ADVERTISEMENT

West Lot mirage no longer

The 'fence' will put a crimp on the parents activity. Last season they rented space in a garage off the alley and would carry their stuff across. They also camp out in the alley and waiting for the lot open, and when it does, they start grabbing spaces before their cars get there. Maybe this will finally get them to play by the rules the rest of have to (a good thing).

The one down side is that it will restrict Evanston First Liquours from making game day deliveries thru the alley (a bad thing)

Does anyone know what type of fencing will be used? If it's less then 6 ft, might see lots of fence jumpers and resulting injuries.
My sources tell me that it will be a 10ft electric fence topped with barbed wire. There will be two sentry towers set at equal intervals. One will be manned by Glades with a potato cannon, 20 cans of ether, and 25 lbs of russets. Also a beer bong fed by a 5 gallon jug.

The other tower will be manned by Waterboy with a crossbow and a buggy whip.

The 'fence' will put a crimp on the parents activity. Last season they rented space in a garage off the alley and would carry their stuff across. They also camp out in the alley and waiting for the lot open, and when it does, they start grabbing spaces before their cars get there. Maybe this will finally get them to play by the rules the rest of have to (a good thing).

The one down side is that it will restrict Evanston First Liquours from making game day deliveries thru the alley (a bad thing)

What is wrong with what the parents are doing? seems they are very smart to play by the rules and still utilize the alley to bring their tents etc. Anyone can do the same and they do. I imagine other schools actually give the parents a designated spot for the parent tailgate, which is not the case at NU. The parents and families tailgate seems to be a cool thing that should continue.

Go Cats !

Hungry -
Actually, early on, I had several meltdowns regarding fan abuse of my property. One was during an NU-HogEye game back in the late 80's, when I went back to the homestead at halftime for a bathroom break and to quaff a quick beer when I saw a 911 Carerra w/ Io_a plates parked in the middle of my backyard lawn, along with a Honda 75cc dirt bike parked in my driveway - w/ no note from either on my back door... or anything else for that matter to acknowledge that the owners decided to use my property as their personal parking lot. Since I left for the beginning of the game just after the initial kick-off, it was more than obvious that both jack-holes had arrived and parked there sometime in mid-Q1 after I left the premises and decided to impose themselves on me and my family regardless of consequence. I got so incensed that I lifted the freakin' dirt bike and planted it on the roof of the Carrera with little regard to any damage being done (was still pretty strong back then) and then let all the air out from 3 of 4 of the Porsche's tires to ensure that the owner couldn't make a quick get-away after the game. Then I called the cops & North Shore Towing who had a standing city of Evanston contract to tow illegally parked cars throughout the neighborhood on game days. The cops arrived and saw the heavily scratched & dented Carrera roof with the dirt bike planted on it... took one look at me then gave me a knowing wink & nod of admiration for my ingenuity at payback. Then North Shore Towing arrived and hauled the Carrera & dirt bike to their site off Howard Street. After the game the very distraught Carrera owner (a obviously wealthy 20-something entitled a-hole) knocked on my back door desperately asking what happened to his Yuppie mobile - stating that he thought it had been stolen off my property. I told him that I didn't have a clue where his vehicle was... then asked why he didn't leave a note or anything else to acknowledge that he was using my lawn as his private parking spot. When he got p.o.'d at that reply and realized just what had happened, I grabbed him by his collar, gruffly dragged the bum from my porch to the curb and deposited him into the street. This Mensa Man realized I meant business (kinda like what happens to many uninformed folks when meeting FootballPhil for the first time) and left, never to be seen again. The next home game, I noticed a couple of Evanston coppers parked on Livingston at my residence and went to thank them for their service. The officers told me that they had heard about the condition of the tow-aways when their buddy coppers arrive on the scene after the previous game. Both agreed that a definite poignant point was made to the owners of both vehicles when they showed-up at the station house to report their vehicles stolen - in the form of trespassing and illegal parking citations and fines given them, as well as $175 in towing fees from NST. All three of us had a hearty laugh on that one.
Get off my lawn!!

But seriously, why do people think its cool to abuse your property because you live near a stadium? Also, I am frankly shocked that our rustic and nearly bucolic setting, with its typical compliment of 35k fans, would experience such behavior. It just seems so damn calm most of the time.

Get off my lawn!!

But seriously, why do people think its cool to abuse your property because you live near a stadium? Also, I am frankly shocked that our rustic and nearly bucolic setting, with its typical compliment of 35k fans, would experience such behavior. It just seems so damn calm most of the time.

It is relatively calm. Imagine what homeowners near Camp Randall go through.

Just Gary -

Understand this one thing... NU laid-out this plan without any prior consultation with residents and their original intent was to shove it down our throats. In fact, if there wasn't the threat of litigation, NU would have gone through with their original plans - with their nutso items still intact. The point is... Does a paved alley increase property values... Really? I think not by much, if at all. And NU wanted the affected residents to pay approximately 33% of the total costs for it - without their collaboration. Sorry, but not on my watch. The only item of note that will help with property value appreciation is the elimination of frequent property abuse (like having to wash the piss hoops off the walls of my garage) that occurs all the time during football season. With the fence and eliminating the fence portal at the end of Livingston, hopefully I won't have to put-up with the negative consequences. Your post calls this a financial success... I beg to differ and call it what it truly is: a reduction in NU's financial obligations to put on those football games - like not having to pay for a high volume Evanston police presence on most neighborhood streets to ensure that the drunken lout fans don't run roughshod on the surrounding neighborhood. After having endured this crud for over 30 years, I can say "about time." But then again, I'm not gonna be able to easily get to and from the UberCat tailgate venue without effort. Small price to pay, IMHO.

Truthfully, I'm glad NU responded to the neighborhood and I have no love for drunken fans causing property damage. People will get used to the new routes and any improvements to the lots is a step in the right direction.

Truthfully, I'm glad NU responded to the neighborhood and I have no love for drunken fans causing property damage. People will get used to the new routes and any improvements to the lots is a step in the right direction.

Not sure step in the right direction is true. My question is... didn't the people who bought homes near the stadium notice that there was a STADIUM nearby!!! I mean what did they think was going to happen on gameday? People, fans etc. in their neighborhood.

These are the same homeowners who sell $$spots in their yards for easy access to the lot and stadium. Why would you want to pay to park in that area now if you have to walk to Central or Isabella with all your stuff to meet up with a tailgate in the West Lot. Or even to run back to your car to get something you forgot before the game. Not sure what the fence cures? There is still going to be foot traffic down Eastwood and the alley.

Of course, people should not urinate in someones yard ( that seems to be the major concern from what I am reading ). Public urination is wrong, but is this fence going to cure the rampant 'pee party' that seems to be such a major issue?

Go Cats !

Reactions: willycat
What is wrong with what the parents are doing? seems they are very smart to play by the rules and still utilize the alley to bring their tents etc. Anyone can do the same and they do. I imagine other schools actually give the parents a designated spot for the parent tailgate, which is not the case at NU. The parents and families tailgate seems to be a cool thing that should continue.

Go Cats !
Seems that NU better get with the program and set aside a permanent area for the parents tailgate. The tailgating scene at NU is pretty lame and eliminating the parents tailgating tents would be the wrong move.

Reactions: Gladeskat
The Waterboy and his neighbors should build and provide outhouses on their properties for fans. Stop being part of the problem and start becoming part of the solution.

The Waterboy and his neighbors should build and provide outhouses on their properties for fans. Stop being part of the problem and start becoming part of the solution.

Not a bad idea!! But all kidding and sarcasm aside, I do not see the big advantage to this fence for the residents. There is still going to be fan parking in that neighborhood, with people dragging their coolers etc all the way around the fenced area.

Go Cats !!

Not a bad idea!! But all kidding and sarcasm aside, I do not see the big advantage to this fence for the residents. There is still going to be fan parking in that neighborhood, with people dragging their coolers etc all the way around the fenced area.

Go Cats !!

Yes. Neighbors to the north and south of Livingston are going to complain about the huge numbers of fans walking by (through?) their properties. Public urination will only move to properties further north and south. If you don't want whizz on your garage, build an outhouse or mini-urinals. Wheelbarrows will leave ruts on the new alley pavement. In two years, residents along Isabella and Central streets will be livid.

Yes. Neighbors to the north and south of Livingston are going to complain about the huge numbers of fans walking by (through?) their properties. Public urination will only move to properties further north and south. If you don't want whizz on your garage, build an outhouse or mini-urinals. Wheelbarrows will leave ruts on the new alley pavement. In two years, residents along Isabella and Central streets will be livid.

I disagree that the public whizz party moves further north and south. The alley is still a viable route for fans, urinators and non urinators who park in that neighborhood. The alley seems to be very conducive to potential urination. A fence is not changing the lure of the alley and the tree line. I guess, I am trying to say again, what does the fence do for the residents?

Go Cats !!

Reactions: Gladeskat
I disagree that the public whizz party moves further north and south. The alley is still a viable route for fans, urinators and non urinators who park in that neighborhood. The alley seems to be very conducive to potential urination. A fence is not changing the lure of the alley and the tree line. I guess, I am trying to say again, what does the fence do for the residents?

Go Cats !!

You're right. They may need a gutter for the alley.

I wonder if a better solution might be to place land mines and similar ordinance in the private yards bordering the alley. A few explosions with body parts strewn around the alley will a almost certainly discourage any further transgressions. Of course, crows and scavenging hyenas could be a problem.

I wonder if a better solution might be to place land mines and similar ordinance in the private yards bordering the alley. A few explosions with body parts strewn around the alley will a almost certainly discourage any further transgressions. Of course, crows and scavenging hyenas could be a problem.

Pungi sticks are a good option. Snakes also would work.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT