ADVERTISEMENT

women in WNIT elite 8 thread

Our halftime adjustments and legs at the end of the game are just ridiculous at this point. Another 20-9 4th quarter turns an 8 point deficit into a 3 pojnt victory. Ohio was a tricky team to play, as they essentially play 5 guards and force you into a lot of things you don't normally do to try to win. But win we did, in another amazing comeback victory over a 30-5 team (now 30-6) who had not lost to a nonconference opponent, We predictably crushed them on the board (41-26) but that did not translate into points, as our bigs were consistently frustrated by smaller, quicker guards. And, with PKA gettng her 4th foul halfway through the third quarter, it seemed that we would have a tough hill to climb. But PKA checked back into a game at the beginning of the 4th, a gamble that paid off as she did not pick up another foul, and two Ohio starters fouled out instead!.

Jordan Hamilton, whose minutes are still limited by what looked like a season-ending ankle injury a few weeks ago, made the biggest shot of the game to cut the lead to 2 with under 4 minutes left, after Ohio had match all of our runs with runs on their own. Ohio immediately responded with an and-one, but couldn't convert the free throw, and would only score 2 points the rest of the game (on a bucket we allowed them to have up 3 with 5 seconds left), thanks to our typical lockdown defense, limiting Ohio to 27% in the final quarter, including 0-4 from 3.

Liindsey Pulliam, still bothered by a shoulder injury, led the way with 22 points, but only only 5-18 shooting. But she was clutch at the line, going 12-15, including 4-4 at the end to ice it. Veronica Burton, the super-freshman who has been amazing down the stretch, added 15 and 6 assists, including 3-4 from 3-pt range. PKA only had 9 due to the aforementioned foul trouble, but added 16 rebounds. Jordan Hamilton had 9 points and 3 assists in only 25 minutes of action.

With the win, we notch our third 20-win season in the last 5, after zero such seasons in the previous 15, and move on to the WNIT Final Four to face the winner of Georgetown- James Madison.

No neutral site games in WNIT.

Dang!!
That sucks. I was hoping our WBB team would get to play at MSG for the Final Four. It’s a quick train ride away, and I always enjoy any reason to put on my purple basketball jersey in the Big Apple.

Wait...

Thought the WNIT/NIT didn't matter.

Here's to the 'Cats making it to the finals!
I mean, in the big picture I don’t really think it matters much as very few people outside of the programs in the tournament are paying attention. I haven’t watched a single men’s (or women’s) NIT game and I couldn’t tell you who is in the final 4. But I imagine it matters to the team, and it builds future momentum, and besides it’s fun to cheer for.

Go Cats

Hey thanks for the link, the lady cats are holding a seven point lead at halftime -and they've held that lead since I tuned in near the end of the first quarter . Yes women's basketball has for 10 minute quarters

Reactions: ricko654321
Hey thanks for the link, the lady cats are holding a seven point lead at halftime -and they've held that lead since I tuned in near the end of the first quarter . Yes women's basketball has for 10 minute quarters

You're welcome! Odd to see them get off to such a hot start, though they have cooled down a bit. And Abi's 3 fouls are a concern. But really a fine first half-- one half to go!

We're up 69-63 with 54 seconds left. Get it done ladies!

Just a great, great game, In control throughout vs. a team that had not lost at home this season. Bodes well for the final!

Reactions: Noah121
JMU had won 31 straight at home. All five starters scored in double figures, and except for a little shakiness at the end after Burton had fouled out we were in control. FTs by Pulliam and Scheid sealed it.

Go Cats!

It's official... Wildcats will win WNIT on Sat. Go NU Cats!

Yep, the final is on CBS Sports. Alas, I'm busy at a prior commitment during that time, and I don't think my cable package contains CBSSN...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT