ADVERTISEMENT

Renderings of 2026 stadium

Speaking of whale donors, Bloomberg donates $1 billion to JHU School of Medicine to make tuition free for most students (families making less than $300k).

Wonder if Bloomberg would be donating a bit differently if JHU had big time athletics?
I would rather Bloomberg create a $1 billion nationwide scholarship program to make medical school free to students whose families made less than $80,000 attending any top 20 medical school but it is their choice. I’m sure a football program (or lack of one) was a non-factor in their donation. I’m pretty sure a lot of NU alum donate to our school based on many things other than our athletic program but then there are those who donate specifically because of our sports programs.

Athlon - Anonymous coaches on NU

How much of that was due to Hank's D?

Disagree that his O paired well, as his Read&React scheme required an experienced QB; which is why the Cats pretty much never had a young frosh/RS come in and be anything other than a glorified RB (with the exception of Siemian in spot duty), and were completely lost when the starter went down to injury.

But not only did his scheme require an experienced QB, it also required the players around the QB to be on the same page - which is why we pretty much never saw a young, inexperienced WR come in and be an impact contributor.

Otoh, we have seen young, inexperienced players come in (whether it is due to injury or graduation) and make an instant impact in Hank's defense.

Persa still has his letter from Walker, which was written not long before coach passed.

Where's the proof that McC had a lot to do in developing Kafka and Persa?

Had previously linked a no of articles where the 2 credited (quite effusively at that) Basanez for their marked improvements as a passer.

Kafka is pretty far removed from his time at NU, and yet this recent article still mentions Baz (nothing about McC).

At Northwestern, he became an NFL prospect after spending hours working with former Wildcats quarterback Brett Basanez — in order to stop throwing line-drive passes. Basanez, then in the NFL, had Kafka stand near the goal post and “bend” throws over it, to create arc. Kafka listened. He pounded away at every rep, “always wanting to do it right,” Basanez said.

And it wasn't just improving mechanics, both Kafka and Persa had stated in previous articles that Baz really helped them in the mental aspects (arguably more important) of the game, such as making quicker and better decisions, ball placement, etc.

The one QB that McC can take credit for in developing is Thorson, but despite 5 years in the program (4 as a starter), Thorson never achieved that high level of decision making a QB with all his experience should have.

Now, do agree that Fitz played a large role in the O turtling, but can't say McC's O was complementary when there were way too many times when the O not only had trouble scoring, but had difficulty moving the ball (it's not "ball control" when there were way too many instances of 3 and out).
The only place I would disagree was in his ability to manage the two QB system in 2012 . It was really the only time I can recall a true sharing of the QB position with both quarterbacks doing a great job. McCall manage to use both QBs effectively along with effective running with Venric Marks and Trumpy. Those were all his recruits and you have to give him credit for their development . I’m not saying things were perfect but he managed to use their talents effectively. I still remember the feeling of finally getting that bowl victory and the best part was sharing it with people on this board in the Jacksonville parking lot after the game against Mississippi State. It would be easy to look back on that 10 win season and feel like we should have done more but at the time it felt so impressive. That was the best balance we ever had with both offense and defense contributing. I think it set the standard of our expectation and really what we want as a base line (not the two QB position but the equal contribution of offense and defense that created a winning attitude).

The only stat that truly matters is wins and losses and 9/12 seasons with McCall had 6 wins or more during regular season. These also included 3 overall 10 win seasons 2 9 win seasons etc. His Os paired well with the rest of the program to help deliver those seasons.

And if numbers went down because we went away from the spread because Fitz decided to go that way, why then is McCall blamed for lower producing O? Again wins and losses are the important stat and if it helped accomplish that, then he was still doing his job.

How much of that was due to Hank's D?

Disagree that his O paired well, as his Read&React scheme required an experienced QB; which is why the Cats pretty much never had a young frosh/RS come in and be anything other than a glorified RB (with the exception of Siemian in spot duty), and were completely lost when the starter went down to injury.

But not only did his scheme require an experienced QB, it also required the players around the QB to be on the same page - which is why we pretty much never saw a young, inexperienced WR come in and be an impact contributor.

Otoh, we have seen young, inexperienced players come in (whether it is due to injury or graduation) and make an instant impact in Hank's defense.

I believe that Persa was Walker's last QB recruit (he was in class of 2007 but recruiting started under Walker) McCall did not get here till after as his first year as OC was 2008. He had a lot to do with developing Persa, Kafka and Bacher and did well with all three but did not recruit them. Over all, it would seem reasonable to rate him as weaker at QB recruiting (or at least inconsistent) but would have to rate him as reasonably strong at QB development

Persa still has his letter from Walker, which was written not long before coach passed.

Where's the proof that McC had a lot to do in developing Kafka and Persa?

Had previously linked a no of articles where the 2 credited (quite effusively at that) Basanez for their marked improvements as a passer.

Kafka is pretty far removed from his time at NU, and yet this recent article still mentions Baz (nothing about McC).

At Northwestern, he became an NFL prospect after spending hours working with former Wildcats quarterback Brett Basanez — in order to stop throwing line-drive passes. Basanez, then in the NFL, had Kafka stand near the goal post and “bend” throws over it, to create arc. Kafka listened. He pounded away at every rep, “always wanting to do it right,” Basanez said.

And it wasn't just improving mechanics, both Kafka and Persa had stated in previous articles that Baz really helped them in the mental aspects (arguably more important) of the game, such as making quicker and better decisions, ball placement, etc.

The one QB that McC can take credit for in developing is Thorson, but despite 5 years in the program (4 as a starter), Thorson never achieved that high level of decision making a QB with all his experience should have.

Now, do agree that Fitz played a large role in the O turtling, but can't say McC's O was complementary when there were way too many times when the O not only had trouble scoring, but had difficulty moving the ball (it's not "ball control" when there were way too many instances of 3 and out).

McGee did run a

The NU record for the best offensive production in a single season is 6003 yards, averaging over 500 yards per game with Dunbar as OC. Of course we also had Colby’s Swiss cheese defense which holds the record for worse defense giving up 5760 yards. That was Basanez’s senior year and Tyrell Sutton’s freshman year. We went 7-5 but there were not enough bowl games for Big Ten teams.
But we played in the Sun Bowl.
Reactions: hdhntr1

OT: the sport of cycling and the Tour

I believe the only other sport that may approach cycling for endurance and burning calories is cross country skiing. Watching the Tour de France it’s amazing what these riders can do, esp. climbing and descending mountains. I’ve always enjoyed watching the Tour and the beautiful French countryside and historical ruins the cyclists pass by. Just a colorful event I’ve enjoyed watching for decades now. A real classic up there with any other major sporting event.

Growing up in the land of ice and snow in an era when off road biking (at least here) was not a thing, cross country skiing fit the landscape well though. Your observations about its benefits just might motivate me to get back into it when the snow flies.

That said, my progeny in Nevada and California are really into biking off road, particularly in the mountains between Carson City and Lake Tahoe.

Here is a past email relating one of their efforts:

"Today was the Carson City Epic off-road mountain bike race climbing from Carson City up the Sierra Nevada mountains overlooking Lake Tahoe and then back down to Carson. Conrad drove in town last night to compete in the “35 mile” race which was actually 41 miles. I did the “50 mile” race which was closer to 48 miles. Elevation climb was about one mile. It’s a really grueling but beautiful race with a ton of climbing. People from all over the country come, with the professionals racing tomorrow. I was really impressed that Conrad did it with so little training."
Reactions: Hungry Jack

I vaguely recall us having a terrific offense the year Garrick McGee was OC. But he like to throw the ball as I remember and I think coach Fitz was happier with more of a ball-control, slow the game down type of game. But I could be wrong.
McGee did run a
He, Alviti, Siemina and Colter were all recruited by and under McCall. As far as OCs deserving credit when Fitz was HC, there is basically McCall and the 2020 season under Jake where we had successful seasons. McGee not so much. Maybe if he had stayed but his O led to a good number of turnovers while he was here

Going back to 93? Was Barnett as HC also OC in 1995-6? Cannot really find anything. For the most part it was an O (strong OL) that paired with a top D and was big on the run with DA gaining as much running the ball as Schnurr threw the ball 1785 and 1792 for Schnurr passing. Got a little more balance in 96 but while D coordinator listed nothing for OC.

Other than those, the others were associated with Walker and that included Kevin Wilson who together with Walker put together the spread. But part of being prolific was that we had no D. He is likely number one generating a lot of yds and points but not sure he would have matched well with the strong D centered team we went to under Fitz and Hank. Still reasonable to put him #1 But he was also known as an ass. Other than that I probably put McCall, especially since he meshed so well with the D centered team. I liked Dunbar could put him on par with McCall but he left after RW passed Sorry to see him go. McGee never really showed that much here but only here for a couple years. So overall, Wilson probably 1st, Dunbar and McCall about even at #2 and McGee and Jake similar behind.
The NU record for the best offensive production in a single season is 6003 yards, averaging over 500 yards per game with Dunbar as OC. Of course we also had Colby’s Swiss cheese defense which holds the record for worse defense giving up 5760 yards. That was Basanez’s senior year and Tyrell Sutton’s freshman year. We went 7-5 but there were not enough bowl games for Big Ten teams.

It will always be a question of whether it is personnel or coaching and the real answer is that it is both.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT