ADVERTISEMENT

You Thought You Loved Football then They Gave You A Scholarship

lonestarmvp

Aug 13, 2014
In honor of the many recruiting events this weekend, I am posting this article on multiple football boards.
I thought it was most appropriate for the departing senior players who would benefit if they could go back in time and have a conversation with themselves as HS seniors and incoming freshmen.

Also good article for prospective HS players preparing for signing day 2016.

Enjoy!

You Thought You Loved Football then They Gave You A Scholarship

November 5, 2015 Chad Wilson

By: Chad Wilson – Editor GridironStuds Blog

Remember how much you loved football.? It was football this and football that in high school especially when you were supposed to be busy doing something else. Back in those high school days there were a lot of other things you had to do in your day to day lives that kept you away from the game and made you even more hungry for the pigskin. They do say, absence makes the heart grow fonder. Your every thought was getting a college football scholarship or what you were going to do when you landed at the school of your choice. Then one day you became a college football player.

This is the mindset of 100’s even thousands of high school football players across the country right now. Many of them eager to take that next step in life. For all, they have no idea what they are stepping into, for many it will be too much to handle. Remember that absence and fonder stuff in the first paragraph? There will be no absence and fonder will be a distant reality for many high school football players.

Upon a college football player’s arrival on campus, they will find out a number of things, much to their chagrin. First, that laid back atmosphere that you thought college was, that’s for other students, not you the college football student. You thought leaving mom and dad’s house would bring you freedom, you were wrong. You were just sold to another keeper. This keeper is often meaner, more demanding and more present. Your day is planned from 6 A.M. to 9 P.M. Remember when the school bell rang at 8 AM? Well those days are gone. Remember how you couldn’t wait till football activities at 4 PM in the afternoon. You don’t have to wait, it’s in your face at 6 AM. Workouts and meetings bright and early in the morning. Then you hustle to a meal before you hustle to class. The hustle to class turns into a hustle to lunch in the early afternoon which exits to a hustle to guess what, another round of football meetings. This would be all good perhaps if you were a starter but you are third string and a backup on special teams. You want to fall asleep in that meeting but tobacco juice on your face from a screaming coach is not a good look.

Remember all those cool talks you had with Coach Coolio? Somehow they turned into “your mom gave birth to a %$# 18 years ago” and “we’ll put your $#@# on a Greyhound back home boy!” What happened to the guy that recruited me? Oh he’s recruiting someone else right after he MF’s me on this practice field today. That individual period that was 10 minutes in high school practice is now 20-25 minutes and there’s no walking. Practice is fast paced and filled with the same drills, day after day after day. You thought you were a college football player and then you saw a muscle bound, fast running redshirt junior playing your position that has not played a snap yet in his college career. You start to wonder if you are good enough to play. You start to wonder if you even like football. My coach doesn’t make it fun, watching from the sidelines isn’t fun and practicing day after day without a moment to come for air is not what I expected.

For some, what I just explained above is the path they are willing to travel to reach their goal. For many more it’s a grind that they thought they wanted but find out this whole college football thing is not what it’s cracked up to be. You thought you wanted to be an Ohio St. Buckeye but realize that you would have been in over your head if you had gone there. You can’t even handle things at Northwest Middle State A&M.

It’s hard to know what you’re getting into until you actually get into it but for high school football players, it would save you a lot of time, money and headache if you would take an honest assessment of where you are now as a high school football player, compare what current college football players are and ask yourself can you fit into that. Ask yourself that question once, twice and a couple of dozen times. Hundreds of college freshman are battling the feeling right now of either wanting to transfer or quit. Many will follow through on those feelings. Many could have avoided all of this if they took an honest assessment of themselves while in high school.

Determine if college football really is for you and then determine what level of college football best fits you. Don’t base your decision on your friends, peers or even rivals on the high school football field. College football IS NOT high school football. Let me say it again, high school football IS NOT college football.

Let that marinate.

In other words, being a scholarship college football player at a major program is a lot like the real world.

I am sure it is a rude awakening for some. I was pretty freakin naive at 18, despite all my bravado and self assurance. I hadn't been humbled by a tough job, not being the best (#1 in my class), and had plenty of money thanks to my parents.I had to get beyond college to figure a lot of what I experienced in my first 20 years was not very "real."

I am wondering though if there are as many kids and their families "loving football" with all the negative increased publicity about the sport.

I'd argue it's harder.
I would not argue with that. Certainly more physically demanding. Throw in extreme competition for very limited opportunities, tough love from coaches, very explicit accountability (caught on film nowadays) and the long hours, and I can see why, despite not having played scholarship sports (I played club ice hockey and rubgy), I hold college athletes in high regard.

I think being an athlete in a "Division 1" school is tough for most sports. Time management is so crucial. I really admire those who are able pull it off taking real classes without the help of classes like AIDS Awareness.

Reactions: Dugan15
I happen to agree with you but it would be more fun if the rebellion came at a different school. I'm not proud, just honest.
I disagree. They are paid with scholarships, many to schools they could never get into. If you are not happy with that deal, don't play. You know what football entails, and what you get. Don't cry about it after you accept. I would venture to say that schools like IMG Academy are in some ways easier and in others harder. From 5:30 am to 10 pm no free time, usually up till at least 12 doing homework. Most regular high school kids will find out soon thst they aren't as good as they think, and that the price of thst scholarship is paid with sweat and blood.

Not as bad as serving in the military, going through training, and engaging in often thankless and dangerous overseas assignments, as a significantly larger number of people within that age category are recruited to do every year. Or entering the workforce immediately after high school at some low wage, night shift factory job where no one gives a damn about you and you watch your physique atrophy into something resembling one of those wiry Christmas decorations that Wal-Mart sells. Or . . . just about any number of things. Let's put things into perspective a little here.

I disagree. They are paid with scholarships, many to schools they could never get into. If you are not happy with that deal, don't play. You know what football entails, and what you get. Don't cry about it after you accept. I would venture to say that schools like IMG Academy are in some ways easier and in others harder. From 5:30 am to 10 pm no free time, usually up till at least 12 doing homework. Most regular high school kids will find out soon thst they aren't as good as they think, and that the price of thst scholarship is paid with sweat and blood.
Does IMG Academy make Millions of dollars each year from their Football program?

Does IMG Academy make Millions of dollars each year from their Football program?
Jango was given a scholarship to go there. Tuition is 80k a year. I have no clue what they make there. Greatest place on the planet to get ready for college ball.

Like the NCAA, IMG is a “For Profit” sports business and therefore, aligned their “student athlete” model to mirror the billion dollar entity we have today. Based on the sample schedule CatDad provided earlier, HS students are being groomed for the FT (40 hour) work week they will experience in college.

Clearly as stated, parents should have the right to choose the best school for their children. So, it is a matter of personal preference. CatDad would be the SME on this perspective.

As stated in the article below, their objectives are clear:

IMG officials are upfront about their profit motive. And they have been backed financially by state lawmakers. They justify the assistance by citing the academy’s economic impact to the region in training more than 12,000 athletes yearly from the youth level to the pros and in hosting numerous amateur and professional sports competitions.

Although it is private, IMG Academy has received more than $7 million from the Florida state budget over the past two years, according to news accounts. An additional $2 million was pledged by lawmakers in June but was then vetoed by Gov. Rick Scott.

“We run a business,” said Chip McCarthy, a co-managing director of IMG Academy. “We call it sales and marketing. Some people call it recruiting. We’re promoting our program. If you look at any private school that emphasizes sports, they’re typically doing it to promote their school.

You can read the full article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/19/sports/football/high-school-football-inc.html?_r=0

The IMG model for football doesn't seem all that different from the prep schools for other sports like basketball and soccer.

CatsDad, did Jango reach out to them first or did they contact you guys first?

Saw that Jango's teammate Shavar Manuel committed to Florida. I noticed him on Jango's tape.
Shaver is a beast. Great kid too. One of my favorite Ascenders. He would always make it a point to talk to me. I wish him luck in Florida.

The IMG model for football doesn't seem all that different from the prep schools for other sports like basketball and soccer.

CatsDad, did Jango reach out to them first or did they contact you guys first?
I loved IMG. I will always be a fan and consider IMG family. Coach Wright genuinely cares for his players and holds them to high standard on and off the field. My sons linebacker Coach, Coach Langford treated my son like his own and made such a huge difference in him. The academics are brutal and the schedule demanding, but there is no better place to develop as a student, athlete, or man than IMG Academy. When IMG offered my son that once in a lifetime opportunity, it was like winning the lottery. Forever grateful for their generosity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT