ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for Northwestern vs. Purdue

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Are you ready for the Cole Freeman Era? I had heard he might be the guy today. Freeman, Richardson and Lausch were all dressed and warming up, but Freeman took reps with the ones. (I'm at Ross-Ade today.)

It's a cold and windy day in West Lafayette. Look for NU to run the ball, eat clock, muck up the game and just hope Purdue makes some mistakes to give them a shot late in the game. I'm not optimistic.

Reactions: drewjin
Cats D with a stop on opening drive - after giving up 40+ yds.

Nice sack after blitz and great stops on 3rd and 4th and 1

Well done

Yes, my expectations are that low

What the Hull? Trips on first down, then goes down easily on ankle tackles.

Apparently Freeman has been shedding the defense in practice. Hope he gets to do that today.

Well done

The defense is really struggling against the run, which isn't especially surprising. They never seem to be in the right place.

Well done

Guess who was in on that sack? Brendan Flakes, the frog DT. That was his first snap today, maybe first of the season at DL. And he got in on the sack, so pretty cool. But McLaughlin is the one who made that play.

Guess who was in on that sack? Brendan Flakes, the frog DT. That was his first snap today, maybe first of the season at DL. And he got in on the sack, so pretty cool. But McLaughlin is the one who made that play.
He played earlier this season

Reactions: mountaindrew
There was no doubt that Purdue would score on that drive. The tackling is just criminal.

That first down reminded me of how we used to chant, "Rose Bowl" when we made a first down back in 1981! Sad memory, can't believe this team reminds me of that team!

There was no doubt that Purdue would score on that drive. The tackling is just criminal.

Gee, I wonder what will happen if Mueller follows Gallagher through the same gap on a running play?!? Hmmmm, let me guess.... nobody will be there in the gap that the running back actually went through??? Of course! And the RB doesn't get touched until he's in the secondary.

Good Lord. Our linebackers are KILLING me.

The Rock is probably saying Fitz is preserving Jack Lausch's redshirt...wait
You guys realize a majority of freshman literally don't have the muscle mass it takes to play in the B1G? Would bey a safety hazard to put a skinny kid like Lausch out there.

Freeman so far is doing okay. Hasn't shown much of an arm but don't know if that's because of the weather. Navarro had beat his man and if the pass had been a little longer that would've been an easy 6.

Reactions: mountaindrew
Niro with the great tackle on the kickoff.

Cole is playing as well as any NU QB this season.

Yes Sir. That flag pattern to Navarro just missed from being a TD. He threw it into the wind, and if the pass had two more feet on it.... touchdown. I like this kid. Agree with DaCat - he's got a Peyton Ramsey arm, but also has his confidence.

Last edited:
The cold weather and frozen field is really a factor. Our guys have slipped and fallen, particularly on the TD, while both teams have dropped passes and both QBs are having trouble gripping the ball.

The team is improving. Doesn't help to have a 4th string QB in there. They are not good, at all, but they don't seem to have quit.

The team is improving. Doesn't help to have a 4th string QB in there. They are not good, at all, but they don't seem to have quit.

Agree. That said, our gadget plays haven't fooled a single defender on Purdue yet today. Puhleeze.

• Sad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT