ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread: Northwestern @ Rutgers

I'm at the game. This is bad. Worse than the on field protest. And I thought that was an all time low for my beloved Northwestern Wildcats.

Give Schiano some credit. Good 4th down calls, no dumb or 1st game penalties, good execution. Cats were beaten on the both lines, and were a yard short multiple times. I actually thought they might look worse. Braun has done OK with the hand he was dealt.

Completely agree. It is the trenches. It makes everything else look worse and sometimes cascades when players start to press and get out of position to try to make up for the deficiency.
Anyone with a modicum of football knowledge can see our problems are squarely in the trenches. Both sides. The rest of the team isn’t as bad as it seems. Until they work they way up from awful to almost adequate, NU games will be over early.

Games are usually won in the trenches, hopefully those in charge can coach them up more, and soon. If we look like this for an entire season, the program is in deep trouble, especially with expansion coming up next season and no divisions.

Bajakian is horrible. How does he have six step drop back on a 3rd down with a shitty oline and Rutgers most likely blitzing.

Maybe we should play with no offensive line and just Aid receivers snap the ball and pass instantly probably better than where we are now

Don’t sweat it, he is a dead man walking, just like every other Coach
This. I don’t want to overreact to one game, but the odds are that there will be a complete reset to the program at the end of the year. Short of a storybook season, which does not look likely, everybody will be gone come December from the coaches to the support staff. The only real question is whether Gragg is leading this or someone else. At this point, seems like it will be Gragg, which is not encouraging.

It would appear that 21-22 NU-style ‘complementary football’ is still alive.

Bad O, Bad D, Go Cats!

You can’t win games if you can’t score. The offense hasn’t demonstrated any ability to sustain a drive. The defense has been on the field all game. Agree a total program reboot will occur but hopefully with a new AD as well.

Jim O'Neill, feeling vindicated? Not much you can do without linemen.
No, just no. This defense looks 1000 times better than what we saw the last two seasons. The defense looks organized, they know their assignments, players are flowing quickly in a position to make plays. That was not the case often during the O’Neil era.

The freshman Knox was in on the OL, not sure how much he’s played. He had locked up a DT, while Wrather (the high-snappin’ center) doubled on the other DT as the blitzing backer decapitated Bryant.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT