ADVERTISEMENT

Lia Thomas is a National Champion

just a wag:
5%
.5%
I guessed 3% and .25% The poll said the actual %'s were 3% and 1% but the public stated 30% were gay or trans. I am sure there are a variety of figures out there about the actual %'s but the general public's perception of the number may reflect the disproportionate amount of attention these subgroups receive

Your estimates were pretty close and reasonable but I found the 30% figure to be astonishing

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I guessed 3% and .25% The poll said the actual %'s were 3% and 1% but the public stated 30% were gay or trans. I am sure there are a variety of figures out there about the actual %'s but the general public's perception of the number may reflect the disproportionate amount of attention these subgroups receive

Your estimates were pretty close and reasonable but I found the 30% figure to be astonishing
Not surprising given the media attention around Thomas and others.

The thing about the media is that most news covers the tips and tails of the distribution. “Normal” is not really newsworthy. So events are often perceived as bigger or more common than they are.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Lost generation.

Is it any wonder. These young kids have been told by the woke Left that masculinity is toxic and the root of so many social ills. No wonder these young impressionables want to opt out. Having a peter is like a scarlet letter is some segments of society.

Maher has some great comments on this topic:

Last edited:
Lost generation.

Is it any wonder. These young kids have been told by the woke Left that masculinity is toxic and the root of so many social ills. No wonder these young impressionables want to opt out. Having a peter is like a scarlet letter is some segments of society.

Maher has some great comments on this topic:

This survey was already posted here. The reason so many people identify as LGBT is the increasing recognition among all people, including women, that making out with women is super hot.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Here is another aside but generally related to the topic. I was listening to the radio about a poll about the percentage of homosexuals and transgenders in the population. Take a shot at the answers then I will give you the poll responses and the actual %'s
1. % Gays
2. % Trans
While people tend tend to estimate then % at around 23% % gay the real numbers have generally always been considered to be around 1 to 2%. Kinsey put out numbers of 10% but they were pretty bogus and have led to a lot of that overestimation.

More recent surveys might say gay AND bisexual being close to 3% with about 1-1.5% saying they are homosexual and 0.5-1.5 saying they are bisexual (maybe a lot of that is experimentation). Transgender comes in at about 0.3%.

These %s would seem to make some sense. I have been doing a survey for the US Census and interviewing people and recently(last few months) they have put in a series of questions along these lines asking about sexual orientation and transgender issues. While the numbers that I have talked to and selection process is not necessarily random, of the people I have talked to, one person said they were bi sexual and everyone else said they were straight. There were also transgender questions and so far no one that I have asked the questions has given any answers indicating transgender issues.

That is pretty close to what I have seen. But only about 1-1.5% consider themselves to be homosexual and the rest bisexual (but maybe a lot of that is just about experimentation). The number claiming to be transgender is significantly higher than I have seen anywhere. In any event, what people think are the %s is astoundingly wrong (probably because of the emphasis in our media)

Last edited:

I’m purely hypothesizing but my assumption of 5% was based on a standard normal distribution. It was just a guess but it seemed like it might apply to the population as a whole.

I’m purely hypothesizing but my assumption of 5% was based on a standard normal distribution. It was just a guess but it seemed like it might apply to the population as a whole.
Every number I have seen tends to indicate % gay(homosexual) to be 1-2% of the population. If you include bisexual the number gets a bit higher but by definition, bisexual is not gay.

Every number I have seen tends to indicate % gay(homosexual) to be 1-2% of the population. If you include bisexual the number gets a bit higher but by definition, bisexual is not gay.

Do think the number might be higher as some are still reluctant to be forthcoming about their true orientation?

It is well-known that people are incredibly ill-informed about a lot of things. This is just another example of it. The public similarly vastly overestimates the fraction of the population that is Black, unemployed, the fraction of babies born with birth defects, etc.

Do think the number might be higher as some are still reluctant to be forthcoming about their true orientation?
Maybe in the past but a whole lot less likely today. That is what gets it from around 1% to maybe 2% figure. Most of the surveys tend to be anonymous. The media would like you to believe it is a lot higher and currently there tends to be a lot of incentives to say that they are.

Bottom line, the %that are gay is really pretty small and they have society twisting in knots to accommodate them often trampling on the rights of others. Not saying that their rights should not be respected, just that the rights of others should not be violated in the process.

just a wag:
5%
.5%
These polls have OC collated wildly depending on how you asks these questions for many years, especially recently. You can get over 10% of like “non cos or straight” type responses if you want to at this point.

Ugh. Disgraceful!
I don't believe a person who is formerly physically a guy should compete in women's spsorts, regardless of the hormones. Disgraceful, though, I'm not sure. We've got to start somewhere in helping transgender people find their identity. Like it or not, this is a real thing. What about the reverse, transgender men (formerly women) competing in men's sports, is that okay?

I don't believe a person who is formerly physically a guy should compete in women's spsorts, regardless of the hormones. Disgraceful, though, I'm not sure. We've got to start somewhere in helping transgender people find their identity. Like it or not, this is a real thing. What about the reverse, transgender men (formerly women) competing in men's sports, is that okay?
Definitely a real thing. just not as prevalent as the media might suggest. No one should feel excluded from society due to race, gender, class, etc. That’s easy enough to see.

But the question about the Thomas issue is whether her needs as a trans athlete take precedence over the needs of biological female athletes when the trans athlete is very, very clearly the minority segment. It’s a equity issue, but one that needs to be flipped over from the typical Progressive stance.

The answer is obvious: it’s not fair to the biological female athletes. Thomas does not need to compete against biological females to express herself as a female. She has many other avenues to so, and hopefully as a competitor can find her way into open competitions of mixed gender, which I think would be the best solution.

Unfortunately some state legislators are taking this into their own hands. I would rather not have a legal remedy, as it is very polarizing. I wish the NCAA, USOC, and high school sport’s governing bodies would grow some balls (yes I wrote that) and address it without cowing to the Woke Left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT