ADVERTISEMENT

West Parking Lot Remodel...

The_Waterboy

May 29, 2001
NU broke ground approx 10 days ago and the "scheduled remodelling" of the West Lot has progressed substantially. That long awaited (and often objected-to) 7-ft high cyclone fence has been erected, around the entire perimeter of the entire West Lot - from Central to Isabella and Ashland to the west alley. The powers that be for NU and the City of Evanston cut down any and all trees & brush (much of it an eye-sore to be frank) from the 4-foot "parkway strip" east between the alley and the parking lot tarmac - from Livingston St (the homestead) south to Mustards. The same will happen for the strip north of Livingston to Isabella this week. Piles of excess dirt (NU had atttempted to raise a 3-ft dirt berm or mound on the strip with bushes of its own planted to stop erosion several times in the past - and all failed miserably) and the cut-down foliage are piled high on the tarmac basically on/around the "Family Tailgate" area (in prep for haul-away, I suppose). I've owned the property at the corner of Livingston and Eastwood since 1984 and always had a view of "The Collesium" interrupted by this tree line - some trees having grown some 40 ft tall or more - and it's all no more. And it looks so different... and strange. The city also cut all the trees and brush from the west side of the alley as well... so now there is an unobstructed view of the alley and the newly erected cyclone fence - an equally strange and eerie sight since the view was always masked by many over-grown and under-maintained flowering elderberry bushes and its own huge tree line as well for those 49 years. Now it's all open and to be sure, it's not a "pretty sight." In fact, my initial description/reaction of the uninterrupted line-of-sight rom by back yard to the fence could be summed-up in a single word - antisceptic. That original tree-line gave my backyard enclosed look that was rather "homey". Now that's all a memory - along with unwelcome recollections of those inebriated louts (mostly visiting fans) using my garage as their own personal pee-wall.

The ongoing plans call for NU to extend the parkway strip another 5-6 ft into the parking lot side (making the strip approx 8-10 ft wide) and to plant shrubs and smaller final-growth trees on this new parkway strip after the strip gets its finishing touches via a concrete sidewalk and a flanking curb to hold it all in. That newly planted vegitation will diminish the eyesore sight of the fence somewhat from the NU side of things looking west, but nothing is to be done regarding any re-planting for the cut-down foliage on the properties adjacent to the west edge of the alley - so the eerie antisceptic visage will remain for the foreseeable future.

So life goes on; and the only constant in life is change. And this one is quite something odd to behold. The inconvenience of walking around the fence has yet to be experienced... but it's gonna happen and that item too will take some "getting used-to."

In the meantime, decades-long perennial parking pass holders, many of whom have become dear friends over the years, have been shuffled and re-shuffled by the NU athletic office power brokers - many of which, now, have lost the priveledge of spending $25 buck-oes for the convienience of using the lot on game day. And like a kidney stone, the sting of this inconvenience will pass as well. All in the name of progress

If / when the purportedly mandated lights are permanently placed on Ryan Field, the Eastwood residents will freak out. Their new found unobstructed view of it will turn their street name to EastLight.

"My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades." The only difference... never expected to "have to" wear shades after dusk.

I'm having trouble picturing it - does this mean that the tailgate spots along the trees will no longer be "extra long" by pulling forward closer to the trees, as a result of the fence?

Those fans parking along the west-edge of the lot will have the sidewalk/parkway for their immediate use. Don't know if NU power brokers will demand that the sidewalk be free of "tailgate stuff" to allow free movement of fans walking north and south via the sidewalk. All TBD.

Last edited:
Waterboy - Give me a call or an Email re: availability of my season tickets.

Good possibility that this will be the last year I will be a STH.

Ya know FEW, right after they forced Shon Morris out, the NU athletic department did a total U turn - and it wasn't for the better. They have proven on countless times that they don't care about me as a donor, or season ticket holder and I have given them tens of thousands of dollars as I believe you also have.

I guess they'll reap what they sow.

Reactions: FEW
NU broke ground approx 10 days ago and the "scheduled remodelling" of the West Lot has progressed substantially. That long awaited (and often objected-to) 7-ft high cyclone fence has been erected, around the entire perimeter of the entire West Lot - from Central to Isabella and Ashland to the west alley. The powers that be for NU and the City of Evanston cut down any and all trees & brush (much of it an eye-sore to be frank) from the 4-foot "parkway strip" east between the alley and the parking lot tarmac - from Livingston St (the homestead) south to Mustards. The same will happen for the strip north of Livingston to Isabella this week. Piles of excess dirt (NU had atttempted to raise a 3-ft dirt berm or mound on the strip with bushes of its own planted to stop erosion several times in the past - and all failed miserably) and the cut-down foliage are piled high on the tarmac basically on/around the "Family Tailgate" area (in prep for haul-away, I suppose). I've owned the property at the corner of Livingston and Eastwood since 1984 and always had a view of "The Collesium" interrupted by this tree line - some trees having grown some 40 ft tall or more - and it's all no more. And it looks so different... and strange. The city also cut all the trees and brush from the west side of the alley as well... so now there is an unobstructed view of the alley and the newly erected cyclone fence - an equally strange and eerie sight since the view was always masked by many over-grown and under-maintained flowering elderberry bushes and its own huge tree line as well for those 49 years. Now it's all open and to be sure, it's not a "pretty sight." In fact, my initial description/reaction of the uninterrupted line-of-sight rom by back yard to the fence could be summed-up in a single word - antisceptic. That original tree-line gave my backyard enclosed look that was rather "homey". Now that's all a memory - along with unwelcome recollections of those inebriated louts (mostly visiting fans) using my garage as their own personal pee-wall.

The ongoing plans call for NU to extend the parkway strip another 5-6 ft into the parking lot side (making the strip approx 8-10 ft wide) and to plant shrubs and smaller final-growth trees on this new parkway strip after the strip gets its finishing touches via a concrete sidewalk and a flanking curb to hold it all in. That newly planted vegitation will diminish the eyesore sight of the fence somewhat from the NU side of things looking west, but nothing is to be done regarding any re-planting for the cut-down foliage on the properties adjacent to the west edge of the alley - so the eerie antisceptic visage will remain for the foreseeable future.

So life goes on; and the only constant in life is change. And this one is quite something odd to behold. The inconvenience of walking around the fence has yet to be experienced... but it's gonna happen and that item too will take some "getting used-to."

In the meantime, decades-long perennial parking pass holders, many of whom have become dear friends over the years, have been shuffled and re-shuffled by the NU athletic office power brokers - many of which, now, have lost the priveledge of spending $25 buck-oes for the convienience of using the lot on game day. And like a kidney stone, the sting of this inconvenience will pass as well. All in the name of progress

I hope they give some thought to ingress and egress to the lot. Man it is a pain in the fanny to have to work your way through the lights on Central to go north on Ashland.

The Cyclone fence is just up while the lot is under construction, right? I assume much-discussed "neighborhood wall" will be slightly nicer than a chain-linked fence. Or not...

Also, didn't NU meet with a group of RF neighbors and agree to their demands related to the lighting? It'll be interesting to see what it looks like.

There was a goodly bit of "negotiation" with the neighborhood in regards to this plan - especially when it came-up to financing the project (NU wanted the locals to assume a large percentage of the cost). However, as usual, in the end, NU has once more proven itself too big a dog not to do whatever it wants when it comes to modifications on its own property. In spite of the side-by-side nature of the Dyche's Ditch/W-R Athletics facilities, NU power brokers frequently have shown that they will give lip service to the locals regarding proposed suggestions on iimproving original plans while in the end doing just about whatever they want. And that's when then neighborhood populace get it shoved up their end(s) and broken off.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I would post photos of the trees as they were from tailgates past to preserve the memories, but don't have current access to my Photobucket archives.

On a distant related topic, Facebook's founder is in the process of building a huge Trump inspired wall to enclose his mega acre compound here in The Hawaii Islands, all to the dismay of the locals who are unliking him all over Facebook.

The Cyclone fence is just up while the lot is under construction, right? I assume much-discussed "neighborhood wall" will be slightly nicer than a chain-linked fence. Or not...

Also, didn't NU meet with a group of RF neighbors and agree to their demands related to the lighting? It'll be interesting to see what it looks like.
Thought that it had been announced that some type of fence around the lot would be permanent.

Waterboy, isn't this new linear edifice designed to keep wayward visitors from using your street and alley as thoroughfare to the stadium? Are you upset because you might be denied the opportunity to teach the privileged, the drunk, and the stupid the finer points of visitor decorum and Evanston municipal law?

They've ruined the "charm" of the far west side of the West Lot. The trees and shrubs were nice, IMO. Wonderful emergency urinals and a visual buffer for neighboring houses. Transporting tailgating 'stuff' around to Central or Isabella will be a royal PITA! What's a little urine on your garage compared to the diminished, antiseptic landscape and hassle of lugging coolers almost a half mile around the Great Wall of the West Lot? Waterboy, how about erecting a ladder or "wire cutter doorway" for transporting tailgate items over the Great Wall? People will modify their parking strategies (move more to the north) to minimize the distance walked.

Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

(Joni Mitchell)

There was a goodly bit of "negotiation" with the neighborhood in regards to this plan - especially when it came-up to financing the project (NU wanted the locals to assume a large percentage of the cost). However, as usual, in the end, NU has once more proven itself too big a dog not to do whatever it wants when it comes to modifications on its own property. In spite of the side-by-side nature of the Dyche's Ditch/W-R Athletics facilities, NU power brokers frequently have shown that they will give lip service to the locals regarding proposed suggestions on iimproving original plans while in the end doing just about whatever they want. And that's when then neighborhood populace get it shoved up their end(s) and broken off.

Good info, and a good example of why the sometimes strained relationship between NU and Evanston isn't entirely the fault of the city fathers.

Ya know FEW, right after they forced Shon Morris out, the NU athletic department did a total U turn - and it wasn't for the better. They have proven on countless times that they don't care about me as a donor, or season ticket holder and I have given them tens of thousands of dollars as I believe you also have.

Yes, for a couple of years there I had a personal STH representative (as I assume other STH did) who helped me put the order through and was available on an extension if I had questions. They apparently have done away with that as now I don't know whom I'll get when i call the ticket office. After many years of requesting better seats (have had the same ones since 1996), I'm finally getting moved from section 126 to 127 this year. I'm leaning toward letting the partner that I buy season tickets with pay the whole freight after next year (he is willing to do it) while I attend more games at my Division II undergrad alma mater.

Yes, for a couple of years there I had a personal STH representative (as I assume other STH did) who helped me put the order through and was available on an extension if I had questions. They apparently have done away with that as now I don't know whom I'll get when i call the ticket office. After many years of requesting better seats (have had the same ones since 1996), I'm finally getting moved from section 126 to 127 this year. I'm leaning toward letting the partner that I buy season tickets with pay the whole freight after next year (he is willing to do it) while I attend more games at my Division II undergrad alma mater.
Haven't done away with it...I have a guy and his direct extension. He's the only one that ever calls or emails me for football and basketball.

I still have my "ticket broker, too. But more importantly drove by the west lot and they're still digging and working, putting in pipes for drainage and such. One idea that occurred when driving by (besides whether or not the lot will be finished as planned before the season) is the flow of foot traffic . Will there be extra police to [protect the overflow to and from the stadium who have to use the street? With the alley now planned to be narrower, will a car even be able to drive down (or up) the alley at the same time or will police add rotating stop signs at each end to allow proper traffic patterns? I suspect there will be unintended consequences once the building part is finished and the using part begins.

I couldn't agree more! We have contributed every year since my wife graduated and have been season ticket holders since the Rose Bowl year with sufficient points but because we did not give them their pound of flesh $600 did not get our West lot parking pass this year.

I know they are doing what most of the other schools are doing to raise money but I don't have to like it OR accept it - I have given up my football ticket and hell will freeze over before I renew my basketball tickets ( can't wait to see how much you will have to pony up when the stadium upgrade is completed for a team that has never made the NCAA).

I will spend the money on upgrading my TV and seating and save the hour spent driving to and from Evanston!

So because you didn't have your act together to pay the required fee to park in the fricking parking lot you wish to park in, and even though there are other parking lots in the area, you're going to stop attending games and supporting NU athletes?

No wonder our attendance sucks.

So because you didn't have your act together to pay the required fee to park in the fricking parking lot you wish to park in, and even though there are other parking lots in the area, you're going to stop attending games and supporting NU athletes?

Praise be to God Glades.

Attendance sucks because NU treats their season ticket holders like crap! Can we do anything else to make the game day less appealing - lets fence off the damn lot and make it very difficult to get to the stadium from the West side.

They make it seem like they are going you a favor to sell you tickets for mediocre teams.
Try upgrading your basketball tickets - you would think you are asking for manna from heaven. Wait till they upgrade that facility and you can pay just for the right to buy any decent tickets - for a team that has NEVER made the NCAA.

Why the hell do you think our stands have more fans from other teams than NU?

Attendance sucks because NU treats their season ticket holders like crap! Can we do anything else to make the game day less appealing - lets fence off the damn lot and make it very difficult to get to the stadium from the West side.

They make it seem like they are going you a favor to sell you tickets for mediocre teams.
Try upgrading your basketball tickets - you would think you are asking for manna from heaven. Wait till they upgrade that facility and you can pay just for the right to buy any decent tickets - for a team that has NEVER made the NCAA.

So you've come back under a different name, but the vitriol is just the same.

Because our fans are too cheap and douchy to go to games? That's all I can figure, particularly when you consider how much parking is available within 1/2 mile of the stadium.

Compare NU ticket prices and parking fees to those of every other program in the Big Ten sometime and compare attendance figures, then you'll begin to understand the extent of the NU alum douchebag problem. Then compare NU fans' attitudes such as yours versus those of Nebraska fans who spend $500+ just to see their team play 500 miles away. Of course, small school size and dispersal of alums also contributes to our attendance problems, but it's amazing to travel through Nebraska and hear old folks planning their next 400-mile road trip to Lincoln for a game.

Last edited:
Glades, are you saying that being stupid is a good thing? Nebraska fans.

Glades, are you saying that being stupid is a good thing? Nebraska fans.

I don't see the need for being in the west lot as a deal breaker for going to NU games. If you want to be in the west lot, then fork over $600. If you don't want to fork over $600, then tailgate elsewhere: north golf course, south golf course, wherever. Myself, I would park and tailgate elsewhere because I can't afford such high costs for parking. If I lived anywhere near Evanston, I'd go to the games rather than sit at home.

I'm still going to the games. Most of them, anyway. Don't care to tailgate any more. When the home schedule looks decent some year the option will always be there to pay the extra $. Not a good schedule this year in my opinion. Money saved by not tailgating will go towards nice road game trips in the future. Happy to be a douchebag alum!

Because our fans are too cheap and douchy to go to games? That's all I can figure, particularly when you consider how much parking is available within 1/2 mile of the stadium.

Compare NU ticket prices and parking fees to those of every other program in the Big Ten sometime and compare attendance figures, then you'll begin to understand the extent of the NU alum douchebag problem. Then compare NU fans' attitudes such as yours versus those of Nebraska fans who spend $500+ just to see their team play 500 miles away. Of course, small school size and dispersal of alums also contributes to our attendance problems, but it's amazing to travel through Nebraska and hear old folks planning their next 400-mile road trip to Lincoln for a game.

Not ALL of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths, are retired and don't crap dollar bills. Several couples in our group have dropped out because they can no longer afford to support NU's Big Time program. I have heard it expressed that the program is looking for more big donors and screw the little guy who has been supporting the team for years.

Not ALL of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths, are retired and don't crap dollar bills. Several couples in our group have dropped out because they can no longer afford to support NU's Big Time program. I have heard it expressed that the program is looking for more big donors and screw the little guy who has been supporting the team for years.

I've never heard grown men whine so much about a parking spot.

Scenario: You don't have the $600? Then park somewhere else.

Scenario: You just had hip replacement surgery and don't want to walk a few blocks? Get your doctor to give you a handicapped parking placard.

Scenario: You have been a season ticket holder since 1930 when Pug Rentner autographed your baby bonnet and you feel like you deserve the parking pass for living so long? Congratulations for getting a lifetime's worth of parking. However, the rules have changed now, they were clearly delineated for the last several years, and everybody else is dealing with it by donating $600 or parking somewhere else. Your solution? To boycott the team entirely. Gee, you're so rational!

Scenario: You think you're owed something that you're not? Then you can park your grievances here because you're certainly not alone.

Northwestern season tickets for both football and basketball are a BARGAIN compared to most any other school in the BIG. And they are DIRT CHEAP compared to pro sports prices in Chicago and I think the entertainment value is very close to the pro level.

I couldn't agree more! We have contributed every year since my wife graduated and have been season ticket holders since the Rose Bowl year with sufficient points but because we did not give them their pound of flesh $600 did not get our West lot parking pass this year.

I know they are doing what most of the other schools are doing to raise money but I don't have to like it OR accept it - I have given up my football ticket and hell will freeze over before I renew my basketball tickets ( can't wait to see how much you will have to pony up when the stadium upgrade is completed for a team that has never made the NCAA).

I will spend the money on upgrading my TV and seating and save the hour spent driving to and from Evanston!
The real issue is that there are fewer spaces so someone was going to be left out. But instead of priority points they are using the tiered giving as the first criteria.

Northwestern season tickets for both football and basketball are a BARGAIN compared to most any other school in the BIG. And they are DIRT CHEAP compared to pro sports prices in Chicago and I think the entertainment value is very close to the pro level.
Yes tickets to the games are relative bargains. But parking in E or W lot is now over $115/game (including donation) and that is definitely not a bargain.

Yes tickets to the games are relative bargains. But parking in E or W lot is now over $115/game (including donation) and that is definitely not a bargain.

It is absolutely a bargain by comparison to others in the conference, as well as Bears parking.

We simply do not have as many douchebags as the other schools. When you only have 20-30k local alums (if that) of which only a small % are fans within a couple hours of a 47K stadium, plenty of seats for limited demand and you have no upward pressure on ticket prices. Throw in the long term effect of the Dark Ages and it gets even worse. Compare that with schools that have 300-400k alums with with well over half local and they are the state flagship school as well and if it is a successful program ala dOSU, Mich, MSU, WIS, IA you cannot build the stadium big enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT