ADVERTISEMENT

Some Good News: Evansville Grad Transfer Ryan Taylor Commits to NU

This is great news, and would seem to confirm my suspicion that Collins sees Mooney as an option at lead guard if necessary.

My immediate take is that he trusts Lathon as a Lead Guard. Don’t get the impression Mooney is that kind of ballhandler.

My immediate take is that he trusts Lathon as a Lead Guard. Don’t get the impression Mooney is that kind of ballhandler.

Of course. And I agree with that trust.

That doesn't mean you don't try to get an insurance policy, particularly since Mooney is one of the best available grad transfers out there.

Off season depth charting is my favorite! Sadly, it rarely plays out as expected. Still, here I go...

LG - Lathon, Ash
W1 & W2 - Law, Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Kopp
S4 - Nance, Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson, Young

Have options next season in case of need at S4 by going big or small ball. Biggest need would seem to be a Grad Transfer LG familiar with the system. Doesn't Stanford run a similar system? Just saying...

I like the way you break this out. Illustrates a thought I have had since learning of the Taylor transfer. Gaines would be at high risk of being the odd man out in this depth chart. If I were Collins, and I didn’t add another ball handler for the 2018 season, I would challenge Gaines to be prepared to play minutes at the LG position.

GOUNUII

I'm not sure what to make of "more offensively talented Sanjay Lumpkin" haha. Everyone here always said we were playing 4 on 5 on offense when Sanjay was on the floor!

But if this guy brings Sanjay's defensive intensity and leadership, plus can score more, that would be a pretty incredible combination!
I always thought Sanjay's offensive contributions were under appreciated. He was not our most potent weapon, but he shot when (and only when) he had a good shot. He knew what his capabilities were, and worked within them. He didn't fill up the score sheet, but neither did he waste possessions.

You would not want 5 Sanjays on the floor for an offensive possession, but it was great to have one.

I like the way you break this out. Illustrates a thought I have had since learning of the Taylor transfer. Gaines would be at high risk of being the odd man out in this depth chart. If I were Collins, and I didn’t add another ball handler for the 2018 season, I would challenge Gaines to be prepared to play minutes at the LG position.

GOUNUII

Interesting thought. I think Collins had a vision of Law becoming a secondary ballhandler, and we saw that a little bit last year. I’m sure Gaines could be just as effective as, say, Law and Lindsey were last year when BMac went down.

It would still be an odd fit. I’d much prefer to add a pure PG-type grad transfer.

Interesting thought. I think Collins had a vision of Law becoming a secondary ballhandler, and we saw that a little bit last year. I’m sure Gaines could be just as effective as, say, Law and Lindsey were last year when BMac went down.

It would still be an odd fit. I’d much prefer to add a pure PG-type grad transfer.

I don’t think Collins wants Lathon and Gaines in the back court together for any but the briefest of times. Not enough perimeter scoring punch for that to work consistently. But with any 3 of Falzon, Law, Turner, Taylor or Kopp out there at 2-4, Gaines and his slashing style could work as long as he posted an acceptable assists to turnovers ratio.

Just a thought.

GOUNUII

I don’t think Collins wants Lathon and Gaines in the back court together for any but the briefest of times. Not enough perimeter scoring punch for that to work consistently. But with any 3 of Falzon, Law, Turner, Taylor or Kopp out there at 2-4, Gaines and his slashing style could work as long as he posted an acceptable assists to turnovers ratio.

Just a thought.

GOUNUII
I'm guessing that AG works hard on his 3pt shot this offseason. The coaches must be guiding him in that direction as NUs Wing play really requires a good 3pt threat to open lanes for the LG to operate in. He has the D, solid slashing skills, needs to work first on his shot, second on ballhandling, IMO.

Is it my imagination or is this team starting to look pretty good? A LOT of turnover from last year, and we should be reluctant to just play the addition/subtraction game (which is how we got in trouble last year), but as far as I can tell we have this:

OUT: B-Mac, Lindsey, Brown, Rap
IN: Turner, Taylor, Lathon, Kopp, Nance, Young, some other grad transfer.

Obviously losing B-Mac/Lindsey is huge, but this isn't a bad list to start with, especially if Law is healthy and Gaines continues to grow.

Mac is still going to be a huge, huge loss. We were flat out terrible last year when BMac either didn't play or was playing hurt.

Well, I'm excited (about Taylor).

I always thought Sanjay's offensive contributions were under appreciated. He was not our most potent weapon, but he shot when (and only when) he had a good shot. He knew what his capabilities were, and worked within them. He didn't fill up the score sheet, but neither did he waste possessions.

You would not want 5 Sanjays on the floor for an offensive possession, but it was great to have one.

Ye speak wisely Smithee.

Both Sanjay and Tap brought efficiency on the offensive end during the Tournament season; something that the 'Cats haven't had enough of (aside from Pardon).

Speaking of Gaines, while he needs to work on his outside shot (as well as his handle), even w/ the W1 and W2 positions getting crowded, think Gaines will be able to carve out some minutes for himself when CC wants to clamp down on D (depends on how adept Turner and Taylor are on the defensive end).

Well, I'm excited (about Taylor).

Ye speak wisely Smithee.

Both Sanjay and Tap brought efficiency on the offensive end during the Tournament season; something that the 'Cats haven't had enough of (aside from Pardon).

Speaking of Gaines, while he needs to work on his outside shot (as well as his handle), even w/ the W1 and W2 positions getting crowded, think Gaines will be able to carve out some minutes for himself when CC wants to clamp down on D (depends on how adept Turner and Taylor are on the defensive end).
Ash will be playing 25 minutes a game. No way does this transfer beat out Ash! Ain’t happening.

Off season depth charting is my favorite! Sadly, it rarely plays out as expected. Still, here I go...

LG - Lathon, Ash
W1 & W2 - Law, Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Kopp
S4 - Nance, Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson, Young

Have options next season in case of need at S4 by going big or small ball. Biggest need would seem to be a Grad Transfer LG familiar with the system. Doesn't Stanford run a similar system? Just saying...

It's such a strange situation to try to make predictions for next season when 6 (and possibly 7) scholarship players have never played a game as a Northwestern Wildcat. While I would definitely feel much more comfortable with another LG in the fold, it appears that CC will have a lot of options. There are probably a dozen different lineups that I could argue might work well.

For example, the returning guys (minus Falzon) alone would make a good defensive lineup.

Ash
Gaines
Law
Pardon
Benson

Unfortunately, this lineup is not going to outscore anyone. I'm so glad that there are 6-7 new players! Still, it is difficult to even speculate what they all/each might bring!

It's such a strange situation to try to make predictions for next season when 6 (and possibly 7) scholarship players have never played a game as a Northwestern Wildcat.

The fact that two...and possibly three of those 6/7 have played high level college basketball for four years matters.

Am I the only one who thinks that adding a 6 7" wing who can score is a hedge on Law's full recovery? Can Law be redshirted if he's not ready to go in September?

Reactions: IGNORE2
The fact that two...and possibly three of those 6/7 have played high level college basketball for four years matters.

Of course, it matters. It's huge. My comment was in reaction to scru's off-season depth chart planning and the situation as a fan not knowing what to expect.

Actually, neither of the 2 transfers have played 4 years of high level college hoops. AJ played 2 at BC and Taylor 3. But your point is a good one, these guys have played high level hoops are aren't exactly unknowns.

It's such a strange situation to try to make predictions for next season when 6 (and possibly 7) scholarship players have never played a game as a Northwestern Wildcat. While I would definitely feel much more comfortable with another LG in the fold, it appears that CC will have a lot of options. There are probably a dozen different lineups that I could argue might work well.

For example, the returning guys (minus Falzon) alone would make a good defensive lineup.

Ash
Gaines
Law
Pardon
Benson

Unfortunately, this lineup is not going to outscore anyone. I'm so glad that there are 6-7 new players! Still, it is difficult to even speculate what they all/each might bring!
That lineup helped us beat Minnesota,Michigan,Illinois, Maryland,and a few other good teams. Mac had 75 turnovers last year. Ash had 13! Just sayin,!

... Am I the only one who thinks that adding a 6 7" wing who can score is a hedge on Law's full recovery? Can Law be redshirted if he's not ready to go in September?

That was my thought also. As I've said in the past, as the roster stood (pre-Taylor), the last thing this team needs is another 'tweener.

If this is where the transfers end for the summer, it also says a lot about how faith they have in Lathon. But we've also seen their over-confidence in the lead guard before.

Reactions: IGNORE2

I totally agree - I was sort of subtly implying that, I think people hated on his offense too much.

Reactions: Alan Smithee
That was my thought also. As I've said in the past, as the roster stood (pre-Taylor), the last thing this team needs is another 'tweener.

If this is where the transfers end for the summer, it also says a lot about how faith they have in Lathon. But we've also seen their over-confidence in the lead guard before.
I think Lathon will be a good one from the get go but still would like to see a back-up LG come aboard. Also would especially like to see 13 schlorship players on the team to start the season.

I think Lathon will be a good one from the get go but still would like to see a back-up LG come aboard. Also would especially like to see 13 schlorship players on the team to start the season.

I don't doubt that Collins is looking for a backup LG, especially after last season.

Just a thought.

GOUNUII
Why not? Especially if Gaines develops more of an outside shot. Doberman's out front similar to Hachaad and Parker

Am I the only one who thinks that adding a 6 7" wing who can score is a hedge on Law's full recovery? Can Law be redshirted if he's not ready to go in September?
He would need to be granted a medical RS as he already had a RS after shoulder surgery

I notice that in all the responses - nobody has addressed the issue of the freshman wall. Even if Lathon walks in ready to start, we have seen time and again, there is a wall, especially when you have to play a frosh 30+ mpg. No viable backup, no other options at LG - is everyone here treating this limitation as obtusely as the coaching staff seemingly is?

I notice that in all the responses - nobody has addressed the issue of the freshman wall. Even if Lathon walks in ready to start, we have seen time and again, there is a wall, especially when you have to play a frosh 30+ mpg. No viable backup, no other options at LG - is everyone here treating this limitation as obtusely as the coaching staff seemingly is?
You don't actually think that the coaching his not on top of getting in another grad transfer, do you?

Reactions: IGNORE
Actually, neither of the 2 transfers have played 4 years of high level college hoops. AJ played 2 at BC and Taylor 3. But your point is a good one, these guys have played high level hoops are aren't exactly unknowns.
Each has been with teams for 3 to 4 years.

I mean, it's definitely a risk. Given that the backup PG spot has been discussed here ad nauseum, more than any other position on the depth chart, I don't think people are treating it obtusely.

Everyone is concerned about it. We hope that Lathon is good enough to deserve to play 30 mpg, and we hope that we have someone beyond just Ash who can step in for some minutes at that spot, but I don't think people are dismissing this risk, in fact just the opposite. I somehow suspect that there is an outside chance CC is not blind to this risk as well... we just got one G transfer signing out of the blue that no one had predicted, maybe just maybe he's got other inquiries out there that he's working on that we aren't privy to...

Last edited:
I mean, it's definitely a risk. Given that the backup PG spot has been discussed here ad nauseum, more than any other position on the depth chart, I don't think people are treating it obtusely.

Everyone is concerned about it. We hope that Lathon is good enough to deserve to play 30 mpg, and we hope that we have someone beyond just Ash who can step in for some minutes at that spot, but I don't think people are dismissing this risk, in fact just the opposite. I somehow suspect that there is an outside CC is not blind to this risk as well... we just got one G transfer signing out of the blue that no one had predicted, maybe just maybe he's got other inquiries out there that he's working on that we aren't privy to...
Don't you mean probably?

You don't actually think that the coaching his not on top of getting in another grad transfer, do you?

I'm glad this board is on top of the LG situation. Collins is probably just golfing and getting drunk this whole time. No wonder Gates left.

No viable backup, no other options at LG - is everyone here treating this limitation as obtusely as the coaching staff seemingly is?
Maybe "seemingly" to you, but I have no clue what the coaching staff is doing to find a LG via transfer......

I think this has been poorly planned out. I would hope they realized before the start of last season that Brown might not be a PG. Before that point, I hope they realized that Vassar was not their PG. Before then, perhaps a revelation that Ash was the best answer either.

Between grad transfers and recruiting, I would have expected the staff to have recruited a backup for BMac LAST SEASON! Maybe a grad transfer last year with the reportedly open Vassar schollie. Or perhaps another PG in place of Young in the incoming class. I dunno, I don't make millions doing this.

But I do know a few things:
1. We have no option at backup LG...again. Ash didn't look capable. Pushing Gaines or Taylor is another square peg in round hole (kinda like Brown);
2. That every time I bring up this idea - I get shouted down by the 'Lathon is the answer' crew - to whom I am really asking. Ok, assume you are correct and NU strikes gold once again with a freshman LG - he will still hit the wall. And hit it early because he will be required to be used so much.

So, with that in mind, curious minds wonder why more aren't crying out for another ball handler? Is it because: a. belief that Lathon will be a super frosh immune to the wall, b. heads stuck in the sand, c. drunk on koolaid - don't know, don't care?

I like the Taylor signing (though I also think it speaks to Law's injury - as I posted earlier - in fact, I can see our roster shrinking once again before the start of the year). But everyone that spoke up agreed, we need a ballhandler and a big. We got a wing - a great shooting wing, it seems. But our needs were not addressed - unless their is a Law problem ahead.

Reactions: IGNORE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT