ADVERTISEMENT

What do you feel is the key to NU having a shot on Saturday night?

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
That is the biggest question as far as I am concerned Is whether or not NU can hold up on the oline. ND is loaded up front just like UM, and we all know how that game ended.

The line played a great game last week, but was brutal against Rutgers. We shall see.

Reactions: rmndcat
Defense needs to play their normally great game. This is the best D ND has faced since UM and better than UM was week one. They need to have a good game but not necessarily their best game of the season
Offense needs to have balanced success and limit turnovers. Offense needs to have one of their better games of the season even if it doesn't look perfect.

NU turned the ball over three times last week and still won fairly easily. They can't afford to turn the ball over so much against a team that is likely much better than Wisconsin.

Unexpected Thorson mobility could be interesting.

Defense just needs to play like they have the last two weeks.

Last edited:
NU turned the ball over three times last week and still won fairly easily. They can't afford to turn the ball over so much against a team that is likely much better than Wisconsin.

Unexpected Thorson mobility could be interesting.

Defense just needs to play like the have the last two weeks.

Agree with Smelly that turnovers will be the key. Cats need to have 0 tomorrow and force at least 1 from ND.

#2 for me is to have a good defensive plan (and execution) for the RPO which we certainly didn't earlier in the season.

Our defense has kept us in big games for most of this past decade, so I'm not worried much about that side of the ball.

The key for me is the same as the Wisconsin game and the upcoming Iowa and Minnesota games:

The OL has to protect CT and give him enough time to operate, and they have to be able to continue to open the holes for Bowser that they've been able to for the past 2 games.

Notre Dame's front 7 will be a lot better than Wisconsin's; that's where our biggest challenge is.

Our defense has kept us in big games for most of this past decade, so I'm not worried much about that side of the ball.

The key for me is the same as the Wisconsin game and the upcoming Iowa and Minnesota games:

The OL has to protect CT and give him enough time to operate, and they have to be able to continue to open the holes for Bowser that they've been able to for the past 2 games.

Notre Dame's front 7 will be a lot better than Wisconsin's; that's where our biggest challenge is.
Play the same as we did against Michigan but do it for 60 minutes. Thorson has to look off the defenders. Nagel has to be Nagel again. And our OC has to game plan differently with plays that haven't been seen, pass routes which free up a receiver, and CT throw in front of the receiver, not behind.

BTN pundits keep saying how they worry NU will spend too much energy vs ND/the logic being that we have to play Iowa next week- the more important game. Well, imho, to my knowledge, Iowa is playing Purdue tomorrow- and Purdue matches up pretty good against Iowa/and Iowa very well may lose that BIG game like I hope they will- that game will be pretty darn physical and the Iowa players will be bruised up as well as NU players vs ND. The difference is that I think ND is better than Iowa- and we are going to get a practice run against a ND to get our team even better. When we play Iowa next week, a few more running holes will be open/a few more wr's will be open for CThor passes/the rbs+wrs of Iowa will be a little slower and easier to tackle. We will be a better team after the ND game. I am not sure if Iowa will be better after facing PU tomorrow? When we face Iowa, they might be coming off a BIG west loss. Win or lose vs ND, we still will be 5-1 in our conference! LETS GO CATS!!

Bring back the Bubble Screen! Didn't we see some of that vs. UM and it worked? Or was that vs. MSU?

NU can count on ND's DL getting push and working to wear down the OL. Run a game plan with a good balance of run / pass and for the latter plays that get the ball out of Thorson's hands quickly. If McCall can neutralize ND's D line advantage with the 'ol dink, dink, and run, then I think NU has a shot to at least keep it close.

Reactions: NUMBfan
By now, I think we all know that if the Northwestern offensive line comes to play, the team can hang around with anyone. See Ohio State 2016, for example. NU only collapses when the OL gets manhandled, leaving the offense behind the sticks and forcing three-and-outs. That, in turn, tires out the defense and "bend don't break" becomes "break."

NU doesn't have to play perfectly to win. But the team is going to have to turn its best performance of the season, that's for sure.

survive the 1st quarter, Kelly and crew looking for a statement game and may ask too much too early of their team, clean penalty free ball on our side, ND looking for 100% effort early may result in < 75 % production late.

That is the biggest question as far as I am concerned Is whether or not NU can hold up on the oline. ND is loaded up front just like UM, and we all know how that game ended.

The line played a great game last week, but was brutal against Rutgers. We shall see.
I agree the game will turn on the o line. ND strength is in their defensive front seven. They may be several cuts above Wisconsin..
cats have to find a way to run a little and protect Thomson or the fun will be all at our expense.
Our defense will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT