Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Down goes Frazier the SEC!

foreman-frazier.jpg

#4 Kentucky - down in the 1st Round
#4 Auburn - down in the 1st Round
#6 South Carolina - down in the 1st Round
#7 Florida - down in the 1st Round
#8 Mississippi State - down in the 1st Round

Five (5) of six SEC teams seeded to be in the Round of 32 out in the 1st round (so far). This feels worse than the Big Ten in 2021 where the Big Ten had a #2 lose in round 1 and a #1 lose in round #2, but at least multiple conference teams made the second round. This is like a the "Curse of Sankey" for the SEC Commissioner dissing the mid-major qualifiers before this year's tournament.

Down goes Frazier the SEC!

foreman-frazier.jpg

#4 Kentucky - down in the 1st Round
#4 Auburn - down in the 1st Round
#6 South Carolina - down in the 1st Round
#7 Florida - down in the 1st Round
#8 Mississippi State - down in the 1st Round

Five (5) of six SEC teams seeded to be in the Round of 32 out in the 1st round (so far). This feels worse than the Big Ten in 2021 where the Big Ten had a #2 lose in round 1 and a #1 lose in round #2, but at least multiple conference teams made the second round. This is like a the "Curse of Sankey" for the SEC Commissioner dissing the mid-major qualifiers before this year's tournament.
Probably means Tennessee is gonna win the whole damn thing now

• Haha
Reactions: Eurocat
Yale …poulagidis kid from Chicago reminds me of langborg let’s get him has 14 pts against good auburn team already
Is he one of those 4th year that can't play any more in IVY? Can he get them to Sweet 16 like Langborg did Princeton?

The Langborg story is going to be noticed by high-potential kids playing in the Ivy League. Whether it's grad transfer or undergrad, we are one of the very few places that ticks the boxes:

1. Academically comparable: We aren't Yale or Harvard, but I know kids who were accepted by Princeton and rejected by NU. It also means the locker room will be relatable to them, because everyone on our roster had to do the work academically to get here. Duke can't say that.
2. Elite basketball. Play in B1G
3. Good program that can win. Thanks to Boo and our players and our improved coaching staff

I hope we make the Ivy's a 'farm program' for future NU transfers like Langborg. We are uniquely qualified to do so.

The Langborg story is going to be noticed by high-potential kids playing in the Ivy League. Whether it's grad transfer or undergrad, we are one of the very few places that ticks the boxes:

1. Academically comparable: We aren't Yale or Harvard, but I know kids who were accepted by Princeton and rejected by NU. It also means the locker room will be relatable to them, because everyone on our roster had to do the work academically to get here. Duke can't say that.
3. Good program that can win. Thanks to Boo and our players and our improved coaching staff

I hope we make the Ivy's a 'farm program' for future NU transfers like Langborg. We are uniquely qualified to do so.
Is the BIG Elite these days?

I was just thinking about this yesterday. There’s a story to be told there: “Northwestern, Ivy’s gateway to power conference basketball”

We're on the same page on this.

Only issue is that it would be rare to leave an Ivy without the diploma and NCAA is going back to 4 years of eligibility, so the Ivy League star would have to be a graduate who didn't play at all as a freshman. I don't know how many Big Ten caliber players redshirt in the Ivy League.

So we have one more year (this one) to get another Langborg.... There's a guard on Penn who fits the bill. Wears number 0.

Reactions: Hkjb
We're on the same page on this.

Only issue is that it would be rare to leave an Ivy without the diploma and NCAA is going back to 4 years of eligibility, so the Ivy League star would have to be a graduate who didn't play at all as a freshman. I don't know how many Big Ten caliber players redshirt in the Ivy League.

So we have one more year (this one) to get another Langborg.... There's a guard on Penn who fits the bill. Wears number 0.
More importantly, we need a point guard to replace Boo.

We shouldn’t just restrict our transfer recruiting to the Ivy League. That would be idiocy.

It’s rare to redshirt at the ivys. Once the covid exceptions run out next season, we’d be limited to guys who were injured a whole year and/or who want to leave with eligibility remaining. Neither is particularly common. But yes I suppose we’ll be on many short lists moving forward - less bc of Ryan L and more bc it’s (finally) high-level basketball *and* academics.

Reactions: Hkjb
He'd have to change his number. That one is no longer available.
Technically only McKinney’s number is retired.

Dr. Gragg is a busy man. It may take him time to get to Boo’s number retirement.

Dr. Gragg is a busy man. It may take him time to get to Boo’s number retirement.
The decision to retire McKinney’s number was excellent in that it opens up the possibility to retire 0 soon. It’s also so silly that it hasn’t happened sooner.

Reactions: IGNORE2

To be fair, Gragg did something that Phillips and Murphy and Taylor and whomever preceded them didn’t. It’d been a miss for four decades.

Too bad. Hard to leave the Yale degree behind. Of course maybe he graduates in 3

You hear about this all the time if you follow transfers.

I do understand the drive, the obsession the kids have to play, to start, to be noticed, to be drafted.

But when I read about a kid tranfering from Stanford or Northwestern or Rice or Vandrbilt to play out his last year at Eastern Kenucky (and forgoe the great school degree), I just shake my head.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT