ADVERTISEMENT

Some Good News: Evansville Grad Transfer Ryan Taylor Commits to NU

I'm glad this board is on top of the LG situation. Collins is probably just golfing and getting drunk this whole time. No wonder Gates left.

Where were all these naysayers a year ago today? They hide and then leap at the first opportunity.

Where were all these naysayers a year ago today? They hide and then leap at the first opportunity.
I'm not sure why you are surprised that more people express concerns after a disappointing season than had concerns after a historically good season? The recent evidence is obviously less positive on CC than what we had a year ago today, there is nothing criminal or morally bad about people expressing concerns on a message board.

I'm not sure why you are surprised that more people express concerns after a disappointing season than had concerns after a historically good season? The recent evidence is obviously less positive on CC than what we had a year ago today, there is nothing criminal or morally bad about people expressing concerns on a message board.

I'm no surprised at all. What I DO find interesting is most of these naysayers were absent from this board at this point last year...meaning, of course, they WANT to have something to complain about and don't show their face unless they can (Mystic, etc.) for whatever reason that might be. (ahem...I have one guess lol)

I'm no surprised at all. What I DO find interesting is most of these naysayers were absent from this board at this point last year...meaning, of course, they WANT to have something to complain about and don't show their face unless they can (Mystic, etc.) for whatever reason that might be. (ahem...I have one guess lol)

In case you’ve been under a rock, any naysayers a year ago about the upcoming season turned out to be .... dead on right!

What are you missing?

Any naysayers who predicted yet another 10th place BIG finish, and another year of no sniff of any postseason would have been a correct naysayer.

“Yet” another 10th place finish? Did we make the NCAA tourney the previous year?

I think this has been poorly planned out. I would hope they realized before the start of last season that Brown might not be a PG. Before that point, I hope they realized that Vassar was not their PG. Before then, perhaps a revelation that Ash was the best answer either.

Between grad transfers and recruiting, I would have expected the staff to have recruited a backup for BMac LAST SEASON! Maybe a grad transfer last year with the reportedly open Vassar schollie. Or perhaps another PG in place of Young in the incoming class. I dunno, I don't make millions doing this.

But I do know a few things:
1. We have no option at backup LG...again. Ash didn't look capable. Pushing Gaines or Taylor is another square peg in round hole (kinda like Brown);
2. That every time I bring up this idea - I get shouted down by the 'Lathon is the answer' crew - to whom I am really asking. Ok, assume you are correct and NU strikes gold once again with a freshman LG - he will still hit the wall. And hit it early because he will be required to be used so much.

So, with that in mind, curious minds wonder why more aren't crying out for another ball handler? Is it because: a. belief that Lathon will be a super frosh immune to the wall, b. heads stuck in the sand, c. drunk on koolaid - don't know, don't care?

I like the Taylor signing (though I also think it speaks to Law's injury - as I posted earlier - in fact, I can see our roster shrinking once again before the start of the year). But everyone that spoke up agreed, we need a ballhandler and a big. We got a wing - a great shooting wing, it seems. But our needs were not addressed - unless their is a Law problem ahead.

It wasn't for lack of effort. The staff recruited the heck out of guys like Eastern, Smith, Davison, Goodwin, and others in 2017 for the "lead guard" spot and struck out. That's clearly far from ideal, but not as if they were all along just thinking "it's cool, we'll get our guy in 2018 and be fine."

But, at the same time, it seems like Collins is legitimately sold that Lathon can be the main Lead Guard.

haha yeah well that still doesn't surprise me or even necessarily strike me as a bad thing (people naturally speak up more loudly when there is recent evidence to support their pre-existing view or bias) but i guess that's another reason i have some people on ignore!

but by all means, argue away....

1. We have no option at backup LG...again. Ash didn't look capable. Pushing Gaines or Taylor is another square peg in round hole (kinda like Brown);
2. That every time I bring up this idea - I get shouted down by the 'Lathon is the answer' crew - to whom I am really asking. Ok, assume you are correct and NU strikes gold once again with a freshman LG - he will still hit the wall. And hit it early because he will be required to be used so much.

This is my biggest concern for this upcoming season. McIntosh was ready and able to contribute from day 1 at a Big Ten level, and he wore down to practically nothing by the end of his freshman year. Even if Lathon turns out to eventually have a better career than McIntosh, it's unrealistic to expect him to play well over 30 minutes a night and still be contributing at a high level as Big Ten season progresses. Taylor is a big get, but without any depth at the lead guard position, I struggle to see how this team will be better than NIT-level.

Reactions: IGNORE and IGNORE2
It wasn't for lack of effort. The staff recruited the heck out of guys like Eastern, Smith, Davison, Goodwin, and others in 2017 for the "lead guard" spot and struck out. That's clearly far from ideal, but not as if they were all along just thinking "it's cool, we'll get our guy in 2018 and be fine."

But, at the same time, it seems like Collins is legitimately sold that Lathon can be the main Lead Guard.

Excellent point.

Davison and Collins would have gotten along probably even better than he and BMac, since they can both be a bit abrasive at times. I don't like the guy much on Wisconsin but he'd be my favorite on NU.

In addition to the names you mentioned, among the others NU missed out on was Kellan Grady, who averaged 18 points in 35 minutes per game for Davidson as a freshman.

I wonder how much of it had to do with BMac being the clear starter, however.

This is my biggest concern for this upcoming season. McIntosh was ready and able to contribute from day 1 at a Big Ten level, and he wore down to practically nothing by the end of his freshman year. Even if Lathon turns out to eventually have a better career than McIntosh, it's unrealistic to expect him to play well over 30 minutes a night and still be contributing at a high level as Big Ten season progresses. Taylor is a big get, but without any depth at the lead guard position, I struggle to see how this team will be better than NIT-level.
Got to get Mooney

This must be terrible news for all the pessimists and naysayers on this board. Collins probably paid him under the table, right. He couldn’t possibly have gotten this guy without something we of course will never find out about. Would all you negative people stand so we all know who you are.

I’m very happy with this news.

Heywood asks and heywood receives. Your welcome.

Just had a conversation (and admittedly looked at few seconds of video) about this and the answer from my buddy was - probably no. He's a 2. But I think you might get by with him for stretches on the floor with Gaines and not force Lathon to start from day one or take at least take significant pressure off of Lathon.

Mooney has looked pretty solid as the LG

I like the Taylor signing (though I also think it speaks to Law's injury - as I posted earlier - in fact, I can see our roster shrinking once again before the start of the year). We got a wing - a great shooting wing, it seems. But our needs were not addressed - unless their is a Law problem ahead.

So you were on board with Taylor.

DId the "Law problem" materialize as you predicted?

So you were on board with Taylor.

DId the "Law problem" materialize as you predicted?

Yup. I went back and read the whole thread. Pretty entertaining. And I did like the signing. Like Styre, I thought Law might not be ready. So yet another wing made sense. But I harped on the need for another PG or LG for two consecutive years including this thread. Told you so.

But go through all the predictions too. I usually said Gaines or Turner or Taylor for one spot. Lathon, Law, Falzon until Nance, Pardon.

Never said Taylor was a sure fire starter like he became under CCC. I was wrong about Nance pushing his way into the starting lineup. But, then, I’m not paid millions to identify, recruit, develop and coach.

Bob is on a heavy dose of hindsight is 20/20 lately.

Just out of curiousity, ever have a management position? Ever do any type of personnel reviews?

Before you run off your long illustrious resume, can you tell me where to find a crystal ball to foresee an employees future value?

I’m afraid I am forced to work in the world that judges people based on results, you know, things that happened in the past. Hindsight.

Seemingly, much of the world finds some predictive value in it. Just saying.

Just out of curiousity, ever have a management position? Ever do any type of personnel reviews?

Before you run off your long illustrious resume, can you tell me where to find a crystal ball to foresee an employees future value?

I’m afraid I am forced to work in the world that judges people based on results, you know, things that happened in the past. Hindsight.

I will save the board my resume. The point is you, me and plenty of others were excited about the potential of some of the recent additions including Taylor. The difference is most of us don’t come back and continue to harp on the ones that didn’t work out after the fact, when we were all onboard at the time of the announcement. It’s easy to be right and critical after you know the results.

I will save the board my resume. The point is you, me and plenty of others were excited about the potential of some of the recent additions including Taylor. The difference is most of us don’t come back and continue to harp on the ones that didn’t work out after the fact, when we were all onboard at the time of the announcement. It’s easy to be right and critical after you know the results.

Agreed. And you, me and the rest of the Board don’t receive millions to be right. CCC does. He brought us to the dance a few years ago, but since filling the roster with his guys under his coaches - squat. Time for him to either earn his money, or turn over the reins and join us morons here. If he can’t do better than you or me, that money is not well spent.

... I’m afraid I am forced to work in the world that judges people based on results, you know, things that happened in the past. Hindsight.

Better watch the circles you're running in, Bob. The whole "predictive value" thing doesnt really fit the Collins-can't-get-NU-there narrative.

Collins coached one team to the tournament soooooo ...

In the meantime, good luck with the comparison between your coaching ability and Collins.

... If he can’t do better than you or me, that money is not well spent.

To be generous, Collins is one of the top three coaches in the entire history of the NU program. But so far, he hasn't proven he's a better coach than you?

OK.

You'll have to show me the predictive value of you as a D1 coach.

Last edited:
Better watch the circles you're running in, Bob. The whole "predictive value" thing doesnt really fit the Collins-can't-get-NU-there narrative.

+1

Predictive value of the past: Collins got us to the Dance, he can get us there again.

In the meantime, good luck with the comparison between your coaching ability and Collins.

To be generous, Collins is one of the top three coaches in the entire history of the NU program. But so far, he hasn't proven he's a better coach than you?

OK.

You'll have to show me the predictive value of you as a D1 coach.

Somehow I missed this.

CCC got a team filled with his players as well as seemingly important guys and coaches from the previous coach into the Dance. I say seemingly because after those players were gone, the team stunk.

So, since CCC has had a staff of his own hiring and a roster of his own recruiting, his teams have been bad and look like they will be bad again. Are these thoughts factual enough for you?

Now, in other places you speak about my outlandish reaches in my thoughts and opinions. So, please justify how CCC is one of the top 3? Who are the other two? I've got my Wiki page open and am ready to read this very responsive reply...or more likely, you dodge anything of substance and simply return to attacking me. Ok, go.

Somehow I missed this.

CCC got a team filled with his players as well as seemingly important guys and coaches from the previous coach into the Dance. I say seemingly because after those players were gone, the team stunk.

So, since CCC has had a staff of his own hiring and a roster of his own recruiting, his teams have been bad and look like they will be bad again. Are these thoughts factual enough for you?

Now, in other places you speak about my outlandish reaches in my thoughts and opinions. So, please justify how CCC is one of the top 3? Who are the other two? I've got my Wiki page open and am ready to read this very responsive reply...or more likely, you dodge anything of substance and simply return to attacking me. Ok, go.

Fact warriors!!

Who exactly were those coaches from the Carmody regime?

You REALLY want to discuss whether Collins is in the top three? You're kidding, right? Top three is being generous.

Fact warriors!!

Who exactly were those coaches from the Carmody regime?

You REALLY want to discuss whether Collins is in the top three? You're kidding, right? Top three is being generous.

So, you smartly dodge that top three request. Good for you. You are learning.

Now, listen closely, I errored. Yup, sure did. I thought Hardy carried over and mixed him up in my head with Baldwin. Boy, have fun with that tidbit while you ignore the players on the team from BC (or would you like a list)?

I’ll sit back while you continue to dodge and weave and spin.

#fakenews

I've been down the Lumpkin and Taphorn road. But sure, let's go there again.

You know what you have if you have five Taphorns and Lumpkins on a team? You have a very shitty team.

They were pieces.

And let me guess, you want to tell me Collins hasn't replaced Lumpkin because he hasn't recruited size. I've already been down that road also ... in MAY - much before it was fairly obvious.

Gaines was obviously recruited at the glue guy replacement to Lumpkin. So that took all of a few months.

You wants facts? Let's look at them - a comparison of Lumpkin's senior season to Gaines sophomore season.

Lumpkin (senior season)
5.1 p/game
28% from 3 (25 attempts)
62% FT (29 attempts)
67% from 2 (39 attempts)
9.3 TRB%
500 mins
9 steals
84 rebounds
4 blocks
11 turnovers
.105 win shares/40m
103.1 defensive rating

Gaines (this year)
11 p/game
25% from 3 (36 attempts)
80% FT (65 attempts)
36% from 2 (88 attempts)
10.2 TRB%
527 mins
17 steals
94 rebounds
8 blocks
17 turnovers
.089 win shares/40m
102.1 defensive rating

Let's forget for a moment that Lumpkin was a stump on offense. Stick to the defensive numbers.

You want to say Lumpkin is better? Fine. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think their games are awfully comparable. And Gaines is only a sophomore!! Want to compare Lumpkin's sophomore numbers to Gaines? One hint: Lumpkin's defensive rating was 112.7 in conference.

I've been down the Lumpkin and Taphorn road. But sure, let's go there again.

You know what you have if you have five Taphorns and Lumpkins on a team? You have a very shitty team.

They were pieces.

And let me guess, you want to tell me Collins hasn't replaced Lumpkin because he hasn't recruited size. I've already been down that road also ... in MAY - much before it was fairly obvious.

Gaines was obviously recruited at the glue guy replacement to Lumpkin. So that took all of a few months.

You wants facts? Let's look at them - a comparison of Lumpkin's senior season to Gaines sophomore season.

Lumpkin (senior season)
5.1 p/game
28% from 3 (25 attempts)
62% FT (29 attempts)
67% from 2 (39 attempts)
9.3 TRB%
500 mins
9 steals
84 rebounds
4 blocks
11 turnovers
.105 win shares/40m
103.1 defensive rating

Gaines (this year)
11 p/game
25% from 3 (36 attempts)
80% FT (65 attempts)
36% from 2 (88 attempts)
10.2 TRB%
527 mins
17 steals
94 rebounds
8 blocks
17 turnovers
.089 win shares/40m
102.1 defensive rating

Let's forget for a moment that Lumpkin was a stump on offense. Stick to the defensive numbers.

You want to say Lumpkin is better? Fine. But you're kidding yourself if you don't think their games are awfully comparable. And Gaines is only a sophomore!! Want to compare Lumpkin's sophomore numbers to Gaines? One hint: Lumpkin's defensive rating was 112.7 in conference.

Keep dodging that top three coach list.

You like facts, right? One Lumpkin and one Taphorn went dancing with CCC. The last of the BC guys.

One year later, team was all CCC recruits and they sucked. As they did the following year. As they likely will next year (ok, this is opinion not fact.)

Those are your simple, unadulterated facts. Now, you twist, interpret, opine all you want. That’s the point of having a public discussion board.

But so can I. And your crappy Koolaid justifications simply hold no more, no less water than mine. Don’t find mine of any value, then don’t read. Or IGNORE can be your friend. There was a generation of people that tried to silence opposing opinions under the color of religion - I don’t think that really is going help here.

But if you think you will bully me off or away, good luck, little friend. That’s a not so cute attribute of the millennial crowd - you think so highly of your opinions that you believe you can move people like the next JC, or AOC.

Sorry, not sorry. (That’s one of your generations latest and greatest contributions.)

As for Collins ...

Top 3 overall winning percentage
Fastest to 100 wins
The one guy in the modern era with a B10 season above .500
Best single season win percentage

And the obvious.

You're not going to bore me with names like Lonborg and Larry Glass and pretend the eras are comparable, are you?

As for Collins ...

Top 3 overall winning percentage
Fastest to 100 wins
The one guy in the modern era with a B10 season above .500
Best single season win percentage

And the obvious.

You're not going to bore me with names like Lonborg and Larry Glass and pretend the eras are comparable, are you?

Oh, sure, another swell attribute - the total and utter disrespect for those and things that occurred before you were escaping the condom. National championships are worthless if you didn't see them.

Conference titles - what are those? Well, unless there were forty teams in the B1G, they don't count. You probably subscribe to gcg's odd belief that the NC FB games are also meaningless.

How about a winning overall record in the conference? Got a few guys there too. Best single season percentage - no. Not a fact. #morefakenews

But herald and bow to the guy that coached a team that got a full court last minute bucket into the Dance with a couple important pieces from the prior regime and has sucked ever since. All behold, its time to annoint CCC a savior and seek his admission to Sainthood.

What an entitled little joke you have become. Real good job outing me. Great credibility builder - dismiss history. In fact, let's just dismiss the history of mankind. Might as well cutoff our opposable thumbs too.

You scream about facts? Yet, here you are dismissing decades of them? Feel a bit hypocritical, maybe? Let's ignore Wilt, Magic, maybe even MJ? Papa Bear, Lombardi? the Babe, the Mick, the Big Hurt? Washington, Einstein, Reagan?

So, yes, I will bore you with those archives. See, they didn't always play 30 some games a season. Little tougher to win 100 when you didn't play 100 over 10 years.

C'mon little man, bring back your rage at me. This passive aggression has to make your blood simply boil. IGNORE can still be your friend ;)

Classic Bob ... all in the span of a single post.

Unsubstantiated and repetitive conclusion posing as some grand pronouncement of genius, but really just an opinion. Some might call it fake news.

... One Lumpkin and one Taphorn went dancing with CCC.

One year later, team was all CCC recruits and they sucked. As they did the following year.

The childish repetitive reply that should somehow matter.

Or IGNORE can be your friend.

The whiny, Bob-as-victim rant. Kind of surprising since I was answering your question.

Although the laughable comparison to religious persecution is new.

There was a generation of people that tried to silence opposing opinions under the color of religion - I don’t think that really is going help here.

And finally, the unfortunate and repeated generalization of a fact that obviously demonstrates have no clue what you're talking about. But that's nothing new.

That’s a not so cute attribute of the millennial crowd - you think so highly of your opinions that you believe you can move people like the next JC, or AOC.

Sorry, not sorry. (That’s one of your generations latest and greatest contributions.)

But you really got me on the Dutch Lonborg argument. Make sure to add that to your scoreboard.

We're done, Bob. I played your game, and as usual, it was nothing except a forum for your agenda.

Good luck doing whatever it is you do and being the board punchline.

Well, Classic Bob would be logically expected. But let's roll with this #fakenews and see who really is the culprit:

Classic Bob ... all in the span of a single post.

Unsubstantiated and repetitive conclusion posing as some grand pronouncement of genius, but really just an opinion. Some might call it fake news.

Now, talk about #fakenews. Talk about denial. There was one player named Lumpkin and another named Taphorn that did play on the team that went to the the Dance under CCC.

The following years, both of them no longer were on the roster (graduated). That year, Nu went 15-17 and 6-12 in conference for a whopping 10th place finish. This may be opinion, though I challenge you to find a rational counter opinion, but that stunk.

Then, this past year, NU posted a 13-19 record with 4-16 in conference to finish dead last. If you don't agree that was a stinker, then we really need to stop talking - you aren't smart enough to converse with me.

#therealnews

The childish repetitive reply that should somehow matter.

This is no news whatsever. You seem truly annoyed by my presence and this is my constant reminder to your whiny posts that you have an option. Just sayin...

The whiny, Bob-as-victim rant. Kind of surprising since I was answering your question.

This is no news whatsever. You seem truly annoyed by my presence and this is my constant reminder to your whiny posts that you have an option. Just sayin...

Although the laughable comparison to religious persecution is new.

Some of this stuff is for my own amusement - guilty here. This one made me giggle. Sue me.

And finally, the unfortunate and repeated generalization of a fact that obviously demonstrates have no clue what you're talking about. But that's nothing new.

Odd, people that like to insult grow such soft skin. I agree here. You are probably some 70 year old CEO of a Fortune 500 explaining why you have the time to post and so little knowledge.

But, this is a fantastic example of why your passsive aggressive comment was hilarious. Nothing passive here. It's me working under your skin, because, while you may be a d)&#*^k, as you noted, I can be a much larger c#*%$k. Cheers. You got one right!

But you really got me on the Dutch Lonborg argument. Make sure to add that to your scoreboard.

Thanks - kinda set you up and baited you in for that one. Your welcome.

While I'm not about to rank coaches - BC, Rich Falk, Bill Rohr, Fred Murphy, Dennis Grady - all say hi!

We're done, Bob. I played your game, and as usual, it was nothing except a forum for your agenda.

Good luck doing whatever it is you do and being the board punchline.

Thanks Sec. Been a slice. Sorry your credibility was shattered in the process. Come back and visit real soon. (btw, despite headlining about revealing me for all this fake news...nothing. You brought nothing to counter the simple fact that it was you, all along, trying to control the content for both of us. #fakenewsdown

Yeah we had two Carmody players on the Dance roster. But we had 12 players who were CC's players; suspect that at least some of those 12 contributed to a team that was never truly in danger of not making the Dance, Michigan game or not (we were an #8 seed, not some bubble team).

And those two Carmody players were on the Dance roster only because Collins convinced them to stay through their senior seasons...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT