ADVERTISEMENT

What a Game

clarificationcat

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
I have no interest in debating the significance of this game. For me, it was without doubt one of the most exciting games I have ever seen and one of the best games I have seen from a clutch shot making perspective (for both teams). Michigan hit almost as many big shots as NU. That's what made it a great game.

I think that one of the things that makes Demps so extraordinary is that he's not a great player. He's not going to make any All Big-Ten teams this year and he wasn't even having a particularly good game when he hit all of those shots. I am used to stars hitting clutch shots. Or if it's not the star, it's some guy that stands in the corner and gets fed the ball by the star. For him to step up again and hit 3 clutch 3-points is just amazing, especially when he had to create space on two of them. I wish the reports would make clear that he hit 3 shots instead of 2. His step-back 3 in the first overtime was unbelievable. Is there some way to confirm how many game winning or game tying shots he has hit in his career in the last 10 seconds of a game. He would have been the hero in the Maryland game but for the tip-in.

The other thought I had during the game is how nice it is to be able to defensive rebound. It was so painful to watch our teams play good defense and then give up an offensive rebound. There were years when I used to hope the other team made their second free throw so there wouldn't be a chance that they got the rebound. This is not a knock on Carmody because Olah and Sanjay are big reasons why it's not an issue anymore. It's just really pleasant to watch. Now, we are actually getting offensive rebounds and extending plays.

Demps is great dribble penetrator, shotmaker and has gotten better every year. He was the key offensive reason for NU's wins last year over Illinois, at IU, at Minny when NU struggled to get to 50 points and made big plays in NU's win over the Final 4 UW squad last year when Crawford had his best game of the season. Demps was the team's clutch performer in this year's four game winning streak - Iowa, at Minny, PSU and Indiana and was very smart in his shot selection while still being NU's clutch and bail out guy on offense. He was off his game due to Illinois 3-pt barrage and quick shooting guards. It is funny that people have criticized him about his efficiency because he is the only player who can consistently create space and his own shot when NU's offense is stagnant and the ball finds him with 10 or less seconds on the shot clock and he has to create something out of nothing which oftentimes does not work when guarded by athletic or physical SG who are allowed to get their hands on him (Valentine, Petteway, Rice). Yes, his defense is not stellar, but he was willing to dive in for key loose balls last night and has improved on his defensive effort. Zac Irvin was Indiana H.S. Player of the Year two years ago and had a great game last night shooting over the zone. He has skills that will translate to the NBA so it is not surprising that NU had problems containing him. Demps is a very good Big 10 player and making all Big Ten teams occurs when the team gets over .500 in Big 10 conference play which hopefully, occurs next season.

Also, can you imagine next season when Demps has Falzon to dish the ball to on his drives for an open baseline jumper as opposed to Lumpkin. As for rebounding, imagine next year when we have real power forwards like Skelly (who will add more muscle and strength), Falzon, Pardon and the 6'10" transfer from Va. Tech to rebound instead of relying on converted SG 6'5" Lumpkin, SG Lindsey and SF Law trying to box out 6'7"-6'10" guys who outweigh them by 30-50 lbs.

I am a big fan of Demps. He's a good player and talk of Ash taking his minutes is crazy. He is the only guy on the team that can consistently create his own shot and he has been playing really well recently. But he's not a great player at this point in his career. To me, that makes what he does at the end of games even more extraordinary.

I hope everyone is right about Falzon. If he were 6"10 I would be more excited. But he's going to be guarded by guys that are his size and more athletic, so I am not sure if he's going to get a lot of clean looks. He may need some time to adjust to college game. I could see someone like Law completely shutting him down. It will stretch the floor, though. I get that. But Taphorn does that already. I assume he will be a better defending and rebounding version of Taphorn, which is great. It just may take him some time to get there.

Yes, he is not in the great player echelon like D'Angelo Russell or maybe in the class below that in Terran Petteway, Zach Irvin or Denzel Valentine, but probably is just below that grouping. Russell will be a top 5 NBA pick so he won't be in the Big 10 next season so Demps might move up a spot.

Falzon is supposedly 6'8" PF 4-star prospect who has a larger frame and better shot than Taphorn did as a 3-star prospect. I do not consider Taphorn a natural PF but more of a combo. forward with a nice stroke on his jump shot. Right now there is a major void in our offense in the paint when Olah is setting a high pick or on the weak side when Olah posts on the other block.

Clarification Cat

How do you know how Falzon's athleticism compares with other, current D1 players?

Just speculation based on 10 minutes or so of highlights and the scouting reports I have read, so I can certainly be wrong. He doesn't look particularly explosive or quick, but I was looking at video from last year. His shot looks great and he's got a good frame.

Strengths:
Falzon is a skilled young forward with the potential to develop into a mismatch four-man. He already owns range that extends well past the NBA arc along with good hands, feet, and dexterity inside the paint. He can be a good passer when he's so inclined and has progressed

This description is the ESPN Scouting Report on Falzon. He is the 78th ranked recruit in the nation from the 2015 class. Vic Law was ranked between no. 66-70 last year. This means he is a 4-star athlete and the second highest ranked recruit to sign with NU since maybe Eschmeyer.

As stated in his scouting report, Falzon has great range on his jump shot beyond 23'9" of the NBA arc and has good hands, feet and dexterity inside the paint. Sounds like a stretch four who is not afraid of mixing it up in the paint. That puts him ahead of the current PFs on the team, in my opinion (caveat: I like what I have seen in Skelly and would hope they give him more minutes to show the glimpses of talent I have seen as opposed to the guy who has not scored a point in 6 of the past 7 games). This means is that he can fit in right away next season in contribute based on his skill set and the void that NU has in these areas. I have also watched the video on you tube of him and what I am seeing with Ash, Pardon, Falzon, Law, Lindsey, McIntosh, Skelly is they have all-around basketball skills and are more athletic than prior years' recruits in my opinion. Now they are 18-19 year kids so they might not adapt to the college game and physicality of the Big 10 but from I have read the conference that Falzon is in has some traditionall bball powers like Brewster Academy that have produced some star college bball players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT