ADVERTISEMENT

Let's take Ohio State's "I" tomorrow...

Henceforth to be known as The Oh_o State University. By proving that a program with Integrity can play well and hang in with a program, without. We have done that recently, let's do it again and keep the "I".

Integrity works both ways,though. Cats cannot give up 28 points in the first half from blown explosion plays, without revealing NU's Integrity to be the problem.

Big Ten TV Schedule: Week Ten (11/5)

All times CENTRAL, and all games played on Saturday, November 5. Rankings come from the CFP poll. All games nationally televised unless otherwise indicated.

First, the NU game:

#2 Ohio State @ Northwestern
11:00 AM, ABC
PxP: Sean McDonough
Color: Todd Blackledge

And the rest:

Minnesota @ Nebraska
11:00 AM, ESPN2
PxP: Anish Shroff
Color: Brock Osweiler

Maryland @ Wisconsin
11:00 AM, BTN
PxP: Jeff Levering
Color: Anthony Herron

Iowa @ Purdue
11:00 AM, FS1
PxP: Eric Collins
Color: Devin Gardner

#15 Penn State @ Indiana
2:30 PM, ABC
PxP: Bob Wischusen
Color: Dan Orlovsky

Michigan State @ #16 Illinois
2:30 PM, BTN
PxP: Cory Provus
Color: Matt Millen

#5 Michigan @ Rutgers
6:30 PM, BTN
PxP: Brandon Gaudin
Color: Jake Butt

Talent Identification

Anyone know how recruits are identified and whether that responsibility falls on director of recruiting or they have another process? I like Fitz and think he is a good man and a great role model for our program. However, one of the many things Fitz has struggled with is identifying talent. QB recruiting has been disaster under his watch with the exception of Thorson. I feel that Walker's regime was either better at identifying people or better at coaching them up. We have amazing facilities, yet the talent is not there.

What would it take?

Okay, let's talk about what we can legitimately hope for on Saturday. What would be a moral victory? Save your "Hur, hur, hur. There's no such thing as a moral victory. Hur, hur, hur." posts for another thread. We're not going to beat OSU. We're not going to come close to beating OSU. Still, I am going to be there on Saturday. And so are many of you. What can we cheer for? I have three ideas. Add to the list as best you can.

1) Make OSU punt at least once each half.
2) No more than 2 turnovers.
3) Score at least once each quarter.

In addition, and it won't be part of my moral victory calculation, let's complete at least three passes of more than ten yards inside the hashmarks. That's just a thing that has been on my mind.

The Place Was Pretty Empty At The Exhibition Game

I enjoyed being able to clearly hear the players calling stuff out to each other, the coaches shouting direction from the sidelines, the bench shouting encouragement and warnings, the players on court responding, and etc. I don't know how the players felt about the empty stands, maybe it just reminded them of the covid season or something, but it was good for me.

And some of the band comments were pretty funny, another something I've rarely been able to hear over the years.
Reactions: Titanium999

A few articles about NU hoops

Some Indiana guy writes about the Wildcats prospects

The Athletic has an article on Bryant McIntosh as one of the Power 5's youngest assistant coaches

A Twitter video of our guys scrimmaging...

Login to view embedded media
Ryan Young comparing Jon Scheyer to previous coaches...

Pete Nance talks about his new team, with a lot of video from practice.

Real Passing of a Legendary USM Football Star (not Favre)

Unfortunately, a real University of Southern Mississippi football star has passed away (unlike the recent fake news postings about Brett Favre's demise). In this instance, Ray Guy aka the Greater Punter in Football History passed away. He is an Pro Football Hall of Famer who is also the namesake of college's most coveted award for punters - the Ray Guy Award. Guy was the first pure punter drafted in the NFL Draft First Round. He won three (3) Super Bowls with the Oakland (1976, 1980) and Los Angeles Raiders (1983). In Super Bowl XVIII against the Washington Redskins, he was noted for helping keep the pressure on Washington's prolific offense by kicking multiple punts deep in Washington territory including making a Herculean catch on a high snap in the 2nd Quarter and coolly getting off the kick.

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: drewjin

How would 2020 have gone if not for COVID?

Something we haven't really discussed much here, but probably worth a conversation since that season alone interrupted what would otherwise be an an inexcusably bad stretch in the program's history.

First and foremost, does anyone remember when Peyton Ramsey committed to playing? Just wondering if his commitment was influenced either way by COVID. I think it is fair to say he was our MVP that season; obviously the defense was stout but without a QB we wouldn't have been close to this level of success.

Looking back, I think we had a fairly balanced schedule - neither too easy nor murderer's row. We missed a scheduled game vs. Minnesota due to COVID, and they finished that season at 3-4 so it's reasonable to assume a win there (rather than assume a definite loss).

However you look at the 2020 season, I give full credit to Fitz and the coaches for keeping the train on the tracks - I get that people might argue 2020 was weird - OBVIOUSLY it was, but this season was all about discipline and tuning out the weird, which Northwestern did better than just about any other team. Just wondering if people think we would have enjoyed comparable success if COVID had not been a thing.

Size of new stadium -

A friend is having a wedding anniversary next spring. 30 years! Impressive!

He has always lived down South but recently moved to Birmingham. He told me "if you can join us, why not stay an extra day or two and let's go watch the USFL at the UAB football stadium".

I had forgotten quite frankly that the USFL played all its games last year in Birmingham. It was essentially a "TV League" but frankly, maybe that wasn't a bad way to start in the year one of its existence.

I looked up the new UAB stadium just now. It really is pretty much brand new. Built for four to five times less than what we want to pay. And it seats just under 50,000 people.

I truly don't understand why we as a program want to build a stadium that seats less than what our average attendance is now (and 10,000 less than our average attendance was in the Gary Barnett post Rose Bowl years when we averaged close to 45.000 or so). For the love of goodness, stop the madness and don't build something the size of a MAC stadium! It will be too small on the day it opens!

No normal fan will ever be able to afford tickets and because football pretty much pays for everything regarding sports at Northwestern, can you imagine what the price for munchies and drinks will be? For parking?

Save 600,000,0000 and spend it on NIL for goodness sakes, that is the way college football is heading!

UAB - Built for four-five times less than what we want to spend.

Note, I DO understand the desire to "fit the footprint" of where we are currently at - otherwise Evanston won't allow the new facility. But I am sure architects can figure something out by building down a bit into the ground (is the water table too high that near the lake?) or by doing other things.

Hoops scouting report

Here's my take on the exhibition game won by the Cats 69-49. On defense, allowed a lot of penetration in the first half but really cleaned that up in half number two. Verhoven has some nice defensive instincts, but Chase is our best all around defender.On offense, we are going to live or die by the three. Boo has trouble finishing at the rim drives but is money from the free throw line when he gets there. Audige looked like he did two years ago (completely healthy now?) He can create his own shot when the play breaks down, shot his free throws more confidently as well as his 3s. Boo didn't try to force shots and both he and Chase tried to set up teammates. They will have to score in bunches for us to win in the Big Ten. Ty Berry had an awful shooting night, missing numerous open shots. I've noticed that he has a tendency towards pressing when the first couple shots don't go down. Barnhizer is going to be a nice lift off the bench. Good, confident shooter and a threat from 3. Beran is the Beran we've seen but is a veteran presence and should contribute 8 to 10 points per game and help on the boards.. Verhoven has some offensive moves and is a good defender. He will start in the middle. Nicholson is still raw. Moves better, but he still looks like he is "feeling his way" out there. I doubt Hunger or Martinelli will help much this season, but they give us some big bodies. Maybe they'll mature as the season goes on. We will need Roper going forward, that's for sure,and we can't afford injuries to either Boo or Chase.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT