ADVERTISEMENT

Peoples thoughts of Biles pulling out of team competition

hdhntr1

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2006
And leaving the US to compete with three. They still got silver but what do you think of her actions?

If this were back in the day when the athletes were truly amateurs I'd cut her slack. They're basically professionals now, she needs to power through it.

How is it any different than Pippen's game 7 migraine?

Reactions: IGNORE2
If this were back in the day when the athletes were truly amateurs I'd cut her slack. They're basically professionals now, she needs to power through it.

How is it any different than Pippen's game 7 migraine?
Very easy for us to say.

She’s one of the greatest gymnasts, olympians, and athletes in history; and a survivor of repeated sexual abuse by a team doctor that was covered up by USA gymnastics. I venture to say she’s tougher than most of us.
I suspect that CatManTrue knew exactly who Simone Biles is.

I admire her decision to back out. I don’t think it really deprived anyone of an opportunity since they have alternates that step in. I do think based on her comments that she may not have been feeling 100% about competing in these Games saying she was driven to do so to be an example as an abuse survivor. It may also be easier for her to consider backing out having already won multiple golds vs. someone who may feel this is their only shot.

She’s one of the greatest gymnasts, olympians, and athletes in history; and a survivor of repeated sexual abuse by a team doctor that was covered up by USA gymnastics. I venture to say she’s tougher than most of us.
She's overcome a lot of adversity in life and is much stronger than I was at 24 (or at any time in my life).

She's a positive role model for kids everywhere, and especially here in the Houston area. Her gym is near our house, and watching her on TV last night, our kids were amazed to learn that she was the one who built the gym facility where they've gone for summer camps. She and her family represent what's good about this city and this country.

I admire her decision to back out. I don’t think it really deprived anyone of an opportunity since they have alternates that step in. I do think based on her comments that she may not have been feeling 100% about competing in these Games saying she was driven to do so to be an example as an abuse survivor. It may also be easier for her to consider backing out having already won multiple golds vs. someone who may feel this is their only shot.
She’s gotta do what’s right by her.

Maybe she backed out to join the NU football team as a slot receiver, and thus get this thread back on topic?

Isn’t this why the Other Sports Board exists?

Very easy for us to say.
It is one thing to pull out of the individual events as that affects just her legacy and if done soon enough, an alternate could have taken her place. But this affected her teammates. For 3 of the events, an alternate had to come in cold and had to overcome that just to get the silver. While you want to support her, her actions were at a time where they hurt others. If she felt that way she could have pulled out earlier and given another the opportunity to compete.

Last edited:
You give her the benefit of the doubt but you have to wonder if she was feeling this way before they selected the Olympic team. May have been better to say something then and give the alternate a chance to compete.
She could have done it before the event as I believe they have an alternate available. The more I think about it the more wrong I feel she was. And that is because what she did to her teammates and everyone else involved. Her actions could have denied them any chance at a medal. For some of those women, it is the only chance they will ever have to be in olympics and win the gold or any medal. It is remarkable that they were able to get the silver after what she did. If she wasn't in a position to compete, she should have let them substitute for her when they still could but when and how she did it...Just wrong

Reactions: Jam Cat
She’s gotta do what’s right by her.

Maybe she backed out to join the NU football team as a slot receiver, and thus get this thread back on topic?

Isn’t this why the Other Sports Board exists?
We have no gymnastics team so this is the only logical place

Reactions: Darren72
She's overcome a lot of adversity in life and is much stronger than I was at 24 (or at any time in my life).

She's a positive role model for kids everywhere, and especially here in the Houston area. Her gym is near our house, and watching her on TV last night, our kids were amazed to learn that she was the one who built the gym facility where they've gone for summer camps. She and her family represent what's good about this city and this country.
And she has gotten a tremendous amount out of the sport.

Maybe she was a role model but not sure she should be held in same esteem after this.

And leaving the US to compete with three. They still got silver but what do you think of her actions?
She certainly let her team down and since its a team sport, it was costly.
While a physical injury would be forgiveable, "just not being into it" is not.

It was certainly selfish. And its not ok. Hopefully she can become more mentally prepared for things in life as she works through future experiences.

She certainly let her team down and since its a team sport, it was costly.
While a physical injury would be forgiveable, "just not being into it" is not.

It was certainly selfish. And its not ok. Hopefully she can become more mentally prepared for things in life as she works through future experiences.
If it’s so indefensible to quit on your teammates, then why did @Mr Wickerpark quit on you?

I have no idea about the state of her mental health. If she was on the verge of a breakdown, she was right to quit. Didn’t we have a player who was desperately depressed? It’s a dangerous state of mind.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
And she has gotten a tremendous amount out of the sport.

Maybe she was a role model but not sure she should be held in same esteem after this.
And she's given a tremendous amount back to the sport.

She's excelled at the highest level for years. She doesn't have it right now mentally and possibly physically, and though she tried to push through, it wasn't working. She stepped aside today and cheered on her teammates. I don't see why she shouldn't be held in the same esteem.

Read this article about what's she's been through in life. She's still only 24. What a remarkable story. She's an inspiration to kids in our community.

Hopefully it was for just this event. Looks like she saw she was going to have difficulty on one of the elements and was not going to be competitive after seeing how another competitor performed.

Looking forward to seeing her at her best in an upcoming event where she should have more confidence.

And she's given a tremendous amount back to the sport.

She's excelled at the highest level for years. She doesn't have it right now mentally and possibly physically, and though she tried to push through, it wasn't working. She stepped aside today and cheered on her teammates. I don't see why she shouldn't be held in the same esteem.

Read this article about what's she's been through in life. She's still only 24. What a remarkable story. She's an inspiration to kids in our community.

I hope she resolves and strengthens her mental health. Obviously, she has had many people in her life that have loved her, supported her, and got her to the highest levels. Because we both know that it takes more than hard work to get to the olympics. She has been very blessed.

Unfortunately, her physical, then mental failed her this time and it became a competition fail. She knew she let her teammates down just as a QB would if he decided to play hooky in the 4th quarter. It wasnt brave to quit. Thankfully, she apologized.

Exactly what was courage when she quit?
Today's kids are soft. Instead of sucking it up, they quit or go on an assortment of pills. Sad.

Sounds like most Americans to me, not just kids.
Well, yea i guess. I did something similar to her so I get it, but I would never call it courage. Courage is what Colin K did, even though I personally think his courage was misplaced and not necessarily a virtue with him. But thats courage.

I am really interested in this case though. Not necessarily this decorated gymnist who quit but rather all those sports stars who said she had courage to quit. What does that mean?

Im not saying Im right but it suggest to me that they must feel in some sorta bondage to the sport they outwardly appear to love.
Dunno. I just dont know any other reason it could be courage unless she was doing something that others forced her to do. Sorta like our man Andrew Clark.
Fans wanna know.

Well, yea i guess. I did something similar to her so I get it, but I would never call it courage.
Was having Mr. wickerpark cancelled by the mods considered quitting?

And, on a deeper level, how is courage not a virtue - even if misplaced?

Was having Mr. wickerpark cancelled by the mods considered quitting?

And, on a deeper level, how is courage not a virtue - even if misplaced?
Thats a tough question, maybe I conflicted terms but I dont think courage is necessarily virtuous. If it is then I guess his was a plaecebo courage.
As far as wicker, im not sure what the mods did or wicker. Maybe he exhausted himself.
That said, it is time to take my medicine. Doctor's orders. Ive been feeling much better this week. Can you tell?

Well, yea i guess. I did something similar to her so I get it, but I would never call it courage. Courage is what Colin K did, even though I personally think his courage was misplaced and not necessarily a virtue with him. But thats courage.
I'm not sure how much courage Colin K. showed. He was already benched and was looking for a way to be relevant.

He's laughing all the way to the bank with all his Nike NIL bucks. He actually had a private workout scheduled with the NFL, then he decided to cancel that workout at the last minute and hold his own. That definitively demonstrated to me that an actual NFL career was not what he desired, but merely self-promotion.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Thats a tough question, maybe I conflicted terms but I dont think courage is necessarily virtuous. If it is then I guess his was a plaecebo courage.
As far as wicker, im not sure what the mods did or wicker. Maybe he exhausted himself.
That said, it is time to take my medicine. Doctor's orders. Ive been feeling much better this week. Can you tell?
Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Reactions: FloridAlum
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT