ADVERTISEMENT

Which NU QBs (since '95) would you choose to compete for a BT and National Title

torque-cat

Dec 11, 2018
Here is who I'd pick (assuming all are healthy and in their college prime)

1. Persa. Incredible that a kid who only played about 7 games healthy was so special. Dual-threat, relentless worker, among most accurate QBs in history. If he was healthy, throwing to Ebert, could've been a BT title under Fitz.

2. Kafka. Tall, strong, athletic, accurate, smart, drafted into NFL and now one of the top young coaches there.

3. I could make an argument for Schnur, Kustok, Siemian, Bacher (most under-rated), Thorson, Baz. All were great in their own ways and all had some downsides. Schnur was Mr. Clutch, Kustok was dual-threat, Bacher and Siemian were great pure passers, Thorson and Baz were highly productive 4 yr starters etc...

We've been blessed with some great QBs over the past 25 yrs. Here's to hoping Hunter continues the tradition and perhaps even raises the bar.

My top three would be Basanez, Persa, and Thorson- not sure on the order though. All three were fantastic in their own ways. I'd be happy to go into any big game with either of those three.

And that's a knock on any of the other guys. We have been blessed with really strong QB play for a long time. None of these guys in the last 25 years have been elite 1st team All-American players, but all have been good to really good and could lead the Cats to a big victory. We've been lucky to have such consistent QB play and there's no doubt in my mind that at least over the last ten years, McCall has played a role in developing these young QB's and helping them reach their potential.

Here is who I'd pick (assuming all are healthy and in their college prime)

1. Persa. Incredible that a kid who only played about 7 games healthy was so special. Dual-threat, relentless worker, among most accurate QBs in history. If he was healthy, throwing to Ebert, could've been a BT title under Fitz.

2. Kafka. Tall, strong, athletic, accurate, smart, drafted into NFL and now one of the top young coaches there.

3. I could make an argument for Schnur, Kustok, Siemian, Bacher (most under-rated), Thorson, Baz. All were great in their own ways and all had some downsides. Schnur was Mr. Clutch, Kustok was dual-threat, Bacher and Siemian were great pure passers, Thorson and Baz were highly productive 4 yr starters etc...

We've been blessed with some great QBs over the past 25 yrs. Here's to hoping Hunter continues the tradition and perhaps even raises the bar.
A healthy Persa. His ability to be accurate under pressure was amazing. His ability to elude rushers would be crucial given our mediocre line play.

I always go with the excitement factor......the play that makes the stands unconsciously stand up in unison .....and for me it was Persa on the loose and Thorson to Carr passes. For achieving beyond what they should..my award goes to Persa........My if he had more time award goes to Kafka.....my Mr. Dependable goes to Steve Schnur and the Final Drive award goes to Zac Kustok..... Man we have had a lot of entertaining quality qbs over the last 20 some years

Zak Kustok.

It's so hard for me to pick, but his scramble for TD in the Michigan game is probably the best NU QB scramble ever - better than even anything Colter did.

If I had to pick, it would be Thorson though.

Reactions: Akeehn0912
My top three would be Basanez, Persa, and Thorson- not sure on the order though. All three were fantastic in their own ways. I'd be happy to go into any big game with either of those three.

And that's a knock on any of the other guys. We have been blessed with really strong QB play for a long time. None of these guys in the last 25 years have been elite 1st team All-American players, but all have been good to really good and could lead the Cats to a big victory. We've been lucky to have such consistent QB play and there's no doubt in my mind that at least over the last ten years, McCall has played a role in developing these young QB's and helping them reach their potential.

Persa, Basanez, Kustok

I almost put Bacher instead of Kustok.

Bacher was as explosive a QB as we've had and had some of the best individual performances ever. A gunslinger. The two game stretch against MSU and Minnesota where he put up almost 1000 yards and 9 TDs vs. 0 INTs was the peak QB performance I've ever seen. He just played on teams with the worst defenses ever.

Len Williams I guess doesn't count since he's pre-95.

Persa, Basanez, Kustok

I almost put Bacher instead of Kustok.

Bacher was as explosive a QB as we've had and had some of the best individual performances ever. A gunslinger. The two game stretch against MSU and Minnesota where he put up almost 1000 yards and 9 TDs vs. 0 INTs was the peak QB performance I've ever seen. He just played on teams with the worst defenses ever.
That is my list exactly.

Persa was the complete dual-threat package, and I think we tend to forget just how good he was. And he accomplished that during the beginning of a very bad OL period.

Basanez was just "Mr. Moxie." He exuded confidence and fun, and made the team believe it could win at any time.

Kustok was similar to Baz. I just think Baz had slightly better tools.

And I totally agree on almost listing Bacher above Kustok. He was the best pure passer from this period. He put up video game numbers at times.

That is my list exactly.

Persa was the complete dual-threat package, and I think we tend to forget just how good he was. And he accomplished that during the beginning of a very bad OL period.

Basanez was just "Mr. Moxie." He exuded confidence and fun, and made the team believe it could win at any time. He's what I thought Thorson should have been (plus more physical gifts), but never quite became.

Kustok was similar to Baz. I just think Baz had slightly better tools.

And I totally agree on almost listing Bacher above Kustok. He was the best pure passer from this period. He put up video game numbers at times.

I realize we're just patting each other on the back here, but spot on. Persa was just so good. Super accurate as a passer and could kill you with the run. He was complete. A shame he was injured or Persa Strong could have been for real.

Baz was exactly what you said. He could make the throws, was very consistent, and like you said, you just thought the O could score when he was in there.

Kustok, same.

Put any of these guys with a Hankwitz D and I think we beat dOSU this year. I think we beat Notre Dame. I think we win the B1G.

Last edited:
Reactions: MotownMedilldo
I realize we're just patting each other on the back here, but spot on. Persa was just so good. Super accurate as a passer and could kill you with the run. He was complete. A shame he was injured or Persa Strong could have been for real.

Baz was exactly what you said. He could make the throws, was very consistent, and like you said, you just thought the O could score when he was in there.

Kustok, same.

Put any of these guys with a Hankwitz D and I think we beat dOSU this year. I think we beat Notre Dame. I think we win the B1G.
Could any of them stopped OSU from scoring at will?

Reactions: stpaulcat
A healthy Thorson. If he hadn't had that intervening injury, I believe he would have become a more consistent QB. True, he is prone to interceptions, but he always seemed to make up for it.

Kustok, same.

I disagree on Persa. I think his injury was not a fluke--he pushed himself beyond what his body could withstand. At some point it was going to give out.

There is pre injury Dan Persa and then everyone else. Persa’s Junior year performance is vastly under appreciated by even NU fans. What he did was special and worthy of Heisman consideration in my opinion.
Agreed! He could not miss and if he did it was usually a drop by the receiver. I can’t count the number of times the pocket completely collapsed and he somehow emerged either running for a first down or throwing into an impossibly tight window.

Persa, IMO, would have replicated what Kyler Murray did at OU if given the chance.

There is pre injury Dan Persa and then everyone else. Persa’s Junior year performance is vastly under appreciated by even NU fans. What he did was special and worthy of Heisman consideration in my opinion.

I don't see how it's underappreciated (except by anyone who would put Thorson or anyone else above Persa).

Most people here seem to be saying the same - he was the best and it's not even close. Even you and I finally found something to agree on when it comes to QB play, so that makes it practically universal.

Could any of them stopped OSU from scoring at will?

No, but based on what Maryland and Purdue did to them, I don't think they could have stopped a healthy Dan Persa or Baz or Kustok led offense. We didn't lose because we couldn't stop dOSU (we did as we came out in the beginning of the 2nd half). We lost because we couldn't keep up with their scoring.

I don't see how it's underappreciated (except by anyone who would put Thorson or anyone else above Persa).

Most people here seem to be saying the same - he was the best and it's not even close. Even you and I finally found something to agree on when it comes to QB play, so that makes it practically universal.

Under appreciated because I don’t get the sense NU fans appreciate how exceptional his junior season was across all of college football, not just by NU standards. many snickered at the Heisman campaign NU rolled out for his senior season but it was completely justified based on his junior year performance. Had he stayed healthy, Persa was very worthy of the Heisman talk.

Under appreciated because I don’t get the sense NU fans appreciate how exceptional his junior season was across all of college football, not just by NU standards. many snickered at the Heisman campaign NU rolled out for his senior season but it was completely justified based on his junior year performance. Had he stayed healthy, Persa was very worthy of the Heisman talk.

I said exactly that in my post. Persa was a real dual threat, who also led Division 1 in passing accuracy. He was ridiculous.

I also don't remember anyone snickering about the Heisman hype based on his credentials. More that we maybe shouldn't have hyped it up given his injury and the uncertainty it brought in whether he'd be the same player.

Kustok, same.

LOL! Why not the National championship? Our strong OL and deep, talented DB's would have carried the day against OSU and even Clemson, I'm sure. How many points did Hank's defense give up against OSU?

I said exactly that in my post. Persa was a real dual threat, who also led Division 1 in passing accuracy. He was ridiculous.

I also don't remember anyone snickering about the Heisman hype based on his credentials. More that we maybe shouldn't have hyped it up given his injury and the uncertainty it brought in whether he'd be the same player.

You can’t hype a Heisman Trophy candidate with the caveat of “if he’s healthy”. The Heisman Campaign was justified and smart on NU’s part. No one but the usual Monday Morning QBs could have confidently foreseen the problems Persa encountered in his comeback.

LOL! Why not the National championship? Our strong OL and deep, talented DB's would have carried the day against OSU and even Clemson, I'm sure. How many points did Hank's defense give up against OSU?

How many could Clemson have rung up on NU on Monday? 80? More?

Agreed! He could not miss and if he did it was usually a drop by the receiver. I can’t count the number of times the pocket completely collapsed and he somehow emerged either running for a first down or throwing into an impossibly tight window.

Persa, IMO, would have replicated what Kyler Murray did at OU if given the chance.
I was just thinking all of this. The dream scenario for me is Hunter is Persa Junior year...2.0.

I disagree on Persa. I think his injury was not a fluke--he pushed himself beyond what his body could withstand. At some point it was going to give out.

It was described a
I was just thinking all of this. The dream scenario for me is Hunter is Persa Junior year...2.0.

Dream scenario for me is Persa comes to NU as the QB coach. I remember him saying he doesn't want to be a head coach but loves working 1 on 1 with players, which a QB essentially does.

It was described a

Dream scenario for me is Persa comes to NU as the QB coach. I remember him saying he doesn't want to be a head coach but loves working 1 on 1 with players, which a QB essentially does.

Not gonna happen. I suspect Hunter will be a stronger passer (similar in accuracy, but stronger arm strength and downfield ability) but he won't be the dynamic run threat that Persa was.

Going into a championship game, I would feel most confident with:

1. Persa, pre-injury junior
2. Basanez, senior year
3. Bacher, junior year

Hard to argue against healthy, elite versions of Thorson, Schnur, Kafka, Kustok, Siemian.

Not gonna happen. I suspect Hunter will be a stronger passer (similar in accuracy, but stronger arm strength and downfield ability) but he won't be the dynamic run threat that Persa was.

Hunter is going to be as accurate as one of the most accurate passers in NCAA history--albeit in limited snaps?

We apparently love our dual-threat QB's. Thorson wasn't dual threat? Anyone who thinks not, were you watching this year?-- He is just a different kind of dual threat. His record speaks to this. He is the best QB overall that we have had since before the dark ages.

ecat is right.
If we had Persa, Baz, or ZK in indy, we would have had a much better chance to win. Same with Kafka and CJ.
Hopefully, Hunter will be the one.

The same as Maryland did.

We apparently love our dual-threat QB's. Thorson wasn't dual threat? Anyone who thinks not, were you watching this year?-- He is just a different kind of dual threat. His record speaks to this. He is the best QB overall that we have had since before the dark ages.
Thorson wasn’t even a dual-threat QB before his injury. Carrying the ball once or twice a game to keep the defense honest does not make you a dual-threat QB. And I appreciate Clayton, but Persa was our best overall QB in the post-1995 era by a mile.

Reactions: Katatonic
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT