ADVERTISEMENT

"Secret scrimmage" vs. Iowa State

When the margin is that thin - 1 or 2 games, guess what, that’s luck. A bad call here, a bad break there, someone gets cold at the wrong time, those are things that happen. And they did happen to some of Carmody’s best teams. If Collins had cleared the tourney threshold with 5, 6 games left in the conference season you could discount luck entirely. Not when it took until the last game to secure our ticket. There were Carmody teams that needed only 1-2 more wins to go to the dance. The difference there is luck.
I'm talking about the stat that said that NU was is the bottom 5 for "luck" three years in a row (versus about 350 other teams) under Collins. This was a Ken Pom stat, applied to the seasons that ended in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

This stat was meant as a proxy for "bad coaching" or "choking" as it measured the final results of our games compared to what the score was with 4 minutes to play.

We were in the bottom 5 teams in three straight years.

So either the players choked or the coach choked consistently for 3 years.

I'm talking about the stat that said that NU was is the bottom 5 for "luck" three years in a row (versus about 350 other teams) under Collins. This was a Ken Pom stat, applied to the seasons that ended in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

This stat was meant as a proxy for "bad coaching" or "choking" as it measured the final results of our games compared to what the score was with 4 minutes to play.

I believe it. Many an NU game ended in a frustrating loss. Maybe with Kopp gone we can finish out some games. 😀

I think most reasonable posters thought that CC should get until Nance graduated to get to 9 wins in the BIG. I think if he gets there in Nance's final season, that's enough to keep him and is probably the ceiling right now for where we are as a developmental program. Anything significantly less than that or another 10 game losing streak, then I'm fine with seeing who else would take the job.

And for the record, when Collins was coming out of Duke I'm sure he had a bunch of other options, but he chose NU. That alone shows me that we can recruit a solid coach. Our money is green too.
Get ready for a new Coach next year then.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Graveyard of coaches? NU has had 2 coaches in the last 22 years. Getting a head coaching job at NU is like getting tenure. No pressure to win, competitive facilities, a solid degree to sell, it's not unreasonable that NU can find a decent coach. Not going to be a top rising star but this isn't the program Rich Falk had to coach in.
Right, please list all the NU Basketball Coaches that went on to even a comparable job after they left NU.

Last edited:

I think we are talking about different things

What is the win/loss that keeps CCC for the opposing group?
I’ll bite and fend off the arrows. This is sure to work up some.

There are 7 teams where we have a SIGNIFICANT talent disadvantage. Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio State. That’s 11 losses if teams play to form. The remaining 6 teams, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Penn State are more aligned with NU on talent. Slightly better or slightly worse. 9 games with these teams. Let’s say we go 6-3 which would be good considering how we have performed against them with these same players, You are looking at 6-12 as par. Now they probably will get an upset or two against the powers to end up 2-9 or something like that, but we’ll also lose to those peers teams probably more than I predicted at 6-3.

so I am going 6 minimum. I am hopeful for 8-9 and think that would be a helleva job with the roster we have. I expect 6-8, but that we bring out the wolves and you will get what most of you want.

Your turn. What number will it take to table the discussion for another season?

There are 7 teams where we have a SIGNIFICANT talent disadvantage. Michigan, Purdue, Illinois, Michigan State, Indiana, Maryland and Ohio State. That’s 11 losses if teams play to form. The remaining 6 teams, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Penn State are more aligned with NU on talent. Slightly better or slightly worse. 9 games with these teams. Let’s say we go 6-3 which would be good considering how we have performed against them with these same players, You are looking at 6-12 as par. Now they probably will get an upset or two against the powers to end up 2-9 or something like that, but we’ll also lose to those peers teams probably more than I predicted at 6-3.

so I am going 6 minimum. I am hopeful for 8-9 and think that would be a helleva job with the roster we have. I expect 6-8, but that we bring out the wolves and you will get what most of you want.

A 5 win season should lead to immediate dismissal for Collins. That would be a nightmare.

We play two games vs Illinois, MSU, Purdue, Minnesota, Penn St, Maryland
Home vs Wisconsin, Indiana, Rutgers
Away vs Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State

Rosy Scenario - Split with Maryland, Split with Illinois, Split with Michigan State, Beat Iowa, Beat Nebraska twice, Beat Minnesota twice, Beat Rutgers, Beat Penn State twice, Beat Wisconsin, Lose to Michigan, Lose to Purdue twice, Beat Indiana, Lose to Ohio State. 13 - 7.

Optimistic Scenario - Go 2-4 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 5-1 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana in Evanston, win at Iowa. 11 - 9.

Reasonable Scenario - Go 1-5 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 5-1 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 2 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, win at Iowa. 9 - 11.

Pessimistic Scenario - Go 1-5 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 4-2 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 2 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, lose at Iowa. 7 - 13.

Nightmare Scenario - Go 0-6 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 4-2 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 1 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, lose at Iowa. 5 - 15.

A 5 win season should lead to immediate dismissal for Collins. That would be a nightmare.

Rosy Scenario - Split with Maryland, Split with Illinois, Split with Michigan State, Beat Iowa, Beat Nebraska twice, Beat Minnesota twice, Beat Rutgers, Beat Penn State twice, Beat Wisconsin, Lose to Michigan, Lose to Purdue twice, Beat Indiana, Lose to Ohio State. 13 - 7.

Optimistic Scenario - Go 2-4 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 5-1 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana in Evanston, win at Iowa. 11 - 9.

Reasonable Scenario - Go 1-5 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 5-1 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 2 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, win at Iowa. 9 - 11.

Pessimistic Scenario - Go 1-5 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 4-2 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 2 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, lose at Iowa. 7 - 13.

Nightmare Scenario - Go 0-6 vs Maryland, Illinois and MSU, Go 4-2 vs Penn St, Minnesota and Nebraska, Beat 1 of these (Wisconsin, Rutgers and Indiana) in Evanston, lose at Iowa. 5 - 15.
You reasonable actually adds up to 8-12. Somehow, I don’t think you will change you tune at 8-12.

I am surprised you are this high, as it would be the second best Big10 win total under Collins, and would be better percentage-wise than all but 2 seasons in the last 50! But, I think winning 3 more games than last year makes sense, given returning leadership, better team chemistry, and freshman talent (pushing others to be better this year).

This is a really solid breakdown.

The haters are going to Hate. You already see the case building for removal of CCC taking place now.

you want amusement, get that group to commit to a win/loss record that keeps CCC. A lot won’t do it because the goalposts will move as the season progresses. They will tell you there is all of this talent on the team and ignore the fact that NU has never had a top 50 recruit. The talent level is probably at 10-12th in the B1G, and light years away for the top half dozen. Yet, the argument will be CCC couldn’t develop that 209th ranked recruit to beat a team full of recruits that are 100 spots higher.

CCC won’t be 500 or better in the B1G this year and he won’t make the real tourney. He’ll probably get fired. The haters will rejoice and there will be a fresh face saying all the right things that will be brought in. We’ll see flashes during the honeymoon and fans will spew optimism. 3-4 years will pass and we’ll be in the same place we always are in- the bottom third of the conference! Wash, rinse, repeat.

Barring a complete disaster or some type of moral/ethical violation, NU needs to stay the course with CCC. Carmody might have had a higher floor, but his ceiling was an inch above this floor. Unless you can find a Coach willing to come to NU ( the graveyard of Coaches) that can somehow get some top 50 recruits you are better off hoping the salesman in CCC lands that guy in the 125 range that should have been too 50.

I miss Mike Webb!
I’ll commit. Any post season tournament.

I am surprised you are this high, as it would be the second best Big10 win total under Collins, and would be better percentage-wise than all but 2 seasons in the last 50! But, I think winning 3 more games than last year makes sense, given returning leadership, better team chemistry, and freshman talent (pushing others to be better this year).
I’m at 9 as well, because with a senior leader like Nance and Buie’s 3rd year there has to be PROGRESS. This team has tons of experience and we are not counting on Freshman having to carry us like some teams. Our first guy off the bench is likely Greer who is a Senior or Young who has multiple years in the program.

think we all want to see if CC can really develop talent. Otherwise we will be having the exact same conversation when Rowan and Hunger are seniors.

A very interesting detail about that play: in the replay starting around 45 seconds in the video below, you can see a young PBJ under the basket. While everyone is going nuts when the ball goes in, PBJ remains cool, calm and collected.

Probably because PBJ had already decided at that early age that he was sick of Northwestern and had turned his dreams toward playing at UW-Milwaukee.

• Haha
Reactions: GatoLouco
Does anybody disagree with the PWB and PPD direction?
I think that if we show good progress this year and win say 8+ conference games then we keep him. That likely means we make some postseason tournament. If we languish at 4-5 or less then I’m ready to move on. If at 6-7 it prob depends on how it plays out. If 6 probably leaning to moving on.

I suspect though in reality it’s unlikely the AD fires him after this year, i think he has one more year unless team really quits on him, but I think the grace period is getting close to expiring.

(Btw I do not mean 8-12 suggests that we sign him to extension or anything crazy - just that he at least gets another year)

You reasonable actually adds up to 8-12. Somehow, I don’t think you will change you tune at 8-12.
No, it is 9-11.
1 win against the best teams, 5 against the worst teams, 2 wins vs (Indiana, Rutgers, Wisconsin) and then the road win at Iowa.
Thats 9 wins.

Now that I have more time I can expand. The 9 is for a 9-11 season. I'm not counting tournament wins. We should have had one of those last year against an extremely depleted MN team. 9 wins should get us into postseason play.

Like you said it's just 3 more wins, experience, etc. And last year's schedule was, IMO, harder than this year's.

Last yearWinsThis yearWins
Michigan (2x)0 of 2@ Michigan0
Illinois (2x)0 of 2Illinois (2x)1
Iowa (2x)0 of 2@ Iowa0
Ohio State (2x)1 of 2@ Ohio State0
Indiana (2x)1 of 2Indiana1
Wisconsin (2x)0 of 2Wisconsin1
Rutgers (2x)0 of 2Rutgers1

@ Penn State0Penn State (2x)2
Michigan State1Michigan State (2x)1
@ Purdue0Purdue (2x)0
@ Minnesota1Minnesota (2x)2
Maryland1Maryland (2x)1
Nebraska1Nebraska (2x)1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL 20/21:6TOTAL 21/22:11

Above is my personal take on a reasonable scenario. It's actually more than 9 wins.

Much better than us (MI, OS, MS, PU, MA) - We win 2 of 8.
Better than us (IL, IN) - Win 2 of 3 (wins at home)
Our level (NE, WI, IA, RU) - Win 3 of 5 (wins at home)
Worse than us (PS, MN) - win 4 of 4

Last edited:
IMO, IL & IN are in the much better than us category. Hell, IL is tanked 11th in the country. We get Broomed in these 3 games, unless the players bone up to stick it to Kopp. Finding 2 wins against those top teams will be challenging. Winning 7 of 9 from the bottom tier (our level) assumes basically zero times being upset, yet we show at least 4 big upsets in your analysis in my view.

what you outline is the absolute best possible outcome from even the most purple clad fan. I hope that is exactly what happens. So if your thought, is the above results is what keeps CCC employed, I would suggest you start a thread on new Coaching candidates now and get a jump on it. We aren’t going 11-9 in the B1G.

Most pundits have NU either 12th or 13th. The best I have seen is 11th. Might be a 10th in there somewhere. Basically, every team is chalking up a W against us in their analysis as you are chalking up against them.

If lines were set for each game in the B1G today we would likely be favored in 6-8 at most.

Unless the program totally melts down this year, I don't see Gragg firing him. He's signed to 2025 right? Also, COVID remains a factor this winter. Hoping CCC makes it a moot point as the Cats live up some projections that they will be improved.

IMO, IL & IN are in the much better than us category. Hell, IL is tanked 11th in the country. We get Broomed in these 3 games, unless the players bone up to stick it to Kopp. Finding 2 wins against those top teams will be challenging. Winning 7 of 9 from the bottom tier (our level) assumes basically zero times being upset, yet we show at least 4 big upsets in your analysis in my view.

what you outline is the absolute best possible outcome from even the most purple clad fan. I hope that is exactly what happens. So if your thought, is the above results is what keeps CCC employed, I would suggest you start a thread on new Coaching candidates now and get a jump on it. We aren’t going 11-9 in the B1G.

Most pundits have NU either 12th or 13th. The best I have seen is 11th. Might be a 10th in there somewhere. Basically, every team is chalking up a W against us in their analysis as you are chalking up against them.

If lines were set for each game in the B1G today we would likely be favored in 6-8 at most.

I hear you. Now, consider seeing it this way:
1) I have 4 wins against the first two brackets: IL, IN, MSU, MA. Last year we beat MSU, IN, OSU, MA who were equally heavily favored against us. I am not even improving last year at this level.
2) Against the next bracket, our level/slightly better than us: I don't think it is a stretch to beat Rutgers, WI or Nebraska (who will beat some heavy weights in Lincoln) at home. I even have us losing at home to IA. We lose any of these games, why can't we get an upset on the road?
3) So #1 and #2 give us 7 wins. Where I think the conference is different is that I believe MN and PSU are weaker than Nebraska was the last two years. And we play them twice. So that was 4 wins for my scenario.

This is 11 wins. I think it's reasonable. But I remind you I picked 9 as an acceptable season.

I hear you. Now, consider seeing it this way:
1) I have 4 wins against the first two brackets: IL, IN, MSU, MA. Last year we beat MSU, IN, OSU, MA who were equally heavily favored against us. I am not even improving last year at this level.
2) Against the next bracket, our level/slightly better than us: I don't think it is a stretch to beat Rutgers, WI or Nebraska (who will beat some heavy weights in Lincoln) at home. I even have us losing at home to IA. We lose any of these games, why can't we get an upset on the road?
3) So #1 and #2 give us 7 wins. Where I think the conference is different is that I believe MN and PSU are weaker than Nebraska was the last two years. And we play them twice. So that was 4 wins for my scenario.

This is 11 wins. I think it's reasonable. But I remind you I picked 9 as an acceptable season.
That’s fair if we pull off the 4 upsets again. If we get those 4 wins in that group, we’ll make your acceptable season. I do agree with your point that Minny and PSU are weaker. To me WI, IA, Rutgers and Nebby on the road are toss up’s. The top teams will be very good in the B1G, out of our class, but mid tier this year didn’t appear to be as deep. Just can’t stub our toes on the Minny’s and PSU’s. Have to go 4-0 there. We are so inconsistent that predicting 4-0 against any two B1G teams scares the crap out of me.

Does anybody disagree with the PWB and PPD direction?
Good, I'm glad we all generally agree. So let's move on from the idea that there's groundswell of support for CC that says the direction of the program is awesome and he should be signed for three more years. It's pretty obvious that this thing is not going in a good direction unless something drastically changes.

EVERYBODY sees what's happening here and every detail doesn't need to be beaten to death.

(Btw I do not mean 8-12 suggests that we sign him to extension or anything crazy - just that he at least gets another year)
At this point, if I were AD, the most I'd give him is a vote of confidence to finish out that crazy contract. And that would probably take 12 or 13 wins.

In the meantime, let's hope these guys show some strong improvement.

At this point, if I were AD, the most I'd give him is a vote of confidence to finish out that crazy contract. And that would probably take 12 or 13 wins.

In the meantime, let's hope these guys show some strong improvement.
Let’s hope. In the meantime, we’ll try to bring up stimulating conversation that keeps the voluminous basketball posters engaged. Bet it takes no more than two posts to circle back to its all CCC’s fault.

I haven't seen a box score, but heard we played a 20 minute half where Iowa State started strong, then two 8 minute segments, one of which both teams played zone by agreement. As I understand it, NU outscored ISU in total by around 12, but I didn't hear the breakdown. Buie, Audige, Berry, Beran and Nance started.
This performance looks better given Iowa State's start to this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
This performance looks better given Iowa State's start to this season.
On the other hand, Wiscy’s early tournament performance suggests they are rapidly improving & will be stronger than most of this board thinks.
Also, dorry to say, but I doubt we beat IL. Either Kofi scores pretty much at will or double or triple team on him & their guards & wings get lots of open 3s.

On the other hand, Wiscy’s early tournament performance suggests they are rapidly improving & will be stronger than most of this board thinks.
Also, dorry to say, but I doubt we beat IL. Either Kofi scores pretty much at will or double or triple team on him & their guards & wings get lots of open 3s.

Every team, by the time conference play starts, is going to look different. New faces, players who did not have the minutes before are now having, skewed perceptions by watching the type of opponent they play. Many factors. That is expected.

Maryland looked great on paper and has been pretty unimpressive. dOSU, same, or close to same. MI, to a lesser extent, same. On the other hand, MN or PSU might be perceived as having more success than expected. I'm more worried about how we look and how we get better, or not, ourselves.

WI? I don't find their improvement all that surprising. They know who they are. They play according to who they are. To some extent, like us, they are a developmental program. But mostly one that plays according to the roster they have. They don't want to be Gonzaga on the floor. They don't have the players for it. They play somewhat "old school" basketball. Which fits their skill set. We could learn something, actually a lot, from it.

Reactions: cats_man_too
Every team, by the time conference play starts, is going to look different. New faces, players who did not have the minutes before are now having, skewed perceptions by watching the type of opponent they play. Many factors. That is expected.

Maryland looked great on paper and has been pretty unimpressive. dOSU, same, or close to same. MI, to a lesser extent, same. On the other hand, MN or PSU might be perceived as having more success than expected. I'm more worried about how we look and how we get better, or not, ourselves.

WI? I don't find their improvement all that surprising. They know who they are. They play according to who they are. To some extent, like us, they are a developmental program. But mostly one that plays according to the roster they have. They don't want to be Gonzaga on the floor. They don't have the players for it. They play somewhat "old school" basketball. Which fits their skill set. We could learn something, actually a lot, from it.
Wisconsin is getting a big lift from sophomore Johnny Davis, who is averaging 20 points this year and did not play in their loss to Providence.

The other surprise has been 7 foot, 234 lbs center Steven Crowl, who only played 3 minutes per game last year, but has stepped up to 23 mpg this year. He was ranked #44 at "center" coming out of high school, 10 spots ahead of Matt Nicholson.

Wisconsin is getting a big lift from sophomore Johnny Davis, who is averaging 20 points this year and did not play in their loss to Providence.

The other surprise has been 7 foot, 234 lbs center Steven Crowl, who only played 3 minutes per game last year, but has stepped up to 23 mpg this year. He was ranked #44 at "center" coming out of high school, 10 spots ahead of Matt Nicholson.

Good for Crowl. He must have looked good in practice. Nice to see a big guy earn more minutes. Hoping MN will do the same.

Another year, another secret scrimmage vs. Iowa St. in Davenport.

I guess both schools have decided this is a good fit.

Another year, another secret scrimmage vs. Iowa St. in Davenport.

I guess both schools have decided this is a good fit.
overheard after the scrimmage...

Iowa State coach: "Hey Chris, where'd you get this Nicholson beast?"
Collins: (laughs) "What do you mean?"
Iowa State coach: "I mean you guys didn't have him last year - where did he transfer from"
Collins: "No we had him last year - he was 3rd string behind Nance and Young"
Iowa State coach: (rolls eyes) "Oh right - Nance was your starting center...."
Collins: "Yeah I keep telling Matt to make some 3's but he's terrible at it"
Iowa State coach: "Well.... yeah.... good luck with the season, coach..."

(Sorry, I just couldn't help it.)

hey maybe it has something to do with NU's admissions policy. You think?

I guess they really did keep it a secret.
All I found is the Iowa State 247 guru saying that they beat Northwestern and their guards played well. One 20 minute period, then two 8 minute periods.

That’s all. No score. No stats. Also Iowa State played two secret scrimmages. Their first one was against Creighton on the 22nd. They said that one did not go well at all.

All I found is the Iowa State 247 guru saying that they beat Northwestern and their guards played well. One 20 minute period, then two 8 minute periods.

That’s all. No score. No stats. Also Iowa State played two secret scrimmages. Their first one was against Creighton on the 22nd. They said that one did not go well at all.
How convenient for Iowa State to stop the game with 4 minutes left.
Thats when we usually go into our "no prisoners" mindset and dominate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT