ADVERTISEMENT

Wrigley game is set for 2020

Enjoy . I won't be there. Worst place in the world to watch a football game. May be fine for you youngsters with the Wrigleyville environment. If it's part of the season ticket package, I'll have 12 tickets available.

Enjoy . I won't be there. Worst place in the world to watch a football game. May be fine for you youngsters with the Wrigleyville environment. If it's part of the season ticket package, I'll have 12 tickets available.
Really? None of the other eleven want to go? I don't believe that. Are you using your veto power over them because you're petulant over Wrigley?

I've heard this from some other 'older fans'. Wrigley is just too much of a party for their tastes, harder to get to and is guaranteed to be a packed house, something they don't even like at Ryan Field.

While I will LOVE having a game at Wrigley each year, largely for the same reasons they hate it, and think these same reasons will play very well with recruits, I hope this game is NOT a part of the season tix package as I don't think these types of fans should have to buy it. Also, these fans will likely be flooding the secondary market with their tickets, contributing to a growing non-NU supporting fan base at the game.

Reactions: willycat
The older fans think standing up and clapping is too much.

You may find this hard to believe but older fans' hands and voices still work when seated-younger fans should try this rather than standing in front of kids and shorter adults, preventing them from seeing the game

Next time you are at Ryan, try it, Stay seated and see if you can yell and clap your hands-it is almost like walking and chewing gum, most people can do it

Sorry, but there is nothing like seeing a crowd come to its feet at a big moment in a game. I was watching the highlights from the NU win over Iowa in hoops last night. The NU highlights have some different camera angles so you can see the crowd. When Lindsay made that steal and breakaway dunk late in the game, the whole arena should have been on their feet - yet the shot in the highlight clip sure looked like most of the fans on the sides were seated and clapping politely. That moment may have marked the birth of NU basketball greatness (we'll find out over the next two months). It was a moment to stand, young and old.

You may find this hard to believe but older fans' hands and voices still work when seated-younger fans should try this rather than standing in front of kids and shorter adults, preventing them from seeing the game

Next time you are at Ryan, try it, Stay seated and see if you can yell and clap your hands-it is almost like walking and chewing gum, most people can do it

Make Old Fans Great Again.

Sorry, but there is nothing like seeing a crowd come to its feet at a big moment in a game. I was watching the highlights from the NU win over Iowa in hoops last night. The NU highlights have some different camera angles so you can see the crowd. When Lindsay made that steal and breakaway dunk late in the game, the whole arena should have been on their feet - yet the shot in the highlight clip sure looked like most of the fans on the sides were seated and clapping politely. That moment may have marked the birth of NU basketball greatness (we'll find out over the next two months). It was a moment to stand, young and old.

But but but...hey, down in front!

Make Old Fans Great Again.
Now you're talking! I've always been great, generally on my feet shouting and intolerant of those who don't. Really, I have not interest in listening to any more b.s. on this subject!

Now you're talking! I've always been great, generally on my feet shouting and intolerant of those who don't. Really, I have not interest in listening to any more b.s. on this subject!

What exactly is intolerance? I'm pretty sure we are all tolerating those around us at games, unless we leave or get others thrown out.

What exactly is intolerance? I'm pretty sure we are all tolerating those around us at games, unless we leave or get others thrown out.
I don't leave or get others thrown out. I'm intolerant in the sense that when people tell me to sit down, I pay no attention to them.

Reactions: Fitz51
I've heard this from some other 'older fans'. Wrigley is just too much of a party for their tastes, harder to get to and is guaranteed to be a packed house, something they don't even like at Ryan Field.

While I will LOVE having a game at Wrigley each year, largely for the same reasons they hate it, and think these same reasons will play very well with recruits, I hope this game is NOT a part of the season tix package as I don't think these types of fans should have to buy it. Also, these fans will likely be flooding the secondary market with their tickets, contributing to a growing non-NU supporting fan base at the game.

The concerns that I've heard more frequently were more along the lines of horrible sight lines, even for the expensive seats.

Reactions: julescat
I don't leave or get others thrown out. I'm intolerant in the sense that when people tell me to sit down, I pay no attention to them.

Let's see, I do not remember standing during the Bulls Championship runs from 1991 to 1993 in the old stadium. I do not recall seeing fans standing during the Blackhawk playoff runs. All those crowds really screwed up in not being loud enough. I have gone to other stadiums where they stand the entire game and I always ask this question, "Why did they put in seats? Why not just remove them?"

I think this is another case of people having inadequacies in other areas which leads them to boast, " I am a bigger fan because I stand and cheer without regard of how selfish they are to others around them. Further, I notice most of standers near my seats for basketball and football are nowhere to be found when the game is against West Michigan, Illinois State or Illinois in football this past year or are never in the stands at Welsh-Ryan when the games are against Mt. Saint Mary's, Central Connecticut State, Chicago State or Central Connecticut State. This has been my anecdotal experience.

As to the topic of this thread, Friday night football is a big pain in the rear end since I have one playing in high school and it takes away from game experience of tailgating. This really pisses me off. I have the same feeling about Wrigley. Why do we need to play down there? Too early to decide if I would go, but I would lean against it. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
The concerns that I've heard more frequently were more along the lines of horrible sight lines, even for the expensive seats.

Well, I've always sat between the 35s, both my season tickets and tickets I buy when I travel. At Wrigley, or even Yankee Stadium, it's going to have bad lines. No real way around that in a baseball stadium. For me, the atmosphere of these games trumps the inconvenience of the lesser views. We're we to move permanently to Wrigley, I'd be staunchly against. But a once a year party in what is arguably the best local sports environment in the country? I'll take it. Seeing Wrigley and the neighborhood all done up in NU colors and paraphernalia was magical for a long time Cubs fan. My two favorite teams.

As far as people having inadequacies in other areas, those people deserve your sympathy not your scorn. And considering all the truly harmful things that they could be doing to compensate for those inadequacies, I'd say standing and cheering like crazy for the Wildcats is a pretty solid choice. Perhaps, it is you, Catfans5, who is the selfish one for resenting these poor, inadequate folks who are just trying to squeeze a little joy out of their sad, lonely lives.

Let's see, I do not remember standing during the Bulls Championship runs from 1991 to 1993 in the old stadium. I do not recall seeing fans standing during the Blackhawk playoff runs. All those crowds really screwed up in not being loud enough.

Very few people (apart from students) stand up during live game action at basketball games. Lots of people leap to their feet after big shots or highlight reel dunks, or stand up and cheer right after the opposing team takes a time out to stop a run by the home team.

I think this is another case of people having inadequacies in other areas which leads them to boast, " I am a bigger fan because I stand a cheer" without regard of how selfish they are to others around them.

Or they're excited by a big moment in the game and have jumped to their feet.

Further, I notice most of standers near my seats for basketball and football are nowhere to be found when the game is against West Michigan, Illinois State or Illinois in football this past year or are never in the stands at Welsh-Ryan when the games are against Mt. Saint Mary's, Central Connecticut State, Chicago State or Central Connecticut State. This has been my anecdotal experience.

Why does that matter?

As to the topic of this thread, Friday night football is a big pain in the rear end since I have one playing in high school and it takes away from game experience of tailgating. This really pisses me off.

Then don't go! You're not required to attend every single game.

I have the same feeling about Wrigley. Why do we need to play down there? Too early to decide if I would go, but I would lean against it. Been there, done that.

Why do we need to play down there? Because lots of people that aren't like you do want to go. And that's not a criticism of you or of them - it's just the reality that different fans have different priorities, and no scheduling decision is going to make everyone happy.

Let's see, I do not remember standing during the Bulls Championship runs from 1991 to 1993 in the old stadium. I do not recall seeing fans standing during the Blackhawk playoff runs. All those crowds really screwed up in not being loud enough. I have gone to other stadiums where they stand the entire game and I always ask this question, "Why did they put in seats? Why not just remove them?"

I think this is another case of people having inadequacies in other areas which leads them to boast, " I am a bigger fan because I stand a cheer" without regard of how selfish they are to others around them. Further, I notice most of standers near my seats for basketball and football are nowhere to be found when the game is against West Michigan, Illinois State or Illinois in football this past year or are never in the stands at Welsh-Ryan when the games are against Mt. Saint Mary's, Central Connecticut State, Chicago State or Central Connecticut State. This has been my anecdotal experience.

As to the topic of this thread, Friday night football is a big pain in the rear end since I have one playing in high school and it takes away from game experience of tailgating. This really pisses me off. I have the same feeling about Wrigley. Why do we need to play down there? Too early to decide if I would go, but I would lean against it. Been there, done that.
I don't think anyone here is talking about standing the entire game. I think most people are referring to the fact that it adds energy to the stadium/arena when folks stand for a big play/moment in the game yet NU fans tend not to do even that consistently.

I don't think anyone here is talking about standing the entire game. I think most people are referring to the fact that it adds energy to the stadium/arena when folks stand for a big play/moment in the game yet NU fans tend not to do even that consistently.

Exactly. I most definitely am years past my standing the whole game phase, but looking over near the 50 and seeing everyone sitting at huge moments is really crappy.

I have no argument or problem with jumping up in excitement during a play or after a big play. However, there are some who will stand most of the game and this occurs at other schools and is not an indication of being a better fan.

Styre's Quote
"Why do we need to play down there? Because lots of people that aren't like you do want to go. And that's not a criticism of you or of them - it's just the reality that different fans have different priorities, and no scheduling decision is going to make everyone happy."

I guess it is a charm to go there and may be a novelty to play a game there once every ten years, but Soldier Field against Illinois was a much better venue for actual football viewing, rather than Wrigley which had awful sight lines.

As far as Wrigley, I have no problems with moving a game there every 3,4 years. If it creates excitement it's a good thing. Any more than every 3,4 years if would become "the norm" , kind of like the hockey matches outdoors that created so much of a buzz but now it's "so yesterday".

As far as standing and cheering, I'm 53 and I'd like to see it and participate when at the right time, such as a 3rd down and our defense needs inspiration. I can understand it works both ways; I've been at games when the ball carrier (not JJ) get 4 yards and the clown in front of me stood up like we won the game. Ahhhhh, the power of beer!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT