ADVERTISEMENT

What is responsible for the lack of viable downfield passing?

DocCat2

Aug 25, 2005
I haven't watched a lot of NU football (which is good, because it hasn't been very watchable....).

We don't seem to be able to attack with intermediate or deep passes.

Is it:

1. QB's who can't deliver the ball deep?
2. WR's who can't gain enough separation and get open?
3. OL can't give the QB enough time to throw deep?

Our offense is pretty easy to defend- stuff the box because you know it's going to be a run or very short pass.

I haven't watched a lot of NU football (which is good, because it hasn't been very watchable....).

Is it:

Our offense is pretty easy to defend- stuff the box because you know it's going to be a run or very short pass.
All of the above

You raise the issue that has been plaguing our offense for years.

Even if your receivers are not fast enough to just blow by a cornerback and get open, there are ways to get behind the secondary. One of the best ways is for the QB to buy time while scrambling...

but our receivers seem like they are all ordered to come back to the ball, which draws every defender into a limited area - never good for an offense.

Hilinski doesn't see the field well and doesn't scramble. Sullivan shows promise in both areas. But the receivers have to actually break deep - I think this is a coaching philosophy mental block. "You must come back to the ball!"

It does not work.

Run to open space.

I would like to know the average time our qbs get in the pocket b4 they r pressured....I thought Hellinski stood in there pretty well....I think it is interesting that we got two 4star qbs through the portal...one got happy feet...the other took a beating but neither were successful....So I am wondering about the o-line as pass blockers

A lot of things have to work for a downfield passing attack to be effective. First, you need good pass pro to give more time for the play to develop. Second, you need receivers who can beat man coverage on deep routes, or find seams in zone coverages.

Third, you need a scheme that manipulates guys open on downfield routes. Often, this includes forcing a team to respect the run and bring at least one safety into the box, or at least give credence to play action fakes. Or maybe you have a tight end that can stretch the middle and occupy a safety, which should give you more space on sideline routes away from a deep safety.

Finally, you need a QB who can process all this, find one-on-one coverages downfield, and have the arm strength to get the ball to the right spot on time.

A lot of things have to work for a downfield passing attack to be effective. First, you need good pass pro to give more time for the play to develop. Second, you need receivers who can beat man coverage on deep routes, or find seams in zone coverages.

Third, you need a scheme that manipulates guys open on downfield routes. Often, this includes forcing a team to respect the run and bring at least one safety into the box, or at least give credence to play action fakes. Or maybe you have a tight end that can stretch the middle and occupy a safety, which should give you more space on sideline routes away from a deep safety.

Finally, you need a QB who can process all this, find one-on-one coverages downfield, and have the arm strength to get the ball to the right spot on time.
I had a high school friend who was an All American WR and said "my job is to get open.That's it." He was not a speed demon and neither was Austin Carr, who clearly understood the same thing. Sullivan's mobility gives the receivers a better shot at getting open in our offense, but I do wonder what happened to the RH who lit up the field in Dublin with the same receivers.

I had a high school friend who was an All American WR and said "my job is to get open.That's it." He was not a speed demon and neither was Austin Carr, who clearly understood the same thing. Sullivan's mobility gives the receivers a better shot at getting open in our offense, but I do wonder what happened to the RH who lit up the field in Dublin with the same receivers.
Defenses adapt (except JON’s)

Last edited:
We actually threw more deep balls last Saturday with Sullivan then I remember in a long time. We actually hit on some of them too!

Reactions: drewjin

Is it:

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Is it:

yes

You raise the issue that has been plaguing our offense for years.

Even if your receivers are not fast enough to just blow by a cornerback and get open, there are ways to get behind the secondary. One of the best ways is for the QB to buy time while scrambling...

but our receivers seem like they are all ordered to come back to the ball, which draws every defender into a limited area - never good for an offense.

Hilinski doesn't see the field well and doesn't scramble. Sullivan shows promise in both areas. But the receivers have to actually break deep - I think this is a coaching philosophy mental block. "You must come back to the ball!"

It does not work.

Run to open space.
Having the receivers come back for the ball is pretty normal. You act as if it is something we are alone in coaching. I think you would have a hard time finding a coaching staff that doesn't try to have the receivers do it.

They got film on him

Having the receivers come back for the ball is pretty normal. You act as if it is something we are alone in coaching. I think you would have a hard time finding a coaching staff that doesn't try to have the receivers do it.
I'm saying it is boring and utterly predictable, therefore easy to defend.
I didn't say "no receiver should come back to the QB."
But it is silly and grossly ineffective for everybody to come back every time.

I guess you mis-interpreted.

All of the above
Peaty has it nailed. All of the above, which a major reason is the lack of some real coaching at all aspects of the game. No quality skilled offensive position kids will want to play for an offensive system that is rather constrained and shows a lack of imagination. Until that changes we will only recruit 3 star high school kids that are only good enough to make a Division I roster and nothing more. The coaching staff from top to bottom has been exposed as being a bunch of frauds. If Fitz had any sense of decency, he would restructure his contract and take a major pay cut so the program could hire both a first class OC and DC. His current coordinators are mediocre at best.

I would like to know the average time our qbs get in the pocket b4 they r pressured....I thought Hellinski stood in there pretty well....I think it is interesting that we got two 4star qbs through the portal...one got happy feet...the other took a beating but neither were successful....So I am wondering about the o-line as pass blockers

one 4 star qb. one 5 star qb. But, it was that they were overrated. It couldn't be because of our system.

From the Iowa Rivals reporter, re Brohm's approach for attacking the Iwa defense:

"it’s a scheme and it revolves around finding the single coverage situations in the passing game with your wide receivers and taking shots down the field. I think that’s the way you have to go after Iowa is take shots down the field in one-on-one situations."

one 4 star qb. one 5 star qb. But, it was that they were overrated. It couldn't be because of our system.
I wonder how Aidan O'Connell or Sam Hartman would have fared in our system. Anyone who was at Wrigley last year saw what a former walk-on could do with great receivers and an OL that gave him time to do those pump fakes that our DB's bit on repeatedly.

From the Iowa Rivals reporter, re Brohm's approach for attacking the Iwa defense:

"it’s a scheme and it revolves around finding the single coverage situations in the passing game with your wide receivers and taking shots down the field. I think that’s the way you have to go after Iowa is take shots down the field in one-on-one situations."
I watched Iowa play OSU. Eventually OSU pulled away with some big plays, but they have some really good DBs. Break with the receiver, play close, not a lot of penalties. They were simply beaten on perfect throws and superhuman catches. I don't expect that from us. The one and only advantage over OSUs offense we have is Sully's mobility, but I imagine Jack Campbell will be ready for that.

Even w JONs shitshow, take the under

I wonder how Aidan O'Connell or Sam Hartman would have fared in our system. Anyone who was at Wrigley last year saw what a former walk-on could do with great receivers and an OL that gave him time to do those pump fakes that our DB's bit on repeatedly.

I'm beginning to think after the last few years that put anyone in there - 5 star, 4 star, 3 star no star walk-on, and we aren't going to see much magic. At some point, we have to consider that maybe it's not the QB talent.

Is it:

Hillinski was not mobile enough to be a real threat downfield! Sullivan is however and I expect a win Saturday!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT