ADVERTISEMENT

Who should the Wildcats schedule (future) OOC?

I'd love to see the Cats get into a semi-routine rotation of Duke (ACC), Vandy (SEC), Stanford (PAC), and a rotating team of the B12 (since they don't really have an academic elite equivalent). That would be pretty cool. See each of those teams once every four years, home and home so you'd get out to their places once every eight.

Aside from that, I think not many of the programs named in this thread measure up to NU. Maybe from the bad old days, but not today. You're significantly better than every non-Power 5 team listed, and should eschew dates with them except as cupcake fillers. Not as the marquee non-conference game of the year.

Tennessee mixes it up each year this way: 1 x Power 5, 2 x Group of 5, 1 x local/regional FCS. The Power 5 team is the marquee non-conference game, the group of 5 opponents are, frankly, cupcakes, and the FCS team is a charity game (nets them tons of $$ to improve their program and facilities). I don't know if NU follows any similar formula for your annual non-conference slate. Hopefully that rotation with Duke, Vandy, Stanford, and B12-random would fit into the formula, if so.

Last edited:
Play south Florida teams in November. NU will DIE in the heat and humidity in September. I've seen it happen too many times watching the Dolphins and the "Canes play northern opponents in September and early October.

Yeah, I remember seeing the Bears play Miami in Florida years ago near the end of Butkus's career. The Bears were bad, Miami was good, and it was a very hot night. Most of the Bears looked as if they were dead before halftime. I forget the final score, but it was one of the worst beatings I've ever seen the Bears take, and I've seen plenty of clinkers over the years.

A few other options that may be interesting.

* Louisiana Lafayette. I mean this is the real deal when it comes to Cajun Country, the teams there are called the Ragin' Cajuns and it's not because of history, it's because of today. One of my favorite online radio stations is located not far away. This is great to put on when cleanng the house or hosting a party.
http://player.warpradio.com/KANE-AM/index.php

* UTexas- San Antonio.
Maybe we can finally win one in the Alamo Dome. I think San Antonio is a fun city with all that is going on down at the Riverwalk and the Alamo.

* San Diego State.
A place I have always wanted to visit.

Last edited:
A few other options that may be interesting.

* Louisiana Lafayette. I mean this is the real deal when it comes to Cajun Country, the teams there are called the Ragin' Cajuns and it's not because of history, it's because of today. One of my favorite online radio stations is located not far away. This is great to put on when cleanng the house or hosting a party.
http://player.warpradio.com/KANE-AM/index.php

* UTexas- San Antonio.
Maybe we can finally win one in the Alamo Dome. I think San Antonio i a fun city with all that is going on down at the riverwalk and the Alamo.

San Diego State.
A place I have always wanted to visit.

There's almost literally no good reason for NU to take a trip to any of these places.

A home and home with CU Boulder would be awesome. Winnable, and with the growth in Denver has come an elevation of the high school talent in Colorado

maybe not but playing again in San Antonio and anywhere in Louisiana make for real fun road trips.

It's stretching the limits of my credulity that I'm even thinking about NU taking a trip to Lafayette or Monroe.

Again, no good reason for NU to take a trip to any of those places.

Monroe sucks. The whole city smells because of a paper mill. How this was allowed to be built in the city and not 10 miles out of it is beyond me.

Ruston, home of LaTech, is 30 miles away. That would be a nice trip. It's has a small town America to it. Randy Bates used to be a coach there and recruits that area for us.

Louisiana always has a few kids with good enough grades we could look at as far as I know, so the trip might be worth it. With the departure of Zack Oliver we have no LA kids on the roster but on the other hand Stanford has 5 kids on the roster from Louisiana this year so it's not like there is no-one there we could pursue.

Monroe sucks. The whole city smells because of a paper mill. How this was allowed to be built in the city and not 10 miles out of it is beyond me.

I like the smell of paper mills. They remind me of going fishing with my father in the northwoods.

A few years ago, I suggested that the "academic schools" form an alliance to schedule each other in a quasi conference. NU, ND, Stanford, and Duke play each other every year. This would have been easier before ND "joined" the ACC and the B1G moved to a 9 game schedule but these are quality games

A few years ago, I suggested that the "academic schools" form an alliance to schedule each other in a quasi conference. NU, ND, Stanford, and Duke play each other every year. This would have been easier before ND "joined" the ACC and the B1G moved to a 9 game schedule but these are quality games
Besides ND is tired of getting beat by NU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT