ADVERTISEMENT

Wow. What a turnaround.

Alan Smithee

Aug 13, 2002
They got a lot of help from Providence (the school, that is), but what an extraordinary difference in effort from game 1.

They got sloppy - but still showed grit in holding off a much more experienced team after seeing the 20-point lead whittled down to 3.

As discouraging as the last game was, I appreciate the response. They have a long way to go but have seen what much greater effort can do, especially if they limit the turnovers.

They got a lot of help from Providence (the school, that is), but what an extraordinary difference in effort from game 1.

They got sloppy - but still showed grit in holding off a much more experienced team after seeing the 20-point lead whittled down to 3.

As discouraging as the last game was, I appreciate the response. They have a long way to go but have seen what much greater effort can do, especially if they limit the turnovers.

I loved the energy. Turnovers will drive you crazy with a young team--and cost us games...but if the team can continue to play with that kind of energy, I can handle watching the team battle and grow in a "rebuilding" year. Go 'Cats!

I loved the energy. Turnovers will drive you crazy with a young team--and cost us games...but if the team can continue to play with that kind of energy, I can handle watching the team battle and grow in a "rebuilding" year. Go 'Cats!
Young looking good

Amen to the others’ comments above. What I also appreciated was what DIDN'T happen. Too often in the past when momentum swung to a perceived “better team" coming down the stretch, there’d been a downward spiral, with wheels coming off in all directions. Tensing up, brain farts, silly fouls, unforced errors, errant passes, travellng, messed up inbounding plays, getting boxed into a corner, inability to break a press, time line violations. Missed bunnies, clanked free throws. Everything you have to avoid to protect a lead or to stay even. Confession: I was ready to see me some deja vu tonight. I figured it would come crashing down in the final gut-wrenching slipping-away minutes. I’m grateful to the guys on the floor who didn’t “step in it”. Instead, they gutted it out with enough poise to hold the lead all the way to 0:00. So satisfying, and such a potential confidence builder.

Amen to the others’ comments above. What I also appreciated was what DIDN'T happen. Too often in the past when momentum swung to a perceived “better team" coming down the stretch, there’d been a downward spiral, with wheels coming off in all directions. Tensing up, brain farts, silly fouls, unforced errors, errant passes, travellng, messed up inbounding plays, getting boxed into a corner, inability to break a press, time line violations. Missed bunnies, clanked free throws. Everything you have to avoid to protect a lead or to stay even. Confession: I was ready to see me some deja vu tonight. I figured it would come crashing down in the final gut-wrenching slipping-away minutes. I’m grateful to the guys on the floor who didn’t “step in it”. Instead, they gutted it out with enough poise to hold the lead all the way to 0:00. So satisfying, and such a potential confidence builder.
There actually were a few unforced errors and silly fouls (that Young over the back foul had me suppressing a scream), but what I never sensed was the tensing up. And they also were able to repeatedly break the press which was huge (and so pleasantly unusual to watch from NU).

There actually were a few unforced errors and silly fouls (that Young over the back foul had me suppressing a scream), but what I never sensed was the tensing up. And they also were able to repeatedly break the press which was huge (and so pleasantly unusual to watch from NU).

So they pass it into Nance who is 6 10. He doesn't panic, he looks. He can either throw it over the defender w little difficulty, or, if they sag off, put the ball on the floor.

I will say that last night NU used ever second to get it over half court.

Gaines has improved his handle a tad.

We need a competitive program after the botched football program.

Is it just me or was the disappointing football season a factor in the blowup of the board after one game?

I know someone is going to rationalize how bad the game was to make their argument. And it was, but it was really nuts after one game.

This year is going to be a roller coaster. Better strap in.

Is it just me or was the disappointing football season a factor in the blowup of the board after one game?

I know someone is going to rationalize how bad the game was to make their argument. And it was, but it was really nuts after one game.

I am still perplexed about the offense and what we saw of it against Merrimack. And I'd bet the ranch we'll see that again real soon.

... Gaines has improved his handle a tad.

Is there a guard or wing who scares you more when he puts the ball on the floor against pressure?

For me, the answer is no. I'm two three games away from saying I'd rather have Nance bring it against his man. I'm not there yet.

Reactions: benoitdenizetl
Is there a guard or wing who scares you more when he puts the ball on the floor against pressure?

For me, the answer is no. I'm two three games away from saying I'd rather have Nance bring it against his man. I'm not there yet.
Spencer has the best handle on the team. He got picked a few times but he seems to be the only guy who can break down a press off the dribble.

Amen to the others’ comments above. What I also appreciated was what DIDN'T happen. Too often in the past when momentum swung to a perceived “better team" coming down the stretch, there’d been a downward spiral, with wheels coming off in all directions. Tensing up, brain farts, silly fouls, unforced errors, errant passes, travellng, messed up inbounding plays, getting boxed into a corner, inability to break a press, time line violations. Missed bunnies, clanked free throws. Everything you have to avoid to protect a lead or to stay even.

Basically every single one of those things happened, but NU was ahead by such a wide margin that it didn't cost them the lead. And, importantly, they pulled out of that tailspin in the last couple minutes.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
Basically every single one of those things happened, but NU was ahead by such a wide margin that it didn't cost them the lead. And, importantly, they pulled out of that tailspin in the last couple minutes.
we'll they are still hurting at LG. While Spencer is a nice added piece he just loses the ball way to much. If Greer is not going to see much time, hopefully Buie will grow into that spot.

I am still perplexed about the offense and what we saw of it against Merrimack. And I'd bet the ranch we'll see that again real soon.

Actually, I like the foundation of that offense that we saw against Merimack. Most of the evening ran out of a high-low set that we barely ever saw last year. I think it's a good idea with the size of Nance, Young, Beran and even Jones. It obviously plays into the idea that Yound could be a good passer also. But obviously it wasn't as smooth as they would have liked. Hopefully the kinks can be worked out in practice.

It's so obvious how the offense dies when they don't work inside somehow (driving/post play). You saw it for a short time in the second half last night. When the Cats start relying on threes, that's when the trouble begins.

No, even if FB was good, this board will over react to both wins and losses. It is human nature.

Didn’t see the first game, but being there last night you can see there is some hope. As long as CCC mixes his D’s. We will see what he has this year. Yesterday, he did a great job.

I doubt we will have a very good record this year. One thing I would bet on for this year, is we have a few more inexplicable losses and a couple of surprises too. The board will go nuts in both cases.

No. For me, seeing the performance against Merrimack on the heals of two seasons where play was below expectations and the team seemed flat many nights was the issue and remains the issue. The sample size on substandard play since the NCAA appearance is large, the efforts like last night are rare. Last night was reaffirming of the few positives I saw in the first game with the bigs but still showed a lack of the ball handler and some other issues. Clearly the core of the team is a year away. The only plus for me is after the last game, I was hopeless, now I have hope that this group will not repeat the lackluster performances of the last two years every night.

Agreed Smithee! As the game wore on, it became more and more apparent why the starting 5 was the starting 5. Both Jones and Bouie need a lot of work. The most significant concern for me, though, was the terrible rebounding. Rebounding has very little to do with jumping ability - it's all about anticipation, positioning and blocking out. The other major concern was ball handling. The 3 point shooting fell of badly in the 2d half, but it kept us in the game in the first half. I think Beran is going to be a major contributor this year, and Spencer, Gaines Nance and Young will be pretty solid as well.

No. For me, seeing the performance against Merrimack on the heals of two seasons where play was below expectations and the team seemed flat many nights was the issue and remains the issue. The sample size on substandard play since the NCAA appearance is large, the efforts like last night are rare. Last night was reaffirming of the few positives I saw in the first game with the bigs but still showed a lack of the ball handler and some other issues. Clearly the core of the team is a year away. The only plus for me is after the last game, I was hopeless, now I have hope that this group will not repeat the lackluster performances of the last two years every night.
Well they sure didn't look flat last night, actually just the opposite, thus I don't thing that will be an issue.

Young had a solid game ans showed a few things but that foul....

No, even if FB was good, this board will over react to both wins and losses. It is human nature.

Didn’t see the first game, but being there last night you can see there is some hope. As long as CCC mixes his D’s. We will see what he has this year. Yesterday, he did a great job.

I doubt we will have a very good record this year. One thing I would bet on for this year, is we have a few more inexplicable losses and a couple of surprises too. The board will go nuts in both cases.
Seeing the first game was quite impactful. So too was seeing the second game. The first showed the floor was even lower than many thought; the second showed the ceiling higher than many thought.

Young's play was very impressive last night. He battled toe to toe with the experienced bigs from Providence. Also saw his interview with Andy Katz following the game. He is humble, articulate and well spoken. It will be fun to watch his continued development over the next few years.

Down the stretch, the defensive rebounding improved as we held Providence to one missed shot several times when the margin was in single digits. We actually outrebounded them 42-41 (because of all their missed shots).

The most significant concern for me, though, was the terrible rebounding. Rebounding has very little to do with jumping ability - it's all about anticipation, positioning and blocking out.

There is surely a lot of room for improvement to be made in the rebounding department. However, it is well acknowledged that defensive rebounding suffers when you play zone defense. It is a combination of the floor spacing and the fact that each defensive player does not have an assigned offensive player to find and box out when a shot goes up.

With our length, I like going with a zone defense--and it's an area where the 'Cats have excelled under Collins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT