ADVERTISEMENT

Worst Game Day Experience I've Had In a While

FitzFan

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2008
Chicago
And that extends beyond the play on the field.

The new concessions are beyond awful. Every upper level stand on the west side of the field was selling the same 7 items: a hotdog, nachos, pretzel, soda, water, sour patch kids, and doritos. What was the point of changing vendors if you're just going to cut the selection by 50%? The prepared food isn't any better, so the explanation of "enhancing the game day experience" seems to be absolute BS.

It's hard to find any common ground between younger and older generations these days, but everyone I talked to–students, faculty, and fans–agreed that the DJs were a dumb gimmick that added nothing to the atmosphere in the stadium. It's the same level of cringe as "put your hand up in the air."

The timeout promotions continue to be shit. Every year I've sent in the same complaint to the marketing department–why the hell do we continue to run the "call of the game" promotion when we're getting crushed or when the game is close. It's embarrassing and completely unnecessary. The BWW race is another lackluster promotion that does nothing to pump up the crowd because everyone knows it's scripted. The 5-year-old kid behind me even asked his dad, "Dad, why aren't they trying?" At least have them actually race. Do what the Brewers do–have game day employees suit up and race, with the winner getting sent home early with pay. At least that makes it exciting! No internet cats today, either, which seems to be the only promotional gimmick that people enjoy.

And then we get to the play on the field. My god, was that uninspiring. This game alone should land Mick McCall back on the hot seat. Everyone seems to be blaming the O-line after Hance went out, but I think I recall him leaving late in the 3rd? The offense was just as predictable and bland before he left as it was after he left. It's just a boring, uninspiring brand of football that contributes to the lack of atmosphere and fan support. We haven't scored a TD on a regular, non-scripted possession this year. All of our points have come on scripted drives at the beginning of games, or on short fields after turnovers. We have trouble sustaining long drives because all of our plays go for 2-4 yards.

Fitz isn't without a ton of blame, either. Going for it on 4th and 8 at Duke's 40 was pretty dumb–that set up their last TD just before the half. In fact he went for it on 4th and long all day until 7 minutes left in the 4th, and THEN he decides to punt. Kuhbander's confidence has got to be shot, at this point. Fitz won't let the poor kid kick. He doesn't seem to understand momentum, or keeping the crowd in the game, and he continues to display horrible clock management.

It was just an all around crap day. I'm going to continue drinking to try and forget what I saw on the field.

/rant over

That about sums it up. At least the game was relatively quick. Had a good crowd that kinda wanted to be into it, too. Just a yuck experience today.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
And that extends beyond the play on the field.

The new concessions are beyond awful. Every upper level stand on the west side of the field was selling the same 7 items: a hotdog, nachos, pretzel, soda, water, sour patch kids, and doritos. What was the point of changing vendors if you're just going to cut the selection by 50%? The prepared food isn't any better, so the explanation of "enhancing the game day experience" seems to be absolute BS.

It's hard to find any common ground between younger and older generations these days, but everyone I talked to–students, faculty, and fans–agreed that the DJs were a dumb gimmick that added nothing to the atmosphere in the stadium. It's the same level of cringe as "put your hand up in the air."

The timeout promotions continue to be shit. Every year I've sent in the same complaint to the marketing department–why the hell do we continue to run the "call of the game" promotion when we're getting crushed or when the game is close. It's embarrassing and completely unnecessary. The BWW race is another lackluster promotion that does nothing to pump up the crowd because everyone knows it's scripted. The 5-year-old kid behind me even asked his dad, "Dad, why aren't they trying?" At least have them actually race. Do what the Brewers do–have game day employees suit up and race, with the winner getting sent home early with pay. At least that makes it exciting! No internet cats today, either, which seems to be the only promotional gimmick that people enjoy.

And then we get to the play on the field. My god, was that uninspiring. This game alone should land Mick McCall back on the hot seat. Everyone seems to be blaming the O-line after Hance went out, but I think I recall him leaving late in the 3rd? The offense was just as predictable and bland before he left as it was after he left. It's just a boring, uninspiring brand of football that contributes to the lack of atmosphere and fan support. We haven't scored a TD on a regular, non-scripted possession this year. All of our points have come on scripted drives at the beginning of games, or on short fields after turnovers. We have trouble sustaining long drives because all of our plays go for 2-4 yards.

Fitz isn't without a ton of blame, either. Going for it on 4th and 8 at Duke's 40 was pretty dumb–that set up their last TD just before the half. In fact he went for it on 4th and long all day until 7 minutes left in the 4th, and THEN he decides to punt. Kuhbander's confidence has got to be shot, at this point. Fitz won't let the poor kid kick. He doesn't seem to understand momentum, or keeping the crowd in the game, and he continues to display horrible clock management.

It was just an all around crap day. I'm going to continue drinking to try and forget what I saw on the field.

/rant over

Any chance you sit toward the back of section 129?

Spot on with regards to concessions. I don't get it as teams now are moving towards improving the fan experience. We always joke about concessions but last year was first year for positive change. I'm in 128 and last year there were stands above me that served fairly tasty "sliders" (prime rib and chicken salad) as well as chicken wings. This year they don't even offer a polish??? In past years the big grill under west stands offered foot long polishes, pulled pork nachos among others. This year they didn't even offer chopped onions as a condiment. Is this the slop they're going to be serving in the new W-R?? I'm definitely writing my AE and Development rep.

I wasn't going to be in the market for concessions today anyway, but yeah, I agree. I took a look just to see what the changes were like - and looks like somebody half-assed it for five minutes to come up with the menus.

I won't be in the market for the rest of the games, either. Prices didn't look too bad. I had to laugh though. $7 cheeseburger, I guess that's ok. Double cheeseburger $12. I guess they use hand-fed wagyu beef for the second patty.

Reactions: nu greek
I would not call it the worst gameday experience ever, but it was something of a disappointment. The concession stands on the east side seemed to have fewer menu options (compared to previous years) and the quality seemed no better than before. My biggest complaint is that only bottled soda was available, no soda fountain drinks. Since I prefer a large size fountain drink with plenty of ice, that was a bummer.

Fitz isn't without a ton of blame, either. Going for it on 4th and 8 at Duke's 40 was pretty dumb–that set up their last TD just before the half.
Absolutely stupid.

And the 40 yard line is actually the perfect place for us to punt from! A 30-yard punt out of bounds (as we tend to do) is exactly what we need from the 40 yard line, backing Duke up to the 10!

Yes, that was the pivotal moment of the game, as far as I'm concerned. Make Duke march the length of the field and maybe they don't score a touchdown. If we could have kept it within one score, things might have been different. (We couldn't punch it in the end zone, but maybe we kick some field goals all those times we were in field goal range.)

Reactions: drewjin
The concessions were terrible. The Johns are still small and it’s going to be a big problem when there are people actually at the game. The in game promotions are embarrassing. The parking lot guys didn’t know what they were doing. They came and picked up the garbage cans 30 minutes after the game. The DJ didn’t do anything to prevent me from nodding off in the second half. Besides that, everything was great.

Absolutely stupid.

And the 40 yard line is actually the perfect place for us to punt from! A 30-yard punt out of bounds (as we tend to do) is exactly what we need from the 40 yard line, backing Duke up to the 10!

Yes, that was the pivotal moment of the game, as far as I'm concerned. Make Duke march the length of the field and maybe they don't score a touchdown. If we could have kept it within one score, things might have been different. (We couldn't punch it in the end zone, but maybe we kick some field goals all those times we were in field goal range.)
I agree. Hold them to 14 points in the 1st half and I think the team would've played with a greater sense of urgency, especially if we take even one of those field goal opportunities in the 2nd half. I think the crowd would've been much more involved in the game, as well. It's difficult to maintain a home field advantage when you don't give the crowd much to cheer for.

Any chance you sit toward the back of section 129?
Also, my mistake. Just checked my ticket. We are technically in section 129, but we use the section 130 entrance. I'm section 29, row 60. I'm a 27 year old dude who doesn't really yell a lot during games, so I don't think I'm the guy you think I am. However, if the guy you're thinking of is a 27 year old guy in a Pat Fitzgerald jersey, stop by and say hi.

Also, my mistake. Just checked my ticket. We are technically in section 129, but we use the section 130 entrance. I'm section 29, row 60. I'm a 27 year old dude who doesn't really yell a lot during games, so I don't think I'm the guy you think I am. However, if the guy you're thinking of is a 27 year old guy in a Pat Fitzgerald jersey, stop by and say hi.

Only asked because there was some dude vociferously voicing many similar throughout the game toward the back of 129. Really makes for a great game day experience.

Only asked because there was some dude vociferously voicing many similar throughout the game toward the back of 129. Really makes for a great game day experience.
It's not me, as far as I'm aware. I keep to myself during games––too anxious to piss off anyone around me :).

This is the kind of s*** I'm talking about when it comes to lame promotions. This was on the back of the "coupon card" that everyone gets at the beginning of the game...
DmljLT6W4AALo3B.jpg

"If Northwestern does not score..." Seriously?

Also, it was "heroes day." Did we do anything for heroes besides bringing the WW2 vet onto the field? I arrived after the anthem, so maybe I missed something before the game?

This is the kind of s*** I'm talking about when it comes to lame promotions. This was on the back of the "coupon card" that everyone gets at the beginning of the game...
DmljLT6W4AALo3B.jpg

Also, it was "heroes day." Did we do anything for heroes besides bringing the WW2 vet onto the field? I arrived after the anthem, so maybe I missed something before the game?
We colored the N on the field in stars and stripes.

DmljLT6W4AALo3B.jpg

We didn't wear our blood-splattered gloves.

DmljLT6W4AALo3B.jpg

The front of the card gave a free flatbread if they did score. So it’s a win/win card.

We did enough for heroes day. Though I’d have preferred a cosplay parade.

The front of the card gave a free flatbread if they did score. So it’s a win/win card.

We did enough for heroes day. Though I’d have preferred a cosplay parade.

Seriously? Leave it to NU fans to complain about a literal “win-win.”

I agree with everything in the OP. I shouldn't have driven three hours each way to go to the game. I would have been so much happier watching good games from the Lay-Z-Boy.

East side concessions were awful. I understand that the under-south stands concessions were much worse as well.

You know, it's odd. People in our section very seldom eat food. Now you have me wondering. Is it the poor quality concessions, or the lack of variety, or do they actually, you know, want to watch the game?

On a positive note, the kids at the concessions are very friendly. They usually greet me as I walk by.

The DJ nonsense has to go. Why can't we have a little quiet between plays to discuss the game with our friends without being drowned out with random noise? It really detracts from being able to concentrate on the game.

Reactions: drewjin
The DJ nonsense has to go. Why can't we have a little quiet between plays to discuss the game with our friends without being drowned out with random noise? It really detracts from being able to concentrate on the game.

Because College Football has gone this route at various schools across the country. Face it, we could still have “Stand Up....it’s the 4th QT”

You’re being serious?

I have to echo the horrendous concession offerings. To me they went with the lowest bidder who basically cafeteirialiized the concessions. The SE side used to have relatively decent freshly made offerings. That is gone half of that area now is empty. I had a hot dog that was pulled from a cabinet that was wrapped up for who knows how many hours. Expensive bottled Coke. Last weekend I bought my final concession items until there is some change.

Almost felt to me like they went with a narrow list of options as a “dry run” on logistics with the new company. Hoping they ramp it up over the rest of the season.

I did not mind the DJ but then I sit on the west side. My kid was next to the DJ in the student section and he said it was awful because (1) the sound comes from two sources, a speaker in the DJ stand and the stadium speakers and they were not synched and (2) the sound bounced off the west side.

I have to echo the horrendous concession offerings. To me they went with the lowest bidder who basically cafeteirialiized the concessions. The SE side used to have relatively decent freshly made offerings. That is gone half of that area now is empty. I had a hot dog that was pulled from a cabinet that was wrapped up for who knows how many hours. Expensive bottled Coke. Last weekend I bought my final concession items until there is some change.

Agreed. In my section they even got rid of the condiment dispensers in lieu of giant boxes of ketchup and mustard packets.

In the recent past I have received an e-mail survey about the game experience after each game (or nearly so). Not this time. Anybody receive one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT