ADVERTISEMENT

“Warning” for tonight

I was a bit disappointed that the announcers used the word “suspension” but not the word “rape” or “arrested” when talking about Shannon. They were probably told not to. Family show.

That said, when Shannon went to the line for the first time, the announcers stayed absolutely silent for both free throws, as the students lit him up with “no means no”. I think the announcers were making a bit of a point by letting it breathe there.

Shannon was not good, and it was partially rust and partially the students in his head. I can only hope it happens the rest is the season, while Illinois fans proudly cheer on their likely rapist.
As somebody who has done this before, I also thought the announcers consistently laying off for very very long periods of time during Shannon chants was too conspicuous to not have been on purpose.

Reactions: ricko654321
This is progress. How great is it that the fans are so ravenous that it scares the administration? Their protestations will only feed it - making W-R an even bigger house of horrors than it has become.

I think it is very likely that what is specifically alleged probably happened. I also think there is some room for debate as to whether that should be called "rape" and whether it should ruin the life of a talented young man.

But the baseline for discussion should be that what is alleged most likely did happen.
What has been alleged, if true, will probably ruin the life of the young woman. Trauma like that can impact someone for a long time.

Reactions: phatcat
I think it is very likely that what is specifically alleged probably happened. I also think there is some room for debate as to whether that should be called "rape" and whether it should ruin the life of a talented young man.

But the baseline for discussion should be that what is alleged most likely did happen.
We can't possibly normalize inserting body parts, any body parts, into a woman's body against her will. The law has to send a message and going on debating rape here seems to go against that idea.

My wife was telling me yesterday, as I brought her up to speed on Shannon, that she remembers at least 3 similar incidents, with friends of hers, at bars. She was telling me one where the girl was like "joke's on you morthfu****, I was driving all day, enjoy the fish". Women have been swallowing stuff like this for way too long. Enough.

Reactions: purplehaze5255
Saw plenty of gripes from Illini fans about the students about their treatment of Shannon. Misguided, regardless of the case. "No means no" isn't abusive or profane. As fodder for mocking another player? I'm not as comfortable with that. But he fought to play; university leadership hasn't appealed the order and says it will "monitor the case"; and Underwood put him on the floor.

This situation is hitting close to home for us (not a family member, thank God). My strong advice for any high-profile college athlete is to find yourself a steady (or steadies) and stay in the crib.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I’d take it to the bank that he is. There’s a lot of information out there and supposedly the bar had a camera on him the entire time. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong but it’s one of those wrong place wrong person situations. Read up on what has been put out by the courts and it’s really not damning at all towards him.
So if the bar had a camera on him the entire time and this is clear cut nothing… why is the process continuing? Hmm. He allegedly stuck his fingers in a girl’s, you know, so yeah it’s not looking good for him.

Hopefully the truth will come out in front of an impartial and qualified judge, we'll get a result, and then maybe we'll find out what really happened.

I thought it was clear the announcers were told to not comment on it on air. That it was not their choice.
I interpreted Berry's hard foul on Shannon as a personal statement. "I am sick of you, you a-hole" When's the last time Ty Berry did something like that? If you answer "never" you are correct. Very proud of Ty Berry for stepping up and doing what needed to be done.

I interpret Robbie Hummel's full-throated objection to that being a "flagrant" foul as a full-throated objection to Shannon being in the game. Especially when he added something about "he could have just blasted him in the face..."

I can interpret things however I see fit.

People probably didn't notice, but Shannon

a) didn't really drive to the basket after that foul - except when we allowed him a layup in overtime.
b) turned the ball over 3 times after that foul.

So if the bar had a camera on him the entire time and this is clear cut nothing… why is the process continuing? Hmm. He allegedly stuck his fingers in a girl’s, you know, so yeah it’s not looking good for him.
Read the charging documents, the location of the alleged incident isn’t on camera. Cameras can see her coming and going to the part of the room he was in and see him coming and going into that corner of the room as well, and can follow her leaving in distress. I’m sure this will get clarified in court, but what that sounds like is the we’re near the corner of a probably not that large underground bar area and the camera is oriented toward the door and the bar and they were close enough under it that it didn’t pick them up… of that the room they were in is larger and has multiple large alcoves that fit a bunch of people each and the only camera was out in the main room and can’t see into that alcove. So they were able to corroborate her coming and going and him being g nearby following her timeline, but they couldn’t corroborate their interaction.

We can't possibly normalize inserting body parts, any body parts, into a woman's body against her will. The law has to send a message and going on debating rape here seems to go against that idea.

My wife was telling me yesterday, as I brought her up to speed on Shannon, that she remembers at least 3 similar incidents, with friends of hers, at bars. She was telling me one where the girl was like "joke's on you morthfu****, I was driving all day, enjoy the fish". Women have been swallowing stuff like this for way too long. Enough.
Imagine if a guy got his finger up your ass. What kinda of penalty would you think appropriate? I think it starts with the loss of a finger, maybe a hand, perhaps the arm, could even support firing squad.

Whether it ruins her life or not - in a civilized society, his actions have no place. Let him live among the uncivilized - but most certainly to not allow him to join the financially elite.

I interpreted Berry's hard foul on Shannon as a personal statement. "I am sick of you, you a-hole" When's the last time Ty Berry did something like that? If you answer "never" you are correct. Very proud of Ty Berry for stepping up and doing what needed to be done.

I interpret Robbie Hummel's full-throated objection to that being a "flagrant" foul as a full-throated objection to Shannon being in the game. Especially when he added something about "he could have just blasted him in the face..."

I can interpret things however I see fit.

People probably didn't notice, but Shannon

a) didn't really drive to the basket after that foul - except when we allowed him a layup in overtime.
b) turned the ball over 3 times after that foul.
Ty is a great guy so 100% could see him being “the hero” in that situation and doing what needed to be done. I never ever root for injuries and always cheer when opposing players get up after an injury but I stayed silent when TSJ did and I’m not sorry about it one bit.

Reactions: zbag51
Ty is a great guy so 100% could see him being “the hero” in that situation and doing what needed to be done. I never ever root for injuries and always cheer when opposing players get up after an injury but I stayed silent when TSJ did and I’m not sorry about it one bit.
Ty got run over by somebody in the first half and smacked his head on the floor.
I think it was Shannon.
Berry missed some time clearing the cobwebs, rubbing the back of his head on the bench.

So my guess is the hard foul Berry used as payback was the product of controlled anger, with a bit of leadership attached.
Guys play great when they are angry, but under control.

Pretty amazing how he has stepped up now that Audige is no longer the emotional leader.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT