ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

You win and lose as a team.

No one really has Os that Frosh or RS Frosh can walk into

You are so intent on giving McCall absolutely no credit for anything. You have to remember that coaches are extremely limited in amount of time they are able to be in contact. The finer points require a lot more time than they are allowed to spend with players. They can recommend things but reality is that the finer points which are often the difference take a lot more time than coaches are allowed. For all we know, McCall may have even recommended Baz

Jon Rothstein on Martinelli

He's fine as the starter.

Last year after Berry got hurt, Martinelli, Buie, Barnhizer and Langborg had to play as much as they could.
For Martinelli that meant 36 minutes per game over the last 12 games.
He wore down.

This year, I hope Martinelli starts and plays about 27 minutes a game, because (hopefully) we have better depth.
Agree with this. He wore down last year because his minutes changed significantly. If he goes into the year expecting to play 25-30 minutes a game (and sometimes more) as a starter instead of 15-25 minutes a game (and usually not more) as a bench guy, I would think that would affect his preparation for the year.
Reactions: IGNORE2

Jon Rothstein on Martinelli

Martinelli is at his best off the bench. Good energy and a unique player. Don’t feel good about him starting for an entire season.
He's fine as the starter.

Last year after Berry got hurt, Martinelli, Buie, Barnhizer and Langborg had to play as much as they could.
For Martinelli that meant 36 minutes per game over the last 12 games.
He wore down.

This year, I hope Martinelli starts and plays about 27 minutes a game, because (hopefully) we have better depth.
Reactions: IGNORE2

Brian James on Stephen Bardo’s Podcast

Have we heard any good news on Mullins since he arrived in Evanston?
Mullins can jump out of the gym... when he's healthy... and motivated...
Best hops for NU in recent memory...

So the best Mullins-related news is that the NU trainer says freshman Angelo Ciavarino is the best jumper on the team, best that he's seen at Northwestern.

McGee did run a

The NU record for the best offensive production in a single season is 6003 yards, averaging over 500 yards per game with Dunbar as OC. Of course we also had Colby’s Swiss cheese defense which holds the record for worse defense giving up 5760 yards. That was Basanez’s senior year and Tyrell Sutton’s freshman year. We went 7-5 but there were not enough bowl games for Big Ten teams.

It will always be a question of whether it is personnel or coaching and the real answer is that it is both.
Like I said, I liked Dunbar a lot and was sorry to see him go I think when Fitz was named HC he felt slighted as he had been a HC at a Northern Iowa and here was a young guy with no experience put in front of him and felt he needed to move on. So he went to Cal as OC for a year and then came back to BIG at MINN as OC

How much of that was due to Hank's D?

Disagree that his O paired well, as his Read&React scheme required an experienced QB; which is why the Cats pretty much never had a young frosh/RS come in and be anything other than a glorified RB (with the exception of Siemian in spot duty), and were completely lost when the starter went down to injury.

But not only did his scheme require an experienced QB, it also required the players around the QB to be on the same page - which is why we pretty much never saw a young, inexperienced WR come in and be an impact contributor.

Otoh, we have seen young, inexperienced players come in (whether it is due to injury or graduation) and make an instant impact in Hank's defense.

Persa still has his letter from Walker, which was written not long before coach passed.

Where's the proof that McC had a lot to do in developing Kafka and Persa?

Had previously linked a no of articles where the 2 credited (quite effusively at that) Basanez for their marked improvements as a passer.

Kafka is pretty far removed from his time at NU, and yet this recent article still mentions Baz (nothing about McC).

At Northwestern, he became an NFL prospect after spending hours working with former Wildcats quarterback Brett Basanez — in order to stop throwing line-drive passes. Basanez, then in the NFL, had Kafka stand near the goal post and “bend” throws over it, to create arc. Kafka listened. He pounded away at every rep, “always wanting to do it right,” Basanez said.

And it wasn't just improving mechanics, both Kafka and Persa had stated in previous articles that Baz really helped them in the mental aspects (arguably more important) of the game, such as making quicker and better decisions, ball placement, etc.

The one QB that McC can take credit for in developing is Thorson, but despite 5 years in the program (4 as a starter), Thorson never achieved that high level of decision making a QB with all his experience should have.

Now, do agree that Fitz played a large role in the O turtling, but can't say McC's O was complementary when there were way too many times when the O not only had trouble scoring, but had difficulty moving the ball (it's not "ball control" when there were way too many instances of 3 and out).

Good article on Kafka. Had no idea his mom's parents were Puerto Rican "immigrants."
I enjoyed your comments as well.
I can't agree with you that because Kafka worked with Basanez that McCall deserves no credit for Kafka's development.
The fact is that we had a pretty good run under McCall and that he gets at least some credit for every success.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT