ADVERTISEMENT

Wrinkle to the Bucknuts' stands chant of...

The_Waterboy

May 29, 2001
O-H-I-O...

Once the circuitous chant of O - H began in Q4, my long-time 'Cat fan bud and I seated in section 129 stood and shouted:
F - U.
The "Cat faithful seated around us gave a hearty laugh at that improvisation. On the next go-around, a couple of the folks seated next to us picked-up the F - U response. More laughs and a few even applauded. On the 3rd cycle, we got about another 2 dozen intrepid 'Cat fans to join-in on the F - U reply. More laughs and a greater applause. This F - U reply lasted about another 4- 5 cycles then began to fade-out as expected after that.

I wonder if I should go on other message boards of Da Bucknuts' upcoming B1G opponents and make the suggestion of this alternative spelling to the O - H - I - O chant. I'm thinking that it might be the start of an ever-increasing trend in OSU opponents throughout the B1G, especially those hailing from Annie's Treehouse.

Good Idea or should I just let it fade? Your suggestions/responses are welcome...

Let it fade. Yes, it is funny, for a moment, but long term, it makes us look like a bunch of spoiled brats, in my opinion. Believe me when I say this, the OSU fans do not care one iota about what NU fans chant. Why give them something to disdain?

Reactions: rmndcat
1. Get ready for ILL INI......but what kind of fan base (OSU) come to game not just expecting to outnumber and make the other fan base feel humiliated? Thanks for our team to standing up and limiting their adolescent bs to one quarter.......

Not sure the reason for disdain of OSU fans. Obviously on Saturday I was surrounded by them lol. Talked with quite a few of them in the lot and in the stands. Everything was friendly, lots of Justin Fields discussion.

Not sure the reason for disdain of OSU fans. Obviously on Saturday I was surrounded by them lol. Talked with quite a few of them in the lot and in the stands. Everything was friendly, lots of Justin Fields discussion.
What was the ratio of OSU fans on Saturday? Was it more than it usually is because of NU fans tapping out?

What is sad is that NU has nothing. The Go U-NU was stupid. The claws look stupid. This is a tradition-less program which is why we have a DJ in the student section. Nebraska has a thing, MSU has a thing, even the Gophers do. Tried purple towels a few years ago. Nothing.

I've seen more spirit at Division III games (try going to Wheaton College or North Central games in Naperville.)

But we are 1-8. And we were apathetic long before this losing streak and nobody feared 'cats fans.

O-H-I-O...

Once the circuitous chant of O - H began in Q4, my long-time 'Cat fan bud and I seated in section 129 stood and shouted:
F - U.
The "Cat faithful seated around us gave a hearty laugh at that improvisation. On the next go-around, a couple of the folks seated next to us picked-up the F - U response. More laughs and a few even applauded. On the 3rd cycle, we got about another 2 dozen intrepid 'Cat fans to join-in on the F - U reply. More laughs and a greater applause. This F - U reply lasted about another 4- 5 cycles then began to fade-out as expected after that.

I wonder if I should go on other message boards of Da Bucknuts' upcoming B1G opponents and make the suggestion of this alternative spelling to the O - H - I - O chant. I'm thinking that it might be the start of an ever-increasing trend in OSU opponents throughout the B1G, especially those hailing from Annie's Treehouse.
Start wearing purple, wearing purple!

Good Idea or should I just let it fade? Your suggestions/responses are welcome...
Made me think of my wife’s high school team and their biggest rival- Fairfield Union.
Their fans would yell out, “F-U”, which of course had a double meaning.
So her school started yelling back, “C-K-Y-O-U!!”

Made me think of my wife’s high school team and their biggest rival- Fairfield Union.
Their fans would yell out, “F-U”, which of course had a double meaning.
So her school started yelling back, “C-K-Y-O-U!!”
I feel bad for the children who attended those games. What a bunch of classless hillbillies, to actually spell out such a base phrase in front of a bunch of innocent fans at a sporting event.

That is never my experience. Saturday was no exception. Annoying, rude, classless. That was my experience.

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
When I was at NU we wore sport coats and ties to the game. Student section was packed. Drank from hip flasks. No parachutists or flyovers. No fireworks or BBQ races. No replays. Had to see it the first time, or later on the 6:00pm news, on the single BW TV that we obtained by collecting Marlboro packages. When the telephone rang, everyone jumped up to answer it. But, I digress. Tore down the goal posts however. Perhaps we should return to wooden goal posts?

I feel bad for the children who attended those games. What a bunch of classless hillbillies, to actually spell out such a base phrase in front of a bunch of innocent fans at a sporting event.

How classless are those who yell out f-bombs at games while surrounded by children?

Like someone in Smithee's section did against Miami of Ohio in 2009.

Reactions: StreamCat
When I was at NU we wore sport coats and ties to the game. Student section was packed. Drank from hip flasks. No parachutists or flyovers. No fireworks or BBQ races. No replays. Had to see it the first time, or later on the 6:00pm news, on the single BW TV that we obtained by collecting Marlboro packages. When the telephone rang, everyone jumped up to answer it. But, I digress. Tore down the goal posts however. Perhaps we should return to wooden goal posts?
1013728.jpg

How classless are those who yell out f-bombs at games while surrounded by children?

Like someone in Smithee's section did against Miami of Ohio in 2009.
Just imagine how vile that foul mouthed carnival barker would at home games in 2020. No children should be allowed with a mile radius of our stadium at times like these.

Reactions: Gladeskat
What is sad is that NU has nothing. The Go U-NU was stupid. The claws look stupid. This is a tradition-less program which is why we have a DJ in the student section. Nebraska has a thing, MSU has a thing, even the Gophers do. Tried purple towels a few years ago. Nothing.

I've seen more spirit at Division III games (try going to Wheaton College or North Central games in Naperville.)

But we are 1-8. And we were apathetic long before this losing streak and nobody feared 'cats fans.
That’s alright, that’s ok, you will work for us one day. (Jingles keys to indicate car to be valeted)

*tosses marshmellows *

Grandpa - when did they color the world?

Likely came from the student section and equally likely they were admonished by the school officials. Crass as it may be, you assume they’re a bunch of hillbillies. Funny that you deem yourself ethically superior, yet you resort to assumed stereotypes.

Question, do you think children may hear bad language at a Bears, Cubs, or White Sox game? I know those are pro teams but kids attend them as well. Should we make an age limit on live sports spectating? The younger kids probably didn’t pick up on the spelled out response and the older kids had probably heard the actual word before.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT