ADVERTISEMENT

Your points on Skelly (and other defensive observations)

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
I had noticed it occasionally before, but I explicitly looked for it last night, particularly cause he was playing more minutes with Falzon out. I did see more of it (ie lazy possessions on D from him) last night, but it's far from the case every possession. I did notice at least 3 times where he allowed the offensive guy to get by him easily, at least part bc he wasn't in proper D position or didn't look like he was 100% ready. Also some of his fouls were due to lazy plays. But he also had a number of possessions where he played strong D and held up the other team's play.

In my opinion, the issues with Skelly come back to inconsistency and lack of discipline, as I've always said. He's just too sporadic, like his mind is all over the place. He'll make an athletic play on D or shot on O, then get pumped up and do something stupid on the other end. Or he'll make a nice pass or deflection to create points for a teammate, then just do something boneheaded to give away points. He's useful for small stretches to bring energy when we are lacking it, but we run into problems when we are trying to run him out there for the majority of the game. Would be nice if we had Falzon healthy, but alas.

Other assorted observations on individual / team defense last night-
- Gaines- created a few turnovers and was very active, but his overplaying got the zone out of position a fair few times too and led to easy baskets. that said, it sort of seemed like that was his mandate from CC tonight, and maybe why he was given more minutes relative vs e.g. Ash
- Pardon- probably our most consistent positional defender, but seemed at times like he was trying to cover too much to make up for bad rotations from the G's and F's... we clearly aren't fully comfortable with the zone yet
- The zone press was impressive (both used on one-off posessions in the half-court early, then full court later), it helped that OSU lacks ball handlers but that could be something to come back to. I was disappointed though that we weren't as diligent in setting up the press immediately after made baskets during the comeback, they were really struggling with it and we let them get the ball up the court too easily a few times vs. when we were able to fully set it up after TOs or whistles. Another example of the frustrating lack of cohesiveness of our team this year.
- Lindsey I actually thought had a pretty decent game on D. He was active with feet movement yday and didn't have many of his typical lazy possessions, despite not a great game on O. That last foul on him was a touch call for that point in the game.
- BMac we know is not a plus defender, it sort of is what it is at this point. I liked the move Collins did though of hiding him over on the wing in the zone while letting Gaines and Scottie take the guards up top.
- I think even Vic is getting tired of this season... he is usually our most consistent defender but I saw multiple occasions where he got out of position or looked slow / lazy in moving his feet.

No unifying theme here or way to fix our problems beyond that there is too much laziness / too little discipline / too little team cohesiveness, just reporting what I saw on the defensive side of the ball.

I had noticed it occasionally before, but I explicitly looked for it last night, particularly cause he was playing more minutes with Falzon out. I did see more of it (ie lazy possessions on D from him) last night, but it's far from the case every possession. I did notice at least 3 times where he allowed the offensive guy to get by him easily, at least part bc he wasn't in proper D position or didn't look like he was 100% ready. Also some of his fouls were due to lazy plays. But he also had a number of possessions where he played strong D and held up the other team's play.

In my opinion, the issues with Skelly come back to inconsistency and lack of discipline, as I've always said. He's just too sporadic, like his mind is all over the place. He'll make an athletic play on D or shot on O, then get pumped up and do something stupid on the other end. Or he'll make a nice pass or deflection to create points for a teammate, then just do something boneheaded to give away points. He's useful for small stretches to bring energy when we are lacking it, but we run into problems when we are trying to run him out there for the majority of the game. Would be nice if we had Falzon healthy, but alas.

Other assorted observations on individual / team defense last night-
- Gaines- created a few turnovers and was very active, but his overplaying got the zone out of position a fair few times too and led to easy baskets. that said, it sort of seemed like that was his mandate from CC tonight, and maybe why he was given more minutes relative vs e.g. Ash
- Pardon- probably our most consistent positional defender, but seemed at times like he was trying to cover too much to make up for bad rotations from the G's and F's... we clearly aren't fully comfortable with the zone yet
- The zone press was impressive (both used on one-off posessions in the half-court early, then full court later), it helped that OSU lacks ball handlers but that could be something to come back to. I was disappointed though that we weren't as diligent in setting up the press immediately after made baskets during the comeback, they were really struggling with it and we let them get the ball up the court too easily a few times vs. when we were able to fully set it up after TOs or whistles. Another example of the frustrating lack of cohesiveness of our team this year.
- Lindsey I actually thought had a pretty decent game on D. He was active with feet movement yday and didn't have many of his typical lazy possessions, despite not a great game on O. That last foul on him was a touch call for that point in the game.
- BMac we know is not a plus defender, it sort of is what it is at this point. I liked the move Collins did though of hiding him over on the wing in the zone while letting Gaines and Scottie take the guards up top.
- I think even Vic is getting tired of this season... he is usually our most consistent defender but I saw multiple occasions where he got out of position or looked slow / lazy in moving his feet.

No unifying theme here or way to fix our problems beyond that there is too much laziness / too little discipline / too little team cohesiveness, just reporting what I saw on the defensive side of the ball.
We had a pretty short rotation last night especially with Falzon a late scratch. BMac 38, Lindsey 38 (not in foul trouble like early in the year) Pardon 37 and Law 32. Skelly was 28. Really hard to maintain D intensity without getting spelled. And that press takes even more energy. Hard to do it well for very long if you don't get a rest

We had a pretty short rotation last night especially with Falzon a late scratch. BMac 38, Lindsey 38 (not in foul trouble like early in the year) Pardon 37 and Law 32. Skelly was 28. Really hard to maintain D intensity without getting spelled. And that press takes even more energy. Hard to do it well for very long if you don't get a rest
That would a be very fair and good point if it weren't a problem that has come up repeatedly game after game this year. Excuses are for losers. If it happens once it's an exception, if it happens repeatedly it's a problem.

I seem to remember a team back at the start of Collins's tenure where against Purdue Sanjay probably played >40 mins, guarded all 5 positions, the best Purdue wing player on the floor most of the game then eventually rotated over to guard their 7' C AJ Hammons after all our bigs had fouled out. And gave 100% intensity, effort, and execution on every defensive possession over (I believe) 40 mins of regulation + 2 OTs. Then he would catch his breath on offense, and dig right back in on defense the next possession. That team went on to win that game, and a number of others late in the season after a long losing streak early in conference season. That team won games despite a lack of talent because they prided themselves on their defensive intensity and cohesiveness, and seemed to enjoy digging in EVERY POSSESSION and playing for each other on that end of the floor.

We are not 'that team' right now.

Though not as one-sided to the defensive side of the ball, we had that level of intensity, passion, and cohesiveness last year. But again, we are not 'that team' this year. And I find that frustrating. I imagine Collins does too.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
That would a be very fair and good point if it weren't a problem that has come up repeatedly game after game this year. Excuses are for losers. If it happens once it's an exception, if it happens repeatedly it's a problem.

I seem to remember a team back at the start of Collins's tenure where against Purdue Sanjay probably played >40 mins, guarded all 5 positions, the best Purdue wing player on the floor most of the game then eventually rotated over to guard their 7' C AJ Hammons after all our bigs had fouled out. And gave 100% intensity, effort, and execution on every defensive possession over (I believe) 40 mins of regulation + 2 OTs. Then he would catch his breath on offense, and dig right back in on defense the next possession. That team went on to win that game, and a number of others late in the season after a long losing streak early in conference season. That team won games despite a lack of talent because they prided themselves on their defensive intensity and cohesiveness, and seemed to enjoy digging in EVERY POSSESSION and playing for each other on that end of the floor.

We are not 'that team' right now.

Though not as one-sided to the defensive side of the ball, we had that level of intensity, passion, and cohesiveness last year. But again, we are not 'that team' this year. And I find that frustrating. I imagine Collins does too.
http://nusports.com/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=1438

There's the box score from that game. See if you can guess the #1 reason why we won that one... a hint, it's not cause of any of the 3 guys in double figures. Though Tre Drew and Jershon were all great Cats.

Seriously, CC should sit the entire team down and show them all 40 minutes of game tape from that Purdue game. And tell them to focus on Sanjay on every defensive possession. And ask them to count how many possessions he gives less than 100%. And ask them to count how many defensive mistakes he makes.

Then take them back to our most recent game. Ask them to watch themselves play, and to count how many possessions each one of them give less than 100%, and how many defensive mistakes are made.

The door hasn't closed on the season yet, but we are rapidly running out of time before it does.

There's the box score from that game. See if you can guess the #1 reason why we won that one... a hint, it's not cause of any of the 3 guys in double figures. Though Tre Drew and Jershon were all great Cats.

Seriously, CC should sit the entire team down and show them all 40 minutes of game tape from that Purdue game. And tell them to focus on Sanjay on every defensive possession. And ask them to count how many possessions he gives less than 100%. And ask them to count how many defensive mistakes he makes.

Then take them back to our most recent game. Ask them to watch themselves play, and to count how many possessions each one of them give less than 100%, and how many defensive mistakes are made.

The door hasn't closed on the season yet, but we are rapidly running out of time before it does.

Sanjay fouled out after 43 minutes, Drew was the one who played the entire game.

But was Sanjay asked to do on offense what BMac, Scottie and Vic are asked to do? Sure, he can give it 100% on defense every possession, but that’s because he was only occasionally involved in the actual offensive scheme.

Sanjay fouled out after 43 minutes, Drew was the one who played the entire game.
I wrote "Sanjay probably played >40 minutes"

He sat some earlier in the game, and I think fouled out with 1 or 2 mins to go in the 2nd OT if I recall correctly

We scored more points than they did?

But was Sanjay asked to do on offense what BMac, Scottie and Vic are asked to do? Sure, he can give it 100% on defense every possession, but that’s because he was only occasionally involved in the actual offensive scheme.

Didn't BMac, Scottie, and Vic have those responsibilities last year? Playing good defense is a mindset and our team had a great mindset for it last season (led by Sanjay's effort.) There is a marked contrast between that and this season's mindset. If you give 60% of the starting lineup the defensive end off, you end up with bad team defense and that's what we have.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT