ADVERTISEMENT

Why Northwestern can win on Saturday

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
Obviously anyone who watched the PC today knows it's going to be an uphill battle, But there some reasons for hope:

#1 OSUs passing attack has not been good recently
JTB is out of sorts right now and got pressured by a PSU dline that is nothing special. OSU may not be able to expose our biggest weakness

#2 Our front seven is playing well
If they can somehow limit JTB and the run game and force JTB to beat us through the air he may not be able to

#3 OSUs run D is struggling
We just saw McSorley and Barkely really light them up in the run game. Corey Clement also had a big day against them the previous week. Perhaps Thorson and JJ can find some open holes to run through to and work some clock.

Obviously anyone who watched the PC today knows it's going to be an uphill battle, But there some reasons for hope:

JTB is out of sorts right now and got pressured by a PSU dline that is nothing special. OSU may not be able to expose our biggest weakness

If they can somehow limit JTB and the run game and force JTB to beat us through the air he may not be able to

We just saw McSorley and Barkely really light them up in the run game. Corey Clement also had a big day against them the previous week. Perhaps Thorson and JJ can find some open holes to run through to and work some clock.
Agree, only if we have an aggressive game plan that extends through all four quarters and possibly OT. We start running JJ consistently for no gain on first down (whether it be up the middle or around the edge) and we're finished quicker than you can say JJ. I believe our running attack will need to consist primarily of getting the ball to our speed backs in space (until OSU figures it out, and then we have to have a back up plan to change it up quickly--is that asking too much?). I don't think we run the option with TS, maybe Alviti for a couple plays every now and then. We have to go deep early and often, since we now have the personnel to do that. Our first play of the second half should be just that.

Agree, only if we have an aggressive game plan that extends through all four quarters and possibly OT. We start running JJ consistently for no gain on first down (whether it be up the middle or around the edge) and we're finished quicker than you can say JJ. I believe our running attack will need to consist primarily of getting the ball to our speed backs in space (until OSU figures it out, and then we have to have a back up plan to change it up quickly--is that asking too much?). I don't think we run the option with TS, maybe Alviti for a couple plays every now and then. We have to go deep early and often, since we now have the personnel to do that. Our first play of the second half should be just that.

A universal truth, to be sure, but PARTICULARLY so in this game. Any more than a few 2nd-and-10s just ain't gonna get it done.

Also, because I just watched the 2004 NU-OSU game highlights on YouTube. We were 1-3 going into the game against the #6 ranked undefeated Buckeyes. Our injury situation in the secondary now is pretty bad and could be the difference.

Your plan cannot work, it involves the coaches doing something different.

Sarcasm aside, I expect us to, to some extent, try those stupid lateral sweeps that do nothing. I also expect a lot of JJ on first down,. I do not expect Alviti unless injury, and, although I am not sure who you mean by speed backs, you can expect 85% JJ and 15% JMIV

To me, the wildcard is Thor and the OL. We've seen what he can do when he has time and is on rhythm, and if he gets loose on a couple of runs, all the better.

Hard to pin it all on him, but the game (elsewhere) has become so QB centric, so...

I think out STs will be OK and am actually hopeful about the DBs after Marcus Mc came in. There will be big plays, i hope not many So...Thor needs a big game

I think NU has a puncher's chance in the game, but I was at the Penn-State and Ohio State game, and McSorley and Barkley did not "light" them up. Ohio State played very well defensively for most of the game. We don't want to overuse Jackson, but Penn State almost lost the game because they underutilized Barkley, whom if I remember correctly had only 12 carries. I can't recall them attempting a single pass to him, either. The Ohio State backs were mostly contained, but tore off one long run for a touchdown and had a couple of other good plays. This is why you keep running unless you're seriously behind. A good back can get stuffed 11-12 times and then boom!
Ohio State lost mainly because they relaxed near the end of the first half and allowed a previously scoreless Penn State team to sneak in a TD in less than a minute and because their kicking game let them down — missed extra point, blocked punt, blocked field goal.

We are 25 point dogs not 2.5 dogs. The sharps rarely miss a game by that much. I wore my purple glasses since Saturday, and am struggling to see a way for us to win. PSU won because of boneheaded OSU plays, we would need the same. I am not one for moral victories, but it would be huge to play well against a top team after our performances last year against the top 10 ( other than Stanford). A Cat victory in the afternoon and a Cub World Series clinching win at night? That might wipe out the state of Ohio or at least create the biggest sick day in the history of the state on Monday.

We are 25 point dogs not 2.5 dogs. The sharps rarely miss a game by that much. I wore my purple glasses since Saturday, and am struggling to see a way for us to win. PSU won because of boneheaded OSU plays, we would need the same. I am not one for moral victories, but it would be huge to play well against a top team after our performances last year against the top 10 ( other than Stanford). A Cat victory in the afternoon and a Cub World Series clinching win at night? That might wipe out the state of Ohio or at least create the biggest sick day in the history of the state on Monday.
Go Cats. Go Tribe.

Because "college football." Weird things happen in college football weekly. Just have to hope you catch more than a few breaks when playing in a place like The Shoe.

We have to win up the middle both running and passing. If we play to the sidelines, we give superior talent an extra defender and that's too great an advantage to overcome. One thing I have LOVED seeing lately has been honest-to-God post patterns up the middle. When you can cut left or right or block left or right, it keeps a defense more honest.

Use the whole field, yes, but more outside-in than inside-out. I don't know a damn thing about anything. Hell, I'm reminded daily by the football geniuses here - the true arbiters of NU football - that I don't even know my own name! :) But I do know that if we pin ourselves against the sidelines against guys fast enough to meet us there, we're toast.

Last edited:
Well said Hungry jack! Up the middle! More important is Clayton making them pay when they stack the box and play tight man to man! Also,our defensive line needs to keep JT in the pocket! Force JT to throw while in the pocket! Not when he scrambles! Contain and control the edges!

Well said Hungry jack! Up the middle! More important is Clayton making them pay when they stack the box and play tight man to man! Also,our defensive line needs to keep JT in the pocket! Force JT to throw while in the pocket! Not when he scrambles! Contain and control the edges!

You may be onto something here wrassler. I don't think any team before NU even thought of containing JT. What can be so hard about containing the edges? Rock on!!

Reactions: ricko654321
Wasn't PSU a pretty big dog as well? We tend to do well as dogs on the road.

PSU did a great job of keeping JT in the pocket we can do the same with the Stout defensive line we have on the edge we just have to keep JT buried in the pocket make him pass cuz he's kind of small we will be fine Saturday I think think that Fitzgerald understands this

We were 28 point dogs in 1995 in South Bend. I'm making that number up a bit, but it was something like that or even more.

If our O plays like it did in the 1st half of IU, then we will not just beat dOSU, we will crush them.

If it plays like it did in the 2nd half of IU, we're going to get smeared.

Here's to hoping for the former.

We were 28 point dogs in 1995 in South Bend. I'm making that number up a bit, but it was something like that or even more.

Don't think you are making that up, E-Cat. If memory serves, that just about exactly what the line was.

Use the whole field, yes, but more outside-in than inside-out. I don't know a damn thing about anything. Hell, I'm reminded daily by the football geniuses here - the true arbiters of NU football - that I don't even know my own name! :) But I do know that if we pin ourselves against the sidelines against guys fast enough to meet us there, we're toast.

Apparently, you don't, Shivas.

The last time we beat OSU we did so by throwing more sideline screens and slants to get their excellent LB's to move and make tackles on the run in space. Mark Philmore had 134 yards receiving, mostly on bubble screens. We ran up the middle as well.

Last edited:
If our O plays like it did in the 1st half of IU, then we will not just beat dOSU, we will crush them.

If it plays like it did in the 2nd half of IU, we're going to get smeared.

Here's to hoping for the former.
You really think you are going to come into the shoe and play a woke up motivated talented Buckeye team.Fat chance is not even going to be pretty .Cat with age you get more ignorant.

You really think you are going to come into the shoe and play a woke up motivated talented Buckeye team.Fat chance is not even going to be pretty .Cat with age you get more ignorant.
You mean they're not even going to let us play the "woke up motivated talented Buckeye team"? Well, that's disappointing. I was so looking forward to watching the game.

Reactions: PurpleHaze525

We have to use both JJ and Moten. Moten has to get more carries to take the load off of JJ.

We have to use both JJ and Moten. Moten has to get more carries to take the load off of JJ.

There is a huge drop off in running ability between JJ and Moten right now. Same with JJ and WMLong.

OSU is 5th or 6th nationwide in pass eff. defense, but can be slightly more vulnerable to the run. Expect them to know our weaknesses and rely on the passing game. Like Armstrong, J.T.B. Will be hard to control. I will watch with hope but am not optimistic about the outcome. Hope I'm wrong.

As mentioned already, the key will be how the OL and DL do against the Bugeyes. NU clearly won both those battles against MSU, but the Indy DL won in the second half against our OL. If our OL can neutralize the Bugs, then JJTBC will create opportunities and Thorson will have time to get the ball to our receivers. I have high expectations for Moten but he hasn't shown the slipperiness of JJTBC yet.

Does anyone remember the late ESPN 8pm start back in 2000 or around there when we beat the Buckeyes in OT? That was one of my best memories of seeing the Cats play in person. Wasn't it Noah Herron on a sweep to the right of the North end zone to wrap up the game? I think that game ended at about 1am or something. That game and the instant classic when be beat Michigan 54-51 were incredible. I am hoping that we can beat OSU like Stanford beat USC with Harbaugh as coach in his start before his SF days. Weren't they like 41 point underdogs?

Does anyone remember the late ESPN 8pm start back in 2000 or around there when we beat the Buckeyes in OT? That was one of my best memories of seeing the Cats play in person. Wasn't it Noah Herron on a sweep to the right of the North end zone to wrap up the game? I think that game ended at about 1am or something. That game and the instant classic when be beat Michigan 54-51 were incredible. I am hoping that we can beat OSU like Stanford beat USC with Harbaugh as coach in his start before his SF days. Weren't they like 41 point underdogs?
I thought Herron went right up the middle.

I thought Herron went right up the middle.
You got it.

Noah+Herron+OSU+TD.jpg

ohio-state-laments-loss-missed-opportunities.jpg

He did and was essentially untouched. The key blocks were by Trevor Rees, the left guard Ullrich?) and Trai Essex.
Yup. Herron was 6 yards deep and waited a half second for the scrum line to form before stepping in. Not your typical dive play, but almost a read play.

The interior blocking was superb. Cobb came over and sealed the left side. There was a pocket around Herron that pretty much moved him to the goal line. I don't think any OSU defender had a shot at him.

It was 2004 so about 4 years after the miracles of 2000. I can remember at the time Goose Island had their bear that they were giving away pre game and I was telling a couple OSU fans that this was so that they would not feel so bad after we beat them. Man I miss the Goose Island tent. Herron was number 33 scoring on his 33rd carry 33 years since we had won by scoring 33 points. So now it is 45 years since we have won in Columbus and 12 years since we have beaten them.

I was there for the instant classic NU-UM game 54-51 win. What an incredible game! Dropped sure NU td pass lost in the lights! Fumble by the Train as he had an open field ahead! Slant by Sam Simmons for the winning td! Failed final fg attempt by the UM kicker from Torrey Pines HS! Instant classic! ( I was channeling Wrestlemania with this post.)

ValleyForgeWashingtonWithTroops.jpg

I will be pulling for you. The red coats are coming, though.

You mean they're not even going to let us play the "woke up motivated talented Buckeye team"? Well, that's disappointing. I was so looking forward to watching the game.
So am i i enjoyed watching the
last time we played all the hype .How far did you fall after that how many games did you lose in a row.Please refresh my memory

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT