ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Duke vs. Northwestern

Tough loss, but we got outplayed by a team that nearly everyone on here underrated.

Looking for a positive spin - Duke looked better than Nebraska at QB and tailback. Duke definitely better than Nebraska on both sides in the trenches. Duke secondary vastly superior to Nebraska. Duke is just significantly better than our first opponent.

We apparently underestimated Duke's physicality and aggressive play on defense and I'm sure we were surprised our offensive line was pushed back throughout the game. When we can't run it we struggle because we don't want to "risk it" by throwing downfield. Being favored by 10 in a pick 'em game is a recipe for that sort of thing. I wonder if anyone asked beforehand "What do we do if we can't run the ball?" I do think we made some adjustments that slowed the Duke running attack after they shredded us in the first half.

I'm glad we found Hull out of the backfield so often - otherwise our only other weapon was the tight end Gordon, who played very well.

Looking ahead, our line play is not what we thought it might be after the first game, so unless Duke has a great year, we are not going to win the West.

Tough loss, but we got outplayed by a team that nearly everyone on here underrated.

Looking for a positive spin - Duke looked better than Nebraska at QB and tailback. Duke definitely better than Nebraska on both sides in the trenches. Duke secondary vastly superior to Nebraska. Duke is just significantly better than our first opponent.

We apparently underestimated Duke's physicality and aggressive play on defense and I'm sure we were surprised our offensive line was pushed back throughout the game. When we can't run it we struggle because we don't want to "risk it" by throwing downfield. Being favored by 10 in a pick 'em game is a recipe for that sort of thing. I wonder if anyone asked beforehand "What do we do if we can't run the ball?" I do think we made some adjustments that slowed the Duke running attack after they shredded us in the first half.

I'm glad we found Hull out of the backfield so often - otherwise our only other weapon was the tight end Gordon, who played very well.

Looking ahead, our line play is not what we thought it might be after the first game, so unless Duke has a great year, we are not going to win the West.
Probably no chance to win the West even though there are some teams that aren't that good, it would be great if we could just get to six wins. We could win one more or seven more who knows

Probably no chance to win the West even though there are some teams that aren't that good, it would be great if we could just get to six wins. We could win one more or seven more who knows
I just puked, hearing 6 wins and a bowl yet again. 9 wins or 3 wins, That is NU football. 6 wins is meh. For God's sake, aim higher!

• Love
Reactions: drewjin
I just puked, hearing 6 wins and a bowl yet again. 9 wins or 3 wins, That is NU football. 6 wins is meh. For God's sake, aim higher!
Dude, chill. That is the goal for this year, if you honestly assess our talent level and experience. Obviously Fitz is aiming higher, and in the big picture, we'll compete for championships in some years, but in other years, you call a 6-6 record success, especially after a 3-9 season. This year, I'll take 6-6, although we still have an outside shot at winning the B1G West.

Dude, chill. That is the goal for this year, if you honestly assess our talent level and experience. Obviously Fitz is aiming higher, and in the big picture, we'll compete for championships in some years, but in other years, you call a 6-6 record success, especially after a 3-9 season. This year, I'll take 6-6, although we still have an outside shot at winning the B1G West.
I believe this team can do better than 6-6 this year, if they come together. If you aim for 6-6, that's what you might get. if you aim higher, that's what you could get.. Would I be happy with 6-6 this year--yeah, sort of, but only if we were aiming for 9-3 and couldn't get there. PLEASE stop saying 6 wins and a bowl! It is counter-productive.

We're not using the WRs effectively. If you have a 6'5" WR who can run over 23 mph, you have to stretch the defense down the field occasionally.

If you aren't moving the ball - there are plenty of situations where just chucking the ball 45 yards down the field to a receiver seems like a worthwhile attempt.

The refs love to call defensive pass interference. Practice getting those calls. Maybe underthrow the receiver on purpose. Seems to work most of the time.

Maybe we complete the pass. Maybe their guy falls down and we score a TD. Maybe the pass is intercepted and the result is identical to a pre-mature punt. Otherwise its just incomplete and you try it again!

I'm only half-kidding. We seem to have a phobia that stops us from throwing deep.

Unfortunately, probably could have sat on it for quite a bit longer.
Sadly, yes. Said it before and I’ll say it again - NIL, grad transfers and academic restrictions are a bad combo for the health of our program. Thank heavens for the BTN.

Sadly, yes. Said it before and I’ll say it again - NIL, grad transfers and academic restrictions are a bad combo for the health of our program. Thank heavens for the BTN.
NIL is bad in general, but it will impact NU negatively. We will not be able to attract or retain NFL-calibre players.

Grad school transfers are not going to be as prominent as they are now because of the Covid exemption. However, it is a POSITIVE for NU, not a negative. Nearly all of the grad transfers will be looking to trade UP degree-wise, not down.

In my opinion, the rule changes will make it impossible for NU to compete at the highest levels, but could improve our ability to be consistently "pretty good."

NIL is bad in general, but it will impact NU negatively. We will not be able to attract or retain NFL-calibre players.

Grad school transfers are not going to be as prominent as they are now because of the Covid exemption. However, it is a POSITIVE for NU, not a negative. Nearly all of the grad transfers will be looking to trade UP degree-wise, not down.

In my opinion, the rule changes will make it impossible for NU to compete at the highest levels, but could improve our ability to be consistently "pretty good."
NIL money is paid by individual boosters, not by the university. If NU has boosters so willing to open their wallets to build new facilities, how do you know they wouldn't do the same for NIL payments?

NIL money is paid by individual boosters, not by the university. If NU has boosters so willing to open their wallets to build new facilities, how do you know they wouldn't do the same for NIL payments?
Instead of cultivating a winning program that develops a sense of pride among alumni and leads to a desire to prolong or increase it with financial commitment, NU is catering to a single alum and maintains a program that is more of an embarrassment.

For example, one would think former players and teammates of PF that play(ed) in the league and / or succeeded in life would be all over NIL opportunities. Where are they? What about Wilbon or Mike?

Because they haven’t?

@CoralSpringsCat has been trying to find our “NIL Pat Ryan” on the Rock for some time now. Unfortunately he hasn’t emerged yet.

Because they haven’t?

@CoralSpringsCat has been trying to find our “NIL Pat Ryan” on the Rock for some time now. Unfortunately he hasn’t emerged yet.
Well, if I were inclined to donate to a NIL collective, I might want to wait until any potential issues are worked out in the legal realm. This is a brand new field where the rules haven't really been solidified, and I'm sure there will be roadblocks on the way. Once things become more standardized on what is and isn't allowed, then more people might be inclined to participate without worrying about legal ramifications.

If CoralSpringsCat wants to reach the most potential donors, why would he limit the discussion to The Rock? Why wouldn't he want to widen the net?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT