ADVERTISEMENT

WGN report: temporary Lakefront football facility moving forward?

Would be a more convincing point if you dropped the Gragg reference and replaced his name with university or athletic department

If the university or athletic department can pull off building stands and hosting September games at a lakefront facility is still questionable.

Number of issues would require resolution beyond getting city and neighbors on board. Haven’t even heard mention what team would use for practice facilities as construction would likely take place through summer and facilities remain in place through September.

I’m guessing they would practice inside at Ryan Fieldhouse. 🤷‍♂️

I think it's around 5K capacity, unfortunately
It *is*, but perhaps the B1G could pull together an expansion plan.

(I am, of course, being entirely facetious here. The proximity is interesting, though, and provides a nice sports-related break from all the Urlacher hair replacement ads on 294.)

Lakefront football is happening. Gragg is fully committed to making it happen (for better or worse). A chance for him to save face some. Would be a major accomplishment for he and his team.
Oh my Lord!

A Fitz loyalist has something nice to say about Dr. Gragg.

Watch our Coral! Pat’s Patrollers might dislike you for that.

I don't personally love feeding into the narrative that "I've been to high school stadiums better than Northwestern," but also...Plans B through S aren't sounding much more promising...

There isn’t really a “stadium” there now. More “large open plot of land that could maybe house a temporary stadium.”

Would be a more convincing point if you dropped the Gragg reference and replaced his name with university or athletic department

If the university or athletic department can pull off building stands and hosting September games at a lakefront facility is still questionable.

Number of issues would require resolution beyond getting city and neighbors on board. Haven’t even heard mention what team would use for practice facilities as construction would likely take place through summer and facilities remain in place through September.

Where the team practices is about the easiest logistical element to solve. That’s just the indoor.

But there are indeed about a million other things that need to be sorted besides simply erecting the stadium. And I have zero percent confidence in this NU administration to pull them off successfully.

Reactions: zeek55 and phatcat

18 months later, We Wipe Butts for a Living still comes up in my household.

The total lack of a plan here is so shocking/not shocking.

The good thing is that the logistics can theoretically be handled. Does NU still offer student shuttles from campus to the stadium?

A combination of
a. Expanding shuttle service
b. Routing that service specifically to campus lots
c. Encouraging ticket holders and students to walk from campus lots
d. Getting signage out and email communications to *every ticket holder*
e. Specifically discouraging Uber/Lyft as an option, with dropoff/pickup zone somewhere on Central or Lincoln

could theoretically handle it. (Yes, there’s more, but it’s not my job.)

I don’t trust this group to achieve it. I don’t trust second-year Ops Mgmt students in the MBA program, either.

18 months later, We Wipe Butts for a Living still comes up in my household.
We used to have billboards, but I guess we don’t market our products anymore

• Haha
Reactions: NUCat320
The total lack of a plan here is so shocking/not shocking.

The good thing is that the logistics can theoretically be handled. Does NU still offer student shuttles from campus to the stadium?

A combination of
a. Expanding shuttle service
b. Routing that service specifically to campus lots
c. Encouraging ticket holders and students to walk from campus lots
d. Getting signage out and email communications to *every ticket holder*
e. Specifically discouraging Uber/Lyft as an option, with dropoff/pickup zone somewhere on Central or Lincoln

could theoretically handle it. (Yes, there’s more, but it’s not my job.)

I don’t trust this group to achieve it. I don’t trust second-year Ops Mgmt students in the MBA program, either.
To me the best thing they can do to make things work is ask and beg anybody who isn’t elderly to walk from a more distant location, even if it’s inconvenient, so older people can take shorter walks.

Reactions: NUCat320
Where the team practices is about the easiest logistical element to solve. That’s just the indoor.

But there are indeed about a million other things that need to be sorted besides simply erecting the stadium. And I have zero percent confidence in this NU administration to pull them off successfully.
When does the BIG step in, if they have not already? This impact other teams, TV, security, ex.

When does the BIG step in, if they have not already? This impact other teams, TV, security, ex.
I will openly speculate that the Big Ten is probably in a "please update us regularly" condition. I imagine Tony Petitti being less than a year on the job is still new enough that he thinks a school like Northwestern has its act together, and it doesn't require his direct involvement. On the flipside, I also think he looks at his lineup of 18 (it's 18 now...right?) members and isn't spending much emotional energy on Northwestern Football.

Exactly.

How the hell do you get decent TV angles in that tiny stadium? How do you secure the stadium site, especially with the lake right next door and the Kellogg building overlooking things? How do you handle ticket allocations for the opponent (though there are usually less stringent requirements on non-conference games)?

And that’s only the tip of the iceberg on “rubber hits the road” items that need to be sorted. Within 5 months.

Exactly.

How the hell do you get decent TV angles in that tiny stadium? How do you secure the stadium site, especially with the lake right next door and the Kellogg building overlooking things? How do you handle ticket allocations for the opponent (though there are usually less stringent requirements on non-conference games)?

And that’s only the tip of the iceberg on “rubber hits the road” items that need to be sorted. Within 5 months.
Our ticket office is not great so I am skeptical. I think we are playing on the road (give up home games) for the days not allocated for Seat Geek and WF.

Our ticket office is not great so I am skeptical. I think we are playing on the road (give up home games) for the days not allocated for Seat Geek and WF.

Not just the ticket office… Game/Event Management, Facilities, etc.

Just curious...does anyone know of any conference rules or regulations that govern home game venues beyond a minimum capacity?

Like, I'm wondering if there are needs to be a blessing from a tv partner for venue, or a venue must be finalized at least 180 days from kickoff...or other things like these that most of us never thought we'd need to worry about? And what are the penalties? Forfeiture of home game status?

Like, I'm wondering if there are needs to be a blessing from a tv partner for venue, or a venue must be finalized at least 180 days from kickoff...or other things like these that most of us never thought we'd need to worry about? And what are the penalties? Forfeiture of home game status?
Probably there’s an appeal process. However, Northwestern is not aware of the policies nor do they intend to research. Nobody has considered that there might be.

• Haha
Reactions: ricko654321
Would be a major accomplishment for he and his team.
Why? I think nationally everybody who follows college football would simply assume NU will play at Soldier Field... and anything less (like building bleachers on the old intramural fields) would be seen as a tremendous failure.

Exactly.

I am actually warming up to the idea if only because it would be much easier to lake the posts after we finally beat Duke.

One of the most annoying alderman is ok with it.

Can’t we use Ryan field house?

I know there is a vocal minority of Evanstonians who will oppose anything NU wants to do, but I don't think city approvals will be a significant obstacle here. The opportunity to keep at least some games in Evanston has an obvious appeal for the associated sales tax revenue. If they can figure out how to construct a temporary stadium in time for the first game then bet this happens. As a bonus, maybe they can improve the permanent seating and fan amenities at Martin Stadium after the temporary structure is taken down.

I don't know the lakefront fields well, but from Google Maps satellite view, Lakeside looks smallest of the 3. So, why Lakeside? Fits more seats?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT