ADVERTISEMENT

What you need to know about Tennessee fans

GlideCat

Jan 19, 2013
As most of you know, I make my home in Tennessee. For the next few weeks, you are about to enter my nightmare. Some recommendations and things you should know about interacting with UT fans is as follows:

1. Most UT fans did not attend the university. An amazing number have never even been there. But they consider themselves rabid diehard fans. Until the team loses two games in a row. Then they turn on the coaches, the school, the team, and the individual players. Take the worst of the posters on this board, make it worse by a factor of 10, and then multiply by thousands of fans.
2. Like many similar teams with schools attached, these fans tend to be the ones that say boys-will-be-boys when player arrests become rampant - no matter what the charge. And get mad at the university for suspending players and would storm the gates if a star player were kicked off the team for being convicted of a major crime. Ask them about APR and they will look quizzically at you. Once you explain what it is, they will tell you that such things are for sissy schools.
3. If a Tennessee fan posts anything about "team speed," go ahead and put them on ignore. That is the mantra of the uneducated SEC fan. That means that they know nothing about the relative teams and know little about football but have heard the talking heads on television use that phrase a lot. So they must have it and whoever they play must not.
4. Uneducated SEC fans never watch teams outside of the SEC and never put any effort into learning anything about them. They just know that all other conferences are slow and inferior.
5. The fans that you meet at the game are people that will actually put effort and money into supporting their team. Enjoy them. They are the best of the best. The posters here will be a mixed bag. Some good. Some bad. The bad ones will make you look fondly on the Cal fans.
6. If a UT fan asks for your address, don't give it. They just want to be able to mail dog feces to you if NU wins.

You were warned.

Thanks. Ready for the onslaught....until we win.
Then it gets worse. The whining could break glass. Their coaches need to be fired. The refs are all against them. We cheated. The conference cheated. The grass was too tall or too short. They had turf toe. It is horrendous.

Then the great ones... (these are for real)

The first half was the real game, the second half was the fluke. This was after a Florida game where UT led at the half but Florida dominated the second half.

The second half was the real game and the first half was a fluke. This was the following year against Florida after Florida got way ahead and UT scored some garbage touchdowns in the second half.

I know better about what happened in the game because I was at the game and could see the whole field.

I know better about what happened because I was watching on television and could see the close-ups and replays.

A good coach would have won five national championships by now. (On being questioned concerning why Phil Fulmer was a terrible coach two years after winning the National Championship.)

I have thousands of these.

Then it gets worse. The whining could break glass. Their coaches need to be fired. The refs are all against them. We cheated. The conference cheated. The grass was too tall or too short. They had turf toe. It is horrendous.

Then the great ones... (these are for real)

The first half was the real game, the second half was the fluke. This was after a Florida game where UT led at the half but Florida dominated the second half.

The second half was the real game and the first half was a fluke. This was the following year against Florida after Florida got way ahead and UT scored some garbage touchdowns in the second half.

I know better about what happened in the game because I was at the game and could see the whole field.

I know better about what happened because I was watching on television and could see the close-ups and replays.

A good coach would have won five national championships by now. (On being questioned concerning why Phil Fulmer was a terrible coach two years after winning the National Championship.)

I have thousands of these.
The Iowa fans in Jacksonville last year loved us. We invited a crowd of them to our tailgate and shared our food and drink. Their most famous fan, Hawkeye Elvis, even stopped by.

Of course they were good people and not a whiny little girl like you.

The Iowa fans in Jacksonville last year loved us. We invited a crowd of them to our tailgate and shared our food and drink. Their most famous fan, Hawkeye Elvis, even stopped by.

See Item #5 in the original post.

As most of you know, I make my home in Tennessee. For the next few weeks, you are about to enter my nightmare. Some recommendations and things you should know about interacting with UT fans is as follows:

1. Most UT fans did not attend the university. An amazing number have never even been there. But they consider themselves rabid diehard fans. Until the team loses two games in a row. Then they turn on the coaches, the school, the team, and the individual players. Take the worst of the posters on this board, make it worse by a factor of 10, and then multiply by thousands of fans.
2. Like many similar teams with schools attached, these fans tend to be the ones that say boys-will-be-boys when player arrests become rampant - no matter what the charge. And get mad at the university for suspending players and would storm the gates if a star player were kicked off the team for being convicted of a major crime. Ask them about APR and they will look quizzically at you. Once you explain what it is, they will tell you that such things are for sissy schools.
3. If a Tennessee fan posts anything about "team speed," go ahead and put them on ignore. That is the mantra of the uneducated SEC fan. That means that they know nothing about the relative teams and know little about football but have heard the talking heads on television use that phrase a lot. So they must have it and whoever they play must not.
4. Uneducated SEC fans never watch teams outside of the SEC and never put any effort into learning anything about them. They just know that all other conferences are slow and inferior.
5. The fans that you meet at the game are people that will actually put effort and money into supporting their team. Enjoy them. They are the best of the best. The posters here will be a mixed bag. Some good. Some bad. The bad ones will make you look fondly on the Cal fans.
6. If a UT fan asks for your address, don't give it. They just want to be able to mail dog feces to you if NU wins.

You were warned.

Thanks. I guess? I'm a Tennessee fan/alum that was surprised to see I have viewing/posting privileges over on this board.

We have some bad fans but no worse than your typical message board trolls you find with any national brand name program.

SEC bias for sure... But let's be honest. There is a bit of conference homerism in the Big Ten. I think we got a a chip on our shoulders after about 15 years of ESPN and Big Ten fans lecturing us about smashmouth fooball.

SEC is down this year but I think still pretty strong. I'll put it this way... Iowa ain't undefeated if they are in the SEC.

Team speed... I think that is a fair expectation on your end. To be fair, we did perceive Iowa to be incredibly slow last year. Our guys have some wheels but I certainly don't expect anything but a great game from your Wildcats.

Looking forward to it.

And, even as an alumnus, I've always found the "fans that didn't attend the university angle" to be a little snobby. We hear that from Vandy fans. Or that their alumni are nationally distributed which prevents them from drawing more than 23k to their home games :)

Well, I guess we can't fill 105,000 seats if we only invite alumni to the game.

From what I've seen on twitter so far, it's not going to be a pretty build up to this game.

Thanks. I guess? I'm a Tennessee fan/alum that was surprised to see I have viewing/posting privileges over on this board.

We have some bad fans but no worse than your typical message board trolls you find with any national brand name program.

SEC bias for sure... But let's be honest. There is a bit of conference homerism in the Big Ten. I think we got a a chip on our shoulders after about 15 years of ESPN and Big Ten fans lecturing us about smashmouth fooball.

SEC is down this year but I think still pretty strong. I'll put it this way... Iowa ain't undefeated if they are in the SEC.

Team speed... I think that is a fair expectation on your end. To be fair, we did perceive Iowa to be incredibly slow last year. Our guys have some wheels but I certainly don't expect anything but a great game from your Wildcats.

Looking forward to it.
If Iowa had the SEC version of the B1G schedule that they had, they might have a shot. That would mean playing in the East Division and having crossover games against only the weakest members of the West. Y'all should have won the East going away. You are clearly the best team in the division which is why I wanted to play Florida.

I am old enough to remember the pro-Big 10 bias from years ago and understand the chip the SEC had on their shoulder about it. But it has been reversed for a long time now and we now have the chip.

Iowa is still a slow team. This year, they are incredibly disciplined and well coached. Last year, they were not. Northwestern is a fast team. But we are small. We were much faster than Iowa but just could not stop them running right at us. That is why on another thread I said that I hope your coaches try to beat us on speed with a lot of wide running plays. That will put you behind the sticks after first down. I am more worried about you running between the tackles and mixing in some play action and quarterback runs (especially the quarterback runs).

Being from Tennessee and making my home there, I have a lot of fun with UT fans. It spices up my life.

Reactions: OrangeSherBurt

Well, duh. The Kings always loved their minstrels. You will provide us enjoyment for a while. And we will appreciate your clown show for what it is. Then you will be gone - and we will go back to being us, and unfortunately for you, you will go back to being you.

And, even as an alumnus, I've always found the "fans that didn't attend the university angle" to be a little snobby. We hear that from Vandy fans. Or that their alumni are nationally distributed which prevents them from drawing more than 23k to their home games :)

Snobby, possibly. NU fans get that a lot. But it is also accurate. There is a much different perspective of fans that have no tie to a school except supporting the football team versus those fans that have a diploma on the wall that ties their professional reputation with the reputation of the school as a whole.

The alumni fans are more prone to worry about graduation rates, cheating scandals, and made-up degrees. While the geographical fans view the team as basically similar to a minor league pro team.

Snobby? Maybe. True? I think so.

My most direct experience with UT fans was as a Cal season ticket holder. Cal and UT played home and home in 2006 and 2007. In Knoxville 2006 UT jumped out early and won pretty decisively, with Cal turning the ball over a lot. In 2007 a very large contingent came to Berkeley (similar in size to the NU crowd a few years ago). They were relentless in advance of the game in talking on message boards about SEC speeeeeeeed and the general weirdness of UC Berkeley, an institution I owe my retirement to. Cal came out and dominated the first half, put 45 points on the board and won by 2 touchdowns. Listening to the gripes and complaints walking back through campus to BART was a moment of true pleasure. There was a true inability to understand that teams outside the SEC had speed, Cal had DeSean Jackson, Jahvid Best and Justin Forsett that year, and yet they could not acknowledge that anyone outside their little world had football ability. Jackson ran back a punt for a TD. I hope either Vault on a kickoff or Schuler on a punt can do the same in the Outback.

Well, duh. The Kings always loved their minstrels. You will provide us enjoyment for a while. And we will appreciate your clown show for what it is. Then you will be gone - and we will go back to being us, and unfortunately for you, you will go back to being you.
Mr. Stupor? The name seems to fit well.

Kings? Well, we were going to party with the "kings" after the game. Except they all left early. I guess getting blown out takes the fun out of the minstrel show.

Game starts at noon. You'll be your way to the bar by 2:30 PM.

Reactions: parkdogg
My most direct experience with UT fans was as a Cal season ticket holder. Cal and UT played home and home in 2006 and 2007. In Knoxville 2006 UT jumped out early and won pretty decisively, with Cal turning the ball over a lot. In 2007 a very large contingent came to Berkeley (similar in size to the NU crowd a few years ago). They were relentless in advance of the game in talking on message boards about SEC speeeeeeeed and the general weirdness of UC Berkeley, an institution I owe my retirement to. Cal came out and dominated the first half, put 45 points on the board and won by 2 touchdowns. Listening to the gripes and complaints walking back through campus to BART was a moment of true pleasure. There was a true inability to understand that teams outside the SEC had speed, Cal had DeSean Jackson, Jahvid Best and Justin Forsett that year, and yet they could not acknowledge that anyone outside their little world had football ability. Jackson ran back a punt for a TD. I hope either Vault on a kickoff or Schuler on a punt can do the same in the Outback.
I was at the Cal game in Knoxville. I was at UT 1996-2000 and that is easily my favorite post graduation.

Easy on the weirdness angle. Cal is super weird and is that way on purpose. There were dudes in the trees protesting while we were there.

The speed paranoia by Big Ten fans is manufactured. SEC fans do assume we are faster in some matchups, not in others.

Went to Oregon to watch them boat race us and trust me, we expected them to be faster than us before got there. Got treated like kings though. Oregon fans are the best.

Reactions: duzen
The OP is pandering to stereotypes regarding the south. Much of what he says is pretty crazy, but I must say that I, like many, am a Tennessee fan without having attended. I grew up in Chattanooga for most of my formative years and, unlike Northwestern, we are talking about the University of Tennessee. Most people will understand that there is regional pride associated with state University that extends beyond its graduates. Such is not normally the case with a school such as Northwestern. Teams like Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, etc enjoy similar regional or state support as does the Big Orange.

With respect to your comments, it seems that you have traveled the state and canvased the opinions of many fans and non-fans to established your opinion about an amazing number that have never even been there. You, sir, are a veritable wellspring of information from whom we would all be well-served to know. Sure you must work for the Nielsen ratings service or have been the mastermind of your own.

Your entire paragraph #2 is absurdly off-base. The basic assertion is that arrests have been running rampant in the program and you continue the absurdity by suggesting that fans don't know about APR in another area. On both counts you are showing your lack of understanding of the program. It is no secret that Butch Jones put a bonus for APR results in his contract and you might want to do some research into how Tennessee is performing in that regard under Jones' leadership. If you bother to do so, you will find that the GPA for the program is climbing close to a 3.0 and his recruiting classes are doing great.

In his three years on campus tell us how many arrests there have been in the football program that are so rampant? A player who played last year has an unresolved case against him, but who are the others who have been arrested? I suspect that the number is far less than the general student population, which may well be the case with many Universities. Regardless, nobody gets mad when a star player gets kicked off the team for poor behavior..which has happened maybe twice since Jones has been here and they weren't players he recruited.

To you good Northwestern fans, I say welcome to the game and I will say that there are many SEC fans who think the SEC is the best conference. The past years since 1998 have shown the SEC is pretty strong and has dominated the landscape. However, it is foolish for some fans just to assume that the Vols will roll over Northwestern. As a former collegiate athlete who ran the 400 hurdles in college (I beat everyone that both Tennessee and Northwestern had) I know that one should always respect their opponent. Last year Iowa talked smack and tried to intimidate Tennessee at every opportunity and it didn't go so well for them. The same would happen to Tennessee if the players didn't respect Northwestern.

Interesting how the OP tried to cover his tracks by saying that the people at the bowl game would not be like the people he presented in his post...because he knows his post is a joke and he will look like a fool in Tampa.

Go Vols!

We are "Chicago's Big Ten Team." Of course, everyone in Chicago went to Northwestern.

The OP is pandering to stereotypes regarding the south. Much of what he says is pretty crazy, but I must say that I, like many, am a Tennessee fan without having attended. I grew up in Chattanooga for most of my formative years and, unlike Northwestern, we are talking about the University of Tennessee. Most people will understand that there is regional pride associated with state University that extends beyond its graduates. Such is not normally the case with a school such as Northwestern. Teams like Ohio State, Iowa, Nebraska, etc enjoy similar regional or state support as does the Big Orange.

With respect to your comments, it seems that you have traveled the state and canvased the opinions of many fans and non-fans to established your opinion about an amazing number that have never even been there. You, sir, are a veritable wellspring of information from whom we would all be well-served to know. Sure you must work for the Nielsen ratings service or have been the mastermind of your own.

Your entire paragraph #2 is absurdly off-base. The basic assertion is that arrests have been running rampant in the program and you continue the absurdity by suggesting that fans don't know about APR in another area. On both counts you are showing your lack of understanding of the program. It is no secret that Butch Jones put a bonus for APR results in his contract and you might want to do some research into how Tennessee is performing in that regard under Jones' leadership. If you bother to do so, you will find that the GPA for the program is climbing close to a 3.0 and his recruiting classes are doing great.

In his three years on campus tell us how many arrests there have been in the football program that are so rampant? A player who played last year has an unresolved case against him, but who are the others who have been arrested? I suspect that the number is far less than the general student population, which may well be the case with many Universities. Regardless, nobody gets mad when a star player gets kicked off the team for poor behavior..which has happened maybe twice since Jones has been here and they weren't players he recruited.

To you good Northwestern fans, I say welcome to the game and I will say that there are many SEC fans who think the SEC is the best conference. The past years since 1998 have shown the SEC is pretty strong and has dominated the landscape. However, it is foolish for some fans just to assume that the Vols will roll over Northwestern. As a former collegiate athlete who ran the 400 hurdles in college (I beat everyone that both Tennessee and Northwestern had) I know that one should always respect their opponent. Last year Iowa talked smack and tried to intimidate Tennessee at every opportunity and it didn't go so well for them. The same would happen to Tennessee if the players didn't respect Northwestern.

Interesting how the OP tried to cover his tracks by saying that the people at the bowl game would not be like the people he presented in his post...because he knows his post is a joke and he will look like a fool in Tampa.

Go Vols!
this is a pretty solid post, except the part about beating the NU hurdlers-- we have no men's track and field team and haven't in forever.

Go Vols!
I'm a troll on my own board. How cool is that?!!!

Oddly, I have canvassed the State from end to end from my home in Nashville. Everything that I have posted in this thread are personal observations and direct quotes. I have culled them from literally (the real use of the word) hundreds of things I have seen and heard.

That being said, there was nothing in any of my posts bashing the school, the program, or the coaches. Butch Jones is top notch and I hate the fact that I cannot hate him. Can y'all bring back Lane Kiffin, please? That was a glorious year for UT haters. My posts are aimed solely at the UT fanbase. The ones that started turning on Phil Fulmer two years after he won the NC. The ones that were dropping hints that maybe it was time for Jones to go at the beginning of this season. The ones that mailed dog feces to ESPN because they refused to give Peyton the Heisman halfway through the year..

Yes, my post is replete with stereotypes about UT fans. But how did they become stereotypes?

I ran track in 1977. At National Championships I didn't see any Northwestern guys there, so I guess I could have been a bit off base there. I went to Furman and my son went to Georgia Tech. My apologies, but it has been forever since I was competing...did NW have a track team then?

Stereotypes come from everywhere. When my dad was transferred back up to Minnesota ( 3M moved us back there after my freshman year in college) I had a girl operating the computer at a summer job ask if people in the South were slower than people in the North. When I immediately responded in the affirmative and that I had friends who didn't learn how to walk until they were 9 or 10 they absolutely believed me. I guess watching too many Beverly Hillbilly episodes had taken their toll on the poor girl. In 1974 one would think that a certain amount of intelligence would accrue to someone who was operating a computer at that time.

BTW, I did gracefully let he know it was a joke.

You were warned.
Go read Aaron Morse's Twitter feed. They're bat$hit crazy.

Did a check on NU track & field. Looks like you only have a women's team now. Title 9 killed a lot of the men's teams like track.

I ran track in 1977. At National Championships I didn't see any Northwestern guys there, so I guess I could have been a bit off base there. I went to Furman and my son went to Georgia Tech. My apologies, but it has been forever since I was competing...did NW have a track team then?
I don't believe so. And I must warn you that the proper abbreviation for Northwestern is "NU", or you will incur the wrath of everyone.

Did a check on NU track & field. Looks like you only have a women's team now. Title 9 killed a lot of the men's teams like track.
Pretty sure we only have a women's cross country team currently. And, yes, it is Title IX related.

Love the post Doc. I guess you can lay claim to being the University of Chicago? Nice to see a sense of humor here.

Actually, I have never posted on another Rivals site other than Tennessee's. I just visited to see what you guys were thinking about the game. If you go to the UT site you will find many who think the Vols will roll because they are in the SEC. What can I say other than there's no accounting for about 10% of the fan base, but that is pretty much the case everywhere.

Love the post Doc. I guess you can lay claim to being the University of Chicago? Nice to see a sense of humor here.

Actually, I have never posted on another Rivals site other than Tennessee's. I just visited to see what you guys were thinking about the game. If you go to the UT site you will find many who think the Vols will roll because they are in the SEC. What can I say other than there's no accounting for about 10% of the fan base, but that is pretty much the case everywhere.

NU is "Chicago's BIG TEN Team. You do know that the Univ of Chicago is Not in the Big Ten.

Reactions: aurorabimmer
Stereotypes come from everywhere. When my dad was transferred back up to Minnesota ( 3M moved us back there after my freshman year in college) I had a girl operating the computer at a summer job ask if people in the South were slower than people in the North. When I immediately responded in the affirmative and that I had friends who didn't learn how to walk until they were 9 or 10 they absolutely believed me. I guess watching too many Beverly Hillbilly episodes had taken their toll on the poor girl. In 1974 one would think that a certain amount of intelligence would accrue to someone who was operating a computer at that time.

Darn. You are going to be a decent, reasonable poster. I need more UT fans with obscene and silly posts like that twitter from earlier today to bolster my position. You're not helping. ;)

NU is "Chicago's BIG TEN Team. You do know that the Univ of Chicago is Not in the Big Ten.
Of course he knows. It's humor. And of course The University of Chicago was a charter member of the Big Ten Conference. The best part of the campus tour (when my kids were looking at the U of C) was seeing the very first Heisman Trophy won by Jay Berwanger which is still on display there. Go Maroons!

Go Vols!
Of course he knows. It's humor. And of course The University of Chicago was a charter member of the Big Ten Conference. The best part of the campus tour (when my kids were looking at the U of C) was seeing the very first Heisman Trophy won by Jay Berwanger which is still on display there. Go Maroons!

I thought he figured that the Maroons were in the B10 when he was "hurdling".

What sort of inferiority complex compels you to blather on and on about your life story? Are you that insecure in who you are that you can't stop yourself from self-aggrandizement - and over the Internet, of all places?

Perhaps with a few weeks of dedicated counseling, you might be OK by game time. I suggest you leave here pronto and get into whatever program you can get into on such short notice. You don't have much time.

Geez, doc. Can't you tell sarcasm when you read it?

Enough of this drivel. Are the Tennessee women hot? (The ones with teeth.)
Bad news on this front. The "team speed" stuff about the SEC is a myth. The fact that young SEC women are - on average - amazingly attractive is truth. Oxford, Mississippi is astounding. Of course, my wife is a Southern woman and I am therefore biased.

You were warned.

You sir are as ignorant as one can be for you to spend your time typing this drivel.

First, name one player, aside from the VERY visible, VERY public AJ Johnson scandal, that has been in any trouble under Butch Jones.

2. APR? Maybe you should be on everybody's ignore because under BJ the APR has been extremely impressive.

3. Would it stand to reason that since 1998 and the BCS era the SEC has won 10 titles. Would that make the conference superior? Probably not in your opinion. I digress, you're educated, and all us ignorant hillbillies should just be quiet.

4. Anybody who would mail animal feces regardless of team affiliation should be slapped in the faces with said feces.

In conclusion, you should winter a little further south and leave the great state of Tennessee in your rear view. On second thought, what little taxes this state charges are needed from yanks like yourself who feel like people in this great state are less than yourself. The truth remains, your stereotypical views are ignorant and usually exposed pretty easily.

Hope that NW degree has gotten you everything you've needed and wanted in life, because you are obviously a shitty person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT