ADVERTISEMENT

100 days

are we limited to one a day?

Do whatever you gotta do.

And I'm planning on going all over time, though most of the best highlights on Youtube are from the last 24 years. I just figured for "96" and "95" I had to do those two titles.

Do whatever you gotta do.

And I'm planning on going all over time, though most of the best highlights on Youtube are from the last 24 years. I just figured for "96" and "95" I had to do those two titles.
I found this one to be...cathartic. all four quarters are (separately) available on YouTube. not good quality, but...lake the posts

I found this one to be...cathartic. all four quarters are (separately) available on YouTube. not good quality, but...lake the posts

That looks like an awfully large contingent of presumably NU students on the field tearing down the goalposts. It seems bigger than what you saw in the student section in 2018! Considering they suffered through 34 consecutive losses, all I can say is, way to go 1982 Cats!!! Were any of you at that game? Just wondering if the crowd was large from the get-go, or if it was small at the beginning, but as NU built a large lead, the students start showing up en masse sensing an end to the losing streak?

That looks like an awfully large contingent of presumably NU students on the field tearing down the goalposts. It seems bigger than what you saw in the student section in 2018! Considering they suffered through 34 consecutive losses, all I can say is, way to go 1982 Cats!!! Were any of you at that game? Just wondering if the crowd was large from the get-go, or if it was small at the beginning, but as NU built a large lead, the students start showing up en masse sensing an end to the losing streak?
I was at the game. It was a blast as I recall. I milled around as they were tearing down the goal posts, walked behind them as they made their way to the lake but lost interest and went to the libes.

On the Losing-One's-Sh**-Scale that one ranked an 11 for me. Outa 10.

Me too. I watched the game on TV and could not believe what I was seeing. Fortunately I record the game on the DVR and watch the recorded version. I immediately watched that play again Six or eight times. What really got me was, all of our players were moving toward the end zone when the ball was intercepted, so it look like he had about 10 guys in front of him blocking, like this whole convoy moving to the end zone. What a play!

My Freshman year, was at that game. Helped carry the post to the lake. Don't remember the crowd size at various points in the game, pretty sure I was drunk as hell :)

Reactions: drewjin
93 days.

I know we didn't win, but...NU in the Big Ten Championship!

On the Losing-One's-Sh**-Scale that one ranked an 11 for me. Outa 10.
was it the victory right game where Napo (or Bentley?) ran a guy down from behind to save a score and keep us in it? I almost ran off the road screaming at the radio. My poor son, around 9 years old at the time, thought I'd lost my mind. (he was half right)

was it the victory right game where Napo (or Bentley?) ran a guy down from behind to save a score and keep us in it? I almost ran off the road screaming at the radio. My poor son, around 9 years old at the time, thought I'd lost my mind. (he was half right)

It was Napo. From out of nowhere. Ended up saving the Cats 4 points when the defense held and forced a FG.

GOUNUII

93 days.

I know we didn't win, but...NU in the Big Ten Championship!

We did not win but it was still a great experience going to that game. I’m really glad I went. Fortunately I was visiting my sister in Louisville so it was very easy to drive to the game and back. Also, shameless plug, the Purple Party really turned out great, great food, great location, very close to the stadium, and a little more than 80 people showed up. I hope everyone else was as happy as I was With the way the party turned out. There was a separate cash bar for our party, and based upon the bar revenue, I would guess that a lot of folks had a good time. Part of it was that many people stuck around, had a couple of extra drinks, and watched the Indiana basketball game.

Reactions: NUMBfan
We broke my friend’s couch watching this play. Initially yelling for him to go down, then realizing he was gonna score.
The one NU section in the Metrodome was absolutely bonkers. Literally everyone was screaming and jumping and hugging and just complete chaos. While the entire rest of the stadium was complete silence. That was one of my best away game experiences.

Before I get to "the pick", one other memory - we got to the tailgate lot late ish and so drank a fair few beers in a short time - the train ride to the stadium was brutal, and once we got inside had to sprint to the restroom which also had a line. So the first play I saw as I walked into the concourse was Kafka's perfect fade ball to Ebert in the slot. It was a good omen. Also distinctly remember one play with a long run by Kafka toward the sideline where he just kept going and going - maybe 60 yards? Didn't quite get the TD on that play but close.

Onto "The Pick". That play ran the gamut of emotions from (i) why are they doing this shouldn't they just kneel, (ii) he throws deep oh dear, (iii) picked! yes! let's go to OT, (iv) steps past tackle he has space!! heck yes let's get into FG range, (v) slides through huge crowd somehow unscathed! oh goodness!!, (vi) TD, pandemonium. It was incredible because as loud as the NU section was immediately upon step 3, it just kept ratcheting up the volume at each subsequent level. Just jumping and hugging and yelling every which way. And the rest of the stadium was quiet as a morgue.

Especially after the brutal and borderline cataclysmic loss @Indiana the prior week (I'd organized a 120-person NUMB road trip to that one, ugh, only 6 of us drove up to Minneapolis the following week), it was incredible. Perfect combination of the sorrows and joys of NU football. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Go Cats

The one NU section in the Metrodome was absolutely bonkers. Literally everyone was screaming and jumping and hugging and just complete chaos. While the entire rest of the stadium was complete silence. That was one of my best away game experiences.

Before I get to "the pick", one other memory - we got to the tailgate lot late ish and so drank a fair few beers in a short time - the train ride to the stadium was brutal, and once we got inside had to sprint to the restroom which also had a line. So the first play I saw as I walked into the concourse was Kafka's perfect fade ball to Ebert in the slot. It was a good omen. Also distinctly remember one play with a long run by Kafka toward the sideline where he just kept going and going - maybe 60 yards? Didn't quite get the TD on that play but close.

Onto "The Pick". That play ran the gamut of emotions from (i) why are they doing this shouldn't they just kneel, (ii) he throws deep oh dear, (iii) picked! yes! let's go to OT, (iv) steps past tackle he has space!! heck yes let's get into FG range, (v) slides through huge crowd somehow unscathed! oh goodness!!, (vi) TD, pandemonium. It was incredible because as loud as the NU section was immediately upon step 3, it just kept ratcheting up the volume at each subsequent level. Just jumping and hugging and yelling every which way. And the rest of the stadium was quiet as a morgue.

Especially after the brutal and borderline cataclysmic loss @Indiana the prior week (I'd organized a 120-person NUMB road trip to that one, ugh, only 6 of us drove up to Minneapolis the following week), it was incredible. Perfect combination of the sorrows and joys of NU football. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Go Cats
This is great! Thanks for sharing!

The shot at 45 seconds shows a gap between Gaz's helmet and the QB's so I think a flag would have been over turned. It was a vicious looking hit. I remember wondering if he might have gotten called for Unnecessary Roughness for planting the QB into the ground. He sort of lifted him up and slammed him as much as knocked him over.

The shot at 45 seconds shows a gap between Gaz's helmet and the QB's so I think a flag would have been over turned. It was a vicious looking hit. I remember wondering if he might have gotten called for Unnecessary Roughness for planting the QB into the ground. He sort of lifted him up and slammed him as much as knocked him over.
The suspension/ejection can be overturned, but not the original penalty. Oh well... moot point.

88 days. I think we might not all agree that "PersaStrong" was a good idea, but we CAN all agree that Persa highlight reel is great to watch.

I love the run he has at the two-minute mark and that tiny tiny feint that he was going to slide and then he went several more yards instead. He's as tough as they come.

This string of video highlights has really been great, and I have enjoyed all of them. There are two games that were among my favorites that I have never seen video clips from, namely the 30-6 win over Air Force in 1995 and the 40-13 win at Iowa in 1996. Both were bounce back games after losses, and the dominance the Cats showed over two pretty good teams went a long way toward reestablishing my confidence in the team. My memory is the Fitz was really dominant against Air Force, and Darnell Autry and the run game overwhelmed the Hawkeyes. If anyone has a link to game highlights of either, I would think they would be a welcome addition to this thread.

Reactions: StreamCat
88 days. I think we might not all agree that "PersaStrong" was a good idea, but we CAN all agree that Persa highlight reel is great to watch.

I love the run he has at the two-minute mark and that tiny tiny feint that he was going to slide and then he went several more yards instead. He's as tough as they come.

What a warrior. And, to use an overused term, he dropped so many dimes that he must have had holes in his pockets. Thor, I love you, brother, but Persa could flat out pass.

They could have extended the video by including the 375 times he saved the line the ignominy of another sack by somehow getting back to the line of scrimmage

87 days. I have no recollection of this game. I guess there are so much more famous "Cardiac Cats" games, and for some reason my favorite highlight of any NU-Indiana game is a punt from 1995 that is still rolling...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT