ADVERTISEMENT

What do we have to do?

TerraCat

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2001
Northern Virginia
Fitz has gotten us to a point where we have never been before. With a win this year against MSU and if we had finished off OSU we could legitimately been in the BCS hunt. Recruiting and depth is at an all-time high.

I think a true 5 star QB, RB and elite speed at WR are the critical adds moving forward. (Besides a superior DC hire/but in Fitz I trust).

It seems that we need another RB who can make things happen (like JJTBC or Darnell). And a QB who can put the offense on his shoulders.

What do you think is necessary to climb that final hill and bring a NC to Evanston?

KM

Reactions: Rodenthater
Fitz has gotten us to a point where we have never been before. With a win this year against MSU and if we had finished off OSU we could legitimately been in the BCS hunt. Recruiting and depth is at an all-time high.

I think a true 5 star QB, RB and elite speed at WR are the critical adds moving forward. (Besides a superior DC hire/but in Fitz I trust).

It seems that we need another RB who can make things happen (like JJTBC or Darnell). And a QB who can put the offense on his shoulders.

What do you think is necessary to climb that final hill and bring a NC to Evanston?

KM

Oh, that’s all?

Put more people in the NFL. That will help the programs profile and improve recruiting.

Slater didn’t help this years team, but he’s a kid that is going to be very helpful for this program on the recruiting front.

KM

OSU, Bama and Clemson talent is basically playing against an NFL junior team. Even ND just got smoked by Clemson with its starting QB and this is an up year for them. Personally I think we already have the overall best program in the country: we finish first in grad rates almost every year, we have a kid in med school on the team, we literally didn't have a single positive covid case speaking to the discipline of the team, we develop kids, families send their younger brothers to us, we rarely have kids transfer out, our coaching continuity is unparalleled, we are top 10 academically and top 25 as a football program and the player experience under Fitz is amazing. I'd love to beat OSU one day, but that is not my barometer of how lucky we are to have this program. It is literally what college football is supposed to be all about--true student athletes who are succeeding in all phases of life.

Personally I think we already have the overall best program in the country: we finish first in grad rates almost every year, we have a kid in med school on the team, we literally didn't have a single positive covid case speaking to the discipline of the team, we develop kids, families send their younger brothers to us, we rarely have kids transfer out, our coaching continuity is unparalleled, we are top 10 academically and top 25 as a football program and the player experience under Fitz is amazing. I'd love to beat OSU one day, but that is not my barometer of how lucky we are to have this program. It is literally what college football is supposed to be all about--true student athletes who are succeeding in all phases of life.

Man, after reading this, I want to go back to NU right now. If I only I had some eligibility left. And I wasn't old. And I could play football.

Had we taken care of business against MSU, even if we had the same outcome yesterday, we’d be be a top 10 team today, COVID free, top 5-10 defense and perennial top GSR. Overall one of the elite programs in the country overall. But results on the field ultimately matter most and if we can’t reliably score points to win the big games, or even stay in the top 100 in offense, we’re not getting the blue chip offensive skill players.

I know there are things in terms of overall talent where we can improve...overall team speed on offense always seems to be a deficit. not only from a success standpoint but an excitement and marketing standpoint...remember how exciting Venric Mark was? which brings me to my second what we need to do...FILL THE STADIUM....I never, ever want to go to a game again and be overwhelmed by opposing fans.....maybe mathematically it is not possible...but I want us to win the FAN battle as well as the battle at the line of scrimmage...I feel like the University and team have done their part....

Reactions: mikero3
OSU, Bama and Clemson talent is basically playing against an NFL junior team. Even ND just got smoked by Clemson with its starting QB and this is an up year for them. Personally I think we already have the overall best program in the country: we finish first in grad rates almost every year, we have a kid in med school on the team, we literally didn't have a single positive covid case speaking to the discipline of the team, we develop kids, families send their younger brothers to us, we rarely have kids transfer out, our coaching continuity is unparalleled, we are top 10 academically and top 25 as a football program and the player experience under Fitz is amazing. I'd love to beat OSU one day, but that is not my barometer of how lucky we are to have this program. It is literally what college football is supposed to be all about--true student athletes who are succeeding in all phases of life.
This is just my opinion, but I think if we had ND’s recruits and athleticism we could challenge for a national title. I’m not saying I don’t love our guys/our guys aren’t athletic. However our coaches are amazing do more with less. The floor of the defense has slowly kept rising the past 6 years, and it is culminating with a consistently top 10 group. Now they must turn to the offense and slowly keep rising the floor. More competition breeds more success. This is where Jake comes in, he brings a new set of eyes on what we can do better to keep building up the floor on offense.

Reactions: TerraCat

KM

Baz, C.J., Persa, and other QBs we've were pretty good and certainly weren't five-star recruits. NU won the B1G twice with Steve Schnur. What we need first is to get the o-line up to speed. Nothing happens on offense without a good o-line. Get some good, no-nonsense RBs, and some WRs who can get separation.

This is just my opinion, but I think if we had ND’s recruits and athleticism we could challenge for a national title. I’m not saying I don’t love our guys/our guys aren’t athletic. However our coaches are amazing do more with less. The floor of the defense has slowly kept rising the past 6 years, and it is culminating with a consistently top 10 group. Now they must turn to the offense and slowly keep rising the floor. More competition breeds more success. This is where Jake comes in, he brings a new set of eyes on what we can do better to keep building up the floor on offense.

If we had the talent of a CFP team we would be competing for titles? Way to go out on a limb there.

Baz, C.J., Persa, and other QBs we've were pretty good and certainly weren't five-star recruits. NU won the B1G twice with Steve Schnur. What we need first is to get the o-line up to speed. Nothing happens on offense without a good o-line. Get some good, no-nonsense RBs, and some WRs who can get separation.

While there's still a ways to go on the OL, you barely have to squint to see how NU gets rapid improvement there in the coming years.

1. Kurt Anderson has NFL and SEC bonafides, not to mention was a former Big Ten OL himself and has a big personality.

2. Slater is going to be a potential first-round NFL Draft pick that the program can point to.

3. Skoronski already has racked up awards and shows a 5-star talent can come to NU and have success.

I don't necessarily see a similar path at WR. Getting a local guy like Fleurima would be extremely helpful, obviously. Need to win the local battles. The good news at WR is that Kirtz looked solid and hopefully GHP will develop.

While we await the 5-stars' arrival, Porter looks like the RB the team has been missing. He's a level better than the players that have been ahead of him and should have been given more PT earlier.

Reactions: TerraCat
While we await the 5-stars' arrival, Porter looks like the RB the team has been missing. He's a level better than the players that have been ahead of him and should have been given more PT earlier.

I agree he is the best back we have right now. And I agree he should have gotten in earlier in the season. Fitz is stubborn when it comes to replacing skill positions. I do not know why. And yesterday Cam was amazing, particularly in the first half. He is the closest thing we have to a guy who makes something out of nothing. He looks for the hole, as JJTBC did!

Notre Dame is challenging for a National Title with Kelly at the helm. Fitz would certainly challenge with the same talent. Like it or not, they are 2 wins from a Natty.

I know there are things in terms of overall talent where we can improve...overall team speed on offense always seems to be a deficit. not only from a success standpoint but an excitement and marketing standpoint...remember how exciting Venric Mark was? which brings me to my second what we need to do...FILL THE STADIUM....I never, ever want to go to a game again and be overwhelmed by opposing fans.....maybe mathematically it is not possible...but I want us to win the FAN battle as well as the battle at the line of scrimmage...I feel like the University and team have done their part....
Good luck filling the stadium if NU doesn’t have a Title contender.

It could have realistically taken him almost the entire (shortened) season to get a firm enough handle on the playbook to get playing time. Not surprised Bowser and Anderson were the first choices.

Could have used him against MSU though.

Reactions: cat inkansas
It could have realistically taken him almost the entire (shortened) season to get a firm enough handle on the playbook to get playing time. Not surprised Bowser and Anderson were the first choices.

Could have used him against MSU though.
We did. He came in late and scored the go ahead TD out of the Wildcat!

My hopes every year are for the Cats to compete for the Big Ten West title, go to a decent Bowl Game and win it.

If the Cats beat Auburn, I'll consider this a very successful season.

KM
Winning an NC in football is an unrealistic goal for any program except the football factories. That's just the way this sport is. Beating 3 of those programs (Ohio State in the Big Ten and then 2 in the CFP), is just never likely to happen.

Can we beat one? Yes, maybe even two if things go our way. 3 in a row is really, really going to be hard to ever pull off.

We aren't all that far off from being able to beat Ohio State in any singular game. Basically just need a difference maker or two on offense and even better line play.

There's a big difference between being a perennial top 25 team (as we've basically been the past half decade) and then being a top 10-15 team, and then being a top 4 team. Those are 3 completely different tiers of teams.

Any program can make a jump from top 25 to top 10-15 team regularly; we probably can if our offense reaches the level of our defense. The next jump to top 4 regularly is basically not really possible unless you're a football factory.

Reactions: rogerkim
<<Any program can make a jump from top 25 to top 10-15 team regularly; we probably can if our offense reaches the level of our defense. The next jump to top 4 regularly is basically not really possible unless you're a football factory.>>

Interesting take Zeek. You are probably right. Top 10-15 regularly would be great!!! I would definitely take that! Winning the B1G is the first goal, and we came close this year.

It is unlikely but I do think a Fitz coached team, under the right circumstances, might perhaps, with the right players WIN IT ALL! Your argument is sound though. It would be hard to win back to back games against the kind of football factories that get so many great players.

Let's raid the transfer portal, and go get a great recruiting class! The fact that we are having this discussion is amazing! Go Cats!

KM
OL and DT/Rush End. I agree, but we need more athleticism on the DL and outside edges now that our backend play is so strong.

Winning an NC in football is an unrealistic goal for any program except the football factories. That's just the way this sport is. Beating 3 of those programs (Ohio State in the Big Ten and then 2 in the CFP), is just never likely to happen.

Can we beat one? Yes, maybe even two if things go our way. 3 in a row is really, really going to be hard to ever pull off.

We aren't all that far off from being able to beat Ohio State in any singular game. Basically just need a difference maker or two on offense and even better line play.

There's a big difference between being a perennial top 25 team (as we've basically been the past half decade) and then being a top 10-15 team, and then being a top 4 team. Those are 3 completely different tiers of teams.

Any program can make a jump from top 25 to top 10-15 team regularly; we probably can if our offense reaches the level of our defense. The next jump to top 4 regularly is basically not really possible unless you're a football factory.

This is well said. I think 2018 and 2020 have set the benchmark for success for NU: Winning the Big Ten West and having a shot at the Big Ten Championship. It's going to be a major challenge to get past Ohio State -- it's an NFL feeder program, after all -- but can the Cats win 1 of 4 games against the Buckeyes? Perhaps with a few more difference makers. I think the first half of last weekend's game and the third quarter in 2018 proved that.

Michigan State got to just outside the top level at its peak under Dantonio. They beat OSU and made the CFP where they were overmatched.

Michigan State got to just outside the top level at its peak under Dantonio. They beat OSU and made the CFP where they were overmatched.
With all due respect to Ramsey, and thank the Lord we have him...we win that game with 2010 Dan Persa. No question. Perhaps with Thor or Siemian, but they too made untimely mistakes. But Persa? We win. So you can keep all of your elite wideouts and althletic DLs. Need a top level QB. Even the two headed 2012 model would have won, because Colter could pass from that Wildcat formation

This is well said. I think 2018 and 2020 have set the benchmark for success for NU: Winning the Big Ten West and having a shot at the Big Ten Championship. It's going to be a major challenge to get past Ohio State -- it's an NFL feeder program, after all -- but can the Cats win 1 of 4 games against the Buckeyes? Perhaps with a few more difference makers. I think the first half of last weekend's game and the third quarter in 2018 proved that.
Yeah, that's why I think the program is in a great place. Reality is our defense is good enough for us to be a regular top 25 team with the defense we have and a competent ball-holding offense. With a couple more pieces on offense (and a game breaking player or two of Persa-level quality), we'd probably take a step to the upper/middle of the top 25 regularly (around top 10-15).

And yes, if we keep getting to the Big Ten championship game, we'll win our share of them. We weren't all that far off this year, and I doubt many of our fans expected to experience this level of success.

Yeah, I think for any program in the Big Ten that isn't Ohio State, that's probably the best you can expect. Challenge Ohio State for the Big Ten, and maybe get to the CFP if everything goes right.

Beating 3 teams of Ohio State's level (i.e. Ohio State then Clemson and Alabama) is just not going to happen for anybody that isn't already a football factory.

There's a reason it's the same handful of teams making the CFP every single year.

Even Wisconsin which has had a ton of success the past 3 decades hasn't gotten close to the NC.

Getting to Wisconsin's level of success (i.e. regular appearances in the top 10) is a reasonable goal. They've made it to 7 Rose Bowls, an Orange Bowl, and a Cotton Bowl in recent history.

Wisconsin has basically made it to the peak of the "2nd level" I described and manage to stay there, and they haven't been serious contenders to win the NC because the football factories are just a different beast.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Michigan State got to the outskirts of the top tier with shutdown CBs, stellar OL and DL, plus high-level QB play from Cook in 2013 and 2015. We have the first, have half the second with OL on the upswing, and could have the third. And what a jolt the offense could get simply with an undersized speedy WR who Bajakian could scheme open and for YAC in bunch formations like Rondale Moore.

Yeah, that's why I think the program is in a great place. Reality is our defense is good enough for us to be a regular top 25 team with the defense we have and a competent ball-holding offense. With a couple more pieces on offense (and a game breaking player or two of Persa-level quality), we'd probably take a step to the upper/middle of the top 25 regularly (around top 10-15).

And yes, if we keep getting to the Big Ten championship game, we'll win our share of them. We weren't all that far off this year, and I doubt many of our fans expected to experience this level of success.

Yeah, I think for any program in the Big Ten that isn't Ohio State, that's probably the best you can expect. Challenge Ohio State for the Big Ten, and maybe get to the CFP if everything goes right.

Beating 3 teams of Ohio State's level (i.e. Ohio State then Clemson and Alabama) is just not going to happen for anybody that isn't already a football factory.

There's a reason it's the same handful of teams making the CFP every single year.

Even Wisconsin which has had a ton of success the past 3 decades hasn't gotten close to the NC.

Getting to Wisconsin's level of success (i.e. regular appearances in the top 10) is a reasonable goal. They've made it to 7 Rose Bowls, an Orange Bowl, and a Cotton Bowl in recent history.

Wisconsin has basically made it to the peak of the "2nd level" I described and manage to stay there, and they haven't been serious contenders to win the NC because the football factories are just a different beast.

Reactions: zeek55
Michigan State got to the outskirts of the top tier with shutdown CBs, stellar OL and DL, plus high-level QB play from Cook in 2013 and 2015. We have the first, have half the second with OL on the upswing, and could have the third. And what a jolt the offense could get simply with an undersized speedy WR who Bajakian could scheme open and for YAC in bunch formations like Rondale Moore.
We’ve tried a lot of undersized WRs. Vault, Jefferson, Washington, Jelani Roberts, etc. so many passes just outside their outstretched arms. We need bigger targets that can fight for the ball. I’m hoping that GHP and Dennis are those guys and we can pick up more soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT