ADVERTISEMENT

Some Good News: Evansville Grad Transfer Ryan Taylor Commits to NU

I'd go so far as to say it is outstanding news!!

He scored 20 and 27 points against Final 4 Loyola, so the kid can ball. 42% from 3 will also help the NU offense.

This is huge as NU's roster looked like it would struggle to score.

One more significant grad transfer and people will have to re evaluate where they consider this program for next season.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
There goes Ash's minutes....
This must be terrible news for all the pessimists and naysayers on this board. Collins probably paid him under the table, right. He couldn’t possibly have gotten this guy without something we of course will never find out about. Would all you negative people stand so we all know who you are.

I’m very happy with this news.

I heard Taylor was IU bound unless they were landing Romeo Langford and all of sudden they get CB picks for Langford and Taylor commits to NU.

Nonetheless this kid can play. I think Mooney is better but Taylor has a solid jumpshot. I can see him averaging 14-15 pts a game in the Big Ten.

If Collins were able to land Mooney, who has just as much interest as Taylor nationally if not more, it would change the dynamic for next season.

Reactions: IGNORE2
I heard Taylor was IU bound unless they were landing Romeo Langford and all of sudden they get CB picks for Langford and Taylor commits to NU.

Nonetheless this kid can play. I think Mooney is better but Taylor has a solid jumpshot. I can see him averaging 14-15 pts a game in the Big Ten.

That's raises an interesting question: If you need to win right now, do you take the 5* freshman one and done or the grad transfer. From the IU perspective, a 5* potential 1 and done seems the no brainer but its a curious comparison to watch unfold this year.

I'm wondering how Taylor's game will translate to the B10. I looked at his stats on offense over the last two years against the better teams on Evansville's schedule.

'17-'18 (Two best MVC teams are Loyola and SIU)
Duke - DNP
Loyola - 20 pts, 1-5 from 3
Loyola - 27 pts, 3-7 from 3
SIU - 25 pts, 5-16
SIU - 21 pts, 2-3

'16-'17 (Two best MVC teams are ISU and Wichita St)
Louisville - 5 pts, 2-14 from 3
ISU - 11 pts, 1-8 from 3
Wichita St - 17 pts, 2-6
ISU - 3 pts, 1- 3
Wichita St - 8 pts, 1-4
ISU - 10 pts, 1-4

If Collins were able to land Mooney, who has just as much interest as Taylor nationally if not more, it would change the dynamic for next season.

At the very least, it would alleviate a lot of the pressure on the freshmen to step in and immediately be Big Ten starters.

Ryan Taylor now seems like the front-runner to replace Scottie in the starting lineup. Can Mooney play lead guard?

A fun KenPom stat: Taylor took 40.7 percent of Evansville's shots last year, tops in the country.

I'm wondering how Taylor's game will translate to the B10. I looked at his stats on offense over the last two years against the better teams on Evansville's schedule.

Duke - DNP
SIU - 25 pts, 5-16
SIU - 21 pts, 2-3

ISU - 11 pts, 1-8 from 3
Wichita St - 17 pts, 2-6
ISU - 3 pts, 1- 3
Wichita St - 8 pts, 1-4
ISU - 10 pts, 1-4

Sure, but Evansville was very mediocre both years. Not a stretch to suggest those teams keyed in on Taylor and made other guys beat them. I think he can score as a second or third option just fine in the Big Ten.

This must be terrible news for all the pessimists and naysayers on this board. Collins probably paid him under the table, right. He couldn’t possibly have gotten this guy without something we of course will never find out about. Would all you negative people stand so we all know who you are.

I’m very happy with this news.

One has to think that he would have transferred even earlier if Bill Carmody was still the coach!

This is huge as NU's roster looked like it would struggle to score.

One more significant grad transfer and people will have to re evaluate where they consider this program for next season.
Agreed. This is more information, and it's very helpful information!

A fun KenPom stat: Taylor took 40.7 percent of Evansville's shots last year, tops in the country.
Not surprised after seeing the earlier post about his scoring stats against the better teams he played. He isn't shy!

That's raises an interesting question: If you need to win right now, do you take the 5* freshman one and done or the grad transfer. From the IU perspective, a 5* potential 1 and done seems the no brainer but its a curious comparison to watch unfold this year.

That's a very good question. If we land Langford it's great. But if not, I'll be upset because Taylor can play.

Duke - DNP
SIU - 25 pts, 5-16
SIU - 21 pts, 2-3

ISU - 11 pts, 1-8 from 3
Wichita St - 17 pts, 2-6
ISU - 3 pts, 1- 3
Wichita St - 8 pts, 1-4
ISU - 10 pts, 1-4

He did not have Law and Pardon next to him in these games

No doubt about it, Fitz

Honestly, I'm just glad its concrete news and people not speculating about things they know nothing about. Board was getting tedious. Look, the hardest thing to do is to keep winning after you start. Major issues last year but Collins has a big chance with high roster turnover going into next year. That said, freshman rarely win games for you (NU class is not the fab five) so the less reliance on the kids next year, the better. This commit is a big shift away from relying on the freshman and that's a very good thing. Another grad transfer could change the dynamic of the season. The starting 5 has been upgraded big league.

Reactions: IGNORE2
At the very least, it would alleviate a lot of the pressure on the freshmen to step in and immediately be Big Ten starters.

Ryan Taylor now seems like the front-runner to replace Scottie in the starting lineup. Can Mooney play lead guard?

Just had a conversation (and admittedly looked at few seconds of video) about this and the answer from my buddy was - probably no. He's a 2. But I think you might get by with him for stretches on the floor with Gaines and not force Lathon to start from day one or take at least take significant pressure off of Lathon.

Honestly, I'm just glad its concrete news and people not speculating about things they know nothing about. Board was getting tedious. Look, the hardest thing to do is to keep winning after you start. Major issues last year but Collins has a big chance with high roster turnover going into next year. That said, freshman rarely win games for you (NU class is not the fab five) so the less reliance on the kids next year, the better. This commit is a big shift away from relying on the freshman and that's a very good thing. Another grad transfer could change the dynamic of the season. The starting 5 has been upgraded big league.

Seems like AJ Turner is a bit of a "forgotten man" around these parts. While not on Taylor's level as a pure scorer, he's similar in that he was amongst the better players on a mediocre/bad team and has the size/length needed to compete in the B1G. Doesn't seem like Turner will be counted on to fill it up, but could play a defensive "glue guy" role that could be especially important if Taylor is more gunner than wing defender.

Just had a conversation (and admittedly looked at few seconds of video) about this and the answer from my buddy was - probably no. He's a 2. But I think you might get by with him for stretches on the floor with Gaines and not force Lathon to start from day one or take at least take significant pressure off of Lathon.

Mooney or Taylor?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT