ADVERTISEMENT

Which Big Ten team / fan base do you dislike the most?

Which B1G team / fanbase do you dislike the most?

• OSU

• Michigan

• Iowa

• Illinois

• PSU

• Minnesota

• Indiana

• Purdue

• Michigan State

• Other (USC? UCLA? Oregon? Maryland? Rutgers?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
@EvanstonCat got me thinking.

Which opposing Big Ten team / fanbase do you dislike the most? (The schools are listed as they came to mind, but I’ll admit that I listed OSU first to avoid a stinkbomb in the mail from ECat).

I wanted to include Notre Dame… but then how do you exclude Duke, Miami (OH), or our other traditional/historical rivals? Let’s keep it simple.

I wanted to include Notre Dame… but then how do you exclude Duke, Miami (OH), or our other traditional/historical rivals?
Duke is a faux rivalry. It's like nobody else wants to play our teams so we set up this pretend rivalry. It's not because I'm sick of losing to them. I just don't care. We have played them more than Penn State. Think about that

Reactions: cattul and rmndcat
Are there ever Duke fans that show up to the board?

None since transfer Michael Thompson, the former MT1, I presume.

I view Iowa as our biggest rivalry and therefore dislike them most.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
A list of why ScUM is my most hated:

The arrogance of the fans “Michigan is the best” and they didn’t wanna hear anything else. Even academically.
They flex their academic standards like crazy for basketball and football.
Their colors are god awful. Urine yellow and blue.
Fight song is the most annoying I’ve heard yet people have it set as their ringtones🤮.
Head coach slaps people.
The east side of the state is just ugly.
Biggest claim to fame in both basketball and football is cheating
Their football stadium is a big hole in the ground
Their old football coach yanks scholarships from kids last minute.
Ann Arbor is almost as arrogant as scUM fans.
Anyone who lives around them ends up hating them. The worst fan base in sports.
I have family who works in academia there and they hate the culture of the school as well.
Every scUM alum on TV displays so much homerism.
The fact that scUM alums view every other degree as inferior when talking about where they attended school.

I live in AA

Most people there are supportive of NU snd what we are. When I root for Cats at games people treat me appropriately. Some even have us as their second favorite team.
The Buckeyes? Very different.
People throw things at you when NU fans walking down street with our logo before games….. no comparison to UM.

And academically. UM is good; second to NU in the B1G. So they have right to be proud.

@EvanstonCat got me thinking.

Which opposing Big Ten team / fanbase do you dislike the most? (The schools are listed as they came to mind, but I’ll admit that I listed OSU first to avoid a stinkbomb in the mail from ECat).

I wanted to include Notre Dame… but then how do you exclude Duke, Miami (OH), or our other traditional/historical rivals? Let’s keep it simple.
USC and it's not really close.

I voted for Illinois by mistake. Should have said OSU with Illinois second.
This is noted, and fortunately shouldn’t impact the end results too much.

OSU is the runaway “winner” so far, with Illannoy a distant fourth.

Penn State, if you lived in PA like me, you know...
The fans aren't as annoying to me as the media worship of the program in Pa. You expect Penn State to get the most coverage in Pa., but the local TV media around Harrisburg and elsewhere don't even give the scores of D2 and D3 football programs in the area, let alone cover them. The football coach at my alma mater doesn't do press conferences because nobody comes.

Reactions: No Chores
I must say the results of the poll are disheartening. Less than half of the respondents provided the correct answer. I can only assume they were like NoChores and thought the question was so inane and obvious that they chose their second most hated school.

This is noted, and fortunately shouldn’t impact the end results too much.

OSU is the runaway “winner” so far, with Illannoy a distant fourth.
Why this surprises you or anyone else I really don’t understand. What is surprising and really I find more than a bit upsetting is that over half of the respondents incorrectly answered the question.

More edumacation on this critical matter is apparently is needed.

The fans aren't as annoying to me as the media worship of the program in Pa. You expect Penn State to get the most coverage in Pa., but the local TV media around Harrisburg and elsewhere don't even give the scores of D2 and D3 football programs in the area, let alone cover them. The football coach at my alma mater doesn't do press conferences because nobody comes.
I'm in Lancaster and its the worst. The "We Are" the "we are better than you" I cannot stand it. Most annoying fanbase in the Big Ten.

I'm in Lancaster and its the worst. The "We Are" the "we are better than you" I cannot stand it. Most annoying fanbase in the Big Ten.
Oddly enough, I had never been to Sad Valley until the Anthony Walker coming-out party in 2014. This was a couple of years after the Sandusky crimes were uncovered, and I expected the worst. They were so damned NICE, I couldn't believe it. Then we destroyed them, and I figured they would be full of venom. Nope. They wished us well, said we had a good team, hoped we had a good time. I was dumbstruck.

A list of why ScUM is my most hated:

The arrogance of the fans “Michigan is the best” and they didn’t wanna hear anything else. Even academically.
They flex their academic standards like crazy for basketball and football.
Their colors are god awful. Urine yellow and blue.
Fight song is the most annoying I’ve heard yet people have it set as their ringtones🤮.
Head coach slaps people.
The east side of the state is just ugly.
Biggest claim to fame in both basketball and football is cheating
Their football stadium is a big hole in the ground
Their old football coach yanks scholarships from kids last minute.
Ann Arbor is almost as arrogant as scUM fans.
Anyone who lives around them ends up hating them. The worst fan base in sports.
I have family who works in academia there and they hate the culture of the school as well.
Every scUM alum on TV displays so much homerism.
The fact that scUM alums view every other degree as inferior when talking about where they attended school.
It is funny when starting to have a conversation with a UM fan when they don't know where I went to school. You can tell they are going to try to say the Michigan degree is better than wherever I went to school. Then I lay down the Northwestern card, and it takes the wind out of their sails pretty quick.

I really hate Illinois, but my wife (an MSU grad) would agree with everything you said above, even the part about their urine yellow and blue colors.

Reactions: ThatkidfromHolland
It is funny when starting to have a conversation with a UM fan when they don't know where I went to school. You can tell they are going to try to say the Michigan degree is better than wherever I went to school. Then I lay down the Northwestern card, and it takes the wind out of their sails pretty quick.

I really hate Illinois, but my wife (an MSU grad) would agree with everything you said above, even the part about their urine yellow and blue colors.
This is a very easy conversation. OSU wins the most hated prize in a runaway. I would give the silver to Iowa and the bronze to Penn State

‘My’ Maroons are 4-0 in football against Notre Dame, and the Domers are always grateful to be reminded of this fact 😎.
Well, after Enrico Fermi nuked Stagg Field, the Domers weren't really able to have another go.

I must say the results of the poll are disheartening. Less than half of the respondents provided the correct answer. I can only assume they were like NoChores and thought the question was so inane and obvious that they chose their second most hated school.
I understand the OSU hatred, but I have no doubt in my selection of USC. USC fans are like borish OSU fans who think they went to Stanford.

We can both root for meteor when they play each other in the new scheme of things.

Ohio State fans are the worst and the dumbest as well. As some of you that have followed some of my rants over the past few seasons my late uncle was Earle Bruce, the late ex OSU head football coach. My family drove the previous night of the 1986 Big Game down in Columbus from our home in Allen Park, MI. All 5 of us were decked out in scarlet and grey and some douche teenagers gave my dad the finger just because we had Michigan plates> My dad was pissed, while everyone else in the mini van was like WTF. OSU fans can be totally unhinged to say the least!!

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Penn State, if you lived in PA like me, you know...
I lived in Maryland and I know how Penn State fans can be. My high school geometry teacher was a Penn State graduate and the year they lost to Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl he was furious to the point that the loss was an affront to God himself.

Reactions: JordanTClark1
Ohio State fans are the worst and the dumbest as well. As some of you that have followed some of my rants over the past few seasons my late uncle was Earle Bruce, the late ex OSU head football coach. My family drove the previous night of the 1986 Big Game down in Columbus from our home in Allen Park, MI. All 5 of us were decked out in scarlet and grey and some douche teenagers gave my dad the finger just because we had Michigan plates> My dad was pissed, while everyone else in the mini van was like WTF. OSU fans can be totally unhinged to say the least!!
OSU fans are very intelligent. They likely thought you were Michigan spies in OSU gear.

and some douche teenagers gave my dad the finger just because we had Michigan plates> My dad was pissed, while everyone else in the mini van was like WTF. OSU fans can be totally unhinged to say the least!!

When OSU hosted Texas in 2005, it was, (according to many I’ve spoken to) the nadir of OSU fan behavior. One of the UT fan sites described it as a collection of “the 95,000 people you know that are most likely to key a car”

Following the game, the Columbus Police Department convened a meeting with OSU’s President to inform her that they had reached the breaking point and that the University had to start taking concrete steps to reign in the drunken behavior. The following year (and before these things were cast in stone), ABC was salivating at the possibility of Michigan/OSU (1 vs 2) being played in prime time. I’m told (but can’t verify obviously) that Columbus PD told OSU they’d be on their own for crowd control if they agreed. (The game was played at 3:30 ET). Mind you, this was when the B10 finished the season the weekend prior to Thanksgiving instead of after, so students were on campus and the pregame scene for the game literally started 24 hours prior to kickoff. Now that it’s Thanksgiving weekend, most of the starch has been removed, even in 2022 (3vs2) and basically, it was assumed, (incorrectly it turned out) an elimination game for the playoff, it was pretty sedate atmosphere pregame according to people I knew who attended.

I laughed at your Dad getting pissed over “the finger”. Some might say, he did really well if that was the worst he got, Back in the day, US23 (highway between Ann Arbor and CBus) was like driving on a highway with military vehicles. No one with a Michigan plate would drive a single mph over the speed limit because it was lined with state and county law enforcement itching to write traffic citations.

• Wow
Reactions: CatManTrue
@GatoLouco should GITT and explain his Indiana vote.

It’s an interesting one and likely due to basketball moreso than football.

@GatoLouco should GITT and explain his Indiana vote.

It’s an interesting one and likely due to basketball moreso than football.
Driven by geography and the fact I don't care much for football.

IU fans believe their program to be God's gift to basketball. And Bobby Knight was a gigantic a-hole that triggers my (inferior to IU fans) brain. Purdue fans are annoying as hell, but they are not remotely as condescending.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Driven by geography and the fact I don't care much for football.

IU fans believe their program to be God's gift to basketball. And Bobby Knight was a gigantic a-hole that triggers my (inferior to IU fans) brain. Purdue fans are annoying as hell, but they are not remotely as condescending.
Good point. I answered the poll based on football (OSU fans are the worst, IMO). But in basketball, I would have to agree that IU fans are the worst in the Big Ten.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Good point. I answered the poll based on football (OSU fans are the worst, IMO). But in basketball, I would have to agree that IU fans are the worst in the Big Ten.
To be fair I posted this on the football board so that’s the natural interpretation; if we had a general board I’d have posted it there.

Regardless of which sport, I generally dislike Iowa the most - and it’s a healthy dislike. So, my answer’s the same regardless.

When OSU hosted Texas in 2005, it was, (according to many I’ve spoken to) the nadir of OSU fan behavior. One of the UT fan sites described it as a collection of “the 95,000 people you know that are most likely to key a car”

Following the game, the Columbus Police Department convened a meeting with OSU’s President to inform her that they had reached the breaking point and that the University had to start taking concrete steps to reign in the drunken behavior. The following year (and before these things were cast in stone), ABC was salivating at the possibility of Michigan/OSU (1 vs 2) being played in prime time. I’m told (but can’t verify obviously) that Columbus PD told OSU they’d be on their own for crowd control if they agreed. (The game was played at 3:30 ET). Mind you, this was when the B10 finished the season the weekend prior to Thanksgiving instead of after, so students were on campus and the pregame scene for the game literally started 24 hours prior to kickoff. Now that it’s Thanksgiving weekend, most of the starch has been removed, even in 2022 (3vs2) and basically, it was assumed, (incorrectly it turned out) an elimination game for the playoff, it was pretty sedate atmosphere pregame according to people I knew who attended.

I laughed at your Dad getting pissed over “the finger”. Some might say, he did really well if that was the worst he got, Back in the day, US23 (highway between Ann Arbor and CBus) was like driving on a highway with military vehicles. No one with a Michigan plate would drive a single mph over the speed limit because it was lined with state and county law enforcement itching to write traffic citations.
We took 23 almost all the way down to Columbus back in the day, the drive was boring as it was mostly farm country. We would stop by Fostoria to get stuff for the tailgating from one of those drive through stores. This was during the early 80's. God I miss those days!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT