ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Is it time to panic?

The second signing day came by and we got zilch. So far, we have managed 1 transfer and some teams in the B1G are in double digits. In fact, Wisky has 3 times as many transfer QB’s as NU has transfer players. For a team that needs as much help as anyone in the portal, current results are pathetic. I realize there is a second entry date in the portal this Spring, but if NU fills up it’s allotment of scholarships by the first game it might be with transfers from Sangamon State. It’s February.

So what has gone so wrong? Is the message gone stale? Has NIL torpedoed any hope of getting premier transfer? Is Admissions lurking in the background causing more problems than we know? Is NU playing by the no contact rules and getting in the game so late that it is impossible to get traction? Is the staff so ingrained in the HS recruiting process that they just don’t know the best way to go about portal recruiting? Has the results on the field relegated us to an afterthought?

I have no insight into the why’s. As is NU’s custom, the flow of information is as tight as the skin on a grape. It really doesn’t matter what the cause is, it just matters that the staff adapt and figure it out. As often being accused as a resident Pollyanna, this is getting very concerning to me.

FB RECRUITING Class sizes, including transfers

We may not recognized the Huskers this year. Matt Ruhle has been busy since taking over in Lincoln. According to this tweet from Chris Vannini, the Huskers have brought in 40 new players, counting both high school recruits and transfers. That's a BIG number. Look at the numbers for these programs -- though they all have experienced a coaching change, which is the reason for the large turnover.

As we know, there are 20 new Wildcats -- 19 high schoolers and one transfer. The Cats have a lot of work yet to do in the portal. So far, they've lost eight and gained one.

Login to view embedded media

FB RECRUITING IT’S NATIONAL SIGNING DAY!

Or, as it’s known in Evanston this year, Wednesday.

I don’t expect any LOIs to be signed for Northwestern today. Barring a really, really big surprise, the Cats are done with their Class of 2023. As of this morning NU’s class is ranked 44th in the country and ninth in the Big Ten.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Beat Michigan

I feel this is a game of Biblical proportions.

Losing @ Iowa is normal. And it's not like we were steam rolled.

Maybe I am just too jaded with NU basketball, but I feel if we don't beat MI at home, we don't make the tourney. We'll fall solidly into the middle of the pack and go downhill.

Please win Cats. Please. Juwan Howard needs to be, even if metaphorically, slapped. Back handed if possible.

Ultimate Warrior Wrestling GIF by WWE

Underwood

I understand that it’s been a frustrating year for the Illini and Underwood is known as a hard-ass, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen a coach going off on his team like that in a game situation. He was extremely fired up throughout, then absolutely laid into his team after the technical foul in the second half. Yes the technical was extremely dumb as Illinois was on a nice little run, but it felt like he lost his guys in that moment with how he got after them. NU went on its own run after the technical (something like 21-7 if I recall correctly), then game over.

Frustration is understandable, but felt like he crossed the line and the results showed it. Anyone else notice it?

Looking for 2 for Michigan game

I've got family in town, and one of them is looking to get on the purple bandwagon and asked me if we could go to the Michigan game on Thursday. Especially given all the discussion around here about how good seats often go empty, I figured I'd start the search here. If anyone has 2 tickets they're not going to use, I can promise you they'd be filled with purple-wearing people who will cheer.

Willing to pay a fair price. Parking also of interest.
Reactions: cats_man_too

QB Recruiting

Obviously QB recruiting has been abysmal for us. Does NU have a goal for number of QBs it wants per class? I feel like we have not recruited kids that played QB in high school and converted them to another position like receiver if it does not work out. I feel like NU used to do that more in the past. It would be nice to have multiple shots to get the QB position right per class.

+/- for the Iowa illusion

PlayerMinutesNU ptsIowa PtsRaw +/-Player AdjustNet +/-
Verhoeven173234-2+3.7+1.7
Berry285251+1-2.5-1.5
Beran264853-5-4.3-9.3
Buie326074-14+3.7-10.3
Martinelli162338-15+4.5-10.5
Nicholson223551-16+3.2-12.8
Barnhizer223551-16-1.6-17.6
Audige376578-13-6.6-19.6

This game was one of those where our rotation seemed out of whack. Tydus Verhoeven played a relatively strong game, along with Ty Berry. We outscored the Hawkeyes 52-51 when Berry was in the game. That means we got outscored 35-18 in the 12 minutes Berry was sitting on the bench. Verhoeven lineups only got outscored 34-32, but he outplayed his teammates.

It should be noted that our starters (Nicholson/Beran/Audige/Buie/Berry) played 10 minutes and outscored the Hawkeyes 22-16. When that happens, it focuses my attention on how each coach managed his roster. Collins (presumably) shocked most Wildcat fans by bringing in Nick Martinelli for Boo Buie 6 minutes into the game, with NU leading 11-8. (Buie had zero fouls). Martinelli played the next 6 1/2 minutes as Collins tried various new combinations before bringing the starters back, NU now trailing 25-22. Martinelli did some good things individually, but we got outscored 17-11 while we experimented with new lineups.

The starters then went on a 4-0 spurt featuring a Nicholson dunk. Buie drew the 2nd foul on Rebraca. Rebraca went to the bench. Collins responded to this opportunity by removing Nicholson, as if he was following a script. With Rebraca out, Verhoeven and the 4 starters then played 4 minutes, outscoring Iowa 9-6, to take a 35-31 lead. Nicholson was at the scorer's table, but Beran picked up his first foul with 2:18 left in the half and Collins changed his mind, replacing Beran with Martinelli, putting Nicholson back on the bench. Iowa then tied the game at 39 with a 8-4 run.

In the 2nd half, the starters traded punches for 4 minutes and Iowa outscored us 10-9 to take a 49-48 lead. Barnhizer was subbed in for Buie and played the rest of the way, meaning that our starters didn't play together for the last 16 minutes. Martinelli played from the 14 minute mark to the 8 minute mark. Verhoeven sat out the last 11 minutes. Audige played the first 18:30 of the second half and got tired. Nicholson, Buie, Barnhizer and Audige played from 7:38 to 1:30 and Iowa stretched a 62-59 lead into a lopsided 84-70 advantage.

For the game, the Martinelli/Nicholson/Audige/Buie lineups got outscored 11-2 in 4+ minutes of action.
Lineups with 4 starters (Beran, Buie, Audige, Berry) and either Nicholson or Verhoeven racked up a 34-22 advantage, but only played 14 minutes in total.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT