ADVERTISEMENT

Women lose a heatbreaker

mikewebb68

Oct 24, 2009
In OT, 79-78 on the road vs. Michigan, where Jordan Hamilton's potential game winning runner hit the rim twice and bounced out. Also lost Abi Scheid to an ankle injury caused by an undercut which the clueless refs somehow called an offensive foul to add insult to injury. It did not look good, but she did return to the bench without crutches.

Insane game of runs and officials who could not keep up, doing the best to slow down the game by calling as many fouls as humanly possible. Pallas barely played half the game before fouling out (still had 12 points though, as she was unstoppable for the few minutes she was in there), and at one point both she and Abbie Wolf has two fouls-- in the first quarter! Fortunately, Abbie had the game of her life with 17 points and 13 rebounds, which was desperately needed down two starters. Had the chance to win in regulation but Pulliam missed a tough shot to win then as well (otherwise, she has her usual stellar game, with 22 points). Jordan Hamilton had 18, but missed two critical free throws when we were up two in regulation late, which then allowed Michigan to tie.

Great game, but tough one to lose. We drop to 2-2 in conference and 9-6 overall

Reactions: Alvious
In OT, 79-78 on the road vs. Michigan, where Jordan Hamilton's potential game winning runner hit the rim twice and bounced out. Also lost Abi Scheid to an ankle injury caused by an undercut which the clueless refs somehow called an offensive foul to add insult to injury. It did not look good, but she did return to the bench without crutches.

Insane game of runs and officials who could not keep up, doing the best to slow down the game by calling as many fouls as humanly possible. Pallas barely played half the game before fouling out (still had 12 points though, as she was unstoppable for the few minutes she was in there), and at one point both she and Abbie Wolf has two fouls-- in the first quarter! Fortunately, Abbie had the game of her life with 17 points and 13 rebounds, which was desperately needed down two starters. Had the chance to win in regulation but Pulliam missed a tough shot to win then as well (otherwise, she has her usual stellar game, with 22 points). Jordan Hamilton had 18, but missed two critical free throws when we were up two in regulation late, which then allowed Michigan to tie.

Great game, but tough one to lose. We drop to 2-2 in conference and 9-6 overall

We could literally use this thread title for the latest loss. No Abi Scheid versus Purdue. And a great comeback by the Lady Cats falls short.

Down by as many as 13 points in the 3rd quarter, the Cats scratched their way back into the game and were down by just 1 point with 17 ticks left. Purdue then messed up an inbounds play and the Cats had the ball with a chance to win. Pulliam just missed the go-ahead shot. Purdue made two meaningless free throws to finalize the score at 57-54.

That's three B1G losses by a combined 8 points. Overall at 9-7, we should be doing a lot better.

If the Cats can get healthy, NU will make some noise. Probably not quite good enough to do anything special and they lose a future pro to graduation after this season. Failing to get over the hump and continually being plagued by injuries are two traits of a typical McKeown team at NU, though the two qualities are not entirely independent. It might be time for a new face for the program, especially with some good talent on the roster. The ladies' version of a Coach Collins could take these players and do something significant.

We could literally use this thread title for the latest loss. No Abi Scheid versus Purdue. And a great comeback by the Lady Cats falls short.

Down by as many as 13 points in the 3rd quarter, the Cats scratched their way back into the game and were down by just 1 point with 17 ticks left. Purdue then messed up an inbounds play and the Cats had the ball with a chance to win. Pulliam just missed the go-ahead shot. Purdue made two meaningless free throws to finalize the score at 57-54.

That's three B1G losses by a combined 8 points. Overall at 9-7, we should be doing a lot better.

If the Cats can get healthy, NU will make some noise. Probably not quite good enough to do anything special and they lose a future pro to graduation after this season. Failing to get over the hump and continually being plagued by injuries are two traits of a typical McKeown team at NU, though the two qualities are not entirely independent. It might be time for a new face for the program, especially with some good talent on the roster. The ladies' version of a Coach Collins could take these players and do something significant.
Failing to get over the hump and continually being plagued by injuries are two traits of a typical McKeown team at NU, though the two qualities are not entirely independent. It might be time for a new face for the program, especially with some good talent on the roster. The ladies' version of a Coach Collins could take these players and do something significant

I'm thinking McKeown IS the ladies' version of a Coach Collins. Just a longer tenured one.

I was at this game and I have one question. Do they always make everyone sit on the same side of the arena?
I didn't go to any ETHS games last year. Did you? Were they better attended? Attendance has been pretty bad at every NU women's game that I have attended, even the WNIT ones.

Anyway don't they seat everybody like that to make the crowd easier to manage and make it more presentable?

I'm thinking McKeown IS the ladies' version of a Coach Collins. Just a longer tenured one.

I think it's much, much easier to build a women's basketball program at a prestigious school than it is to build a men's program. McKeown has built a below average to average B1G program, which is commendable because we were really, really bad before him. Nonetheless, he's not going to take us to B1G titles. He's just not. I mean, it's not like the guy lacks excuses (injuries), but eventually you have to realize he's on the verge of retirement age, the team isn't going to win the conference this year, and next year we won't be as good as we are today. You don't lose Pallas and get better. (Well, unless you recruit somebody even better than a future WNBA player and that's a tall order.)

I didn't look at the box score but I'd guess the crowd was around 1000, which is much larger than the typical crowd pre-renovation.

I think herding the crowd together had a positive effect on the energy in the building, plus I'm sure it looked better on tv. I'm just wondering if they do it for every game.

I didn't look at the box score but I'd guess the crowd was around 1000, which is much larger than the typical crowd pre-renovation.

I think herding the crowd together had a positive effect on the energy in the building, plus I'm sure it looked better on tv. I'm just wondering if they do it for every game.

Every game I've been to. Maybe mike can chime in. He has probably been to more than I have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT