ADVERTISEMENT

Peoples thoughts of Biles pulling out of team competition

I was. And I don’t. But thanks for taking the hook, line, and sinker SPC. I just think this kind of topic is better suited for the Other Sports board - but it’s Saul Goodman.
Fishing tackle was invented for me, so don't take too much credit.

You've got to be kidding. I bet you know the name, rank and serial number of ever male athlete who ever lived.
Something about the sports media that if something is remotely interesting, they feel they must cram it down your throat and out your...other end. I got sick of Biles stories - there must be a pun in there somewhere - BEFORE the Olympics, so I've muted the stories about her. For that matter, other than a passing disappointment in the USWNT going down in flames, I haven't followed the Olympics at all. So - mark me down as "don't care" hashtag don't care if you prefer.

You have expressed that you are 50<, right? And otherwise healthy, if I remember. So what was your fuss with covid? Do you not trust the science that says your own immune system is capable?
Stop watching CNN. lol

I know alot of people who felt hoodwinked by Trump and Biden and will not get the booster. If not for mandatory vaccines and bullying i doubt 20% would get a vaccine that doesnt vaccinate. They should change the name of that shot to something other than a vaccine. Its not a vaccine by definition. Vaccines prevent, dont treat. Listen to the cdc.

Wow! The last half dozen Turk posts about the vaccine are ridiculously ignorant.

Delta has changed the entire ballgame, Turk. Your articles with data from 3 months ago are way out of date now. The more contagious, faster-acting Delta strain seems to produce more serious outcomes in children now, and this isn't a statistical anomaly from vaccination demographics.

Also, those with vaccines show better acquired immunity than those who acquired immunity via COVID infection. Your tweaking your immune system is the rubbish dying people are saying in COVID wards now.

Reactions: corbi296
Since the vaccine is 95% effective and even when there is a breakthrough, they would likely only have a mild case. , his decision does not affect anyone who chose to be vaccinated. It may impact others who also chose for themselves not to be vaccinated but not those that have.

It also affects those who do not have the choice to vaccinate because of preexisting conditions or immune deficiencies. That's who I'm concerned about right now.

Your article limits the scope of vaxxed covid positive to only those who have been hospitalized. Thousands more have gotten covid but havent been hospitalized. Getting the vax gives one a head start over staying natural. But my bet is that after you get your 50th booster that your immune system will be dependent.
Why are you against my bet? You took the quick odds, I took the long way around the block. Whats your fuss? If you want to bet against natural immunity and adaptation then im ok with that. Why you upset that I choose natures way?
Look, if i was in a high risk group, id get the medicine. But my group has data that shows i have zero risk for hospitalization. Please tell me why me or a child should get a vax when we would have a better chance by being eaten whole by a shark?
Cmon maaaaannn.

You seem to think the vaccine eventually replaces our immune system. Or that one is "Nature's way" and the other isn't.

LOL!

That's not how this works at all. ROTFLMAO!!!

OMG, that is so fricking ignorant! ROTFLMAO!!!

All that "education" coming home to roost. LMAO!

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Wow! The last half dozen Turk posts about the vaccine are ridiculously ignorant.

Delta has changed the entire ballgame, Turk. Your articles with data from 3 months ago are way out of date now. The more contagious, faster-acting Delta strain seems to produce more serious outcomes in children now, and this isn't a statistical anomaly from vaccination demographics.

Also, those with vaccines show better acquired immunity than those who acquired immunity via COVID infection. Your tweaking your immune system is the rubbish dying people are saying in COVID wards now.
It is one of the wonders of the modern world that while he is not a stupid guy, at least half of Turk posts in general are ridiculously ignorant.

Its going to be interesting. Most of this is unchartered. But if we are going to get to where you think we should be then its going to be up to the usa and europe to get moving pronto on more vaccines to the other countries. The numbers of people who are unvaccinated in many other high density countries is like 5%.

Of course it is unchartered. It’s a novel virus.

That doesn’t mean we have to wonder if vaccines work. They do.

My arguments dont need an intro claiming someone is ignorant. My argument is based on science, so it doesnt matter if you are ignorant.
Your position simply is premature. It would take me a few paragraphs to explain to you how data works but ill simply truncate things and say that the vast majority in this country got their potion within a recent timeframe. More data is needed to show any sustaining or dependent value. But yes, at this time, the potion gives an immune system a jump start in most cases.

Of course it is unchartered. It’s a novel virus.

That doesn’t mean we have to wonder if vaccines work. They do.
It is a sad and terrible thing for me and very healthy people to keep the vaccine from someone else who needs it moreso. It would be too selfish for me to take it while the WHO is pleading with the usa to send more to the very very poor people in africa.

I treated many elite level gymnasts during my career. Many of the young ladies that reach the Olympics have been developed in a corrupt, uncaring environment. The problem begins in the family and is then exaggerated by the "coaches". who discard injured gymnasts like they were spoiled milk. The Olympic gymnasts have survived in a system of intense pressure and unforgiving expectations

The stress on immature shoulders and elbows that is encouraged, if not mandated by high level programs/coaches, takes a heavy toll on these young athletes.
Preach it.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
It is one of the wonders of the modern world that while he is not a stupid guy, at least half of Turk posts in general are ridiculously ignorant.
“It’s like my mama always said: stupid is as stupid does.”

We would have a much better chance of achieving long-term “normalcy” if 100% of the population were vaccinated.

Evidence is building that vaccinated people do not spread the virus as much as unvaccinated people (even the new Delta variant… which itself may never had emerged had more people been vaccinated earlier), which reduces the number of times the virus can mutate and gives us a better chance of managing spread in the long-term.
Didn't Delta variant start in India and go from there to the UK?

Last edited:
Hopefully it was for just this event. Looks like she saw she was going to have difficulty on one of the elements and was not going to be competitive after seeing how another competitor performed.

Looking forward to seeing her at her best in an upcoming event where she should have more confidence.
I was pleased to see she competed in an event as was reported on Tuesday evening's news. Also nice to see she was able to medal.

It was a bit odd though to hear the commentators lauding her Bronze as though it was greater than the Gold and Silver that her competitors earned.

Wow. Sef-realized medical expert Turk speculates. So my post was too old??? What are the dates & sources for your Israel - Iceland claims???

I'm not angry or freaking out. Just pointing out your ignorance. I couldn't help but notice you did not respond to my math problem, which totally debunked the point you were making about Israel & Iceland.

Here is some very recent data, which shows how effective the vaccination is. Straight from the CDC.

https://www.axios.com/chart-vaccina...ses-b93710e3-cfc1-4248-9c33-474b00947a90.html
And this today - I'm sure it won't concern a medical expert such as yourself.

"On Monday, there were more Covid-19 hospitalizations in Florida than at any time in the pandemic. The chief executive of the Florida Hospital Association, Mary Mayhew, told MSNBC that about 95% of those hospitalized were unvaccinated."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ronavirus-cases-hospitalizations-unvaccinated
Now don't make me post the screenshot where you proclaimed victory over COVID, on Sept. 29 2020, "thanks to Trump & Science."

Just another Turk prediction that was horribly WRONG.

Stay safe Turk!
Your posted information did not indicate what you thought it did and you were called on it.

Reactions: Turk
If these are your beliefs that somehow we can get out of this then what is the broad plan since only 14% of the world is vaxxed?
Wouldnt it be reasonable for countries like ours to approve and buy other vaccines from other manufacturing plants instead of rejecting applications of covid vaccines that are already proven and efficient against even the delta ?
According to this, over 4 Billion doses have been given and enough to completely vaccinate over 27% of the world's population

Last edited:
Reactions: FloridAlum
Sept 3rd is in 30 days. This thread sux.

Go Cats!!!
COVID also sux, and it could well influence football again this Fall. Although how it got from Simone Biles to COVID is one of the mysteries only a Rant Board could solve. So, it shouldn't be said we didn't "told you so." :cool:

Last edited:
It is a sad and terrible thing for me and very healthy people to keep the vaccine from someone else who needs it moreso. It would be too selfish for me to take it while the WHO is pleading with the usa to send more to the very very poor people in africa.

No

Irrelevant to my point
You suggested the Delta variant started here and without cases here, the mutation would not have happened. But it did not start here and in a world economy, it would have gotten here regardless. UK had one of highest vaccination rates and it got there easy enough

Reactions: Turk
You suggested the Delta variant started here and without cases here, the mutation would not have happened. But it did not start here and in a world economy, it would have gotten here regardless. UK had one of highest vaccination rates and it got there easy enough

No I didn’t. I suggested that more people getting vaccinated could have prevented the variant from emerging, regardless of source.

No I didn’t. I suggested that more people getting vaccinated could have prevented the variant from emerging, regardless of source.
You said emerged. That indicates started here. It did not. It came out of India so it had already emerged. As far as spread, UK has 70% of the population vaccinated (about 57% fully)and yet they hit a peak of new cases of about 55K two weeks ago and have been averaging 40k throughout the last 1.5 months (they have 20% of the population we do so that is the equivalent of 200k cases per day average. And supposedly it is delta variant.

But here is important part. Death rate is way, way down. A little over 0.1% over that time (about 1.6 million cases and about 1800 deaths) And while it is likely to increase a bit to say 0.2% as cases are coming down but deaths have not yet), still far below the 2% plus it was at the end of last year

Last edited:
Except that is what took place. Corbi +1... Turk - 10!
Willy
I just renewed my basketball season tix. Obviously i wont be going to all the games. Let me know if you or ed and marta want a game. 109 row 4. I know coral will prolly snag a free pair as well. Lol.
Right behind the visiter bench. Waterboy gets a seat too and its hilarious when i sit with him dude has a strong voice and even all the players and coaches look back.

Of course not. But the goal should be to limit mutations. The more people who are vaccinated, the less mutations there will ultimately be. It’s math man.
Maybe we can hit the reset button with the boosters and jab the very very poor countries first instead of being so greedy? I cant in good conscience stand in line before women and children over this dreadful attacking virus.

Anyone who thinks the virus could have been kept from mutating is sorely mistaken

No one said that. The virus will mutate but the more people it infects, the more chances it gets to mutate. The more it mutates, the more likely it is to mutate Into a form that is more resistant to the existing vaccines. The only way to limit the infections and subsequent mutations is to get as many people vaccinated as possible. This is a race between the virus and our Vaccination efforts. The Virus is winning because we have the Turks of the world on “our side”! Hard to overcome. Anybody watch the late 1990s movie with Denzel Washington called Fallen? This situation reminds me of the plot of that movie.

Last edited:
What a performance by that young lady.The first Olympic swimmer from Alaska and she takes gold.Congrats to the entire state of Alaska and to you Alaskawildkat.P.S. Hope you enjoyed the salmon. GO USA

I was pleased to see she competed in an event as was reported on Tuesday evening's news. Also nice to see she was able to medal.

It was a bit odd though to hear the commentators lauding her Bronze as though it was greater than the Gold and Silver that her competitors earned.
Adding on, just learned that Alaskan Olympian Lydia Jacoby is now a 2-Time Medalist having added a Silver in the Women’s Medley Relay.

Her hometown of Seward is hosting a parade for her return today.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Adding on, just learned that Alaskan Olympian Lydia Jacoby is now a 2-Time Medalist having added a Silver in the Women’s Medley Relay.

Her hometown of Seward is hosting a parade for her return today.

U.S. Secretary of State William H. Seward signs a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska for $7 million. Despite the bargain price of roughly two cents an acre, the Alaskan purchase was ridiculed in Congress and in the press as “Seward’s Folly,” “Seward’s icebox,” and President Andrew Johnson’s “polar bear garden.”

Inuit and other Indigenous peoples had inhabited Alaska for thousands of years before the czarist government of Russia established a presence there around the mid-18th century. Russia first approached the United States about selling the territory during the administration of President James Buchanan, but negotiations were stalled by the outbreak of the Civil War. After 1865, Seward, a supporter of territorial expansion, was eager to acquire the tremendous landmass of Alaska, an area roughly one-fifth the size of the rest of the United States. He had some difficulty, however, making the case for the purchase of Alaska before the Senate, which ratified the treaty on April 9, 1867.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
U.S. Secretary of State William H. Seward signs a treaty with Russia for the purchase of Alaska for $7 million. Despite the bargain price of roughly two cents an acre, the Alaskan purchase was ridiculed in Congress and in the press as “Seward’s Folly,” “Seward’s icebox,” and President Andrew Johnson’s “polar bear garden.”

Inuit and other Indigenous peoples had inhabited Alaska for thousands of years before the czarist government of Russia established a presence there around the mid-18th century. Russia first approached the United States about selling the territory during the administration of President James Buchanan, but negotiations were stalled by the outbreak of the Civil War. After 1865, Seward, a supporter of territorial expansion, was eager to acquire the tremendous landmass of Alaska, an area roughly one-fifth the size of the rest of the United States. He had some difficulty, however, making the case for the purchase of Alaska before the Senate, which ratified the treaty on April 9, 1867.
This thread finally became interesting! Can you tell us about the Louisiana purchase next, Coral?

Did you know that Buchanan was likely America’s first homosexual president? I just listened to a podcast about him.

Interestingly, The British had a claim to Alaska as well. On June 1, 1776 Captain Cook's men planted the British Flag at Point Possession just across Turnagain Arm which extends to where I am presently here in Anchorage. Considering that the Russians paid nothing that 7 million dollars from the U.S. was free money. :)

Per chance, I just happened to take these photos earlier today which chronicle the subject event:

IMG_7140.jpg
IMG_7141.jpg
IMG_7132_(1).jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT