ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect from the student section today

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatJones

Nov 30, 2013
I must say I've been disgusted with the student section the last two games. The University makes a point of outlining proper behavior in the arena in their pre-game announcement to respect all in attendance in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.. It's quite a long list. The student section should listen to that message, as should our athletic director and basketball coach.

In the Purdue game, when Purdue's Mason Gillis got the ball, the student section chanted "DUI, DUI", mocking this young man because of a past alcohol problem, possibly due to the chronic disease of alcoholism. I hope he can get the proper treatment. In the Indiana game our former player Miller Kopp received the chant "f*** you Miller" when he touched the ball. Maybe Miller didn't live up to expectations during his time here, but here's a young man who tried to better himself by transferring to another university. For this he deserves to be the object of an obscene chant? Where were the head basketball coach and the athletic director, the two people most able to stop the chants, when this was happening? One or both should have been on the PA announcer's mike, telling the students to stop.

Coach Collins and Dr. Bragg may get another chance today. Patrick McCaffery has missed several recent games due to an anxiety disorder, and is now back playing. I'm curious if the student section will think this is funny as well, and mock Patrick for having anxiety. If so, it's an opportunity for Coach Collins and Dr. Bragg to finally step up and do the right thing.

• Haha
Reactions: FrancisSearle75
I must say I've been disgusted with the student section the last two games. The University makes a point of outlining proper behavior in the arena in their pre-game announcement to respect all in attendance in terms of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.. It's quite a long list. The student section should listen to that message, as should our athletic director and basketball coach.

In the Purdue game, when Purdue's Mason Gillis got the ball, the student section chanted "DUI, DUI", mocking this young man because of a past alcohol problem, possibly due to the chronic disease of alcoholism. I hope he can get the proper treatment. In the Indiana game our former player Miller Kopp received the chant "f*** you Miller" when he touched the ball. Maybe Miller didn't live up to expectations during his time here, but here's a young man who tried to better himself by transferring to another university. For this he deserves to be the object of an obscene chant? Where were the head basketball coach and the athletic director, the two people most able to stop the chants, when this was happening? One or both should have been on the PA announcer's mike, telling the students to stop.

Coach Collins and Dr. Bragg may get another chance today. Patrick McCaffery has missed several recent games due to an anxiety disorder, and is now back playing. I'm curious if the student section will think this is funny as well, and mock Patrick for having anxiety. If so, it's an opportunity for Coach Collins and Dr. Bragg to finally step up and do the right thing.
Choosing to get in a car while extremely drunk and putting others lives in danger and disparaging your old team after transferring are different than having a chemical imbalance that causes anxiety and depression.

Not saying the chants against Gillis and Kopp were classy but I could accept those way more than what you’re suggesting they might do to McCaffery. I would hope that won’t happen and assume our students are smart enough to stay away from that.

I'm amazed Purdue let Gillis continue to be on the team after his arrest. He endangered the lives on anyone on the road that night. Serves him right to be reminded of his crime.

The Kopp chant was wrong. Poor taste. Not everyone agrees. Move on.

I agree I hope McCaffrey isn't a target. Ryan Hilinsky can attest that mental health is no joking matter.

My extreme pessimism leads me to believe the McCaffrey will go off for a career high tonight.

@CatJones Does this work for you??

Reactions: drewjin

Quit crying, Jesus Christ

Miller? We know that’s you, Miller.

It's extremely offensive to people who don't have fathers and frankly I'm disgusted by it.

Lmfao.

Haha was this a serious post? Outside of the point of not going after McCaffrey for anxiety, the rest was nonsense. Alright they shouldn’t have said F you Miller the fanbase (on this board anyways) clearly agreed on that and Gragg made a statement afterward. But the whole gist of this message was a bit bizarre.

And, we have an early contender for most off-base post of the year. There is a reason we have a home-court advantage this year, and it’s due to the aggressiveness of the students. If you don’t get that, you may be too soft to root for this team. It’s shame you would focus on a handful of chants you disagree with, and not the vibrant, colorful, and enthusiastic nature of our home court.

(But…my sincere apologies if this is satire and I just missed it!)

Delete this thread. It is highly highly offensive!! Why re-traumatize us by even describing the chants? And then they went after Fran like real a-holes! How could they?? Losing all respect for this school 😅

We said much worse when I was in the student section 20 years ago. I’m just glad they’re engaged.

File this one under “lighten up, Francis”…

Reactions: mickbula and BFDCat
We said much worse when I was in the student section 20 years ago. I’m just glad they’re engaged.

File this one under “lighten up, Francis”…
Steve Alford tried to get me and my friends kicked out of a game due to what we were chanting at Pierre Pierce; believe me, there was no previous time where the student section was "nice".

We couldn’t get away with swearing because there were about 15 other people in the gym, but my buddies and I used to say much worse stuff at our D-3 games back in the day. Soft.

Reactions: AdamOnFirst

Didn't Gillis blow a 0.27? That is not just barely a DUI (0.08) but an irresponsible act seriously endangering everyone on the road. As far as Kopp, from what I heard, it sounded like he employed a scorched earth policy when he left deriding the school and the program. While it might have been better to have been more original, can't say that both parties did not deserve at least part of what they got.

The student section is new at this. They have had a couple really good ones such as tonight's "Where's your daddy" after Coach McCaffrey got the double tech and was ejected and his sons were on the court. Then "Just like Daddy" when one of the McCaffrey boys got his own technical. Hopefully they improve and get more original. And did not hear anything regarding going after McCaffrey for his MH issues

Sorry you are disgusted but it sort of goes with the territory and a heck of a lot better than no student enthusiasm. First time I can recall students giving us a real home court advantage

Last edited:
Reactions: NJcatsfan

Are you crazy. It’s been the best student support in the history of NU basketball. Go to a badminton game if you don’t like it.

Back when it was @NUera and me and 11 of our closest friends, my go-to was to repeatedly yell “you’re ugly” at someone on the opposing team. I thought it was hilarious.
Because you were looking in a mirror at the time?

Back when it was @NUera and me and 11 of our closest friends, my go-to was to repeatedly yell “you’re ugly” at someone on the opposing team. I thought it was hilarious.
Lol. And that was polite! My favorite was “ref, you’re not his dad - Quit trying to f*** him.” It always drew confused looks. I like to think my sense of humor was ahead of its time.

Didn't Gillis blow a 0.27? That is not just barely a DUI (0.08) but an irresponsible act seriously endangering everyone on the road. As far as Kopp, from what I heard, it sounded like he employed a scorched earth policy when he left deriding the school and the program. While it might have been better to have been more original, can't say that both parties did not deserve at least part of what they got.

The student section is new at this. They have had a couple really good ones such as tonight's "Where's your daddy" after Coach McCaffrey got the double tech and was ejected and his sons were on the court. Then "Just like Daddy" when one of the McCaffrey boys got his own technical. Hopefully they improve and get more original. And did not hear anything regarding going after McCaffrey for his MH issues

Sorry you are disgusted but it sort of goes with the territory and a heck of a lot better than no student enthusiasm. First time I can recall students giving us a real home court advantage
I think the student section should push the limits and the administration should chastise them if they push too far and the students (who are smart by the way) should be more creative, like they were tonight, and push the limits some more.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Lol. And that was polite! My favorite was “ref, you’re not his dad - Quit trying to f*** him.” It always drew confused looks. I like to think my sense of humor was ahead of its time.
Or way behind

Are you crazy. It’s been the best student support in the history of NU basketball. Go to a badminton game if you don’t like it.
Easy there, P-knight. Badminton crowds can get pretty risque. Those shuttlecock puns are quite the launching pad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT