ADVERTISEMENT

Wilt "The Stilt"

docrugby1

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2010
Wilt Chamberlain scored 52 points in his first collegiate game. Can anyone name Kansas' opponent in his first game

He later scored 100 points in a game. Do you know where the game was played ? I listened to it on my "transistor radio"

Wilt Chamberlain scored 52 points in his first collegiate game. Can anyone name Kansas' opponent in his first game

He later scored 100 points in a game. Do you know where the game was played ? I listened to it on my "transistor radio"

Please don't google-that is cheating !

Please don't google-that is cheating !
I know that the 100 pt. game was in Hershey, PA, and that no footage of it is known to exist. No idea who the opponent was in his first game, but being that you're asking . . . I'll go with Northwestern. :D

The 100 point game was against the Knicks (with to-be teammate Darrell Imhoff one of the opposing centers). Wilt made 28 of 32 from the line that evening, which was clearly an aberration from the bulk of his career. His teammate, Al Attles, was 10 for 10 from the floor that night -- and recalled being booed each time he shot the ball in the second half.

BTW, no one called him "the Stilt," at least not to his face. His teammates on the Sixers called him "Chief."

Northwestern at the Chicago Stadium....Willy?
Don't think so. Think the NU game against Kansas and Chamberlain was in Wilt's sophomore year and at McGaw Hall. I think it was in 1954 in a standing room only crowd at McGaw. The Cat's had the likes Rucklick, Warren, Mantis and Willie "the Bird" Jones. I have the program stashed somewhere. Oh and NU lost by around 10 points.

Darrell imhoff is my stepfather and I have a tape of that game where Wilt scored 100 points... amazing.

Don't think so. Think the NU game against Kansas and Chamberlain was in Wilt's sophomore year and at McGaw Hall. I think it was in 1954 in a standing room only crowd at McGaw. The Cat's had the likes Rucklick, Warren, Mantis and Willie "the Bird" Jones. I have the program stashed somewhere. Oh and NU lost by around 10 points.

jerry west and west virginia were at the stadium?

jerry west and west virginia were at the stadium?
They did play W.Virginia at the stadium but don't think West was there at the time. Maybe "Hot Rod" Hundley? Think it went into double OT. both teams scored in the hundreds and even think the Cats won.

Remember freshmen were ineligible in the 50's
I know that the 100 pt. game was in Hershey, PA, and that no footage of it is known to exist. No idea who the opponent was in his first game, but being that you're asking . . . I'll go with Northwestern. :D

We have a winner !

The 100 point game was against the Knicks (with to-be teammate Darrell Imhoff one of the opposing centers). Wilt made 28 of 32 from the line that evening, which was clearly an aberration from the bulk of his career. His teammate, Al Attles, was 10 for 10 from the floor that night -- and recalled being booed each time he shot the ball in the second half.

BTW, no one called him "the Stilt," at least not to his face. His teammates on the Sixers called him "Chief."

. . . . . and opponents called him "Sir".

I got his autograph once, when I was in 3rd or 4th grade living in Phoenix. He was the last guy out of the locker room, and a big group of kids ran up to him. I ended up 1st in line, shoved right up against him. He looked down at me and grunted. My face was directly in line with his belt buckle (which said "Chief"). He was ENORMOUS. But he signed for all the kids.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
I got his autograph once, when I was in 3rd or 4th grade living in Phoenix. He was the last guy out of the locker room, and a big group of kids ran up to him. I ended up 1st in line, shoved right up against him. He looked down at me and grunted. My face was directly in line with his belt buckle (which said "Chief"). He was ENORMOUS. But he signed for all the kids.
Last time I saw him was at a beach volleyball game in Manhattan Beach CA.

The first time I saw him play was as a member of the Harlem Globetrotters. After he left Kansas, he was ineligible to play in the NBA. I saw him at the Trenton Armory and thought the Globetrotters were the best team in the world. I am not sure but I think Red Klotz was on the Washington Generals in that game

One of my favorite stories about Wilf was about a precocious rookie phenom, Jumpin' Johnnie Green, who blocked Wilt's dunk. Wilt calmly told the rookie "If you try that again, I'll break your arm" That was the last time he tried to stop Wilt

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT