ADVERTISEMENT

Thanks to all the Purple People in Sacramento!

NUCat320

Dec 4, 2005
As Lou mentioned in his article, “GO U! NU!” rung out loud and clear in the arena, and on the broadcast. It was amazing and wonderful to hear.

I read somewhere on here that lots of Wildcat fans seemed to have left after Thursday, and that many UCLA fans seemed to have been able to drive in for Saturday, but the Cat crowd last night was as loud as it had been Thursday night. Just a great showing for NU all-around.

Just got home this morning on the red eye to EWR. Seemed like other NU fans came in for Saturday. The ticket prices on StubHub were very strong and fans were looking for tickets outside the arena. Section 119 was standing pretty much final 16 minutes of the game. It was the most intense half of basketball I've ever witnessed in person.

There were at least 8 Princeton fans on my flight. Imagine motivating to go to Sacramento as a 15 seed and coming back with 2 Ws.

Was able to talk to Sterling Williams, Tino, Taphorn, Jeff Ryan, Kevin Rankin. Saw Nick Fruendt but wasn't able to talk to him. Others were there but I could not place them. We needed name tags and more ponchos. Ponchos should be the go-to garb for future tourneys.

Stopped by the Embassy Suites after my run Thursday morning and wished Beran, Berry and Gus good luck along with CCC and Coach James. They all could not have been more gracious.

Words can't describe how special the entire experience was. From Fitz leading the entire section in cheers while standing the whole time, berating the refs, and taking pictures with everyone who asked, to me personally chatting with the families of players and hearing about the hard work and sacrifices they've collectively put in over the years. And meeting Cats fans from all over the world. I hope we never take tournament appearances for granted when they become a nearly-annual occurrence.

Last edited:
At Welsh-Ryan last Sunday, Sacramento was the one site I was rooting against. Too far, too expensive. But my daughter (NU ‘21) begged me to take her. She had a great experience at Northwestern, but her last 4 quarters were basically a washout due to the pandemic, so for her sake I bit the bullet and booked the flights and reserved a hotel. You only get so many chances to make memories with your children.

The pregame alumni party at Punch Bowl on Thursday was a blast. Charlie Hall as MC, Fitz and the band riling up the crowd, nearly 1,000 purple-clad fans in attendance. Then a few steps over to the G1 Center. We sat in the third row behind the band. A rock-fight against Boise State, pure elation as the Cats held off the Broncos’ second half rally and advanced. We high-fived the players in the tunnel as they came off the court.

We scrambled to extend our hotel (recently abandoned by the Arizona contingent), find flights leaving Sunday instead of Friday, and snag tickets in a red-hot market for the second round game. With a day to kill, we rented a car and drove up to wine country in Amador County, visiting three family-owned wineries.

The buzz grew all day Saturday. We wandered around Old Sacramento, taking in the St. Pat’s parade and running into Robbie, Boo and Roy getting a little fresh air before game time. Another lively pregame party at Punch Bowl, then over to G1 to watch the end of Princeton’s huge upset. We camped out near the Mizzou section, waited for their dejected fans to exit, then snuck into the 4th row behind the NU bench. There we watched a battle for the ages, the Cats storming back to tie it with 12 minutes left. The TV cameras caught me and my daughter going absolutely crazy, and our phones blew up with texts from friends across the country. The boys hung tough all the way, until Chase’s three bounced in and out, and Brooks’ put-back caromed away, and Boo’s layup inexplicably rolled off. Finally, it was over.

We saluted these fearless warriors as they left the court, tears in their eyes, but their legacy unsurpassed. An incredible weekend to cap off an incredible season. Thank you, boys, for joyful memories that will last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Words can't describe how special the entire experience was. From Fitz leading the entire section in cheers while standing the whole time, berating the refs, and taking pictures with everyone who asked, to me personally chatting with the families of players and hearing about the hard work and sacrifices they've collectively put in over the years. And meeting Cats fans from all over the world. I hope we never take tournament appearances for granted when they become a nearly-annual occurrence.
It was great to meet you in person this weekend!

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
You, too! I've already bookmarked your family member's NIL site for many future purchases! I've already told my friends and will let the DC alumni know when I see them next week.
What is this about, the NIL site?

At Welsh-Ryan last Sunday, Sacramento was the one site I was rooting against. Too far, too expensive. But my daughter (NU ‘21) begged me to take her. She had a great experience at Northwestern, but her last 4 quarters were basically a washout due to the pandemic, so for her sake I bit the bullet and booked the flights and reserved a hotel. You only get so many chances to make memories with your children.
Awesome. I went but in retrospect I wish I took my family with me, even if it meant taking them out of school.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
It was a great way to finish out the season cheering for the team. Sac was down the list of where I'd want to go, but I talked my wife into going and it was quite awesome. She's been telling her friends "these sportsball conventions are lots of fun!"...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT