ADVERTISEMENT

Some Good News: Evansville Grad Transfer Ryan Taylor Commits to NU

Just had a conversation (and admittedly looked at few seconds of video) about this and the answer from my buddy was - probably no. He's a 2. But I think you might get by with him for stretches on the floor with Gaines and not force Lathon to start from day one or take at least take significant pressure off of Lathon.

Initial guess: Taylor's shooting gives Collins license to start Gaines for his defense and athleticism. Law plays as a stretch 4, creating a lineup of Lathon-Gaines-Taylor-Law-Pardon. And, as you suggested, Taylor takes over the lead guard spot when Lathon sits, opening a spot at forward for Falzon or some of the freshmen.

Seems like AJ Turner is a bit of a "forgotten man" around these parts. While not on Taylor's level as a pure scorer, he's similar in that he was amongst the better players on a mediocre/bad team and has the size/length needed to compete in the B1G. Doesn't seem like Turner will be counted on to fill it up, but could play a defensive "glue guy" role that could be especially important if Taylor is more gunner than wing defender.

Not forgotten. But I did not count him as s volume scorer. There are some real variables for next season with the addition of Taylor. Also, Law is reportedly coming off of surgery, which is huge as well. But if everyone is healthy then its reasonable to expect the following lineup day one:

1 Lathon
2 Gaines
3 Taylor
4 Law
5 Pardon

If you put Benson at the 4 and Law at the 3, Gaines becomes the first guy off the bench with Taylor. Either way, you have the potential for guys playing 25 -30 and not 37 -40 minutes a game on most nights and that's huge. And look, I did not even get to Falzon, Kopp or Nance ;-) What I am really saying is Collins just got himself a big insurance policy by landing a solid player who you can expect to score 15ppg at the low end. Now, lets say Nance or Kopp come in and are huge day one impact guys - then Collins is really in a great spot.

Not forgotten. But I did not count him as s volume scorer. There are some real variables for next season with the addition of Taylor. Also, Law is reportedly coming off of surgery, which is huge as well. But if everyone is healthy then its reasonable to expect the following lineup day one:

1 Lathon
2 Gaines
3 Taylor
4 Law
5 Pardon

If you put Benson at the 4 and Law at the 3, Gaines becomes the first guy off the bench with Taylor. Either way, you have the potential for guys playing 25 -30 and not 37 -40 minutes a game on most nights and that's huge. And look, I did not even get to Falzon, Kopp or Nance ;-)

I think we would struggle mightily with more physical teams if Law is seeing time at the 4.

Is it my imagination or is this team starting to look pretty good? A LOT of turnover from last year, and we should be reluctant to just play the addition/subtraction game (which is how we got in trouble last year), but as far as I can tell we have this:

OUT: B-Mac, Lindsey, Brown, Rap
IN: Turner, Taylor, Lathon, Kopp, Nance, Young, some other grad transfer.

Obviously losing B-Mac/Lindsey is huge, but this isn't a bad list to start with, especially if Law is healthy and Gaines continues to grow.

Initial guess: Taylor's shooting gives Collins license to start Gaines for his defense and athleticism. Law plays as a stretch 4, creating a lineup of Lathon-Gaines-Taylor-Law-Pardon. And, as you suggested, Taylor takes over the lead guard spot when Lathon sits, opening a spot at forward for Falzon or some of the freshmen.

I think my point is overall, no matter how this shakes out, NU's prospects for next year just got better with a chance to get even better if Collins is able to land another grad transfer who can contribute. Obviously Mooney would be the huge get but we will see. I am just really excited to be talk about this rather than speculating about bench players leaving. I will go on record that I am not thrilled about losing Gates on the bench bc everything I read about him was he was a good recruiter and coach but at the same time I wish him well going forward.

I think my point is overall, no matter how this shakes out, NU's prospects for next year just got better with a chance to get even better if Collins is able to land another grad transfer who can contribute. Obviously Mooney would be the huge get but we will see. I am just really excited to be talk about this rather than speculating about bench players leaving. I will go on record that I am not thrilled about losing Gates on the bench bc everything I read about him was he was a good recruiter and coach but at the same time I wish him well going forward.

I’d be more than a little leery about adding another 5th year transfer. Not sure what the upside is (vis a vis the cost).

Currently after next year we lose 4 guys, all of whom could theoreticallly play big minutes, or at least occasional, meaningful mintes for Ash.

So in other words, does CC think this is a tourney or NIT team either as currently constituted, or with the addition of another decent grad transfer. If so, then fine, make a push for next year but just a week ago a professional writer picked us 13th in our own league and we had a thread about rebuilding year. So the question is- is this core worth mortgaging the future on. What’s their upside?

So if any of that is remotely true (13th place team) and we’ve added another transfer, then we’re just an injury or transfer away (after next year) to losing 5 or even 6 regular contributors in one fell swoop. That’s a LOT of pressure on next year’s freshmen when they become sophomores.

Alternatively I guess we could just keep adding 5th year grad guys as a stopgap, but that doesn’t sound like a way to inch up over time in the BiG.

So currently with this roster we have guys who I see being able to play at each position 1- Lanthon and Ash. 2-Gaines, Turner, Ash, Kopp, and now Taylor. 3, Law, Gaines, Turner, Taylor, Kopp and maybe Falzon if we run twin towers or nance is an instant impact player. 4- Nance, Falzon, maybe Benson. 5 Pardon, Benson, and young.

Based on this I see the next scholarship at 1 or 4 seeing were that's where we have the least depth and that our wings are loaded with talent.

I’d be more than a little leery about adding another 5th year transfer. Not sure what the upside is (vis a vis the cost).

Currently after next year we lose 4 guys, all of whom could theoreticallly play big minutes, or at least occasional, meaningful mintes for Ash.

So in other words, does CC think this is a tourney or NIT team either as currently constituted, or with the addition of another decent grad transfer. If so, then fine, make a push for next year but just a week ago a professional writer picked us 13th in our own league and we had a thread about rebuilding year. So the question is- is this core worth mortgaging the future on. What’s their upside?

So if any of that is remotely true (13th place team) and we’ve added another transfer, then we’re just an injury or transfer away (after next year) to losing 5 or even 6 regular contributors in one fell swoop. That’s a LOT of pressure on next year’s freshmen when they become sophomores.

Alternatively I guess we could just keep adding 5th year grad guys as a stopgap, but that doesn’t sound like a way to inch up over time in the BiG.

Here's my take: First, you make your team as strong as possible for each season no matter how that is done. Second, you don't rely on freshman to be significant contributors.

Prior to Taylor committing this morning, NU was going to be forced to rely on unproven scorers and freshman. That changed to a degree. You add another proven scorer and that issue is off the table on paper.

Obviously, I don't know what Collins is going to do. All I know is that NU got a lot better on paper today then it was when I woke up this morning.

All good thoughts.

With four frosh coming in and two transfers (Turner and Taylor) with experience ready to play I could see NU adding a transfer who has to sit a year.

The big issue is p.g. and whether or not Collins is confident he has enough talent on the roster to handle the ball for 40 minutes.

My bad for not welcoming the newest Cat. Clearly the NU basketball community is excited to have this first team MVC all conference player don the purple.

Do I remember correctly that NU looked hard at Taylor when he was a sophomore/junior?

What I remember most about watching this guy play,,,is that he is a scorer,,,which I define as knowing when he has good opportunities...he knew his strengths and when the game gave him chances to score.....a good example are his stats....This year Evansville needed him to score and worked their offense to create opportunities for him,,,but I never felt like he forced anything...even though he was their #1 option he let the game come to him.....Remember thinking ,,,why cant we stop this guy........I see him as a more offensively talented Sanjay Lumpkin, always hanging around taking advantage of opportunities

I think Mooney is unlikely now right? I think Taylor will take over lindsey's minutes

I hope this does not change Mooney. Taylor is an 2-guard and his assist to turnover stats don't suggest that a back up ball handler has been found. I like the addition, but also feel he is muck alike Gaines, Turner and maybe Kopp. I would really like to see a guy that can break a press and throw out dimes to round out the grad transfer quota.

Crazy thought, but if this kid works out, then with Gaines, Law, Turner, Kopp all covering that wing guard type position, you could try to red shirt someone...

LG - Lathon, Ash
SG - Gaines or Taylor or Turner
SF - Law or Turner or Taylor
S4 - Nance or Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson

Still would like to see someone other than Ash backing up as LG.

What I remember most about watching this guy play,,,is that he is a scorer,,,which I define as knowing when he has good opportunities...he knew his strengths and when the game gave him chances to score.....a good example are his stats....This year Evansville needed him to score and worked their offense to create opportunities for him,,,but I never felt like he forced anything...even though he was their #1 option he let the game come to him.....Remember thinking ,,,why cant we stop this guy........I see him as a more offensively talented Sanjay Lumpkin, always hanging around taking advantage of opportunities
I'm not sure what to make of "more offensively talented Sanjay Lumpkin" haha. Everyone here always said we were playing 4 on 5 on offense when Sanjay was on the floor!

But if this guy brings Sanjay's defensive intensity and leadership, plus can score more, that would be a pretty incredible combination!

All good thoughts.

With four frosh coming in and two transfers (Turner and Taylor) with experience ready to play I could see NU adding a transfer who has to sit a year.

The big issue is p.g. and whether or not Collins is confident he has enough talent on the roster to handle the ball for 40 minutes.

You just answered your own question.

It would be a BIG mistake, in my opinion, to not go for another grad transfer PG as option #1.

NU still has a little bit of momentum from the NCAA season and the new facilities. It needs to seize on it now by making the tournament again ASAP. With the roster as is, the team is doomed if Lathon can’t be a Big Ten starter from Day 1.

Why not add Mooney, if possible? Or some of the other (less splashy) names on the market like Austin Jr. from Vandy, Cartwright from Stanford or Chartouny from Fordham?

Let’s roll with a full roster of 13 for once and not be running on fumes in the late stages of games.

I hope this does not change Mooney. Taylor is an 2-guard and his assist to turnover stats don't suggest that a back up ball handler has been found. I like the addition, but also feel he is muck alike Gaines, Turner and maybe Kopp. I would really like to see a guy that can break a press and throw out dimes to round out the grad transfer quota.

Crazy thought, but if this kid works out, then with Gaines, Law, Turner, Kopp all covering that wing guard type position, you could try to red shirt someone...

LG - Lathon, Ash
SG - Gaines or Taylor or Turner
SF - Law or Turner or Taylor
S4 - Nance or Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson

Still would like to see someone other than Ash backing up as LG.

Kopp probably starts and plays a ton.

You just answered your own question.

It would be a BIG mistake, in my opinion, to not go for another grad transfer PG as option #1.

NU still has a little bit of momentum from the NCAA season and the new facilities. It needs to seize on it now by making the tournament again ASAP. With the roster as is, the team is doomed if Lathon can’t be a Big Ten starter from Day 1.

Why not add Mooney, if possible? Or some of the other (less splashy) names on the market like Austin Jr. from Vandy, Cartwright from Stanford or Chartouny from Fordham?

Let’s roll with a full roster of 13 for once and not be running on fumes in the late stages of games.
Why? We are short of guards (PG?) for this year and at this point Frosh pickings are slim so getting one at this point would unbalance class with 5 in one and would likely hard to get a top guy with Lathon already in the fold making it a reach. Other than Grad Transfer they have to sit out a year and are no use for this year. With GT, next years recruiting not affected and go after another at that point, hopefully after another Dance

Why? We are short of guards (PG?) for this year and at this point Frosh pickings are slim so getting one at this point would unbalance class with 5 in one and would likely hard to get a top guy with Lathon already in the fold making it a reach. Other than Grad Transfer they have to sit out a year and are no use for this year. With GT, next years recruiting not affected and go after another at that point, hopefully after another Dance

I said NU should get a grad transfer point guard.

1 Lathon
2 Gaines
3 Taylor
4 Law
5 Pardon

If you put Benson at the 4 and Law at the 3, Gaines becomes the first guy off the bench with Taylor. Either way, you have the potential for guys playing 25 -30 and not 37 -40 minutes a game on most nights and that's huge. And look, I did not even get to Falzon, Kopp or Nance ;-) What I am really saying is Collins just got himself a big insurance policy by landing a solid player who you can expect to score 15ppg at the low end. Now, lets say Nance or Kopp come in and are huge day one impact guys - then Collins is really in a great spot.
U need Ash in there to break press

good question....looks like just one year left.

He played a year at Ohio, sat out a year, and then two years at Evansville.

Is it my imagination or is this team starting to look pretty good? A LOT of turnover from last year, and we should be reluctant to just play the addition/subtraction game (which is how we got in trouble last year), but as far as I can tell we have this:

OUT: B-Mac, Lindsey, Brown, Rap
IN: Turner, Taylor, Lathon, Kopp, Nance, Young, some other grad transfer.

Obviously losing B-Mac/Lindsey is huge, but this isn't a bad list to start with, especially if Law is healthy and Gaines continues to grow.

OUT: Skelly

Off season depth charting is my favorite! Sadly, it rarely plays out as expected. Still, here I go...

LG - Lathon, Ash
W1 & W2 - Law, Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Kopp
S4 - Nance, Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson, Young

Have options next season in case of need at S4 by going big or small ball. Biggest need would seem to be a Grad Transfer LG familiar with the system. Doesn't Stanford run a similar system? Just saying...

Last edited:
Off season depth charting is my favorite! Sadly, it rarely plays out as expected. Still, here I go...

LG - Lathon, Ash
W1 & W2 - Law, Taylor, Turner, Gaines, Kopp
S4 - Nance, Falzon
C - Pardon, Benson, Anderson

Have options next season in case of need at S4 by going big or small ball. Biggest need would seem to be a Grad Transfer LG familiar with the system. Doesn't Stanford run a similar system? Just saying...

Who is Anderson?

With the addition of Taylor, NU just got a level more attractive to Mooney. Let it happen!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT