ADVERTISEMENT

Youtube is the best way to get a feel for the Tennessee team

Seattle_Cat

Sep 8, 2003
Forget trying to discuss it with their online fans. Even if you run across one of the few reasonable ones the trolls will immediately jump in and spew crap.

I've been watching some game videos online and find them a lot more useful than online discussions.

Reactions: StarRaider
Forget trying to discuss it with their online fans. Even if you run across one of the few reasonable ones the trolls will immediately jump in and spew crap.

I've been watching some game videos online and find them a lot more useful than online discussions.
Links?

I mentioned in another thread that, if you only have the time/interest to watch 2 Vols games to get a feel for our team, I'd go with Georgia (a win) and Oklahoma (a loss). Between them, they really capture the character of our 2015 season. If you have time for a third, I'd add Vandy, just because it's the last game of the year and shows who we are most recently. Here are links to those three games:

Oklahoma:

Georgia:

Vandy:

Cheers! I'm off to watch the NU-Wisconsin game. :)

Would recommend checking out Vol_freak's channel for offensive and defensive cut-ups.

But on offense, we run a hurry-up with a basic inside/outside zone read scheme. We use a lot of pre-snap motion for WR Sweeps or swing passes to the flat. Lots of bubble-screens, too. We use a lot of play action for our passing game, but if Dobbs doesn't like his first option, he tends to tuck and run, which is a good and bad thing. Our offense is at it's best when AstroDobbs is in the open field, but he tends to be a little careless with the ball.

You'll see a lot of nickel from us on defense. I'd say we tend to play it pretty conservative unless we don't respect the QB. One frustration this year has been our refusal to bring any sign of pressure on 3rd/4th and long at the end of the game. Always a 3-man rush and we always blow leads because of it.

You'll see a lot of nickel from us on defense. I'd say we tend to play it pretty conservative unless we don't respect the QB. One frustration this year has been our refusal to bring any sign of pressure on 3rd/4th and long at the end of the game. Always a 3-man rush and we always blow leads because of it.

That would be really foolish. We are not a threat with the ball in the air. Justin Jackson will love facing a nickel.

Love that you don't bring pressure on passing downs. Thorson makes mistakes when he is under pressure. He has demonstrated flashes of brilliance when he isn't and has time to throw.

That sounds familiar.

Reactions: rmndcat
Based on my limited exposure so far (just part of the Vandy game), I'd say that Dobbs is similar to Thorson (note: I'm not saying he's better or worse - just that he's similar). Neither seems to be a great passer yet, but the main difference seems to be that Dobbs has good playmakers helping him out, so he can take more chances as a passer. Hopefully Hank will see something in film to take advantage of that. The other way they're similar is that the both seem to be very good open-field runners. I'd say it looks like Dobbs does a much better job of first *getting* to the open field, which gives him an advantage. I'd expect Tennessee to run a lot more QB runs than NU will. And for the plays that start out as passing plays, Dobbs might take off and run anyway. He's fun to watch, and I'll definitely need the Tums with me for that game, as I can see getting Tennessee to 3rd-and-7 and watching him get to the sticks a lot with his feet, and those are just the worst. Makes me miss Kain Colter, who also had a good nose for the first-down marker.

The other thing I noticed a lot in the Vandy game is that the Tennessee offense always felt like they had an extra player. I thought Vandy's defense would probably be good all things considered, but they were frequently out of position, missing a guy, or whatever. Assuming it really WAS 11-on-11, I tend to think that's good coaching on Tennessee's part - they knew what Vandy would throw at them and put some packages together to confuse them.

Last thing - and I mentioned on the other thread - but the Tennessee punt returner appeared to be unafraid to return punts, even when it would be best to fair catch. If the NU gunners play as well as they have all year, they can probably take advantage of that mentality, but all it takes is one time our team isn't ready and this guy will take it all the way. He's confident enough that he knows he can take the chances of getting stuffed because of what happens when he doesn't. Electrifying and frightening.

Defense wise, I didn't see great tackling by Tennessee, which bodes well for Justin Jackson the Ballcarrier and Warren Long, who are already hard enough to tackle. I thought UT's offense was much better than their defense. But again, just part of the Vandy game. I'll certainly watch more in the next three weeks. Thanks for sharing the links!

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
Vandy out rushed and out possessed UT at the half, rolling up 276 yards in offense, but still trailed by 2 scores. Lots of missed tackles and blown assignments on defense. I'm not sure if if was UT who beat Vandy, Vandy who beat Vandy.

Vandy out rushed and out possessed UT at the half, rolling up 276 yards in offense, but still trailed by 2 scores. Lots of missed tackles and blown assignments on defense. I'm not sure if if was UT who beat Vandy, Vandy who beat Vandy.

They also had 2 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter.

The score going into the 4th was 40-14. They scored their last two TD's vs 3rd stringers.

Based on my limited exposure so far (just part of the Vandy game), I'd say that Dobbs is similar to Thorson (note: I'm not saying he's better or worse - just that he's similar). Neither seems to be a great passer yet, but the main difference seems to be that Dobbs has good playmakers helping him out, so he can take more chances as a passer. Hopefully Hank will see something in film to take advantage of that. The other way they're similar is that the both seem to be very good open-field runners. I'd say it looks like Dobbs does a much better job of first *getting* to the open field, which gives him an advantage. I'd expect Tennessee to run a lot more QB runs than NU will. And for the plays that start out as passing plays, Dobbs might take off and run anyway. He's fun to watch, and I'll definitely need the Tums with me for that game, as I can see getting Tennessee to 3rd-and-7 and watching him get to the sticks a lot with his feet, and those are just the worst. Makes me miss Kain Colter, who also had a good nose for the first-down marker.

The other thing I noticed a lot in the Vandy game is that the Tennessee offense always felt like they had an extra player. I thought Vandy's defense would probably be good all things considered, but they were frequently out of position, missing a guy, or whatever. Assuming it really WAS 11-on-11, I tend to think that's good coaching on Tennessee's part - they knew what Vandy would throw at them and put some packages together to confuse them.

Last thing - and I mentioned on the other thread - but the Tennessee punt returner appeared to be unafraid to return punts, even when it would be best to fair catch. If the NU gunners play as well as they have all year, they can probably take advantage of that mentality, but all it takes is one time our team isn't ready and this guy will take it all the way. He's confident enough that he knows he can take the chances of getting stuffed because of what happens when he doesn't. Electrifying and frightening.

Defense wise, I didn't see great tackling by Tennessee, which bodes well for Justin Jackson the Ballcarrier and Warren Long, who are already hard enough to tackle. I thought UT's offense was much better than their defense. But again, just part of the Vandy game. I'll certainly watch more in the next three weeks. Thanks for sharing the links!

Really nice write-up, Smelly, I think you saw that game much the same way I did. And I'll tell you straight up, at times this year our team's loss of good fundamentals in tackling in the 4th quarter has driven us nuts. Lack of depth, guys getting tired. If we're even going into the 4th Qtr, I think the odds favor NU from that point.

break/break

I just watched the NU-Wisconsin game. And gotta say WOW. It's official for me now, your defensive front seven, especially the defensive line, is scary good, esp. Gibson and Lowry. Those guys stunt well, and have really good instincts for the ball. Couple that with our still-young OL, and I think you could give us fits in the trenches when we're on O. Only saving grace for us might be that Josh Dobbs is infinitely more evasive than the Wisconsin QB was.

In fact, if I had to narrow down my conclusions of the Wisconsin game to two key points, they would be the observation on your DLine's talent, and that Wisconsin absolutely threw that game away (sometimes literally) with all those turnovers. Not taking anything away from your team, they were very opportunistic, quick to get to the ball first and take advantage of what was offered.

I don't mean any insult here, none at all, think he's a talented back, but the third thing I'd draw from watching the tape is that Justin Jackson isn't that scary for us. I like him, he's quick and elusive, but we've seen others that are both quicker and more powerful this year, and did okay with them. Don't misunderstand, Justin will get some decent carries, will break a couple. But he's not going to be the difference maker when you guys are on O.

To score enough points to win, NU is going to have to go to the air. I know you can, I saw Thorson make some good throws into small windows in the Stanford game. And, in his favor, Tennessee has last year and this year had the annoying tendency of making QBs look awesome, even young inexperienced ones. Our DB squad are either all-on or all-off, it seems, never anything in between. If your OC rolls the dice and goes heavy in the air, and luck is on your side so that our DBs are having one of their off nights, that's the difference in low score and high score for you guys, I think.

Anyway, it was a fun game to watch. And again, the single biggest walk-away was Holy Crap! concerning your DL. I think that's absolutely the matchup to watch.

What game should I catch next, tomorrow or the next day? I'm thinking maybe Penn State or Michigan. Which would give me a better feel for the character of the Wildcats?

Thanks!

Reactions: rmndcat

That would be really foolish. We are not a threat with the ball in the air. Justin Jackson will love facing a nickel.

Love that you don't bring pressure on passing downs. Thorson makes mistakes when he is under pressure. He has demonstrated flashes of brilliance when he isn't and has time to throw.

We play 4-2-5 and 4-3 all based on personnel grouping of the offense. It is all game plan driven. We will match our package to the offenses personnel grouping.

We are better in the nickel because most offenses stay in smaller personnel groupings and therefore we have repped our nickel defense much more.

We are not a great 4-3 team because it is not really our base defense. I am glad we have an extended time to prepare for this game for this reason.

I don't think there is anything to learn from watching the Michigan game. In fact, I'm almost positive it never happened. I honestly don't know what I'd recommend next. I probably would not pick Duke (despite a very good defensive performance), because that game felt so different than others, and Ball State was probably just a game where the team wasn't clicking on all cylinders. I dunno. Penn State or Nebraska?

Not being blown away by Justin Jackson is probably a normal response from someone who doesn't watch him a lot. He doesn't seem like someone who just takes one to the house for 80 yards, but he quietly gets six here, eight there, and makes something out of nothing a lot. I've enjoyed watching him the last two years and look forward to the next two!

And yes, Dobbs is much more elusive than Stave. If the DL can contain him and get into his head, it should be interesting.

I don't think there is anything to learn from watching the Michigan game. In fact, I'm almost positive it never happened. I honestly don't know what I'd recommend next. I probably would not pick Duke (despite a very good defensive performance), because that game felt so different than others, and Ball State was probably just a game where the team wasn't clicking on all cylinders. I dunno. Penn State or Nebraska?

Not being blown away by Justin Jackson is probably a normal response from someone who doesn't watch him a lot. He doesn't seem like someone who just takes one to the house for 80 yards, but he quietly gets six here, eight there, and makes something out of nothing a lot. I've enjoyed watching him the last two years and look forward to the next two!

And yes, Dobbs is much more elusive than Stave. If the DL can contain him and get into his head, it should be interesting.

Yeah, Josh is pretty unflappable. That's one of his best qualities, in fact. Along with his legs.

Thanks, I think I'll go for Penn State game next. Appreciate the recommendations.

Nebraska wasn't pretty, but is probably pretty representative. Gutty. Big plays on defense.

The lesson of Michigan: if you take the opening kick to the house against NU, then get a three and out, it's probably over. (Especially if NU misses a field goal on their first decent drive.)

Last edited:
They also had 2 yards of total offense in the 3rd quarter.

The score going into the 4th was 40-14. They scored their last two TD's vs 3rd stringers.
I will watch some more UT tape. Vandy looked like a lot of crappy college teams to me--some good players and some ability to make plays, but undisciplined (poor tackling, missed assignments, penalties) and generally its own worst enemy.

Teams like that do not have much margin for error. If they fail to capitalize on opportunities, give up a big play or two, and shoot themselves in the foot, suddenly you are down 2+ scores and become one-dimensional. This destroys your strategy (play field position, run the ball, etc.) and plays into the opponennts hands.

NU is not immune to this. Michigan returned the opening KO, got some 3 and outs, and had NU down 3 scores in the first quarter. NU is not a comeback team of that order. Game over.

I watched UT's games against Georgia and Alabama. I'm pretty much a know nothing about schemes, etc., but here are my brief observations:

- Dobbs is a talent, but he's also prone to making mistakes, particularly when throwing downfield. We have a smart, aggressive secondary, and I think we'll get at least one INT. He reminds me in some ways of T. Armstrong at Nebraska, though more accurate with his passes.

- We need to keep Dobbs and the running game bottled up, to avoid giving up big plays. Our All-B1G MLB will do a good job shadowing Dobbs, like he did against other mobile QBs this year (Duke, Nebraska). Our front seven on defense has pretty good range from sideline to sideline, so I think we'll be successful overall in containing their running game. If our D's on the field too long, however, we'll get tired and will start to give up big plays.

- UT seems to run a lot of screens and passes out of the flat, and our DEs will look to get their hands on those passes. Lowry had a really nice pick against Duke on a screen pass similar to what Dobbs throws. UT better be careful, because we're going to be looking to disrupt those types of plays.

- UT's run and pass defense is decent but not great. Justin Jackson will probably surpass 100 yards by the end of the game, and Thorson will have a few opportunities downfield. We need to capitalize on those to keep the momentum and to give our D a break.

- UT's kicker missed three FGs in a five point loss to Alabama. Yikes. Evidently he also missed a FG to beat Florida. If the game's on the line and he has a chance to win this game with a FG, what'll be going through his head?

- UT's punt return and kickoff returners are fast and aggressive. We can't afford to give up a big return, much less a TD off of a punt or kickoff.

I think it's going to be a close game, with turnovers and a few big plays (e.g. punt/kickoff returns, long pass plays) making the difference in the end. I'll take Northwestern to cover, and the final outcome will be very close. Because I'm a Wildcat, I'll say NU 23 - UT 20.

I watched UT's games against Georgia and Alabama. I'm pretty much a know nothing about schemes, etc., but here are my brief observations:

- Dobbs is a talent, but he's also prone to making mistakes, particularly when throwing downfield. We have a smart, aggressive secondary, and I think we'll get at least one INT. He reminds me in some ways of T. Armstrong at Nebraska, though more accurate with his passes.

- We need to keep Dobbs and the running game bottled up, to avoid giving up big plays. Our All-B1G MLB will do a good job shadowing Dobbs, like he did against other mobile QBs this year (Duke, Nebraska). Our front seven on defense has pretty good range from sideline to sideline, so I think we'll be successful overall in containing their running game. If our D's on the field too long, however, we'll get tired and will start to give up big plays.

- UT seems to run a lot of screens and passes out of the flat, and our DEs will look to get their hands on those passes. Lowry had a really nice pick against Duke on a screen pass similar to what Dobbs throws. UT better be careful, because we're going to be looking to disrupt those types of plays.

- UT's run and pass defense is decent but not great. Justin Jackson will probably surpass 100 yards by the end of the game, and Thorson will have a few opportunities downfield. We need to capitalize on those to keep the momentum and to give our D a break.

- UT's kicker missed three FGs in a five point loss to Alabama. Yikes. Evidently he also missed a FG to beat Florida. If the game's on the line and he has a chance to win this game with a FG, what'll be going through his head?

- UT's punt return and kickoff returners are fast and aggressive. We can't afford to give up a big return, much less a TD off of a punt or kickoff.

I think it's going to be a close game, with turnovers and a few big plays (e.g. punt/kickoff returns, long pass plays) making the difference in the end. I'll take Northwestern to cover, and the final outcome will be very close. Because I'm a Wildcat, I'll say NU 23 - UT 20.

Good reads on most points, Beetle. I'd clarify just a couple of things. First, our place kicker, Aaron Medley, had the sophomore slump for the first half of the season. Including both games you just watched. He broke out of it about halfway through and has been very successful for the back end. You know how touchy kickers can be mentally. Well, we think he's cured. :) And second, we played four of the top 12 defenses in the nation this year, and not a single one of them was able to stopper our running game entirely. We'll get at least 150 yards from NU's admittedly fine defense. The question is, will we get a lot more than that? I think the game may be decided on that very question.

Cheers!

I hope you are a fan of defense. Its got a great surprise ending, though.

Heh yeah Glide, I wrote up my thoughts on another thread around here somewhere. The big two lessons I drew from that game were (1) your DLine is absolutely legit. I'm now worried about how the trenches will go with them against our still-inexperienced OL; and (2) Wisconsin really hung themselves out to dry with ALL those turnovers (I lost count; 6? 7?), but your D was very quick and opportunistic to take advantage of each of them.

It's going to be a fun game, with a lot of neat storylines going on a different places of the field. One of the ones I'll be watching most closely all game long is how well (if at all) our OL is able to handle Lowry, Gibson, and the entire NU DL.

Cheers!

Reactions: beetlemania74
Good reads on most points, Beetle. I'd clarify just a couple of things. First, our place kicker, Aaron Medley, had the sophomore slump for the first half of the season. Including both games you just watched. He broke out of it about halfway through and has been very successful for the back end. You know how touchy kickers can be mentally. Well, we think he's cured. :) And second, we played four of the top 12 defenses in the nation this year, and not a single one of them was able to stopper our running game entirely. We'll get at least 150 yards from NU's admittedly fine defense. The question is, will we get a lot more than that? I think the game may be decided on that very question.

Yes, we certainly understand the capricious nature of kickers...ours missed some FGs this year but then never seemed to miss in the 4th quarter. I guess he wanted to make everyone sweat it out.

I didn't mean to say that we'd entirely stop your running game. Dobbs and the RBs will get their yards. I think our coaching staff will take an approach of trying to contain them and limit the really big plays (i.e. 30-40+ yard runs). We were pretty successful at that all season, against the likes of Stanford (McCaffrey) and Penn State (Barkley), and that'll be the game plan against UT. If our offense stalls and you start to wear us down on defense, then the dam will break and you'll get a lot more than 150 yards rushing. That's what happened to us against Iowa, and it wasn't pretty.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game. I've really appreciated your civil dialogue and the insights you've provided as to UT's strengths and weaknesses. It'll make watching the game more interesting and enjoyable, that is unless I forget it all by then (three more weeks!).

Really nice write-up, Smelly, I think you saw that game much the same way I did. And I'll tell you straight up, at times this year our team's loss of good fundamentals in tackling in the 4th quarter has driven us nuts. Lack of depth, guys getting tired. If we're even going into the 4th Qtr, I think the odds favor NU from that point.

break/break

I just watched the NU-Wisconsin game. And gotta say WOW. It's official for me now, your defensive front seven, especially the defensive line, is scary good, esp. Gibson and Lowry. Those guys stunt well, and have really good instincts for the ball. Couple that with our still-young OL, and I think you could give us fits in the trenches when we're on O. Only saving grace for us might be that Josh Dobbs is infinitely more evasive than the Wisconsin QB was.

In fact, if I had to narrow down my conclusions of the Wisconsin game to two key points, they would be the observation on your DLine's talent, and that Wisconsin absolutely threw that game away (sometimes literally) with all those turnovers. Not taking anything away from your team, they were very opportunistic, quick to get to the ball first and take advantage of what was offered.

I don't mean any insult here, none at all, think he's a talented back, but the third thing I'd draw from watching the tape is that Justin Jackson isn't that scary for us. I like him, he's quick and elusive, but we've seen others that are both quicker and more powerful this year, and did okay with them. Don't misunderstand, Justin will get some decent carries, will break a couple. But he's not going to be the difference maker when you guys are on O.

To score enough points to win, NU is going to have to go to the air. I know you can, I saw Thorson make some good throws into small windows in the Stanford game. And, in his favor, Tennessee has last year and this year had the annoying tendency of making QBs look awesome, even young inexperienced ones. Our DB squad are either all-on or all-off, it seems, never anything in between. If your OC rolls the dice and goes heavy in the air, and luck is on your side so that our DBs are having one of their off nights, that's the difference in low score and high score for you guys, I think.

Anyway, it was a fun game to watch. And again, the single biggest walk-away was Holy Crap! concerning your DL. I think that's absolutely the matchup to watch.

What game should I catch next, tomorrow or the next day? I'm thinking maybe Penn State or Michigan. Which would give me a better feel for the character of the Wildcats?

Thanks!

That DL is pretty awesome and pretty much the best we've ever had. What is most awesome and which you did not refer to is the depth. We will rotate 9 or 10 quality guys, and so by the 4th quarter, your line will be exhausted. They remind me of the great TCU DL's before they joined the Big 12 in that regard.

What you are not seeing on the film (since it generally focuses on the ball and not what's happening downfield) is how strong our secondary is. Matt Harris only got 3rd team All Conference honors falling behind Nick Van Hoose, which was a travesty, Van Hoose is good, but he had more PBUs and perhaps more exposure because Harris simply wasn't getting thrown on (he was also out for a few games, including Michigan and Iowa and Nebraska). He is a fricking glove. Harris is probably our best cornerback since Sherrick McManus who plays for the Bears now I think. We also get Kyle Quiero back who was out for Michigan and Iowa (and I think a big reason we lost those games) - he's a playmaker as our 5th DB and nickel (see his pick at the end of the Stanford game, which he probably should have run all the way and put up another 7 points on the Cardinal instead of falling down, seeing as how some people still think Stanford was a fluke). Our ability to put the corners on islands and generally cover also helps our DL, as QBs can't find receivers. Every week, opposing fans bitched about their playcalling because they'd throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and long. That wasn't the play call, there was nothing there for them, and this was all they had or the QB was going to eat it.

Then there is the LB unit. Anthony Walker is better than any LB we've had since, maybe Pat Fitzgerald. I say maybe because Walker is way ahead of Fitz athletically but Fitz didn't get burned by misdirection as Walker did against Michigan and Iowa. You're gonna hear his name called all day, and he will be in the backfield and he will spy Dobbs and Dobbs will not do anything against him on the ground. The other two aren't special, but they are solid.

This defense is solid across the board, and I do not fear UT putting up big numbers on us. If you can get us to turn the ball over (we are generally not that turnover prone, but it happens - see Michigan and Iowa), and get short fields and put the D on the field continuously, that's where we get hurt. But, otherwise, I don't see any weaknesses. We are good against the pass, good against the run, good against throwing QBs, good against mobile ones. If anything, I'd say we have been susceptible to misdirections (but that seems to have been fixed), struggled with big WR's (or at least the one we saw, who go figure played for Ball State, but will play on Sundays), and have dipped with injuries (unfortunately for you, we appear to be full strength going into the bowl with the return of Matt Harris recently, and Traveon Henry and Nick Van Hoose who were banged up against Illinois are expected to be healthy, and we get Kyle Quiero back - only starter who is out is Jaylen Prater, one of our LBs but perhaps the weakest/least experienced of any of our starters on the D and he probably been Wally Pipped, as another poster pointed out elsewere by Nate Hall).

The game comes down to whether we can generate any offense to get a couple scores (we still need points to win, no matter how good our D is), and whether you can benefit from turnovers and the return game. Thorson has brief periods of brilliance, but I do not trust our passing game to do anything against UT. Even with your secondary. Maybe Fitz and McCall will surprise me and UT by opening up the playbook and taking big shots down the field and these three weeks of practice will be focused on unleashing what we have not seen all year - a decent passing game. No, I think you'll see us go to the ground, and I think you will be surprised when you get a chance to see Jackson play. I never thought he was that flashy a runner, but the guy has an ability to make something out of nothing. His majority of yardage is after contact and he has uncanny vision. What he doesn't have is breakaway speed. But, he gets stronger as the game goes on and in that 4th quarter, especially if your D is getting tired, he's going to wear you down with 7 yard runs. If we are nursing a lead, that's how we are going to win.The only games where he hasn't performed are those where inexplicably we only give him the ball a dozen times - usually because we're behind. This guy needs 30+ carries, and if he gets them, he is going to rush for 150 on you.

I'm not afraid of your prolific offense, because we have played better and have shut them down (most notably Stanford). Your best chances to beat us are a) to score early and make us play from behind (probably via turnovers) and b) get some points/field position in the return game. When that happens, we have gotten into trouble (Michigan and Iowa). You are definitely capable of (b) which is the scariest thing to me - though I expect Fitz to squib kick and rugby punt to prevent the big return. He has no problem giving you the ball on your 40 as he'll have confidence in the D to hold you out of scoring and to get some turnovers. We were able to shut down McCaffrey and the Duke guy - but Michigan burned us on the return game.

Last edited:

A few items to consider... Dobbs has 15 TDs to only 5 INTs. Not sure I would bank on an INT in the Outback Bowl.

Our kicker is pretty accurate inside 45 yards. All of his missed kicks vs Bama were outside 50 IIRC. The miss vs Florida was from 55.

That DL is pretty awesome and pretty much the best we've ever had. What is most awesome and which you did not refer to is the depth. We will rotate 9 or 10 quality guys, and so by the 4th quarter, your line will be exhausted. They remind me of the great TCU DL's before they joined the Big 12 in that regard.

What you are not seeing on the film (since it generally focuses on the ball and not what's happening downfield) is how strong our secondary is. Matt Harris only got 3rd team All Conference honors falling behind Nick Van Hoose, which was a travesty, Van Hoose is good, but he had more PBUs and perhaps more exposure because Harris simply wasn't getting thrown on (he was also out for a few games, including Michigan and Iowa and Nebraska). He is a fricking glove. Harris is probably our best cornerback since Sherrick McManus who plays for the Bears now I think. We also get Kyle Quiero back who was out for Michigan and Iowa (and I think a big reason we lost those games) - he's a playmaker as our 5th DB and nickel (see his pick at the end of the Stanford game, which he probably should have run all the way and put up another 7 points on the Cardinal instead of falling down, seeing as how some people still think Stanford was a fluke). Our ability to put the corners on islands and generally cover also helps our DL, as QBs can't find receivers. Every week, opposing fans bitched about their playcalling because they'd throw 3 yard passes on 3rd and long. That wasn't the play call, there was nothing there for them, and this was all they had or the QB was going to eat it.

Then there is the LB unit. Anthony Walker is better than any LB we've had since, maybe Pat Fitzgerald. I say maybe because Walker is way ahead of Fitz athletically but Fitz didn't get burned by misdirection as Walker did against Michigan and Iowa. You're gonna hear his name called all day, and he will be in the backfield and he will spy Dobbs and Dobbs will not do anything against him on the ground. The other two aren't special, but they are solid.

This defense is solid across the board, and I do not fear UT putting up big numbers on us. If you can get us to turn the ball over (we are generally not that turnover prone, but it happens - see Michigan and Iowa), and get short fields and put the D on the field continuously, that's where we get hurt. But, otherwise, I don't see any weaknesses. We are good against the pass, good against the run, good against throwing QBs, good against mobile ones. If anything, I'd say we have been susceptible to misdirections (but that seems to have been fixed), struggled with big WR's (or at least the one we saw, who go figure played for Ball State, but will play on Sundays), and have dipped with injuries (unfortunately for you, we appear to be full strength going into the bowl with the return of Matt Harris recently, and Traveon Henry and Nick Van Hoose who were banged up against Illinois are expected to be healthy, and we get Kyle Quiero back - only starter who is out is Jaylen Prater, one of our LBs, but he has probably been Wally Pipped, as another poster pointed out elsewere) by Nate Hall. If you can get us to turn the ball over (we are generally not that turnover prone, but it happens - see Michigan and Iowa), and get short fields and put the D on the field continuously, that's where you can beat this D.

The game comes down to whether we can generate any offense to get a couple scores (we still need points to win, no matter how good our D is), and whether you can benefit from turnovers and the return game. Thorson has brief periods of brilliance, but I do not trust our passing game to do anything against UT. Even with your secondary. Maybe Fitz and McCall will surprise me and UT by opening up the playbook and taking big shots down the field and these three weeks of practice will be focused on unleashing what we have not seen all year - a decent passing game. No, I think you'll see us go to the ground, and I think you will be surprised when you get a chance to see Jackson play. I never thought he was that flashy a runner, but the guy has an ability to make something out of nothing. His majority of yardage is after contact and he has uncanny vision. What he doesn't have is breakaway speed. But, he gets stronger as the game goes on and in that 4th quarter, especially if your D is getting tired, he's going to wear you down with 7 yard runs. If we are nursing a lead, that's how we are going to win.The only games where he hasn't performed are those where inexplicably we only give him the ball a dozen times - usually because we're behind. This guy needs 30+ carries, and if he gets them, he is going to rush for 150 on you.

I'm not afraid of your prolific offense, because we have played better and have shut them down (most notably Stanford). Your best chances to beat us are a) to score early and make us play from behind (probably via turnovers) and b) get some points/field position in the return game. When that happens, we have gotten into trouble (Michigan and Iowa). You are definitely capable of (b) which is the scariest thing to me - though I expect Fitz to squip and rugby punt to prevent the big return. He has no problem giving you the ball on your 40 as he'll have confidence in the D to hold you out of scoring and to get some turnovers. We were able to shut down McCaffrey and the Duke guy - but Michigan burned us on the return game.

Judging by your post, I know the answer to this already... But just to put a number on things...

Over/Under 160 yards rushing by Tennessee?

This defense is solid across the board, and I do not fear UT putting up big numbers on us. If you can get us to turn the ball over (we are generally not that turnover prone, but it happens - see Michigan and Iowa), and get short fields and put the D on the field continuously, that's where we get hurt. But, otherwise, I don't see any weaknesses. We are good against the pass, good against the run, good against throwing QBs, good against mobile ones. If anything, I'd say we have been susceptible to misdirections (but that seems to have been fixed), struggled with big WR's (or at least the one we saw, who go figure played for Ball State, but will play on Sundays), and have dipped with injuries (unfortunately for you, we appear to be full strength going into the bowl with the return of Matt Harris recently, and Traveon Henry and Nick Van Hoose who were banged up against Illinois are expected to be healthy, and we get Kyle Quiero back - only starter who is out is Jaylen Prater, one of our LBs, but he has probably been Wally Pipped, as another poster pointed out elsewere) by Nate Hall. If you can get us to turn the ball over (we are generally not that turnover prone, but it happens - see Michigan and Iowa), and get short fields and put the D on the field continuously, that's where you can beat this D.

I'm not afraid of your prolific offense, because we have played better and have shut them down (most notably Stanford). Your best chances to beat us are a) to score early and make us play from behind (probably via turnovers) and b) get some points/field position in the return game. When that happens, we have gotten into trouble (Michigan and Iowa). You are definitely capable of (b) which is the scariest thing to me - though I expect Fitz to squip and rugby punt to prevent the big return. He has no problem giving you the ball on your 40 as he'll have confidence in the D to hold you out of scoring and to get some turnovers. We were able to shut down McCaffrey and the Duke guy - but Michigan burned us on the return game.

Thanks for the insights, Evanston. Really looking forward to seeing how it plays out on the field!

Judging by your post, I know the answer to this already... But just to put a number on things...

Over/Under 160 yards rushing by Tennessee?

I'll take the under on that one, though Iowa definitely proved it's not a sure bet.

Watch the Stanford and Wisconsin games though to see why I would take the under.

I don't think it's an indictment of Jackson so much as it is the fact of who we've already faced this year. Samaje Perine of Oklahoma, Derrick Henry of Bama, Georgia's stable of 5 star running backs (despite their loss of Chubb, all of his backups are/were highly touted). Even Florida, Mizzou, and Vandy have decent running to good backs.

I'm not saying he won't get his yards or even potentially be the difference maker for you guys, as he very well may. I'm just saying it won't be anything this team hasn't faced.

As a matter of fact, Jackson's play style sounds almost like Hurd's. He rarely busts a long run or takes it over 20+ to the house, but his yards often come after contact or when he'll seemingly be taken down for a loss. I think this game could come down to the battle of two physical backs (if not the passing game), which should be awesome to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: ricko654321
Thanks for the insights, Evanston. Really looking forward to seeing how it plays out on the field!

Sure, the other thing I think is a factor is how strong your OL is. Iowa was probably the strongest line we saw all season, and I think that had a factor in how they were able to have success against us.

If you have an average or really anything less than an outstanding line, I think you guys are gonna struggle on O. Your QB and RB will not have room to run and Dobbs won't have time to pass. Stanford has a highly touted OL, and yet we absolutely dominated them. Iowa's is better, which is why I'd take them in the Rose Bowl. If your OL is a weakness, then Lord help you.

I'm not sure what happened to Medley during the offseason. He was a great, reliable kicker last year, and just came into the year in the midst of a sophomore slump. He has become much more reliable since the UF/Bama games, although he hasn't been put in a postion to have to make many 45+ yarders since then.

Also, I hate to say this, but if we're being honest with each other and I recall correctly, Bama had the ball in the red zone but took a knee. Derrick Henry was having his way with our tired defense by the end of that game, and if I were a betting man (I am lol), I'd bet Bama would've punched the ball into the end zone in the final minute. Even if Medley hits those 3 FGs, we still likely lose 26-23.

Sure, the other thing I think is a factor is how strong your OL is. Iowa was probably the strongest line we saw all season, and I think that had a factor in how they were able to have success against us.

If you have an average or really anything less than an outstanding line, I think you guys are gonna struggle on O. Your QB and RB will not have room to run and Dobbs won't have time to pass. Stanford has a highly touted OL, and yet we absolutely dominated them. Iowa's is better, which is why I'd take them in the Rose Bowl. If your OL is a weakness, then Lord help you.

Again, while I do think your defense will give us fits, I don't think we'll be incapable of moving the ball. The O line has been what I'd call above average this season, and it's quite the turnaround considering last year they were our greatest weakness. I wouldn't call them great though.

That being said, we were able to run the ball pretty effectively versus Mizzou, Florida, Bama, and Georgia, and I'd say their front seven's are all excellent. I think it's going to come down to how well we throw the ball. If we can't throw the ball, then Lord help us.

Again, while I do think your defense will give us fits, I don't think we'll be incapable of moving the ball. The O line has been what I'd call above average this season, and it's quite the turnaround considering last year they were our greatest weakness. I wouldn't call them great though.

That being said, we were able to run the ball pretty effectively versus Mizzou, Florida, Bama, and Georgia, and I'd say their front seven's are all excellent. I think it's going to come down to how well we throw the ball. If we can't throw the ball, then Lord help us.

Well, I don't think you're gonna be able to pass on us very well either. BTW, we may give up some yards but we do not give up the big play and will jump on mistakes (Stave had 229 yards passing but also gave up 5 TO's). And he had no choice but to pass as they were getting nothing on the ground (-26 yards rushing). Look at what Hogan and McCaffrey did against us and you'll understand why I think you will struggle more than you think. I do not think Dobbs or your RB's are better than Hogan or McCaffery. And I don't think your OL is as good based on your labeling them as merely above average. Again, if your D steps us and creates turnovers gives your O short fields and puts our D on the field too long (possible), if you can have success in the return game (most scary in my opinion), and if your OL can dominate our DL (doubtful) then the Wildcats are gonna have trouble. Otherwise, I would like our chances.

Well, I don't think you're gonna be able to pass on us very well either. BTW, we may give up some yards but we do not give up the big play and will jump on mistakes (Stave had 229 yards passing but also gave up 5 TO's). And he had no choice but to pass as they were getting nothing on the ground (-26 yards rushing). Look at what Hogan and McCaffrey did against us and you'll understand why I think you will struggle more than you think. I do not think Dobbs or your RB's are better than Hogan or McCaffery. And I don't think your OL is as good based on your labeling them as merely above average. Again, if your D steps us and creates turnovers gives your O short fields and puts our D on the field too long (possible), if you can have success in the return game (most scary in my opinion), and if your OL can dominate our DL (doubtful) then the Wildcats are gonna have trouble. Otherwise, I would like our chances.

All I can say to that is it will truly depend on how well our coaches have game planned, and which Dobbs/receiver corps shows up. The inconsistency we've displayed all season long with so much talent is mind boggling. A lot of us think Jones is (sadly) still learning how to coach at this level. I'm not underestimating you at all. I honestly just think there will be no in between for us. I think we will either move the ball with relative ease if we get in a groove, or fall apart early and often. It's frustrating to say the least.

I'm looking at this game very objectively, because we've already improved our standing in the SEC. A loss here wouldn't be season defining or crushing to me at all given you're a very respectable opponent, and a win would just be a nice consolation prize. Again, I'm not hanging my happiness on this game, I'm just glad there's a little more UT football left in my immediate future. :D

Well, I don't think you're gonna be able to pass on us very well either. ... I do not think Dobbs or your RB's are better than Hogan or McCaffery.

I think perhaps you are underestimating the power of our primary running back (Jalen Hurd) and the elusiveness of our QB (Josh Dobbs) when he decides to carry the ball, Evanston.

I'm all in with your pride of the NU front seven. A lot of Vols fans are underestimating Lowry and Gibson, and will be surprised at how physical and talented those guys--the entire DL, I should say--are. You're right about that.

But we've already faced four very good defenses this year, so have a pretty good feel for our guys' ability to generate yards even when the opponent is camping in our backfield.

You're right about our OL's inexperience and average abilities. Just saying you may be off about our backfield.

If I were a betting man, I'd take the 'over' on Tennessee rushing yardage == 150. And if it's significantly over that, I think the Vols will likely win the game.

I don't think it's an indictment of Jackson so much as it is the fact of who we've already faced this year....Jackson's play style sounds almost like Hurd's.....

William, having watched two of NU's games so far (Stanford and Wisconsin), I'd equate Jackson more closely to Travis Stephens or perhaps the Pig Howard style of running (for NU fans' sake: this is high praise, both players, esp. Stephens, are beloved). Not as small or light as a true scat back, but relies more on vision and elusiveness than power to make his yards. If I had to equate him to one of our backs, I'd go more Kamara than Hurd. He is a good runner. And you're right, we have seen even better this year.

All I can say to that is it will truly depend on how well our coaches have game planned, and which Dobbs/receiver corps shows up. The inconsistency we've displayed all season long with so much talent is mind boggling...I honestly just think there will be no in between for us. I think we will either move the ball with relative ease if we get in a groove, or fall apart early and often. It's frustrating to say the least.

This. 100x this. Key to the game, I think.

Last edited:
I'll take the under on that one, though Iowa definitely proved it's not a sure bet.

Watch the Stanford and Wisconsin games though to see why I would take the under.

I posted this in response to you in another thread.. You didn't respond. Don't want to be a broken record but it is pretty relevant content.

Run Defense Rank; Avg YPG; Tennessee's NET rushing yards

Bama; 1st; 74ypg; 132 yards
Northwestern; 14th; 177.8 ypg; ???
Arkansas; 16th; 120 ypg; 133 yards
Florida; 17th; 121 ypg; 254 yards
Mizzou; 27th; 133 ypg; 248 yards
Vandy; 37th; 143 ypg; 331 yards
Oklahoma; 46th; 149 ypg; 129 yards
Georgia; 48th; 152 ypg; 207 yards

I like that you think your defense can stop the run against anyone. They very well may stop us on 1-1-16. However, we run for more than average against some pretty good run defenses.

We average 224 ypg for the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT