ADVERTISEMENT

What will future offensive coaching structure look like?

BigCatCT

Oct 26, 2015
My guess is as follows:

- new OC
- new QB coach
- new receivers coach
- Retain Lou Ayeni as RB coach and recruiting leader.
- Anderson take over tight ends in addition to OL.

What do y’all think will happen?

Reactions: HappyNUyear
My guess is as follows:

- new OC
- new QB coach
- new receivers coach

Who knows

My guess is as follows:

- new OC
- new QB coach
- new receivers coach

Don't know what will happen, but I do not want Anderson taking over SBs in addition to OL. OL is hard enough to coach on its own, to say nothing of trying to juggle two separate position groups.

With the caveat that a new OC could well want some of "his guys," don't think Springer or Heffner are in a hurry to leave either.

Don't know what will happen, but I do not want Anderson taking over SBs in addition to OL. OL is hard enough to coach on its own, to say nothing of trying to juggle two separate position groups.

With the caveat that a new OC could well want some of "his guys," don't think Springer or Heffner are in a hurry to leave either.
How about do away with the SB thing and have Anderson coach the entire OL, including TE's. Wide receivers at NU have not been good since Springer arrived in 2011.

Reactions: HappyNUyear
How about do away with the SB thing and have Anderson coach the entire OL, including TE's. Wide receivers at NU have not been good since Springer arrived in 2011.

Because (1) calling it Tight End instead of Superback makes no difference and (2) TE/SB is completely different from OL.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
I would also like to see Jeremy Larkin retained at some capacity after he graduates this year. The way he stepped up after learning he can no longer play was admirable. It would be great to see his dedication to the team rewarded with a formal employment offer from NU.

I hope we see designated Run and Pass coordinators, just because that seems like fun.

Because (1) calling it Tight End instead of Superback makes no difference and (2) TE/SB is completely different from OL.

Anderson had a couple years experience coaching tight ends at Eastern Michigan prior to his role as run game coordinator which likely involved heavy involvement in tight ends.

it will be interesting to see how Fitz makes room to fix QB group.

The makeup of the offensive staff will depend on who is hired. Based on performance, Ayeni and Anderson will continue at their positions. Would agree that we may see new WR and QB coaches. Could see Genyk coach TE and special teams.
Would almost expect a separate QB coach. Based on Fitz’s statements about “the QB room”, he may want someone who is 100% working with the QBs (not the OC).

Reactions: corbi296
Anderson had a couple years experience coaching tight ends at Eastern Michigan prior to his role as run game coordinator which likely involved heavy involvement in tight ends.

it will be interesting to see how Fitz makes room to fix QB group.

He doesn't have to make room to fix the QB group. He just fired his QB coach.

My guess is as follows:

- new OC
- new QB coach
- new receivers coach

It will obviously depend on who the new OC is. If it is a guy like Rees who has QB/WR coaching experience, the coaching staff will differ from someone with a different background, say more of a RB focused guy. Springer is supposed to be a very good recruiter, so that has to be considered in any changes.

He doesn't have to make room to fix the QB group. He just fired his QB coach.

There is a limit to how many coaches you can have- NU was at the limit with McCall being OC/QB coach. if we want an OC and a separate QB coach which I think would be smart considering how important the QB role is then we need to downsize somewhere else.

There is a limit to how many coaches you can have- NU was at the limit with McCall being OC/QB coach. if we want an OC and a separate QB coach which I think would be smart considering how important the QB role is then we need to downsize somewhere else.

No shit.

...and it is pretty common for an OC to be QB coach.

My post was to consider and get input if fans think NU should consider a more progressive re-alignment of offensive coaching staff rather than simply replacing McCall with a new OC/QB coach.

Looking at current B1G coaching staffs I disagree that it is "common" to have a single coach fully responsible for both OC and QB group.

See below where B1G teams are sorted by offensive performance in 2019. I did this quick so can't guarantee 100% accuracy.

Of the teams in the top half of performance none had a coach fully responsible for offensive coordination and quarterbacks.

The two teams that most closely align to NU's current coaching structure are Lollinois and Butgers.

Further looking at top 4 BCS teams Clemson has co-offensive coordinators for pass and run, LSU has an OC and a Passing Game Coordinator, Georgia has PGC and RGC's.

It will be interesting to see what Fitz does. Cheers!

My post was to consider and get input if fans think NU should consider a more progressive re-alignment of offensive coaching staff rather than simply replacing McCall with a new OC/QB coach.

Looking at current B1G coaching staffs I disagree that it is "common" to have a single coach fully responsible for both OC and QB group.

See below where B1G teams are sorted by offensive performance in 2019. I did this quick so can't guarantee 100% accuracy.

Of the teams in the top half of performance none had a coach fully responsible for offensive coordination and quarterbacks.

The two teams that most closely align to NU's current coaching structure are Lollinois and Butgers.

Further looking at top 4 BCS teams Clemson has co-offensive coordinators for pass and run, LSU has an OC and a Passing Game Coordinator, Georgia has PGC and RGC's.

Solid true facts. Thanks for them. I hope that ‘everything is on the table’ for our new offensive leader, and that he gets free rein to build the structure that makes the most sense. As I said elsewhere, I’d love a high-level PGC or RGC to take over as NU’s OC, and I’d imagine that person would intend to bring a similar structure along.

Do they really need a Superbacks coach???

So what positions were eliminated to account for the extra offensive coach?

So what positions were eliminated to account for the extra offensive coach?

It varies on how they share the responsibility for coordination of the offense.

Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Minnesota, and Indiana all have a position coach who is also a passing game coordinator and/or run game coordinator in addition to offensive coordinator.

Purdue and Maryland have co-offensive coordinators.

Nebraska and Michigan the OC is also WR coach leaving room for a dedicated QB coach.

I believe only Illinois and Rutgers have a combined OC/QB coach w/o some type of co-coordinator or PGC/RGC.

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
While I do not cherish the thought of being lumped in the same category as Illinois and Rutgers, I take it on faith that our head coach knows how he wants to structure the roles and responsibilities of his direct reports, and does so for optimal performance.

That said, I hope we start to score some effing points next year.

While I do not cherish the thought of being lumped in the same category as Illinois and Rutgers, I take it on faith that our head coach knows how he wants to structure the roles and responsibilities of his direct reports, and does so for optimal performance.

That said, I hope we start to score some effing points next year.

Totally agree on both accounts. Just fun guessing how things might shake out.

ESPN had an interesting story today on OSU in part discussing key offensive coaching changes.

"Day instantly made the offense better when he was hired as co-offensive coordinator before the 2017 season, and he was instrumental in guiding quarterback Dwayne Haskins to his record-setting 50-touchdown season in 2018.

Integral once again to this offense in 2019, Day brought in Mike Yurcich as passing game coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Under Day and Yurcich, first-year starter Justin Fields has the second-most touchdown passes in a season in Ohio State history, behind only Haskins' total.

So Wilson is OSU OC/TE coach and Yurcich is PGC/QB. They also have Alford as Assistant HC For Offense/RB.

Given that NU finished 4th rushing and dead last passing I could see Fitz doing something similar to OSU by bringing in the new OC with TE responsibility where he then brings in two replacement coaches responsible for combination of QB/WR/PGC. Then elevate Ayeni to Associate HC/RB/Recruiting coordinator and Anderson to OL/RGC.

If the goal is truly championships then go big or go home

I really do like our ability to run the ball, even with a stable of good backs who are not necessarily blue chip types that hit home runs (guys like Master Teague, for example). I think the ball control offense compliments our defense, as well as our ability to avoid penalties (we lost some of that mojo this year after several years of being among the least penalized teams in FBS).

I hope we continue to have this nice thing. I really enjoyed watching us run right through Illinois. And this should help the passing game if we can improve our acumen there. Jeez, once you draw 8 defenders into the box, you should be able to make them pay. We could not do that last year as teams figured out our passing game was anemic, especially beyond 10 yards. Find a way to threaten the deeper secondary.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed watching us run right through Illinois.

I enjoyed that a lot too. After he replaced Wiederkehr at right tackle, Stovall was a beast. That line dominated LOLinois. That'll be an interesting position battle next year, throw in Vogel and some of the younger guys into the competition and sit back and enjoy.

Man, my head is spinning from titles and organizational nuances for how the same number of people are subdivided. At the end of the day, as in any organization, it comes down to how people get along and how they fit together. I may get a lot of kickback, but my guess is the offensive horse for OSU is Kevin Wilson. Everyone else is complimentary.

Well, a Superback is sort of a tight end & full back hybrid.

IMO, there’s a reason 99.9% of teams have tight ends and fullbacks and only 0.01% have super backs... Because each one requires different skills and body types.

I too would like to see the super back position retired.

Reactions: Bwm57 and DaCat
For what it’s worth, Rivals’ list of top fullbacks in the 2019 class is one player long.

Jax Dineen is a true hero.

Reactions: drewjin
Well, a Superback is sort of a tight end & full back hybrid.

IMO, there’s a reason 99.9% of teams have tight ends and fullbacks and only 0.01% have super backs... Because each one requires different skills and body types.

I too would like to see the super back position retired.

“Superback” is essentially “the room where all the tight end and fullback types meet.” Literally makes no difference.

“Superback” is essentially “the room where all the tight end and fullback types meet.” Literally makes no difference.

Again, putting full backs and tight ends together in the same room makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

It literally makes a huge difference.

Again, putting full backs and tight ends together in the same room makes as much sense as a screen door on a submarine.

It literally makes a huge difference.

Except we don’t really have fullbacks in a spread, nor do other spread teams. It’s essentially just tight ends with a different name.

Frist Fitz must identify the type of offense hje wanrs to run.Thjen pick a coach for that offense. In my view the spread is not the way to go. We have not been able to get the deep treath receiverds needed to make it successful.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT