ADVERTISEMENT

What happened to Bonner?

scru

Sep 4, 2005
guess it's not uncommon for kids to change their minds. Too bad, thought he'd be a good one in purple.

Not too worried. Just read that the last time we had a decommit, Fitz flipped Flynn Nagel from Duke.

That decommit was Grant Perry, who got in legal trouble and his future is still uncertain at U of M.

MUCH better result for us, regardless of legal issues- gimme Flynn every day!! I think he will be BETTER than Ebert and will finish in top three (maybe even #1) in NU receiving. Plus, he is a TRUE junior so we still have two years left and don't have to worry about him being a redshirt junior that leaves after graduation.

Not too worried. Just read that the last time we had a decommit, Fitz flipped Flynn Nagel from Duke.

That decommit was Grant Perry, who got in legal trouble and his future is still uncertain at U of M.

MUCH better result for us, regardless of legal issues- gimme Flynn every day!! I think he will be BETTER than Ebert and will finish in top three (maybe even #1) in NU receiving. Plus, he is a TRUE junior so we still have two years left and don't have to worry about him being a redshirt junior that leaves after graduation.
Whoa, I like Flynn too, but top in receiving in NU history? Seems like a stretch.

Let me clarify- I meant in receptions and maybe yards. Bates is almost out of reach but Flynn should certainly climb with two more seasons with Clayton. Yes I said TWO! :)

Perry was getting some playing time at UM but he wasn't blowing anyone away where as Nagel has already made a bit of a mark with two years left to contribute. Putting Bonner in Perry's light may be unfair to him due to the legal issues but your post did make me wonder if Bonner met his class and found them wanting in some way. Maybe they were all too much of straight shooters or cut from a different cloth in some other way.
If he went to that BBQ and came away unimpressed it is probably good for him and NU if he goes a different way.

Last edited:
We are in very good shape at CB for the near future, we've recruited this position very well recently and are stocked with high quality Big 10 caliber athletes.

Projected starters Watkins and Hartage are juniors. Fitz thinks Watkins can play on Sundays.
Mayo, who can play either CB or safety, is a soph.
Campbell is a soph.
Bullock is a RS frosh.
The injured Trae Williams is a soph - not sure if he will get a medical redshirt?
Incoming frosh are athletic - Cam Ruiz is a track star - and have length - Bryce Jackson is 6-1 188.
Verbal commit Newsome is going to be a stud.

We are in very good shape at CB for the near future, we've recruited this position very well recently and are stocked with high quality Big 10 caliber athletes.

Projected starters Watkins and Hartage are juniors. Fitz thinks Watkins can play on Sundays.
Mayo, who can play either CB or safety, is a soph.
Campbell is a soph.
Bullock is a RS frosh.
The injured Trae Williams is a soph - not sure if he will get a medical redshirt?
Incoming frosh are athletic - Cam Ruiz is a track star - and have length - Bryce Jackson is 6-1 188.
Verbal commit Newsome is going to be a stud.

Williams is listed at 212 on the latest roster. Guessing that means he's making the move to safety he started last year before injuries pushed him to CB.

Williams is listed at 212 on the latest roster. Guessing that means he's making the move to safety he started last year before injuries pushed him to CB.

I thought he played well at CB last year. Maybe with Godwin and Queiro graduating after this year, the coaches feel he can help more at safety. With McShepard in the mix at CB this year, our depth should be pretty good.

I thought he played well at CB last year. Maybe with Godwin and Queiro graduating after this year, the coaches feel he can help more at safety. With McShepard in the mix at CB this year, our depth should be pretty good.

He did, but was at least beginning the transition to safety during spring ball before moving back to corner when Watkins went down. I think he's physically a little better suited for safety.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT