ADVERTISEMENT

Wisconsin-Purdue Cancelled

ParisCat

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2002
That means Wisconsin is down to 6 games max. One more cancellation and they will almost certainly be ineligible for the West title.

• Wow
Reactions: DaCat
So, assuming we beat Nebraska, this means that the two teams who are the biggest threat to us winning the title won't have to play each other. (Forgetting for a second the whole perspective that this is 2020 and Covid sucks for everyone....) This denies one of them an extra loss.

So, assuming we beat Nebraska, this means that the two teams who are the biggest threat to us winning the title won't have to play each other. (Forgetting for a second the whole perspective that this is 2020 and Covid sucks for everyone....) This denies one of them an extra loss.
We just need to take care of business and win out.

Sure... but if you beat Nebraska, then you can virtually wrap up the division the following week vs. Purdue.

Reactions: Titanium999
Hypothetical: NU ends up 7-1 with its sole loss to Wisconsin. Wisconsin ends up playing 6 games, finishing 5-1 with a loss to Michigan. Who wins the West? Is head-to-head the decider (UW)? Or is it overall winning percentage (NU)? Or is it winning percentage within the division (UW)? Please show your work.

Hypothetical: NU ends up 7-1 with its sole loss to Wisconsin. Wisconsin ends up playing 6 games, finishing 5-1 with a loss to Michigan. Who wins the West? Is head-to-head the decider (UW)? Or is it overall winning percentage (NU)? Or is it winning percentage within the division (UW)? Please show your work.
If two teams end up with the same number of losses, the champ is determined by head to head. In this case Wiscy would be crowned champs despite is having the higher win %

Aside from the obvious ethical issues which NU would never invite upon themselves, what about this hypothetical:

A 4-0 Northwestern squad has a small "outbreak" the week prior to the Wisconsin game and thus the game is a no contest. NU would essentially lock up the West by avoiding this game.

I'm not saying it'll happen here but I wouldn't put that strategy past a less scrupulous team hungry for a division crown like Nebby or Purdue.

Aside from the obvious ethical issues which NU would never invite upon themselves, what about this hypothetical:

A 4-0 Northwestern squad has a small "outbreak" the week prior to the Wisconsin game and thus the game is a no contest. NU would essentially lock up the West by avoiding this game.

I'm not saying it'll happen here but I wouldn't put that strategy past a less scrupulous team hungry for a division crown like Nebby or Purdue.
If you wanted to consider such a conspiracy theory, you would also be obligated to note the fact that Wisconsin cancelled two games in which they would be leaning on a 4th-string QB, when they were not expressly required to.

But I’m not much for conspiracy theories.

What Wisconsin is getting is not the same as a bye week (or two). They have paused all football operations during this time, which means no practices or team meetings. I think it is better to be playing and practicing than sitting idle.

What Wisconsin is getting is not the same as a bye week (or two). They have paused all football operations during this time, which means no practices or team meetings. I think it is better to be playing and practicing than sitting idle.
Do they lose tv revenue also?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT