ADVERTISEMENT

What is the Buzz on Northwestern in Recruiting?

I understand your point about Midwestern kids. But both Stanford and NU recruit nationally. In the last 2 years NU has lost kids to Stanford who come from NJ, IN, LA, PA, CA, FL, MD, VA, and 2 from GA this year. I don't think the midwest alone is deep enough given the competition from OSU, MI, MSU. Demographics are shifting the talent pool south and proximity is becoming less of a factor. Half of the commits in the current class are from TX, not exactly a piece of cake to travel to Chicago for games!
Jango and I had no interest in that kind of travel. NU and the schedule they play are perfect for us. I know kids go to Stanford from all over. It is a beautiful campus and education. But personally, I am ecstatic my son chose NU.

Jango and I had no interest in that kind of travel. NU and the schedule they play are perfect for us. I know kids go to Stanford from all over. It is a beautiful campus and education. But personally, I am ecstatic my son chose NU.

So am I. And I spent 7.5 years there, first getting my BS and later my Ph.D., so I know from experience that it can be a great place to live and learn.

Reactions: CatsDad
So am I. And I spent 7.5 years there, first getting my BS and later my Ph.D., so I know from experience that it can be a great place to live and learn.

Fitzphile, you may have been one of my ChemE TA's when I was an undergrad. I was ChemE from 1980-5. I redshirted to co-op at a Fortune 10 company. Can't believe Prof. Kung is still there.

Fitzphile, you may have been one of my ChemE TA's when I was an undergrad. I was ChemE from 1980-5. I redshirted to co-op at a Fortune 10 company. Can't believe Prof. Kung is still there.

Yeah, Harold is amazing. All my old profs are long gone: Butt, Brown (ugh!), Slattery, Bankoff, Mah, Stevens, Dranoff, and my thesis advisor Bill Graessley, one of the all time nicest guys in the world. I think Steve Carr and Buck Crist are still around, they were on my thesis defense committee.

I understand your point about Midwestern kids. But both Stanford and NU recruit nationally. In the last 2 years NU has lost kids to Stanford who come from NJ, IN, LA, PA, CA, FL, MD, VA, and 2 from GA this year. I don't think the midwest alone is deep enough given the competition from OSU, MI, MSU. Demographics are shifting the talent pool south and proximity is becoming less of a factor. Half of the commits in the current class are from TX, not exactly a piece of cake to travel to Chicago for games!
Traveling to Chicago from Texas is one hell of a lot easier than traveling to San Francisco. Just ask NU Houston who comes to Chicago on game days from Houston.

Traveling to Chicago from Texas is one hell of a lot easier than traveling to San Francisco. Just ask NU Houston who comes to Chicago on game days from Houston.

They can take the train (Sunset Limited and City of New Orleans), too. That would be my choice of travel. I loved taking the Cal. Zephyr from Denver to Chicago and back.

They can take the train (Sunset Limited and City of New Orleans), too. That would be my choice of travel. I loved taking the Cal. Zephyr from Denver to Chicago and back.
Problem with the train is if you are not at the place of origin younger know when it is going to arrive to pick you up.

Yeah, Harold is amazing. All my old profs are long gone: Butt, Brown (ugh!), Slattery, Bankoff, Mah, Stevens, Dranoff, and my thesis advisor Bill Graessley, one of the all time nicest guys in the world. I think Steve Carr and Buck Crist are still around, they were on my thesis defense committee.

I had Boomer Brown, man he was a scary dude and not a very good teacher. I don't know how I survived his class. Harold was okay. Bankoff was good. I'm surprised Carr is still around, was not impressed with him though he was a nice guy and politically adept. My all time favorite was Dr. Julia Weertman of the Material Science department, she was a great teacher and a sweet lady. Torkelson was excellent in polymer science, wonder if you knew him as he was fairly new.

I had Boomer Brown, man he was a scary dude and not a very good teacher. I don't know how I survived his class. Harold was okay. Bankoff was good. I'm surprised Carr is still around, was not impressed with him though he was a nice guy and politically adept. My all time favorite was Dr. Julia Weertman of the Material Science department, she was a great teacher and a sweet lady. Torkelson was excellent in polymer science, wonder if you knew him as he was fairly new.

I knew Torkelspn when he was working for Macosko at Minnesota. Bright, energetic guy. Good successor to Graessley in polymers. Weertman was very good. Agree about Carr, the ultimate politician, but my roommate had him for a thesis advisor and liked him.

BTW, George Brown and Arthur Butz are Exhibits A and B why Tenure is no longer a good idea, for different reasons. Brown basically gave up late in his career, doing zero research and a crappy job of teaching. Butz was/is an anti-semite. I'd add Prof. Leslie in Mathematics, who might have been brilliant but was a complete waste of time in the classroom. Faculty should be judged on their performance throughout their careers, and tenure abolished. No one (outside of government civil servants) has Tenure in the real world.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT