Game Day megastorm. (Remember that?)
You should get to a home game and check it out.

Some perspective here...

There is another 3 trunked tree which is NOT at the corner but overlooks the alleyway and is north of the entrance to the lot midway to Isabella. I have to look at the other one because this one is on the property where I park. Whatever the case it is the best way to find my way to the car post game

So, this is a financial success for the surrounding homeowners! As you said, you could only afford the place because property values were lower. I am sure that is true for all those along this path. Assuming this cuts the traffic and reduces activity, you receive an extra profit. Hell, I would sign a petition that increases the net worth of my assets. I'm sure most of the residence there are giddy about it. Now of course the new assessments will also increase property taxes, so the city gets it share. And in the end, everyone (the University, fans, and residents) has to pay a higher price. Bravo!

LOL, well that's the price we all pay for special interest groups. So, when we all get that next ticket and parking price increase, it should not be the University or athletic department we should blame. Then there is the unintended consequence of these activities going to other parts of the neighborhood. Every project has bribes to pay. That is just the way of the world.
Just Gary -

Understand this one thing... NU laid-out this plan without any prior consultation with residents and their original intent was to shove it down our throats. In fact, if there wasn't the threat of litigation, NU would have gone through with their original plans - with their nutso items still intact. The point is... Does a paved alley increase property values... Really? I think not by much, if at all. And NU wanted the affected residents to pay approximately 33% of the total costs for it - without their collaboration. Sorry, but not on my watch. The only item of note that will help with property value appreciation is the elimination of frequent property abuse (like having to wash the piss hoops off the walls of my garage) that occurs all the time during football season. With the fence and eliminating the fence portal at the end of Livingston, hopefully I won't have to put-up with the negative consequences. Your post calls this a financial success... I beg to differ and call it what it truly is: a reduction in NU's financial obligations to put on those football games - like not having to pay for a high volume Evanston police presence on most neighborhood streets to ensure that the drunken lout fans don't run roughshod on the surrounding neighborhood. After having endured this crud for over 30 years, I can say "about time." But then again, I'm not gonna be able to easily get to and from the UberCat tailgate venue without effort. Small price to pay, IMHO.

Hungry -
It boggles the rational mind when one recognizes the utter stupidity of even educated people these days - especially 20-something types. Two seasons ago (same season when I rudely interupted and frightened that 20-something jack-hole relieving himself on the back wall of my garage) a 20-something college daughter of one of the football player parents parked in my drive during the NU-Mich game. My ex (who resides at the residence) saw the young idiot park her vehicle then walk to the NU football family tailgate - and never came to the door to ask permission or leave even a note. The WaterGirl and my ex's bro (a Mich biz school grad) arrived soon afterwards and had nowhere to park; so, they parked behind the illegal parked car trapping her in the drive. When I arrived, the ex was inconsolably livid and in the process of dialing North Shore Towing since the standard coppers usually parked on Livingston were off dealing with some other jack-wagon's malfeasance. I asked her to hold off on the call and said I'll ask for a "parking fee" from the car owner or her parents at the tailgate. The ex stated that she'd take nothing less than $100, since it had been about an hour with no contact from the driver and wanted to drive-home a point of her anger and frustration with the situation. I went to the tailgate and asked for anyone to identify the owner of the car and was directed to a tipsy, if not clearly impaired college-age woman. Rather than deal with the young lady's alcohol-addled mental state, I asked to speak with her and her parents, together, which I did. In a calm and cool voice. I related that the ex demanded the $100 "parking fee" for the insult and imposition. On hearing this, the boozed-up 20-something stated categorically that she would never pay such a "parking fee" since it was equivalent to extortion. I calmly explained that she could either pay the asked-for "parking fee" or have the pleasure of paying the $175 towing fee and then the $250 in fines for illegal trespass and parking on private property, further explaining to her and her parents that this situation had been precipitated originally from the young woman's stupidity and ignorance in what she had done in the first place; and added that, either way, it was going to be a cash-resolved learning experience for all parties involved. The booze-stupid girl still protested and her parents finally intervened in the matter. I stated that if they wanted to negotiate the "parking fee" with the ex, they were invited to do so in person. In spite of the ex status, I was proud that my ex, a primary school educator, had her "moment of educational clarity" with the idiot 20-something jerk-wad girl.
I am trying to wrap my brain around the cognitive routine that would lead someone to park a Porsche auto ion some randomly selected yard that is clearly private property inhabited by residents of no relation, and then leave the vehicle unattended for 3 hours, with the expectation of finding it unmolested upon returning.

I cannot.

Years ago a friend who had a residence and frontage on beautiful Torch Lake in Michigan related a similar story about an unwelcome boater. Said boater, driving a pontoon style house boat, decided he would make avail of my friend's frontage and tie off to two large trees on the shore. When my friend called to tend boat from shore, he was greeted with sign language, derisive epithets, and then some bottle rockets.

As night fell and it became apparent that the uninvited guest would remain anchored, my friend's two mischievous teenage sons located a manual drill set, some gasoline, and bottle rockets of their own. First, they swam quietly to the boat under darkness and drilled several holes in each pontoon below waterline. They returned and went inside to take hot showers after spending considerable time in the cold water.

By now the pontoons were taking on some water, which spurred phase two. About 20 feet of each rope was given a good dose of gasoline, then ignited. The flames cast an erie glow over the water. A few bottle rockets launched from the shore finally woke up the owner. The burning rope and aerial explosives caused considerable alarm, and within moments the owner cut his lines, pulled anchor, and motored off, pontoons saturated and swear words ejaculating from his mouth.

It's not clear if the boat survived the sabotage.

Like I said... this jack-hole's entire persona was as arrogant and elitist as it was wealthy and entitled. Simply stated, I was kinda blown away by his "me-first" 'tude when he came knocking at my back door expecting me to be welcoming and accommodating; then I got VERY irrate when he copped a "eff-you" laced diatribe. I wasn't gonna put up with his bull; so I manhandled him with bad intent and he got the message in short order, leaving the scene in one big hurry after being tossed literally into the curb on his face. Proves that Darwin's survival of the fittest theory still has some way to go with some people residing in the 20th Century American Midwest. Needless to say, to top things off, he not only got absolutely no sympathy when he went to the Evanston station to report his vehicle stolen; he got another jolt to his ego when forced to come-up with $425 cash to get his yuppie mobile out from the city pound - with 3 flat tires and no immediate way to pump them back up to boot. The Evanston coppers had a good laugh at that jack-hole's expense.

Just Gary -

Understand this one thing... NU laid-out this plan without any prior consultation with residents and their original intent was to shove it down our throats. In fact, if there wasn't the threat of litigation, NU would have gone through with their original plans - with their nutso items still intact. The point is... Does a paved alley increase property values... Really? I think not by much, if at all. And NU wanted the affected residents to pay approximately 33% of the total costs for it - without their collaboration. Sorry, but not on my watch. The only item of note that will help with property value appreciation is the elimination of frequent property abuse (like having to wash the piss hoops off the walls of my garage) that occurs all the time during football season. With the fence and eliminating the fence portal at the end of Livingston, hopefully I won't have to put-up with the negative consequences. Your post calls this a financial success... I beg to differ and call it what it truly is: a reduction in NU's financial obligations to put on those football games - like not having to pay for a high volume Evanston police presence on most neighborhood streets to ensure that the drunken lout fans don't run roughshod on the surrounding neighborhood. After having endured this crud for over 30 years, I can say "about time." But then again, I'm not gonna be able to easily get to and from the UberCat tailgate venue without effort. Small price to pay, IMHO.
I seriously doubt the new fence would have any impact on property values. Nothing will change the fact that the homes are next to a major venue that draws very large crowds--paved alley or not.

Local residents deserve relief from hordes of sometimes inconsiderate people beating a path through their blocks and private property, occasionally turning select spots into private self-parks or toilets. The benefit of eliminating his behavior is immediate and plainly visible. That's what matters.

I seriously doubt the new fence would have any impact on property values. Nothing will change the fact that the homes are next to a major venue that draws very large crowds--paved alley or not.

Local residents deserve relief from hordes of sometimes inconsiderate people beating a path through their blocks and private property, occasionally turning select spots into private self-parks or toilets. The benefit of eliminating his behavior is immediate and plainly visible. That's what matters.
Does anyone know what type of fencing will be used? If it's less then 6 ft, might see lots of fence jumpers and resulting injuries.

Does anyone know what type of fencing will be used? If it's less then 6 ft, might see lots of fence jumpers and resulting injuries.

It is coming from a start-up company called Trump Fence International. The design will be used on the US-Mexico border.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT