ADVERTISEMENT

Who is our starting qb next season??

What do you say?? I vote for Atkinson. He has a rocket arm/ is wicked athletic and threw for like 10 tds in one half of a game this season for his hs team!! More than we have had all season! Can we get him on campus in January as an early admit like a lot of our young players are? If it is true that the problem with our qbs on the team now are "not prepared," it is critical to start getting them ready now! Let's play Marty more and actually have him pass the football to see what he's got! We've seen Smith and Johnson too...why not play Whittaker just to see what he's holding in his tank?? Maybe Atkinson will be able to surpass all 4 of our qbs this year in spring ball and be a four year starter like Thorson? I know Fitz is hesitant to start young qbs, but if Atkinson is the real deal...START HIM and WIN!!
Don't think a freshman QB is the answer. Also think that here were reports that he was having a somewhat shaky Senior year. True? They have already figured out that Whittaker is destined for SB and Smith has shown what he's got or not. Who knows about Marty, since they won't let him throw. So it's either Johnson comes back and becomes the 5* guy he was supposed to be or go looking for a grad transfer.

I think Northwestern's QB situation for 2020 gets really, really interesting if TJ Green a) gets a medical redshirt and b) decides to stay at NU. We'd be looking at a roster with seven QBs:

- TJ Green
- Hunter Johnson
- Aidan Smith
- Andrew Marty
- Jason Whittaker (assuming he doesn't move to SB)
- Zac Krause
- Aidan Atkinson

I'm not wholly sure what comes out of that scenario.

If there is a new OC or HC, and Hunter Johnson stays then HJ hands down.

Otherwise, put the best 11 on the field, i.e., 3 RB's. We have better chances playing the Wildcat instead of trotting out a QB under the McCall Offense. We simply don't have any WR's that are talented so just focus on rushing.

Reactions: IGNORE
Run the Single Wing.
As one of the last single wing coaches in the country, I volunteer to be OC. Need Fitz and the young guys to recruit. Mix the spread with the single wing and you have one hell of an offense that matches our defense first philosophy. Save almost $600,000. I need housing and a staff car. Head coaching record is 190-87. (And a golf cart for practice)

As one of the last single wing coaches in the country, I volunteer to be OC. Need Fitz and the young guys to recruit. Mix the spread with the single wing and you have one hell of an offense that matches our defense first philosophy. Save almost $600,000. I need housing and a staff car. Head coaching record is 190-87. (And a golf cart for practice)
Didn’t Whittaker come from a program that ran the single wing?

What do you say?? I vote for Atkinson. He has a rocket arm/ is wicked athletic and threw for like 10 tds in one half of a game this season for his hs team!! More than we have had all season! Can we get him on campus in January as an early admit like a lot of our young players are? If it is true that the problem with our qbs on the team now are "not prepared," it is critical to start getting them ready now! Let's play Marty more and actually have him pass the football to see what he's got! We've seen Smith and Johnson too...why not play Whittaker just to see what he's holding in his tank?? Maybe Atkinson will be able to surpass all 4 of our qbs this year in spring ball and be a four year starter like Thorson? I know Fitz is hesitant to start young qbs, but if Atkinson is the real deal...START HIM and WIN!!
Well, you are half right. Aidan will be the QB. Wrong Aidan

As for the new guy, even if he enrolls early, he won't have time to "learn the offense"

Well, you are half right. Aidan will be the QB. Wrong Aidan

As for the new guy, even if he enrolls early, he won't have time to "learn the offense"

I would also guess that it's Smith. Green had more experience at the start of this year, but not anymore. He's been out while Smith has been getting lots of reps. Maybe Green beats out Marty.

Assuming McCall is retained, Atkinson will need years to master the "system."

I don't know what to say about Johnson at this point. He's not only had trouble with decision-making; he's flat out missed a lot of guys. He had a brutal stretch in the Indiana game where he just couldn't put the ball in the right spot. If it's really just off-field stuff and more time/preparation, then I'd pick him to win the QB spot next year.

Run the Single Wing.

I grew up in Princeton NJ. The Tigers ran the single wing . It is a devastating running formation with unbalanced lines, pulling lineman, 3 backs(FB,WB and QB) blocking for the tailback.The offense requires a special athlete at tailback-he has to a good runner and passer.

Recently, a HS team in Virginia went from a last place conference finish to winning the state title the next year, after switching to the single wing

The single wing is an anachronism but when run well, a thing of beauty.

Tubby Raymond's Delaware wing T is another offense with confusing misdirection plays but I still am partial to the single wing

1) Play the talent. Period. The head coach of a 2-8 team with a historically bad offense blathering about which players give us the best chance to win is preposterous. HJ should be taking every snap unless he is physically unable to do so. Anything short of that, all this nonsense about "not knowing the system," is just that. Even at our academically-oriented program, the point of a multi-million dollar football enterprise is to win at football. I love Fitz but if HJ is being held out for any reason not related to health (including mental health), that is gross negligence and should be treated as such.

2) Elite teams don't (or shouldn't) install any offense that doesn't move the ball efficiently. Passing is significantly more efficient than running. If you can't pass, you cannot win against elite or even mediocre programs without an incredible defense AND excellent turnover luck AND flawless execution with respect to penalties and red zone defense. In the past several years we have won because those things happened. This year they stopped, with largely the same personnel on defense, and guess what? We are a bottom 5 team in the country. It is why this idea that our non-fense is somehow complimentary to our defense and led to winning games does not hold water.

I grew up in Princeton NJ. The Tigers ran the single wing . It is a devastating running formation with unbalanced lines, pulling lineman, 3 backs(FB,WB and QB) blocking for the tailback.The offense requires a special athlete at tailback-he has to a good runner and passer.

Recently, a HS team in Virginia went from a last place conference finish to winning the state title the next year, after switching to the single wing

The single wing is an anachronism but when run well, a thing of beauty.

Tubby Raymond's Delaware wing T is another offense with confusing misdirection plays but I still am partial to the single wing
Palmer Stadium.
Dick Kasmeier?
Cosmo Yacovasi?
Tiger striped sleeves on unis!
I still have about 25 personal letters from Princeton's head coach, Charles W. Caldwell, explaining his single wing system to my father and answering all his questions in cursive. And his book which was published later. Buck lateral series, spin series, and power series. Great motion techniques. Formations galore. A cornucopia of single wing football knowledge. It is beautiful material.

I would also guess that it's Smith. Green had more experience at the start of this year, but not anymore. He's been out while Smith has been getting lots of reps. Maybe Green beats out Marty.

Assuming McCall is retained, Atkinson will need years to master the "system."

I don't know what to say about Johnson at this point. He's not only had trouble with decision-making; he's flat out missed a lot of guys. He had a brutal stretch in the Indiana game where he just couldn't put the ball in the right spot. If it's really just off-field stuff and more time/preparation, then I'd pick him to win the QB spot next year.

I would bet a very considerable amount of money that it is NOT Smith. And I don’t bet, ever.

Like I said, new OC: Johnson. McCall: Johnson or Green.

Reactions: Titanium999
Years ago I was head guy for a local youth football league. Very competitive and relatively sophisticated play. One town/team ran single wing at every single age group whereas other towns/teams ran offenses that varied with the coach for the age group. The town with the single wing approach was small and did not have the same numbers as other towns. Did not matter. Devastating offense.

Palmer Stadium.
Dick Kasmeier?
Cosmo Yacovasi?
Tiger striped sleeves on unis!
I still have about 25 personal letters from Princeton's head coach, Charles W. Caldwell, explaining his single wing system to my father and answering all his questions in cursive. And his book which was published later. Buck lateral series, spin series, and power series. Great motion techniques. Formations galore. A cornucopia of single wing football knowledge. It is beautiful material.

Cosmo Iacavazzi and Bill Bradley both were PU Class '65. It was a great time to be a kid watching Princeton sports.

Iacavazzi was the fullback in the single wing and middle linebacker on defense. A great college player (Hall of Fame) but not big enough or fast enough to make it in the pros

Everybody remembers USC's student body right/left but in the single wing, 2 pulling lineman from the strong side and 3 backs would lead the sweep-it was more like a stampede

Reactions: Rebel_
Cosmo Iacavazzi and Bill Bradley both were PU Class '65. It was a great time to be a kid watching Princeton sports.

Iacavazzi was the fullback in the single wing and middle linebacker on defense. A great college player (Hall of Fame) but not big enough or fast enough to make it in the pros

Everybody remembers USC's student body right/left but in the single wing, 2 pulling lineman from the strong side and 3 backs would lead the sweep-it was more like a stampede

Misdirection, power, and deception along with play action passes. Wonderful to watch. Ah, the memories!

I would bet a very considerable amount of money that it is NOT Smith. And I don’t bet, ever.

Like I said, new OC: Johnson. McCall: Johnson or Green.

Smith does seem to be in the doghouse about throwing those two picks against UMass.

But Smith still has a higher QBR than Johnson, even though he's last in the FBS; they are close. It's easy to bet blinded by the stars and forget how bad Johnson's stats are since he's the better athlete.

Let's hope they both get better next year. We need some receivers to break out, too, or it may not matter.

Smith does seem to be in the doghouse about throwing those two picks against UMass.

But Smith still has a higher QBR than Johnson, even though he's last in the FBS; they are close. It's easy to bet blinded by the stars and forget how bad Johnson's stats are since he's the better athlete.

Let's hope they both get better next year. We need some receivers to break out, too, or it may not matter.
With the new RS rules, surprised we have not seen Kirtz or GHP yet

Reactions: drewjin
Why put another variable into an offense that's completely out of whack?

With the new RS rules, surprised we have not seen Kirtz or GHP yet

GHP apparently played against UMass, but I didn't see him get any targets. Lots of people speculated pre-seasons that he'd need time to learn the position. Hopefully we see some more of him in the last two games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT